Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D2-D?] Reclaiming what was lost

4 posters

Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D2-D?] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:21 pm

[OOC: This thread is devoted to Nathan and his efforts in Blackbuckle. The thread will span many days and time slots. For the sake of continuity, I would appreciate it if it is reserved for actions taken. Each entry should have an appropriate time slot in the subject. Conversations with Nathan or each other are welcome, but should happen in a separate thread, with a single entry for the time slot and a link in this thread.

For those that travel to Blackbuckle, your thoughts, impressions or reactions are welcome.]

Last edited by 119 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D2:MN] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Jon woke in the middle of the night. They had retired early, but Nathan’s place in the bed beside him was now empty and cold. He sat up with a start, but was relieved to see his lover at the nearby table by a single candle scratching quill and ink on paper. By the look of it, he had already gone through several pages. Getting up, he padded over to the table.

“It’s late. You should come to bed.”

Nathan did not look up from his writing. “I need to record what we learned today.”

“It can wait till morning.” replied Jon, placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“No!” Nathan jerked his shoulder away violently. “I need to get it all down before I forget.”

Patiently, Jon knelt beside him. “You’re not going to forget.” he said softly.

Nathan stared for a long moment at the page. He tried to maintain the iron composure he had maintained all day, but by this point it had worn as thin as porcelain. He squinted, put his hand to his mouth, and tried to force back a sob. It was no good. There were too many cracks and his facade shattered. He began to sob. Deep, bone shaking sobs. Tears began to fountain down his face.

Jon gathered Nathan in his arms and held him. With all his wealth, power and cunning, it was easy to forget that he was just a man grown. Jon had been deeply affected by the devastation as well. He doubted even the most seasoned warrior would be unaffected. This was not battle or criminal execution. This was innocent people casually being snuffed out in the middle of their daily lives on a staggering scale.

Lifting Nathan into his arms, he carried the boy back to bed. It would be almost an hour before he cried himself to sleep.

Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D3:MM] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:24 pm

The morning found Nathan in the common room, writing letters and notes. His breakfast lay untouched. Jon sat accross from him, watching. The smile was back, but it held no joy. The blue eyes were dry, but they held no sparkle, just an intent of purpose.

Septon Arlyn,

The situation in Blackbuckle is long overdue to be addressed. Those that have lost their life need to be put to rest. If you can gather whatever members of the Faith and Silent Sisters you can, I will provide whatever manual labour, food, water, supplies and security you may need.

Nathaniel Mason.

Lady Corrine Marsten

I will be in Blackbuckle for the next couple of days should you have need of me. The situation there needs to be addressed. I understand Lord Bracken is very busy, which must account for it slipping his mind for so long. Please let him know he needs no longer worry. As a loyal Green supporter and servant of the crown, I will do my duty in this matter.

Nathaniel Mason, representative House Bartheld.

Luecian Longbow

I would like to hire you for a small matter in Blackbuckle. I will be attempting to finally start the process of reclaiming what was lost and lay these unfortunate souls to rest. I need someone reliable with a cool head to oversee security in the area. As House Dulver is an official peacekeeper, I think you would be ideal. Please let me know if you are available.

Nathaniel Mason

Ser Myles Blackwood

Regent, I am writing in regard to the prisoners who were held at Blackbuckle until the tragedy a month or more ago. I know it is little consolation, but it is my desire to return these men to you so their families can mourn and they can be interred in the manner of their faith. It is my hope that this can be accomplished without further incident. I would be happy to meet with your representative to finalize arrangements.

You have my sincere condolences.
Nathaniel Mason, representative House Bartheld

Last edited by 119 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D2-D?] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Reader Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:28 pm

(OOC: placeholder as I'm aiming to make a brief post as Jon)
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D3:LM] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:18 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:
Septon Arlyn,

The situation in Blackbuckle is long overdue to be addressed. Those that have lost their life need to be put to rest. If you can gather whatever members of the Faith and Silent Sisters you can, I will provide whatever manual labour, food, water, supplies and security you may need.

Nathaniel Mason.

The courier arrived to Septon Arlyn, sweat beading off his brow with the haste of finding the fat Septon in the Dulver's camp. Handing sitting Septon Arlyn the sealed noted Septon Arlyn quickly broke the seal and scanned who it was from. "
Hynrk! Get this boy some wine and a damp towel!"
Commanded Septon Arlyn assuredly. "
I need him fresh for a return letter. Septon Arlyn sat down to write.

Nathiel Manson,

During my investigations of the village of Blackbuckle I discovered some disturbing things. One thing that I have determined is that this was not a case of natural disease. I will write to the Silent Sisters as well as some Septon's in the nearby areas as well so that we can give these people the proper burial. This will interfere with some of the other house's ability to investigate this atrocity but I feel it is past time that these poor souls were put to rest. I will write the other houses to explain my reasoning for laying these souls to rest but I feel that a secondary investigating House writing the same conclusion would help dispel the notion that our house is trying to dispose of any evidence. Also there is some things I uncovered in my investigation that I would like to speak with you about. I feel a man of your talents could be very helpful in uncovering the truth of this matter.

Also I feel that if we could have some Blackwoods and Brackens present in the proceedings of identifying the bodies then the people could be laid to rest in the matter that most closely conforms to their faith.

Thank you for your generous support in this endeavor of placing these people at rest,
Septon Arlyn

Dear Septon Petyr,

If you could come join us at the village of Blackbuckle to help lay some of souls to rest then that would be greatly appreciated. You will be compensated for you time.

Thank you,
Septon Arlyn

Sister Elysea,

I have need for you and your sisters to help handle the dead in the village of Blackbuckle. As soon as you arrive then the sooner we can help lay the souls to rest in the village, so please arrive as soon as possible. You will be compensated for your time and effort and I will attempt to procure some donations for your Septry.

Thank you for you quick response in this matter,
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D3:EA] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 pm

[OOC: This note is written with greater haste than the previous one.]

Septon Arlyn,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am at Blackbuckle now. It will take today, all of tonight, and perhaps all of tomorrow to burn the dead livestock, animals and carrion of the town, perhaps even longer. The human remains will not be touched for some time. They have waited patiently this long. I think they will forgive a few more days. If anyone has need to examine the town, they have ample opportunity yet.

I have already sent a note to Ser Myles concerning the returning of the Blackwood dead. I think he should be accommodated as best we can, but neither you nor I have the authority to allow Blackwood men on Bracken lands. I advise you step carefully Septon. I assure you that identifying which of the dead are Blackwood is not a problem.

Nathan
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D2:MN] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Reader Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:Jon woke in the middle of the night. They had retired early, but Nathan’s place in the bed beside him was now empty and cold. He sat up with a start, but was relieved to see his lover at the nearby table by a single candle scratching quill and ink on paper. By the look of it, he had already gone through several pages. Getting up, he padded over to the table.

“It’s late. You should come to bed.”

Nathan did not look up from his writing. “I need to record what we learned today.”

“It can wait till morning.” replied Jon, placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“No!” Nathan jerked his shoulder away violently. “I need to get it all down before I forget.”

Patiently, Jon knelt beside him. “You’re not going to forget.” he said softly.

Nathan stared for a long moment at the page. He tried to maintain the iron composure he had maintained all day, but by this point it had worn as thin as porcelain. He squinted, put his hand to his mouth, and tried to force back a sob. It was no good. There were too many cracks and his facade shattered. He began to sob. Deep, bone shaking sobs. Tears began to fountain down his face.

Jon gathered Nathan in his arms and held him. With all his wealth, power and cunning, it was easy to forget that he was just a man grown. Jon had been deeply affected by the devastation as well. He doubted even the most seasoned warrior would be unaffected. This was not battle or criminal execution. This was innocent people casually being snuffed out in the middle of their daily lives on a staggering scale.

Lifting Nathan into his arms, he carried the boy back to bed. It would be almost an hour before he cried himself to sleep.

Ser Jon Roxton, known as "
the Bold"
was a man of action, but for now all he could do was hold the shattered young Bartheld aide. Tears could not be fought with strength of arms but only with compassion.

"
I have seen more than my share of war already Nathaniel, and I'd be a liar in the eyes of the Seven if I claimed I'd shied from battle."

"
But this was not battle. This was a coward's work."

Reached educated, Ser Jon generally attempted to avoid contractions, even in trying times.

"
This was a foul deed and foully handled. Bodies left to rot in the street by House Bracken. There will be some who view this kindly and others unkindly, I cannot divine the truth of it."

He shakes his head, bewildered.

"
Is Lord Bracken too pressed by war, his people to fearful?"

He frowns.

"
Or was this disgrace left for the King's justices to view, to better shame House Blackwood?"

Ser Jon stayed awake despite his weariness from the day's exertions as his young companion drifted off to sleep.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D3:MA] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:47 am

Nathaniel Mason wrote:[OOC: This note is written with greater haste than the previous one.]

Septon Arlyn,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am at Blackbuckle now. It will take today, all of tonight, and perhaps all of tomorrow to burn the dead livestock, animals and carrion of the town, perhaps even longer. The human remains will not be touched for some time. They have waited patiently this long. I think they will forgive a few more days. If anyone has need to examine the town, they have ample opportunity yet.

I have already sent a note to Ser Myles concerning the returning of the Blackwood dead. I think he should be accommodated as best we can, but neither you nor I have the authority to allow Blackwood men on Bracken lands. I advise you step carefully Septon. I assure you that identifying which of the dead are Blackwood is not a problem.

Nathan

Receiving the note from Nathan. Septon Island took a moment to read the words and study them. Reflecting on the nightmare that he saw yesterday he remembers vividly the atrocities inflicted on the Blackwood prisoners.

Nathan,

You are of course correct. You have wisdom beyond your years as far as political machination go. You are correct that Sir Myles should be the one to approach the Bracken's about seeking the right for Blackwood's men to go upon Bracken's land. The injustice suffered by both parties there made me forget for a moment that they could possibly use this tragedy to continue their fued. I will attempt to broach Lord Bracken and soften his heart to the idea of letting the Blackwood's recover their men, then lay them to rest. Hopefully the mother will aid me in that endeavor.

My thanks,
Septon Arlyn

This note was scrawled and nearly illegible, as if written on a rough surface with great haste.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D3:LM] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Luecian LongBow Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:32 am

(OCC-Will link a new thread with Luecian arriving at Blackbuckle around D3:MA at a later point)
Luecian received the note from the boy whom he told to stay as he reviewed it. Not possessing the gift of letters the only things he recognized upon first review was an inverted boar. Well guessing that would explain who its from. He takes a close look at the rest of the letter trying to see if he can notice any further clues and not wanting to let the lad know he did not know his letters. On second glance he seems to get the gist of the note.Not sure why he be sending a letter telling me I'm part of House Dulver but guess I'll need to be finding him to ask... Questioning the boy for the location of the man who had given him the letter, he plans to set off towards Blackbuckle after his planned investigation.

Lytuchn Lnlngam

I xdfgh ufgh nb xsae poi fgh t qwevv polteg xx Nexoperlkfd. I ufgh nb yuirtghait xx luiiuppy cdfgh erf sdferty nb uiythsloiu xfght ghj lkiu xbs uyt asdfg aluvbntyuei jhgq xb poiu. I mnui dfgryui eruxghty pogh x hgjk lkui xn sdftyre opnghut mn iju lkqw. Fg Uigth Dulver xb gh kjhgytu ghjuwemnllcv, I sdfty nmu hgjuo xb tylkm. Dertyg mnu jk tugy dg klj qwc poqwcxvbh.

Polqwertv Nqxbn
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D3:EA] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:53 am

There was much to do in Blackbuckle, but there was one priority that demanded Nathan's immediate attention. The fact that it had not been done long ago was criminal in Nathan's eyes.

Nathan and Syd watched as four strong men lowered an iron plate over the well. It was heavy, with four handles on it's surface and holes around it's perimeter that matched up with iron rods that had been driven into the stone.

"
Other investigators may wish to examine the well."
said the young thief.

"
If they wish to, they can."
replied Nathan. "
The plate can be removed if needed. This precaution is unavoidable and should have been done a month ago."
he continued with a slight tone of disgust. "
Poison is often difficult to come by, is very costly, and often needs skill to use safely. However, here in Blackbuckle, the potential to kill hundreds is readily available and all one requires is a bucket."

Once in place, Nathan turned and headed back up the street. "
How long before the fire pits are ready?"

"
Hour or so."
replied Syd. "
Need to be big for the horses and lifestock. We will go through wood pretty quickly, though."

"
Salvage what you can from the town."
said Nathan. "
Every animal trough and water barrel should be burnt. Even if the water has evaporated, we cannot be sure the poison has not tainted the wood. I have wood coming, but we will need to make do till then. Gather what overgrowth can be used from the surrounding area, and send some of the woman and boys into the forest with a light guard to collect deadwood."

"
Will not Lord Bracken require his commons fees for that?"
said Syd. Normally, if a peasant wanted to gather dead wood from the Lord's forest, they were required to pay a fee to their Lord.

"
If Lord Ser Haig Bracken, Knight of the Realm, Lord Protector of the Brackenwood wishes his commons fees, he is welcome to come to Blackbuckle and ask me for them."
replied Nathan flatly.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D2:EE] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:15 pm

The sun was setting as they pulled up to the small farmhouse in the cart. Davydd let go of the reigns and assisted Maester Forthwind out as his assistant, Perrin, began fumbling with boxes and books.

A woman exited the House, her shawl wrapped tightly around her shoulders although it was not cold. She was young and moderately attractive, but her face seemed carved from stone.

"
Good Evening, Cendra. It was kind of you to assist us this way."
said Forthwind as he handed her a small pouch of coin.

"
Nothing kind about it, Maester."
she replied flatly. "
My husband and boy are dead and your man Nathan seems to be the first to give a shit. I want vengeance for them. I wouldn't even be taking this coin, except without it I'd surely lose the farm. I've set a couple beds up for you and your friends, but two of you will have to share."

The look on Davydd's face said he'd happily share with the young widow. "
If a pallet can be set up in the barn, I will be fine."
replied the Maester. "
I ask that you stay out of there, for your own safety."

"
I expected as much."
she replied, turning to head back to the house. "
The pot is on the fire whenever you are ready."

"
Thank you, millady."
he said rapping Davydd sharply on the shin with his cane. The man, who had been appreciating the view of the retreating woman stifled a sharp cry of pain.

"
What?"

"
You know what."

"
You do know who I work for, right?"

"
Yes. Me at the moment."
quipped the Maester.

Biting back a retort, Davydd moved the cart and quickly began to unpack.

Forthwind considered what he needed to do. Nathan's instructions had been clear, and his plan was sound. Once they were set up, he set to work writing out the details.

Experement 1, Body weight test.

Putting on some worn heavy leather gloves that went up his arms well past the elbow, he opened the large keg they had brought.

"
Is this stuff safe?"
asked Davydd.

"
Absolutely not."
replied the Maester.

Estimating that a lethal dosage would be a flagon of water for an average sized man, Forthwind proceeded give an amount of the water to a rat, cat, large dog, sheep and horse based on their weight.

Exeperiment 2, Dosage test.

Five pigs had been chosen, roughly equal in size and weight. To the first he gave two flagons of water, one flagon to the second, half a flagon to the third, a quarter flagon to the forth. To the last he gave no water, but bathed the pig's skin in the liquid.

"
So what do we do now?"
asked Davydd as Forthwind resealed the keg.

"
We wait."
replied the Maester.

"
Well, if there is nothing further,"
said the guard, "
I'll do my waiting at the house."

"
You do realize that she's just lost her husband and son."
said Forthwind.

"
Then I will have to be very consoling."
replied Davydd with a sly grin.

[url=Forthwind - Experement 1 - Healing (Diagnosis)][/url]: 5d6k3 11
[url=Forthwind - Experement 1 - Knowledge (Nature)][/url]: 7d6+4 27

[url=Forthwind - Experement 2 - Healing (Diagnosis)][/url]: 5d6k3 14
[url=Forthwind - Experement 2 - Knowledge (Nature)][/url]: 7d6+4 30
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D3:EA] Reclaiming what was lost (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:10 pm

Nathan sat in the large tent before a table;
examining maps of Blackbuckle. Several pavilions had been erected upwind of the village. Most were simple canopies to allow people to eat or rest without fear of the weather, but this, the largest, was an enclosure of white canvas that flew both the King's banner and the crest of House Bartheld.

Edmund stood at the doorway, glass of wine in hand. "
Seems you have attracted quite the bedraggled group. Not sure how much work you will get out of them. They are probably just here for the free food."

"
Some will not wish to work."
replied Nathan, still looking at his maps. "
Some may not be able to work. Some will work hard to try to heal this tragedy. I do not begrudge any who are hungry, given the situation, and I do not judge any, because I have higher priorities at the moment."

"
You don't care that they are stealing from you?"

"
Edmund, I can feed twice the number of people here for a week for the cost of the bottle of wine you are drinking."
replied Nathan blandly. "
No, I don't care."

The young man looked sheepishly down into his wine. "
You must think I am a right prat. Why shouldn't you? Everybody else does."

Nathan sighed. "
I think you are a noble, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. I don't judge you any more than I judge them. I don't expect a thoroughbred horse to understand what a pig thinks. You are a good man with a good heart and loyal to a fault. Qualities that are increasingly rare. You just lack experience... and perhaps confidence."

Edmund sank into a chair, obviously unconvinced. "
I know why I am here."
he pouted. "
You're the real investigator here. I don't understand even a fraction of what is going on. If you were a noble I wouldn't even be here. Even without being a noble you get more respect than I ever will. I have only one job and I can't even do that. I fucked up the bread a salt ceremony so badly I got challenged to a duel I know I can't win."

Nathan looked at the young man with sympathy, rose and sat beside him. "
That's not what's bothering you, is it? Everyone laughed at you. I'm sorry about that. Really, I am. I-"

"
Didn't have a choice. I know."
Edmund took a gulp of his wine. "
I just feel useless. Ser Jon is a paragon warrior. He could probably carve up Ser Colyn like a festival ham. Maester Forthwind seems to know absolutely everything about anything. You, well, you are astonishingly clever and people listen to you."

Nathan rose, moved his chair opposite Edmund and sat again, looking the man directly in the eye. "
First, don't worry about Ser Colyn. I expect there will be people lining up to teach him some humility."

He didn't want to be unkind, but Nathan had no patience for self-indulgent wallowing in self-pity. "
Ser Jon practices every day to be as good as he is, and has since he was a boy. Maester Forthwind has spent a lifetime researching dusty tomes and listening to old men lecture him. I have had to claw, scrape, bleed, fight, and fuck for every bit of success I have ever gotten. Now... what have you done Edmund?"

"
Nothing."
said the man softly.

"
And whose fault is that?"

"
Mine."

Nathan lifted Edmund's glass and put it on the table, then placed the young man's hand in both of his. "
Your problem is not that you aren't as skilled as Ser Jon, as knowledgeable as the Maester or as clever as me. Your problem is that you have never had to make a choice. You have spent your life protected by your money and your family name. You have never needed to make a hard decision because you've never been in those situations or someone else has made them for you."

Nathan was about to continue but, as if the Mother herself were listening, they were interrupted as a pair of guards dragged a bedraggled man into the tent.

"
We caught this one searching corpses, Milord."

The guards placed a handkerchief on the table filled with coins and other bits, including a gold tooth. The prisoner was in his late twenties. Skinny and gaunt. He was showing signs of scurvy and dehydration and coughed sickly every so often.

Nathan's eyes narrowed, glancing at both Edmund and the man. Rising, he motioned for the man to sit at the table. The guards roughly pushed him into the chair.

Pouring the man a glass of wine, he placed it in front of him along with a plate of bread and fruit. After a moment's hesitation the man pounced ravenously on the food. "
Were you not able to eat when you got here?"

The man shook his head. "
Sent me packin'. Said I was too sick to work."

Nathan's head slowly turned, his gaze falling on the two guards. "
I don't recall that being my instructions."

"
No Milord. We will see to it, Milord."

"
Thank you. You may leave this with us."

The guards glanced at each other in confusion. "
Milord-"
Nathan raised an eyebrow. "
As you wish, Milord."

Nathan considered the man again, greedily stuffing food in his mouth. "
So... what's your name?"

"
Tumbler"

Nathan barked a laugh and gave him a broad grin. "
No! Really?"

Tumbler smiled, food falling out of his mouth. "
Yeah. Figures the Bartheld whore would get that."

"
I don't undertand. Get what?"
said Edmund.

Both men grinned at Edmund. "
Tumblers is a slang term for a man's balls."
Nathan explained. "
He called Tumbler because-"

"
He only has one ball?"
said Edmund, slowly working it out.

"
Yeah... lost it climbing over a fence. Sucks a bit, but I got used to it."

"
The name or the injury."
laughed Nathan.

"
Both."
laughed Tumbler.

"
Well, Tumbler has a nice ring to it. Better than 'The Bartheld Whore' anyway."

"
No big that."
replied the man. "
Couple more of these and ya can bend me over this table if ya want."

Nathan refilled his glass and pushed over a plate of cheese. "
As attractive as that offer is, I think I will decline for now. Perhaps later."

Tumbler ran dirty fingers through thick matted hair. "
Yeah. I'm probably don't look like much. I used to be quite a draw to the ladies a few year ago, but you'd never know it now."

"
I would."
smiled Nathan.

Tumbler stared at the boy across from him. "
Yeah. I spose you would at that."
He drained his glass again. "
So. You going to kill me?"

Nathan refilled his glass again. "
I don't know. Are you Edmund?"

"
Wh-what?!"
The colour completely drained from the young man's face.

"
You are the Bartheld authority. The decision is yours to make."

"
But-but..."
Edmund was quickly scrabbling. "
Lord Bracken is the authority in these lands. The decision is his."
He smiled, thinking he had found an out.

"
Normally that would be true,"
replied Nathan smoothly, "
but we are here under the authority of the Crown and the man has been brought to you accused of a crime. It is well within your authority and indeed your duty to determine his fate."

"
What would you do?"

Nathan smiled. Your not getting away that easily. "
I would be happy to assist you in your investigation, but it would be inappropriate for me to suggest a course of action."

Edmund drained his cup and then went into a coughing fit as it went down the wrong pipe.

Nathan leafed through the items in the handkerchief. Most of it was coins or buttons, the tooth being the most unique. He held it up to Tumbler. "
I gather things are slim pickings after all this time."

"
Yeah."
replied Tumbler. "
I don't see what the big deal is. The dead don't need that stuff no more. If this were a battlefield, most times no-one would say squat."

"
You're right. They wouldn't."
He dropped the tooth in the cloth. "
I suppose there is no real difference between picking a dead man's pocket and a gold tooth from his head."

"
Weren't hard after all this time, and I'm not squeamish. Not anymore, anyway. It's not like there is much left to take."

"
So, Edmund. What's your ruling?"

Time seemed to drag on as both men waited in silence for his reply.

"
Let him go."
Edmund finally said.

"
Very well."
replied Nathan. He leafed through the handkerchief and pulled out a gold locket. "
I think we will try and return this to the guard's loved ones, don't you think?"
He folded up the remaining items in the cloth and shoved it over.

Tumbler was shocked by Edmund's answer but quickly recovered. "
Thank you. I promise you won't see me again."

"
I think that would be unfortunate."
said Nathan. "
I will need men who aren't squeamish over the next week, and I might have work for you after that. I can promise you won't starve working for me."

"
Your serious?"
Tumbler couldn't believe his good fortune.

"
Of course I am."
smiled Nathan. "
Besides, you made me an offer and I may wish to avail myself of it at some point."

Tumbler's eyes widened and then he started to grin ruefully. "
I did at that."

"
Head over to the healers tent and get that cough looked at."

The gangly man bobbed several bows as best he could. "
Yes sir. Right away. Thank you."

As he left, Nathan gave instructions to his guards and returned to his maps.

"
You did that on purpose."
said Edmund after a long silence.

"
Yes."

"
Did I make the right choice."
he said after an even longer silence.

Nathan looked over to the man. "
I don't know. We usually never know for sure if the choices we make are the right ones at the time. If it helps. I think you made the right choice."

"
Do you want to know why I let him go?"

"
No."
replied Nathan. "
You don't need to justify your decision to me, no matter which choice you made."

Edmund paused for a long moment. "
Would you have killed him if I said to?"

"
Without question."
replied Nathan as he returned to his maps. "
Choices, real choices, have consequences."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D3:EE] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:14 pm

The sun was setting as Nathan and Ser Jon squared off against each other in the secluded clearing. It has been an unseasonably hot day that was only now beginning to cool. Despite Nathan’s excellent performance on the previous day, his lack of training was obvious in comparison to the bold Knight. Just like he had said about Deception, no matter how good something looked at first glance, it paled next to the real thing.

Still, the young man was not without his talents, as his practice blade slid past Jon’s defences to hit its mark. The Knight stepped back and smiled. “I don’t know if I believe you when you say you’ve had no weapons training to speak of.”

Nathan shrugged and grinned. “No official training, anyway. I just pay attention. I used to watch the men sparring for hours in Highgarden, but that had more to do with bare chested athletic men than a desire to be a warrior.”

“Well, you do have a natural talent for finding peoples’ weak spots.” Jon grinned. He took up a fighting stance once more. “So what do you plan to do about this situation with mines?”

Slowly, Nathan began to again probe for weaknesses in Jon’s defense. “Nothing to do, really. I trust your judgement. If you say it was justified I won’t waste my time. I have plenty to keep my attention.”

“I am surprised you don’t think Lord Drakeson overstepped himself. A great many do.”

“I would if he had been alone, but Lady Marsten was there. Presumably he acted under her authority or he would be in a cell right now. It’s unfortunate about Athelstan, but the man was a walking disaster. His fate was a foregone conclusion. The only question was when and where. Many will say Baelon manipulated the situation to finish the job he started last year. I expect it’s true, but that doesn’t matter to me. The only real problem is the amount of conflicting information. I will be interested in hearing what everyone has to say when the Houses meet to discuss their preliminary findings tomorrow.

I would certainly like to know what instructions Baelon’s Father gave him before he came here and what part that played in it.” Nathan tried to dodge Jon’s incoming attack but failed. “Are you sure you are not trying to distract me?” he said with slight exasperation.

“Of course not.” grinned Jon. “So, you think Prince Daemon is behind Baelon?”

“Isn’t that obvious? Baelon made the mines one of his first priorities when he arrived. I doubt that is a coincidence. Prince Daemon needs that iron and every week of delay costs him time and money. I had no intention of going anywhere near those mines. The Bracken/Blackwood politics are bad enough without getting mired in the mess between Black and Green. My mandate was clear, and I have no intention be becoming another Athelstan.”

“Speaking of that, I want you to take guards with you from now on. No sneaking off on your own. Before you give me a big argue-“

“Fine.”

“-ment, things will be getting really danger-… what?”

Nathan lunged into to get a telling blow on Jon’s breastplate. “I said Fine. The situation is bad and the Houses’ presence here is rapidly making it worse. I may take risks but I’m not stupid. I want to do good here, but I want to get out of this situation alive. I like living. In fact, it’s easily my favourite thing.”

“Well… okay then.” Jon’s eyes narrowed. On the one hand, Nathan seemed genuine;
on the other hand, winning that easily was deeply suspicious. He had to console himself with the fact Nathan always lived up to his word.

“So what do you think of the idea Lord Tullison tampered with evidence?”

“Complete nonsense.” said Jon.

“I tend to agree.” Nathan tried a feint under Jon’s guard which did get through but would have done little damage even with a real sword. “However I wouldn’t put it past Ser Theomore, and Lord Dunstan is not always aware what the rest of his House is doing.”

“So how will you vote?”

Giving a wave to rest and sitting down on a tree stump, Nathan shrugged. “No idea. We will have to see what information has been uncovered and if I believe it. I will shed no tears if the mine remains closed and Prince Daemon’s ambitions are delayed. Compared to the attack on a church and the slaughter of Blackbuckle, a damaged iron mine is pretty trivial.”

“The mines are a huge source of income for the Blackwoods. The people will suffer if they remain closed.”

Nathan sighed. “There is no easy answer in any of this Jon. How many will suffer if the mines remained closed? Will more or less suffer if the mines are opened? We have many choices before us, but none of them are good ones.”
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D2-D?] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Reader Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 pm

[OOC: thanks to Nathan on collaborating on:

1) Ser Jon's reaction to the failed Athelstan arrest &
Dunstan Tullison/wildfire (remember he knighted Dunstan and has a positive disposition towards him)
2) Ser Jon's desire for House Bartheld to travel with armed guards. Maybe common for many of you from d4!

This post is also worth highlighting for quality and character development! Nice to see different emphases on the investigation]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D3 ME-LE] Tumblers Fall (peacemakers)

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Septon Arlyn arrived at the village of blackbuckle and was surprised at how busy it had become. Well you have to give credit where it is due, Nathan moves quickly. I'm just glad he does not feel the need to mobilize against the Dulvers. Having just stopped by the Septry to donate the coins provided him by Ser Theomore to the rebuilding efforts there, he decided to stop by the efforts of Nathaniel Manson to see how the village cleanup was going. It was shocking how busy it was. From the dead village that the Septon had seen before to this bustling activity now, a low smoky haze seemed to cover the ground and cling to the Septons skin.

As he approached the guarded area the guards easily let him past into the venerable sea of smallfolk. A laughing child squeeses through the throngs laughing. Women and men passed hurriedly and in good sprits, a feeling of excitement and relief plain on their faces. The food and work that Nathan was providing them made them quite happy, and many received more coin then they had ever seen in their lifetimes flowing through the camp.

Suddenly, as Septon Arlyn was passing a fire when a man with dirty brown hair tripped over a small child. falling into the fire the dirty man began to scream as he held himself up with the one hand that landed in the fire. Acting quickly Septon Arlyn pulled the man from the fire and tore off the sleeves of his robes. Using the cloth to smother the buring hand Septon Arlyn speaks quickly to the man, trying to engourage him to be calm. As the gaurds arrived Septon Arlyn asks, "
Which way to the healers tent. Speak quickly man."
The guard points in the direction of the healers tent. "
Can you help me move him there?"
asks the Septon, halfway between a demand and request. The Guard nodded in the affirmative and Septon Arlyn and he moved the man to the tent.

"
I'm Septon Arlyn from House Dulver, "
The Septon Informs the healer at the tent. "
I'm requesting the assistance and hospitality of House Baratheld to help treat this man's injuries."
Septon Arlyn has to speak loudly to be heard over the mans moaning.

"
Come quickly,"
The healer leads Septon Arlyn into the tent and sets the Septon up in a small area, with a Maseters kit and a few cots next to it. "
Master Nathan has been generous in providing supplies, but skilled healers are harder to come by. Most of the good healers are already committed to the Lords in the area, and need and supplies can far out weigh the skilled hands we have to provide for them."

Septon Arlyn nods. "
My hands and skills are yours, My Lord is far away and my investigations can go no farther today. Let me see if I can bring the comfort of the mother to those in need."

For the next few hours Septon Arlyn is kept busy by the constant stream of those who are sick. The work was difficult, but the simplicity of the task and the speed needed helped him clear his mind for a few hours. He was pleased that his skills could be put to good use and even more pleased that he could make a difference in these peoples lives. After he spent some time there he knew he would have to leave to make it to the funeral for Athelstan. So with a heavy heart and a promise to return on the marrow and left.

[url=healing check Tumbler, day 3][/url]: 5d6k4 19

Last edited by 167 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D4:EM] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Nathan arrived at the small farm;
Ser Jon Roxton and ten guards in tow. The bold Knight had expected an argument last night against the security. In truth, the young man was heartily grateful for the men and the Knight's reassuring presence. The situation was dangerous and becoming increasingly so at a remarkable rate. When he thought of the first day, sneaking around the forest on his own, something he had no business doing even in the calmest of areas, he marveled at his foolishness. It was only blind luck or the will of the Stranger that kept him from turning up dead in a ditch somewhere, if he'd turned up at all.

As Nathan dismounted, the young woman Cendra approached them. She bobbed a passable courtesy. "
They are in the barn, my Lord."

"
I am not a Lord, Cendra. You have no need of that with me."
He walked forward producing a gold locket from his pouch. "
If I am correct, I believe this belongs to you."

The young woman stared at the locket with large uncomprehending eyes. "
But... how..."
she takes the locket staring at it blankly. "
I never thought I would see this again."
She tries valiantly to hold back the tears. "
Rondol..."

"
It was recovered from the body of a guard at Blackbuckle's gate. He did his duty till the very end, but I can tell you his final thoughts were of you."

Cendra closes her eyes and clenches the locket tightly. "
Thank you. This was a great kindness I was not expecting."
Nathan simply nods and turns towards the barn. "
My Lord, have you found my son, by chance?"

Clearing his throat, Nathan tries to be gentle. "
There are many children in Blackbuckle. I wouldn't know which one is yours-"

"
His name is Aevan."
she blurts. "
He's ten. He was wearing his green cloak that day. He has a scar on his forehead from when he fell out of a tree. He worked at the kennels. He loved dogs. Couldn't wait to go into town-"

Nathan reached out and placed his hand on hers. "
I will see if I can find him."
said Nathan. It might be possible, but it was unlikely. Purification had made identifying anyone extremely difficult.

"
Thank you, My Lord."

"
I am not a Lord."
he reminds her again, turning to walk to the barn.

Cendra watches him go. No. The ones who should be never are.

Entering the barn, he nods to Davydd and Forthwind. "
Gentlemen. I have a meeting with Ser Myles in an hour, a meeting with Lady Marsten in two, and a gathering of the Houses to meet the royal entourage in ten. Is there anything you can tell me about this poison other than it's 'really really bad'?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty [D6:All Day] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:09 pm

They arrived at first light. Cowled monks in brown spun robes. Silent Sisters shrouded in grey.

They moved through Blackbuckle, the monks with their low chants and thuribles of burning incense. The silent sisters like the spirits and ghosts of those they had come to tend.

Each body was handled with the utmost care. Whether high or low, each was handled with the same reverence.

Workman built the pyres for the dead in the west field;
later to be called Arran's Field.

Refugees waited or moved amongst the mountings lines of bodies. Tears when they found a loved one. Tears when they could not. Only now, when they were all in one place, was the scope of what was done made clear.

Nathan moved along the lines of the dead, giving soft words of comfort to those who mourned. He scratched the names of those who had been identified into soft clay tiles. Many would be laid to rest without their names, but thanks to Nathan's hard work over the town records, most would.

In the afternoon, the Keeper of the Blackwood Weirwood arrived. Nathan greeted her with the same reverence he would a High Septon. The prisoners bodies were carefully wrapped and laid into carts. They were finally going home.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D2-D?]  Reclaiming what was lost Empty Re: [D2-D?] Reclaiming what was lost

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum