Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vigil

Go down

Vigil Empty Vigil

Post by Derrock Swann Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:54 pm

If a bear could be described as a tower, then this man would be that bear. Even wearing no plate, in a simple, ragged jerkin and trousers, he was hardly past the prime of youth;
his hulking, hairy arms tightening threateningly as the grip on his enormous maul itched at his palms. "
It was you, your fault."
The bear growled. "
You and your worthless father! You are his spawn, spit and bred!"
His voice trembled with hate, almost irrational in its intensity.

"
Measure your words when speaking of my family, Ser."
The other man was no slouch for an adversary, either. Even if not quite as hairy, and with the gray beginning to streak his brown mane marking him a good decade older, his arms were as thick as many men's legs, and his chest heaved with every breath. He was not in his armor, either, and the longsword sheathed at his hip wouldn't help much if the bear decided to savage him with that mace. He was the Wrecker, after all.

"
The Stranger take your family of cowards."
Ser Jon Cobb spat. "
Lord Berric had not the, the..."
His eyes searched the Aurochs', a part of him beginning to realize a folly. But he wouldn't relent. "
The humanity! He was no man, to cower as he did, and so have you. Filth, you both! Do you not see that, craven? Will you deny?!"

Ser Derrock's lips tightened, as did his hand on the hilt. His knuckles turned white with the effort of restraint, but he had to give. "
No, Ser. I have not fulfilled my duty, and for that I will forever repent. But it gives you no right to address me, or mine, as such."

The Wrecker's ferocity seemed to waver, just for a span, but he quickly built it back up. His maul floated menacingly in his grasp, light as a stick. "
I address you only as you are, nothing more! Were that you deserved my respect, but I know of your failings. She told me all of it! How could you, Swann? How can you live with that?! Or do you not even comprehend the consequences of your inaction?"

The Aurochs tried to remain defiant and resolute, to show his pride and standing as the Knight he was, to mean that he would both not tolerate and not let himself be shaken by offense from any. He tried, but he failed, and his eyes lowered just then, his shoulders meant to slouch. He vacillated, for he knew Ser Jon's words to be the truth, no matter how many times he tried to relegate the guilt, or convince himself otherwise. Deep down, he knew, and it showed as he spoke. "
I sleep lightly, Ser, with the burden. Many times have I tried to think of the responsibility as my father's only, for he had sway over the means, the money, but... I could have raised the gold, if I only had tried. But I didn't, not enough. Is that what you want to hear? For it is the truth. My sister will not return to me, to us, after all that has been done, and I am to blame, yes. What would you do, Ser? Strike me down where I stand?"
He looked up at the Wrecker again, and held his stare as if he would not resist if he did just that.

"
No."
The bear's voice let anger give way to sorrow in remembrance. He sighed, heavy as a mountain gale, and let the head of his maul clang against the floor. "
I would only ask you, Swann, if you have love for her. If this troubles you as much as it should."

Ser Derrock nodded slowly, the same anguish filling his eyes. "
Johanna meant - means - as much for me as she does for you, Ser, if in a different manner. Would that I were wiser, then, to see the err of my negligence. I do not have the courage to face Lys, now, and I must sleep every night with that."

Ser Jon's nod was even slower, and both men seemed interested in staring longingly at each other's boots, then. A cold breeze flowed through the morning, moaning of guilt and regret, and they remained silent.

~*~

Memory flooded Derrock's thoughts, now, just as his knee began to ache. It had been a long time since he'd spent a night kneeling in a sept, but Wrecker Jon was dead, now, by the hands of a mystery knight, after a lifetime of looking to the past. Perhaps his death, with a sword in hand and on his feet, had given him the release he needed, even if it lacked closure.

That was all he could pray for as the Seven looked down on his aged form, seeing through his hidden thoughts of family.

Derrock Swann

Back to top Go down