Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[BP] A bear and a white walker

2 posters

Go down

[BP] A bear and a white walker Empty [BP] A bear and a white walker

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 am

"
Indeed, they were a great aid in securing my steadfast allegiance!"
Jon quips. "
Well, not really. Brom Bartheld and I have been friends ever since we were both prisoners in Lys, more than fifteen years ago. After I came back from the Stepstones, I spent a few years at the court in King's Landing, before I decided to move elsewhere for reasons of my health. I travelled for a while, but then decided to look Brom up and see if his hospitality was as good as I'd heard. And between you and me - it was,"
Jon winks.

"
Hehe, I can imagine that"
Kevan replies, between two more bites from his meat skewer. "
But as I understand it, Ser Brom left his house behind and is not in charge anymore? Is life still the same as before? Within the Marsten household, life has not been easy after Lord Corben's death and at times it felt like it hindered any progress due to the uncertainty...I am glad this chapter is about to be finished and we can look forward to other plans"
he combines the last remark with a nod towards Lady Marsten an Ser Benedict on the other side of the pavilion.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

[BP] A bear and a white walker Empty Re: [BP] A bear and a white walker

Post by Jon Cobb Sun May 31, 2015 12:56 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:"
Hehe, I can imagine that"
Kevan replies, between two more bites from his meat skewer. "
But as I understand it, Ser Brom left his house behind and is not in charge anymore? Is life still the same as before? Within the Marsten household, life has not been easy after Lord Corben's death and at times it felt like it hindered any progress due to the uncertainty...I am glad this chapter is about to be finished and we can look forward to other plans"
he combines the last remark with a nod towards Lady Marsten an Ser Benedict on the other side of the pavilion.
"
I wasn't there when it happened, but yes, the gist of it is that Brom laid down his office and rode off to new adventures. Unfortunately, he failed to publicly state whom he felt should succeed him, so now his grandson Davain and his youngest son Ser Fendrel are in competition to claim the lordship. Because nothing has been decided, there have been no great changes, though Davain has made some attempt to rein in the traditional festivities. In fact, at last year's annual commemorative feast, he had all the serving wenches replaced with middle-aged men, if you can believe that! That's the problem with Davain, really - he just doesn't appreciate a good feast. If he had his way, he'd rule the house from that forge he's built for himself,"
Jon grumbles.

"
However, there is hope that the situation will soon change. Davain and Ser Fendrel seem to be on the verge of sitting down and working out their differences, which will hopefully lead to House Bartheld being able to combine the best of the old with some fresh new ideas."

OOC: I could go on a long rant about why the Bartheld feasts are so important, and what Davain's major malfunction is, but the objective that has sparked all this controversy is under review, so I'm easing up on the whole "
Vote Fendrel"
thing. If you like, I can still give you an earful about the troubles at House Bartheld, but I won't try and persuade you to definitely support Fendrel.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 pm

"
It is nice to hear that the two are working out their differences and combine different approaches instead of them plotting against each other. It happens rarely enough. What are your plans after the Tourney? Are you returning to the Bartheld castle or do you plan to travel further? A man with your reputation surely finds a place, wherever he goes."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:45 pm

"
Well, that depends on the outcome of the dispute between Fendrel and Davain. Should Davain triumph, he will likely forgive Fendrel and welcome him to remain in the family, because in that, at least, he is as true a Bartheld as Fendrel. However, he may not feel quite so generous towards a sellsword who campaigned against his lordship, even if that sellsword happens to be an old and true friend of his grandfather's,"
Jon replies with a wry smile.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm

"
Ah, I see the complications you could face. I for one would prefer a man that is upfront in his political support but has the willingness to stand in for his beliefs, rather than a lickspit with an opinion wavering and depending on circumstances. But unfortunately, that is not the world we live in..."
ending his remark with a shurg of his shoulders.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 pm

"
That's an interesting way of putting it, Ser Kevan. Do you have some personal experience of such a situation?"
Jon asks, his interest clearly piqued.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:00 am

"
Ah, it is more my general conviction that I gained during my time here in Riverrun as a squire, which was only reinforced since. I cannot tell you that one big event, that formed this opinion, because there isn't one"
, and with a slight grin he added "
but maybe I am just a naive knight from a backwater town"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:13 pm

"
I doubt you're all that naive if you squired in the household of the Lord Paramount of the Trident, Ser Kevan,"
Jon answers with a smile. "
Politics is a war of shadows. No one stands up to be counted until they're forced to do so, or they feel certain that the side they support cannot lose. The longer you can keep people guessing, but still trying to get you on their side, the more you stand to gain. And if you can rig it so that both sides will give you something, no matter what the outcome, why then you can't lose. That's the sort of game those lickspittles with the wavering opinions are playing, and all the rest of us are just fodder for their schemes."

"
Speaking of war, may I ask your opinion on the military campaign House Marsten is planning against the mountain folk? What do the Marstens hope to achieve?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 pm

"
The campaign is an absolute necessity! The clan's attacks on our smallfolks' homesteads and even our manors have grew in quantity as well as ferocity in recent months to a point, where a mere strategy of defending our homes is not sufficient anymore. Their warbands grew in numbers and their strategy of 'hit and run' proves to much to handle by our stationary garrison forces. We have to find their hamlets and villages and attack them on their ground to ensure the safety of our smallfolks and the travelers and traders passing our lands..."

During his reply, his voice became, unconsciously, slightly louder

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Beneath his mask, Jon raises an eyebrow at Kevan's strident proclamation.

[url=Awareness][/url]: 3d6k2 9 to determine whether Kevan believes what he's saying, or if he's perhaps just "
spouting the party line"
. (Difficulty should equal your passive Deception).

"
So it's to be a punitive expedition then? Bring overwhelming force to bear, burn down their homes and kill as many women, children and old folk as possible until the warriors surrender for lack of support or to save what's left of their tribes? Has such a tactic been successful in the past? I was under the impression that these clans of yours have survived in the mountains for centuries?"
Jon's tone is neutral, betraying only the interest of a professional military man.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 pm

He shrugs his shoulders again.
"
Unfortunately, such is war, as you may know better than most of us here... Our main goal is to trace as many of their warbands as possible and encourage them to stop attacking our lands. But tracking an enemy whose whole tactic revolves around attacking undefended homesteads before disappearing again is not easy. I fear it is inevitable that the victims of such a campaign comprises more than just young men in fighting age."

He pauses for a second.
"
Yes, they lived in these mountains for longer than anyone remembers, and that will likely still be the case in the future. Our goal is to convince them to move back to the more reclusive areas on the higher grounds, where they lived before and to make sure they stay away from our smallfolks. I believe this is the only viable tactic, but I am certainly open to suggestions?"

OOC:
Your test result is not enough to succeed

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:He shrugs his shoulders again.
"
Unfortunately, such is war, as you may know better than most of us here... Our main goal is to trace as many of their warbands as possible and encourage them to stop attacking our lands. But tracking an enemy whose whole tactic revolves around attacking undefended homesteads before disappearing again is not easy. I fear it is inevitable that the victims of such a campaign comprises more than just young men in fighting age."
"
I would say that it's the expedient face of war, Ser Kevan - harm the foe by destroying his ability to wage war, rather than fight the soldiers of the opposing side. It's the course chosen by lords who either don't care what harm befalls the smallfolk of their rivals, or who are so convinced of the righteousness of their own cause that any sacrifice may be made in its name. Yet these same lords usually take it as a mortal insult when someone does the same to their own subjects. It's a great tactic for starting or perpetuating a feud, but in my experience it rarely leads to any lasting peace. The only men who truly stand to profit in the end are mercenaries like myself."

Kevan Lyras wrote:He pauses for a second.
"
Yes, they lived in these mountains for longer than anyone remembers, and that will likely still be the case in the future. Our goal is to convince them to move back to the more reclusive areas on the higher grounds, where they lived before and to make sure they stay away from our smallfolks. I believe this is the only viable tactic, but I am certainly open to suggestions?"
"
Well, has anyone tried talking to them? For example, do you know if they raid because they want to or because they need to? If it's the latter, perhaps a mutually beneficial accommodation may be reached instead? In fact...do you mind if I share a story with you, Ser Kevan?"

"
Did you know that I was once a lord myself? It's true - Prince Daemon granted me an island in the Stepstones as my own fief when he was crowned King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea. When I arrived to plant my banner, the islanders were none too pleased to see me. They were pirates, thieves and smugglers, or at least descended from such, and they had little patience for anyone who tried to call himself their lord and to impose a king's justice on their activities. I had the choice of trying to force them to accept me or to find a means of coexisting with them. Since I didn't fancy sleeping with a blade under my pillow for the rest of my life, I decided to try coexistence."

"
At first all I got was dirty looks, but when the war heated up again, and I needed men to crew my ships, I promised them a fair share of the loot, and suddenly I had more volunteers than I knew what to do with. After the first few raids, when they knew I meant business, the islanders even started volunteering to help move the loot, and thanks to their connections, we all made a bigger profit than I could have managed on my own. They never loved me, and they could barely bring themselves to call me m'lord, but eventually they accepted me and were even willing to pay taxes to help develop the island. Of course, none of that mattered in the end, since I couldn't hold the damn place when the Prince withdrew back to Westeros, but I'm certain I was on the right path to becoming those people's lord in fact as well as in name."

"
If your mountain clans are anything like my islanders, perhaps you could try something similar? Give them a reason to not fight you, and you might eventually get them to heed you as well. In time, you might even make a long term peace. Or you can kill as many as you can find, drive them back into the mountains, and then have to repeat the whole exercise a few years later, when there's a new generation of warriors ready to try their luck."

Kevan Lyras wrote:OOC:
OOC: Sneaky type, eh? Smile

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Kevan listens closely to Jon's tale. After all, it is not often, a war hero is sharing his personal story.

"
I would say that it's the expedient face of war, Ser Kevan - harm the foe by destroying his ability to wage war, rather than fight the soldiers of the opposing side. It's the course chosen by lords who either don't care what harm befalls the smallfolk of their rivals, or who are so convinced of the righteousness of their own cause that any sacrifice may be made in its name. Yet these same lords usually take it as a mortal insult when someone does the same to their own subjects. It's a great tactic for starting or perpetuating a feud, but in my experience it rarely leads to any lasting peace. The only men who truly stand to profit in the end are mercenaries like myself."

"
Well yes, it is expedient and sometimes it is even necessary, even if I don't like it. Looking at it from this perspective, it is the same the mountain clans are doing, even if for different reasons. If they were merely attacking our troops, this would not be as big of an issue as it is now."

"
I appreciate that you share your personal experience, I really do! It shows that the Seven have blessed you not only with martial prowess, but also a some wits to go with! But with the mountain men, I don't see how we could come to a similar arrangement. To my knowledge, there have been numerous attempts to negotiate with these clans, some were even successful for some time, but in the end they all went back to their traditional ways... I agree with you, the current strategy is not the most satisfying, but with the situation how it is right now, we cannot afford to bumble about some morally superior solutions, while our lands are plundered and our smallfolks get raped and killed..."

He pauses again and grabs another beer. Taking a long sip, he continues:

"
But maybe, we should leave this rather dark topic for another time. We are at a party!"

He takes another large gulp from the beer mug

OOC:
OOC: Sneaky type, eh? Smile
It's the rules man! :-)

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Well yes, it is expedient and sometimes it is even necessary, even if I don't like it. Looking at it from this perspective, it is the same the mountain clans are doing, even if for different reasons. If they were merely attacking our troops, this would not be as big of an issue as it is now."

"
I appreciate that you share your personal experience, I really do! It shows that the Seven have blessed you not only with martial prowess, but also a some wits to go with! But with the mountain men, I don't see how we could come to a similar arrangement. To my knowledge, there have been numerous attempts to negotiate with these clans, some were even successful for some time, but in the end they all went back to their traditional ways... I agree with you, the current strategy is not the most satisfying, but with the situation how it is right now, we cannot afford to bumble about some morally superior solutions, while our lands are plundered and our smallfolks get raped and killed..."
"
It's your war, Ser, you do as you please,"
Jon shrugs. "
But in my experience, everyone can be bought in one way or another - even the Faith Militant will hearken to those who speak the right words or make the right promises. So perhaps what you need is both - an iron fist and a velvet glove? Just something to consider..."

Kevan Lyras wrote:He pauses again and grabs another beer. Taking a long sip, he continues:

"
But maybe, we should leave this rather dark topic for another time. We are at a party!"

He takes another large gulp from the beer mug
"
You're right! My apologies for darkening the mood,"
Jon bows ostenatiously before taking a swig of ale himself. "
Now tell me, what sort of prey is a White Walker after on an evening of masks and mystery such as this?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 pm

"
It's your war, Ser, you do as you please,"
Jon shrugs. "
But in my experience, everyone can be bought in one way or another - even the Faith Militant will hearken to those who speak the right words or make the right promises. So perhaps what you need is both - an iron fist and a velvet glove? Just something to consider..."
Kevan nods, "
Yes, I will keep that in mind... an iron fist and a velvet glove..."

"
You're right! My apologies for darkening the mood,"
Jon bows ostenatiously before taking a swig of ale himself. "
Now tell me, what sort of prey is a White Walker after on an evening of masks and mystery such as this?
No apology necessary, it was an interesting discussion, I just figured we must look quite out of place here: To costumed fellers talking war strategies, while everybody around us is having a good time drinking and dancing! Well, today I am a quite boring walker, my prey mostly consists of good food, beer and maybe some unsuspicious partygoers to talk to, not much in the way of other prey..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 am

Kevan Lyras wrote:No apology necessary, it was an interesting discussion, I just figured we must look quite out of place here: To costumed fellers talking war strategies, while everybody around us is having a good time drinking and dancing! Well, today I am a quite boring walker, my prey mostly consists of good food, beer and maybe some unsuspicious partygoers to talk to, not much in the way of other prey..."
"
Well that's rather the point of the costumes, isn't it. You can say or do anything you like, because no one is supposed to know who you are, so who cares if a bear and a phantom have nothing better to do than discuss war and the waging thereof!"
Jon laughs.

"
Wining, dining and hobnobbing are noble pursuits, Ser Kevan, nothing to be ashamed of. But look around you - here's a tent full of eligible young women, yearning for some mysterious masked man to sweep them off their feet, and try to learn what lies beneath their costumes. Doesn't that tempt you at all?"
Jon says, flashing Kevan a wicked grin.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:23 am

But look around you - here's a tent full of eligible young women, yearning for some mysterious masked man to sweep them off their feet, and try to learn what lies beneath their costumes. Doesn't that tempt you at all?"
Jon says, flashing Kevan a wicked grin.

"
Hehe, so your reputation as a ladies' man has some truth to it!"
Kevan laughs. "
It is indeed tempting Ser Jon, but I am looking for more than just to find out what lies beneath the clothes for a night.."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am

Kevan Lyras wrote:
"
Hehe, so your reputation as a ladies' man has some truth to it!"
Kevan laughs. "
It is indeed tempting Ser Jon, but I am looking for more than just to find out what lies beneath the clothes for a night.."
"
Hmm, that sounds very much like you're are a man in search of a bride, and not just a...tumble in the hay. Well then, all the more reason to go and talk and dance with some of them, wouldn't you say? Or is it that you are already chasing a certain hind of your own?"
Jon jests.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:11 am

"
You are correct, a marriage with a lady of noble birth would certainly help my standing, obviously she should have some other qualities as well. Yes, I got my eyes on a potential target, though nothing is set in stone yet. I am sure you know quite a few people at this Tourney that I do not. Do you have any suggestions?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:55 pm

You are correct, a marriage with a lady of noble birth would certainly help my standing, obviously she should have some other qualities as well. Yes, I got my eyes on a potential target, though nothing is set in stone yet. I am sure you know quite a few people at this Tourney that I do not. Do you have any suggestions?"
"
Oh my, yes, many a lord has dragged their unwed girls to the tourney hoping to find a suitable match. I've seen Maryssa Lucas, second daughter of House Lucas, and of course there's Floreta Frey, if you're the sort of man who knows better than to listen to slanderous rumor. From the Reach, I've heard Lord Peake has brought his daughter Clayre, and Lord Fossoway's Katriona is also here. And from the Stormlands, Lord Baratheon has brought both his daughters to the tourney! Though, to be fair, marriage to a daughter of one of the great houses may be reaching for it,"
Jon replies with a wry smile.

"
But, if you've already got someone in mind, I'll wager you want to see how that works out first, yes? So are you going to tell me who she is, or do I have to play a guessing game with you all night?"
Jon's smile turns into a grin.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 pm

"
Hehe, I thought you had a bit more information on the girls you mention"
, his comment clearly made in jest. "
Oh yes, Maryssa Lucas would be quite a catch for a knight hoping to climb the political latter. Unfortunately, her family's political views would probably crash with the ones from House Marsten, which could lead to complications. Katriona seems to be a bit of a tomboysh girl, I heard she spends most of her time on a horse - I guess that is better for her reputation than riding other steeds"
the last comment was accompanied by a slight wink.

"
Hehe, I will not tell you who it is as long as I have not introduced myself properly to her, you have to be patient on this one! So what about you, have you had any success with the noble women here?"

[OOC: Comments on the unwed girls are based information I received in another discussion from reader, not just made up for this thread]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Hehe, I thought you had a bit more information on the girls you mention"
, his comment clearly made in jest. "
Oh yes, Maryssa Lucas would be quite a catch for a knight hoping to climb the political latter. Unfortunately, her family's political views would probably crash with the ones from House Marsten, which could lead to complications. Katriona seems to be a bit of a tomboysh girl, I heard she spends most of her time on a horse - I guess that is better for her reputation than riding other steeds"
the last comment was accompanied by a slight wink.
"
I'm deeply sorry, Ser Kevan, but I have little experience as a matchmaker. I had no idea that I was to have the ladies' resumés prepared for this evening, or I would certainly have seen to it!"
Jon retorts with an ironic grin. "
But if you ask me, that Katriona sounds like a catch. The wilder ones are always the most fun, in my experience,"
he continues with a wink.

Hehe, I will not tell you who it is as long as I have not introduced myself properly to her, you have to be patient on this one! So what about you, have you had any success with the noble women here?"
"
Very well, I shall pry no further. If she's here tonight though, I can think of no better time speak to her alone. Two masked strangers exchanging words while they dance or watch a mummer's show is all part of the game at an event like this. If you need help tracking her down, speak to Harlan, our herald. He knows the guest list and is an old hand at matching names and costumes."

"
Alas, I've not yet had time to set out on the hunt! You see, I'd scarcely gotten here before this dreadful Coldbrook nag and a knight in bedsheets began pestering me to join them for a fight!"
Jon guffaws. "
Fortunately, the night is young, and I have reason to hope that it will turn out to be most...interesting."

Kevan Lyras wrote:[OOC: Comments on the unwed girls are based information I received in another discussion from reader, not just made up for this thread]
OOC: Cool! Always nice to know that the NCs have some character to them.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 pm

"
I'm deeply sorry, Ser Kevan, but I have little experience as a matchmaker. I had no idea that I was to have the ladies' resumés prepared for this evening, or I would certainly have seen to it!"
Jon retorts with an ironic grin. "
But if you ask me, that Katriona sounds like a catch. The wilder ones are always the most fun, in my experience,"
he continues with a wink.

"
For a tumble in the hay definitely, for marriage... I'd probably prefer the Lucas girl."

If you need help tracking her down, speak to Harlan, our herald. He knows the guest list and is an old hand at matching names and costumes."
"
Thank you, he seems to be born for his role as herald!"

You see, I'd scarcely gotten here before this dreadful Coldbrook nag and a knight in bedsheets began pestering me to join them for a fight!"
Jon guffaws. "
Fortunately, the night is young, and I have reason to hope that it will turn out to be most...interesting."
"
Oh, I definitely used up enough of your time, but I enjoyed our talking. I will leave you to entertain the other guests as well and maybe you even find a little bit of time for some hunting! I hope we such each other again before the Tourney is over, and not just on the battlefield of the melee!"

OOC:
Are you ok with ending the scene? Seems like a natural end point and after discussing everything from war to marriage plans, we have nicely established some connection

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm

OOC: Absolutely, I was thinking the same thing.

/scene

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down