Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cure

4 posters

Go down

The Cure Empty The Cure

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:44 pm

([url=Offseason rolls 1 - Cunning (TN9)][/url]: 4d6 10 1 DoS - +1 to later roll
[url=Offseason rolls 2 - Knowledge (Education) (TN9)][/url]: 5d6k4 16 2 DoS - +2 to later roll
[url=Offseason rolls 3 - Will (TN9)][/url]: 3d6 11 1 DoS
[url=Offseason rolls 4 - Healing (TI) (TN9)][/url]: 4d6k3 13 1 DoS

Spend a DP to turn the bonus die in the Healing roll into a test die, taking the total to 14 - 2 DoS. Then, spend the +3 bonus I have from the first two rolls to increase the Will result to 14, also 2 DoS.

Spend all 4 on healing Lady Moraine Tullison.)

Not for the first time, Daveth wondered what he was doing here. You're a passable healer at best. A true maester has presumably spent years trying to help, and you seriously believe you can accomplish in 2 months what he couldn't?

I could understand it, just, if you were only here as a gesture. Lord Dunstan doesn't really expect you to accomplish anything. He's just clutching at straws. He'd still appreciate your efforts, regardless of results. You should be using this time to dig up Ser Theomore's past, so you can use it against him next time your paths cross. But instead, you're trying your best to avoid him entirely, and instead focusing entirely on your healing, working all hours. Do you actually think you can *win* this battle? Why does Lady Moraine even matter to you? You'd never even met her before a couple of months ago.

She matters because it's a terrible thing to lose your father, then have your mother waste away in front of your eyes while you watch helplessly.

You understand that even if you *do* somehow cure Lady Moraine, it will do nothing for your mother? She'll still be dying from grief. It's not like the gods are kind enough to return the favour on their own.

One impossible task at a time. I managed to gain my father's approval. Now, I cure Lady Moraine. Next, I get Ser Jorah into the Kingsguard. After that...
His thought breaks off, and he reflexively places his hand over his heart in pain. It had been getting worse since the tournament. It used to just be from Joren's death being unanswered. Now, it was ... more complicated. Each day brought him one day closer to the day when he'd have to sacrifice one of his dreams to accomplish the other. And even now, he didn't know how to choose.

You accomplish what you do through a pure application of will. Whole-hearted dedication to a goal. How well do you think you'll do going after your targets half-hearted?

He didn't have an answer. And every day, the pain felt more and more like it would literally tear his heart apart inside his chest.

After a few seconds, the pain abated, and Daveth looked around to make sure no-one noticed his weakness, then wiped away the small collection of sweat that had formed on his brow, and turned his attention back to the medical book he had open before him, simply the latest one with a collection of symptoms that don't match up properly. Lupus. As if! and he angrily slides the book down the table away from him, and his mind seeks an escape from that frustration by resuming stewing over Ser Theomore.

There are two sides to his threat. There's the man himself, and then there's his pet. Dangerous alone, deadly together. The pet goes out to do harm, then retreats behind the protection of the man if detected. In this way, the true extent of the threat cannot be detected. He paused. Something in his brain was jumping up and down, waving, desperately trying to get his attention. Triggered by something he'd just thought. After a few seconds, his eyes went wide and he took a deep breath. My gods! That's it! I know what's wrong with Lady Moraine! He knew he'd need to check the relevant books to be absolutely sure, but already, he felt the certainty in his heart. She had two ailments - the lesser one incurable, but relatively mild. But the symptoms it would give would, if he was right, conceal half the symptoms of the greater ailment. Add those hidden symptoms in, and the diagnosis was simple. A shiver went through his body as he quickly came to two realisations: firstly, Lady Moraine was likely closer to death than anyone realised. And secondly, he could cure her. Barring a slightly shortness of breath and a susceptibility to the cold, which she could easily live with.

He could cure her.

He quickly started gathering the books he needed to confirm his theory, while making a mental list of all the ingredients he'd need. It was already late, though not quite as late as he'd usually work, but he knew he had a long night ahead of him. With luck, he could present the result at breakfast.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

The Cure Empty Re: The Cure

Post by Dunstan Tullison Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:48 am

Healers flocked to Mountain's Reach, among them Daveth.

Dunstan tried his best to welcome everyone as best as he could, and procured best rooms for the highborn, of course. Daveth devoted a lot of time diagnozing Lady Moraine, and that pleased Dunstan greatly. He even asked questions, but seldom understood words that came out of learned people's mouth.

So the focus of the young Lord was on hospitality, he brought forward food and drink, made sure there was enough candles in the chambers so they could have sufficient light for reading and even payed for trips to the hamlet's more clandestine activities for those who enjoyed that.

Now, breakfast was in order, and Dunstan instructed for large quantities of rabbit stew, wild game meat and numerous side dishes. He hoped to hear good news from someone, anyone..

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:16 am

Daveth fought down his instincts. Tempting as it was to burst into the breakfast room, hold the vial in his hand high and yell out 'I've got it!', it lacked ... a certain decorum. Plus, he was pretty wrecked. He checked his reflection in a well-buffed shield hanging on the corridor wall. Yup, as bad as he thought. He'd used a comb at least, so his hair wasn't as wild as it was, but there was nothing he could do about his bloodshot eyes with their dark bags emphasised by his pallid complexion. Nor the fact that he was wearing the same clothes as yesterday.

Well, that's the price I pay for working through the night. I knew this would happen, no use complaining about it. Once I'm done here, I can sleep.

Gathering his mind for a last burst of focus, Daveth enters the dining room without causing a scene. He sees Lord Dunstan sitting down, being a good host, as usual, but looking around regularly with what he can't hide is a hopeful look.

Well, time to give him the good news.

And confirm if the news really is good.

Daveth walks over to Lord Dunstan, with what he hopes is a calm and confident air. When close, he bows, "
Lord Dunstan."
and he places the large stoppered vial on the table in front of the young lord. "
I believe I have it. If your mother swallows a mouthful of this every few hours, I believe she will start to feel some relief from her symptoms within two to three days. If she does, once she's gained a bit of strength, a concentrated potion should cure her."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:55 pm

"
Well, that is indeed good news, master Daveth."
Theomore offers respite from his lord nephew's silence, oh Dunstan did not exactly hide his happiness, but he was also lost for words. "
I can certainly speak for all of us here at Mountain's Reach in expressing our gratitude, but by the looks of it, well deserved rest would seem the reward part of you would desire the most, no?"
He signals the servants to place a chair between himself and Dunstan for Daveth to sit on. "
Actually, I think it might be time to test Lord Fossoway's favorite, winning horse races seems to win friends, too. He did claim that Dunstan would be the first Lord, besides him of course, that could serve the most exquisite apple cider the realms have ever tasted, not even the king has tried it yet!"

"
I figured it best to hide it away for a special occasion, it might otherwise be served at some common supper by mishap"
He shrugs apologetically when the serving girl said looks at him slightly puzzled at the order. "
Rafford knows where it is."
A man rather familiar to Daveth, rises from below the salt and heads off in the direction of the cellars, though not without exchanging glances with Theomore, girl closely behind. She emerges with a jug, and Raff shortly after, Daveth can't quite tell, but did he just spot a malevolent grin on the man's face? "
Our guest of honor first!"
Theomore declares, looking expectantly at Daveth, as the girl fills the cup, he certainly seems happy, though with a sinister undertone that everyone else in the room appears utterly oblivious to.

[OOC: Theo is just amusing himself by fucking with your paranoia, there is no poison, but he'd like to see if he can make Daveth worried enough of that possibility that it shows.

Also, with Dunstan being absent for ages, I took liberties.]
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:28 pm

(Apologies for the delay, wanted to wait and see if Lord Baelon's talk was going to require more retcons here. Will edit OP once the past has fully settled.)

"
I'd sooner drink to results than claims, however confident."
Daveth says, to buy time to think, making a mental note of what Rafford looks like without a disguise on, unaware of their only prior meeting.

Would he really poison me?

In a heartbeat. But that's not the question.

Would he poison me right here in public, while I was under his nephew's protection?

...If Lady Gwyneth is to be believed, only if he believed your 'cure' was actually poison, and he wanted to prevent Lady Moraine from taking it. Which, given that you're taking full responsibility for it, wouldn't make any sense. If he's as family-focused as Lady Gwyneth said, there's no way he'd risk interfering with a genuine cure. Far more likely this is a distraction - something big and obvious and flashy, so you don't notice the subtle knife in the back.

"
Still, who could refuse such a tempting offer?"
he asks, rhetorically, before lifting up the cup, and, locking eyes with Ser Theomore, slowly drinks it. He then puts the cup down. "
Very nice, thank you."
Daveth says, politely, mentally avoiding thinking of all the possible symptoms of poison, knowing that if he thinks too hard of them, he may start to believe that he feels them.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:42 pm

"
I can hardly believe it!~Daveth, thank you!"
Dunstan regains his composure to say a few words and hugs Daveth.

"
Call the maeser, and have him talk to Daveth and receive instructions on administrating this medicine."

"
Let us feast now!"
he says and orders servants to bring food and drink, and to bring that one young man who could play the lute from Lordsport too.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 pm

"
Ah, but I have been looking for an excuse to open that bottle for a while now."
Theomore lifts his cup in salute before slowly savoring the liquid, if there was a poison, it would have an antidote and be slow-acting.

Perhaps Gwyn had reached through to him? Either way, Theomore did not get the impression that Daveth was one that could hide his paranoia, also absent was the feeling he had sensed back at Riverrun, curious.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm

"
If I might impose, Lord Dunstan, I myself am, as your uncle noted, rather tired. So, while I can fully understand the desire, rather than feast now, when I can't really appreciate it, and your mother is yet to see any improvement, I suggest that we wait at least a couple of days. By then, I will have rested enough to recover, and, with luck, your mother will be feeling enough of an improvement to at least make an appearance. And *that* would be something definitely worth celebrating.

"
Right now, with your permission, I would prefer to pass on the instructions to your maester, so that he may begin treatment immediately, and then retire. My apologies."

He can't help but feel a chill when he sees Ser Theomore drinking. Is he setting up an alibi to 'prove' that it's not poisoned?

No. That would only place the blame on the cure. And Lady Gwyneth didn't mention any bad blood between him and Lady Moraine, so he wouldn't jeopardise that. Right here and now is the one time I believe that he wouldn't kill me.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:26 pm

"
Certainly!"
Dunstan says

"
Do as you will. I trust she will get better, if you are certain of it. If you ever need anything just tell Rykk here, he will fetch it for ya."
Dunstan says.

Rykk was one of the more respected guards in the Tullison household.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:06 pm

"
Thank you, Lord Dunstan."
he stands, and gives a small bow to the lord, and a smaller, silent inclination of the head towards Ser Theomore, to avoid giving offence, before heading off to find Maester Colton.

(/Leaves for now, however, I spoke with Lady Yve's player via PM and they were interested in having a conversation, so we could carry on this thread with the feast in 2-3 days' time, if there are no objections?)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:29 pm

"
You are quite welcome. Have a good night"
Dunstan says.

OOC: Sure, I don't mind.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Yve Tullison Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Yve watched him as he left the room to find the maester. She didn't really care if she was seen as she made no effort to hide, but neither did she try to greet the man.

'Another fraud' She thought with a small sigh, not knowing what had happened that day. 'Maybe one day Dunstan would give up and let their mother die in peace and dignity.'

Yve Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:49 am

Dunstan was used to take advice from Yve at all times.

Sure he was a muscular boy who swung his war-hammer all day, every day - but it was Yve, Theo and the maester that usually had the final word when it came to political decisions.

"
What do you think? Daveth, I think, is trustworthy - but I can't forget his thoughts concerning uncle."
Dusntan says.

"
You should know Yve, he asked me if it is alright for his brother to court you during the tourney. I said it is, as long as you agree. He might try to court you himself now, since he is the Coldbrook heir. It is up to you alone to decide - but if he steps out of his boundaries do let me know - I will throw him off the cliff"

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:40 am

"
I wouldn't worry too much, though I fear his grief has made him believe myself to be some sort of villain, Haelis and I stumbled upon some whispers indicating that this oath of his was not entirely in good fate, but if true, it is something that he will grow out of, or get consumed by."
Theomore had debated whether or not to break this particular story, but Dunstan did ask, and he would have to say it now, or keep it to himself. "
Though those were merely rumors, and I would exercise caution in believing them, but still, there it is."

"
It does bear mention that when he broached the subject of Garret courting you, it seemed that the Coldbrooks were intent on naming the bastard their heir, now Lord Tomas has apparently been convinced that the son of his wife from another marriage ought to be the heir to Grenward instead, still, I believe we should aim higher than a bastard, or a Coldbrook for that matter."

"
I figured we might as well say he was welcome to try, it's not like we'd notice one additional suitor...."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Yve Tullison Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29 am

"
The nest ever grows."
Yve said, more to herself then anyone else in particular.

"
All rumours sart with a drop of truth, or so I have been told. Though who's truth it is varies. Maybe they shouldn't be dismissed so easily. And you know as well as us both uncle that grief can play the biggest part when being a judge in a character. It is a shame that he met you in such circumstances. If he is to stay then he will have to ignore any feelings he has about you or else I will ask him to leave, no matter what he has done for mother."

Yve Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 am

"
Well, I do believe him sincere in his efforts to cure Moraine, and I believe he believes that he has found the cure, nor would it surprise me if all he hopes for in return is our gratitude and friendship."
And if Theomore's hunch was correct, Gwyn would prevent the need for a reply in the game of shadows that Daveth started. "
And I think we should give him our gratitude and not let suspicion ruin the chance for friendship."

"
That does not mean that we should not be careful, though, there are good reasons to be friends with the Coldbrooks, but there are also good reasons to exercise caution, even if we assume that Daveth has come to terms with his brother's death being an accident."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Yve Tullison Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:24 am

"
I can certainly try and put him at ease while he is here, if that is what is wished."
Yve said. "
Unless you or Dunstan feel that you would be better at extending the hand of friendship to him?"

Yve Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:13 pm

"
I quite like him, and he is our guest of course."
Dunstan says.

"
So I think we should all be welcoming, especially if he is right about the cure. Let him choose his own company."

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Yve Tullison Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 am

"
Then, my dear brother, you will be out of luck."
Yve teased. "
Who would pick your company over mine?"

Yve Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am