Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups

2 posters

Go down

The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups Empty The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups

Post by Benedict Marsten Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:27 am

Settling In
A light haired young serving girl led Ben to the master bedroom. A far cry from the broom closet of a bedroom he had when he squired for Ser Markus. He politely dismisses the shy but courteous girl.

Dammit! I should have asked her name.

Ben dropped his packed armor and arms to the floor with a clatter. Moving to the bed he eases his saddle bags onto the soft mattress. Looking around, he can only shake his head. It is all still very much to take in.

It is a spacious but modest room, with a large canopied bed, a writing desk, table &
chairs, and a tall oak armoire, probably containing Corrine's many clothes. The room is well lit by two windows on either side of the bed, and warmed by a glowing hearth. A discreet door leads to an adjacent room. The room is decorated in shades of blue, and a dressing table is adorned with jewelry, make-up, and a few ornaments. One stone wall is dominated by a large tapestry depicting the Mountains of the Moon.

Digging through his bags he removes a wrapped item, with a fond smile. Crossing the room to the hearth, he unwraps the hart mask from the Bartheld ball. He sets it atop the mantle.

Returning to his dropped pack he retrieves his blade housed in its new and meaningful scabbard. He rests it gently against the foot board of the bed. Reaching into his tunic he draws out a braid of blue ribbon and dark hair. With reluctance he places it on the stand at the right of the bed. His fingers linger for some time, before he smiles and turns to leave. He scoops up his pack and heads to a more familiar places.

Working Out
The yard was much the same, many new faces and some old. Ben fell back into his old routine, up before the sun to spar with old Ser Markus. Then off to drill with the garrison men.

Hunting Down
The two were inexperienced at hunting, but learned quickly. The first trip out they had learned the hard way the value of silence. Their laughter and merriment scared away all the game for miles. Many lessons followed in their frequent outings.

So it was on their current trip, the two slipped quietly through the woods following a strong mountain stream. They communicated in complete silence with simple hand gestures and facial expressions developed over the past hunts. It had drawn them closer being able to relay directions with the simple movement of a hand, and understand unspoken words through just a look. There was something primal and raw about it all.

Their new skills paid off well as they rounded a bend in the stream and caught three fine deer unaware. Corrine quickly signaled their presence. Ben replied suggesting they circle around. Nodding in agreement they closed the distance.

Ben gestured to the large hart amongst the group. They both drew back inhaling quietly. The only noise that followed, their smooth exhalations and snap of the bow strings.

The hart stumbled across the stream and collapsed on the other bank. He left a swirling trail of blood cascading through the stream. Ben’s target bounded into the woods with the remaining deer. Once they closed in on the area the deer had been grazing, it was easy to tell one was wounded.

The two gave a quick look and set off after the wounded animal. It was quickly and easily found. It lay in an open clearing its life blood drained.

Building Up
Ben stood, his tunic clinging to him, damp from perspiration. The axe raised high then came arcing down to bite deep into the base of a cedar. A resounding thud is followed by a loud crack. Leaping back he watches the tree fall. Behind him Rose and Strax whinny and pull at their reins.

Shaking his head at the two horses, he moves back to the downed tree. He bends over and puts the axe to the first of many branches to be removed. “You two better get used to that. We are gonna need a lot more.” …

Ben grunts and strains as he carries a large stone from the stream. He loads it onto a makeshift sled hitched to Rose. He splashes back into the stream feet bare and trousers rolled up. Squating low he wraps his arms tightly around an even bigger stone. He pulls it snug against his chest and hoist it up.

Three steps to shore and doubt fills him. His grip begins to go. Squeezing tighter he hurries to the sled. He drops it with a thud, causing Rose to turn and give him and unamused look. “What girl? At least you get to drag it.” …

Ben carries a large yoke with two heavy sloshing pails. He turns sideways and slowly navigates through the close trees and into the clearing. Breathing heavily Ben eases the pails to the ground.

The horses look up from grazing with what appear to be smiles. “You two think this is funny? If you two could manage this without spilling half the water this would be your job.” …

Ben clenches his teeth as his arm muscles grow tight. His hands pull one over the other, hauling up the last load of thatch. He hauls the oversized bundle onto the roof with him. Then he lays back his arms behind his head. He closes his eyes as the sun drifts down behind the tree line.
He is snapped from his reverie by the braying of the horses in the clearing. Looking up at the sky he nods. “Yup. It’s time to go.” …

The small timber cabin was no work of art or any were close to craftsman quality. It was livable and most important a place away from the bustle of court and leadership. A place of solitude. A deer hide was draped across the entry. A river stone chimney sat against the northern wall. Above the hearth hung an antler rack. And it had plenty of room for improvement.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups Empty Re: The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Showing Off

Bundled warmly against the cold air, Ben and Corrine make their way through the now familiar forest. Ben leads Corrine's horse by the reins as her eyes are covered by a soft bolt of cloth. The frozen grass crunches lightly beneath the horse's hooves. Whistling birds can be heard echoing through the branches. The moist cold air burns the lungs if breathing deeply. A fine mountain morning.

Drawing back his hood Ben turns to his lady wife, an enormous grin on his face. "
No peeking. We are almost there."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups Empty Re: The Ins and Outs. The Downs and Ups

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:50 pm

"
I am incredibly intrigued,"
Corrine laughs, though it can be seen that the lack of sight makes her cling more tightly to Jory's reins.

Her breath mists in the air. The pale grey dress she wears, and her wolf fur cloak blend into the cold mountain backdrop, like a camouflage.

"
I hope you're ready to help me down. I'll fall if I try it myself. It's scary, how much blindness affects one's balance and co-ordination."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Corrine's horse comes to halt beneath her. Shortly after she can feel Ben's hands upon her waist. "
We are here."

He lifts her from the horse and places her softly on the ground. His hands remaining in place until her balance finds her.

"
Are you ready to see what all the fuss is about?"
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Her hands find his forearms, and she steadies herself on him as he helps her dismount.

"
Oh definitely. Eager, even!"
she nods keenly. "
Hurry up. I can barely wait, my man of mystery!"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Moving up intimately behind her, his hands slide up her neck to the knot of her blindfold. He leans in, his warm breath on her skin. "
It's not much but it's ours. Just ours."

The silky cloth slides down across her nose and cheeks. The high sun dilates her eyes, causing her a moment to adjust.

There before her is the rough built cabin Ben had spent the last few months working on, in secret. It's river stone chimney puffing grey smoke. It's many gaps filled with a muddy mortar. The deerskin door replaced by a rickety plank door.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 pm

It takes her a few moments to adjust to the bright light, and a few more to realise what it is, then she spins on her heels and throws her arms around him.

"
Oh Ben! It's lovely! Our own little hideaway!"

She kisses him briefly but hard on the lips, then turns to look at the modest edifice again;

"
Can we go inside? I want to see inside!"
she asks, excitedly, already tugginghim by the hand towards the door.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 am

"
Of course, my love."
He throws open the plank door with a clatter.

The fireplace and suns rays the only illumination. The shadowy interior is small and sparsely decorated. A vaguely recognizable old table sits in the middle of the room. A cracked vase of fresh mountain flowers sits in the table's center. Red hot embers smolder in the fireplace. Above it sits the rack of Corrine's first Hart.

In the distant corner stands what looks to be a battered bed from the barracks. Some of house Marsten's better linen draped across it. Tucked in close to the tiny bed is a finely crafted bassinet.

Ben stands back to let Corrine absorb the place. A look of mild anxiety on his face.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am

Corrine's hands go to her mouth as she gapes around, her eyes wide with awe.

"
You... You did all of this by yourself? I'm speechless! Oh Gods, even a bed for the little one too!"

Her eyes well up, so moved is she by his gesture.

"
It's beautiful, Ben. I just can't believe you made this for us."

She keeps shaking her head and beaming tearfully, and when she comes to look back at him, her face is full of adoration. She hugs him tightly, the swell of her pregnant belly pressing against him, as though their baby is also in her embrace.

"
Thank you,"
she says, softly, her chin wobbling from emotion.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:23 pm

He braces her wobbling chin with his hand before planting a soft kiss on her lips. His smile pulling from ear to ear at her reception to his gift.

"
Remember this place is to be our secret. If ever we need to discuss things in private or be alone we have this place... and if ever ... danger comes to Hartshorn this is where I want you to come."
Still holding her he looks protectively over her as his hand passes over her bump.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 pm

"
Straight here,"
she replies, nodding. "
I will learn the route, so I can get here quickly. What should we call it, so that we can arrange to meet without giving it away?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:27 am

His lips tighten as he ponders for a moment. His eyes looking up at the ceiling unconsciously. Then as he notices the antlers he grins. "
The trophy room?"
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 am

Corrine follows his gaze, and his suggestion elicits a shy giggle.

"
Perfect!"

She stands on the balls of her feet to plant a flurry of little kisses over his face, bouncing a little with joy;

"
I'm so lucky to have you. I doubt there are many men who would build something like this for their wives."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:12 am

"
Every man of common birth must need do so or not find a wife if he has no place to house her."
He smiles as he laughs.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:40 am

"
Of course. I didn't think of that,"
Corrine replies, flushing with embarrassment. "
I meant highborn men, who don't have to do it, in general. A castle takes much longer, of course,"
she adds, with a little laugh.

She rests the side of her head on his chest, her hair lightly brushing beneath his chin;

"
Sorry, I'm babbling. I'm just very moved by this gesture."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:36 pm

"
I was only teasing I know what you meant."
He lightly pats her rear.

"
Besides a high born man would have a smallfolk man build his wife something. There are few nobles with real life skills. My house is young and remember those skills still."
He strokes her hair as he rests his chin on her head.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:07 pm

"
I think it is a good thing. You are unpretentious. You have real practical skills, beyond that of most nobles, and you haven't lost touch with your humility, like some older, stuffier houses. It makes you, and the other Blackthornes I've met, easy to like. I recall being drawn to your... rugged charm."

She giggles shyly, holding his hands.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum