Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D3 LA] - The Bad and the Worse

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D3 LA] - The Bad and the Worse - Page 2 Empty Re: [D3 LA] - The Bad and the Worse

Post by Samurel Manderly Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:48 pm

a wire-y smile finds its place on Samurel's face

"
I did not think so, but as long as we are being transparent I figure it was a question that came to my mind. Now the question becomes, who has access to such a poison? or was it truly a who, not a what."

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

[D3 LA] - The Bad and the Worse - Page 2 Empty Re: [D3 LA] - The Bad and the Worse

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:13 pm

"
Exactly. We've been looking for someone steeped in the lore of Valyria...because one other tidbit that surfaced as we compared facts and research was that there was a tactic in Valyria, where when their soldiers had been captured with no possibility of rescue, they would sometimes poison all of them. The soldiers. The captors. Everyone around them."

She paused, with a natural flair for the dramatic, then added, "
Care to guess which poison they favored for this tactic?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:16 pm

"
Ben has been investigating Blackbuckle, while I looked into Lord Blackwood's murder,"
Corrine replies. "
At least something has been learned from it. It is a great tragedy that so many innocents died. So, an obscure and virulent poison then. Perhaps a maester? Or do your suspicions lie elsewhere?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:23 pm

"
A maester is a good place to start,"
Gwyn agreed, "
But it all goes from bad to worse, you see. Like everything, it seems."

"
You see, Blackbuckle had prisoners in it...captives from House Blackwood. Many were simple soldiers, but there were a few that were scouts...potentially men with valuable knowledge. Now consider the timetable. Captives taken from Blackwood, followed shortly by Lord Blackwood being assassinated. One other thing about this poison...it's very slow acting. Or rather, it builds up slowly, but then suddenly takes effect. In short, while the people of Blackbuckle died a month ago, it's likely the poisoning took place weeks beforehand."

Gwyneth stood up and took her glass to the table, but didn't refill it.

"
As it happens, around that time, there was a large stampede in the area of Blackbuckle. A perfect cover for nefarious activities, no? It's something I mean to follow up on...would have already if not for this wildfire thing."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

"
A stampede seems an odd choice of distraction for a poisoning,"
Corrine comments. "
So, do you think that the poisoner and Lord Blackwood's assassin may be linked?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:31 pm

"
For something as thoroughly convoluted as this has become, I suspect that is too simple, the assassin linked with the poisoning... the link is too convenient, I would argue that this link is intentionally perceived;
Should the poisoner and the assassin be one in the same then the true conspirators at the heart of these incidents would come out of this unscathed. May I ask you something Lady Gwyn, if My lady will permit.

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:42 pm

"
It would be an amazing coincidence if they weren't,"
Gwyn opines. "
And a stampede is not so strange a distraction if you think of it. All the able-bodied men would ride out to control the herd. The women and children would shelter in their houses for fear of being trampled. The well would have no one's eye....and for a fairly long time."

"
One missing piece of the puzzle is evidence that the Brackens learned anything from the prisoners...something that they could have used to help the assassins. Guard patrol schedules perhaps, or the location of secret entrances. We made some inquiries surrounding the assassination, but the poison and wildfire took up almost all our efforts these past two days."

She pauses then adds, "
I'd counsel caution in spreading the Valyrian tie-in of the poison as well. Whoever did that is surpassingly clever, I think...any indication that the investigation has sussed out this link could cause him to disappear before we can find him. The poison is so exotic and rare, it's very likely he thinks himself safe. I need to stress how difficult it was to make the connection and find out what this substance was. I don't think this was the same hand as that amateurish attempt at the Sept."

With a nod at Samurel, Gwyn adds, "
Of course, ask."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

"
My thoughts exactly Lady Gwyn, a coincidence of the highest calibre, and not one that would so easily be evident or left behind by someone as seemingly clever as our conspirator I suspect. And you continue to read my, this information, along with many others are of strict sensitivity. Though I believe that this person is very much not working alone."

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm

"
Oh, I agree with that. I see more than one hand at work. Some of these feints are fairly transparent...but there is another mind which is far more subtle as well. I think using the clumsier antics of Bracken and Blackwood as cover for himself. Or herself, I suppose."
She shrugs.

"
Which brings me to worst. Now I am leaving evidence behind, and moving into guesswork...but there is a kind of sense to it. Eoric Tully is in the royal delegation, you see. He's an odd duck, yes? A black supporter from a green household. Now, imagine what happens if he and his delegation die in a great fire?"

"
Well, the Tullys would be justifiably enraged. It would be cause for war against the perpetrator. And that war would almost certainly have royal remit, since it would be a gross violation of the King's peace. Politically however, any chance of House Tully to change Black would be removed, yes? So many wins for someone of a green persuasion. But of course, it would make the spat between Bracken and Blackwood look like a pair of children fighting over festday treats."

"
I don't know if that's the plot...there's not enough facts to say...but the pieces on the table could play into a scene such as that, and that simply underscores again the stakes. This isn't about a provincial struggle between a pair of minor Houses. If it ever was, it isn't now."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 pm

A scowl stretchs across Samurel's face, Frustration painted in the grimness of his eyes.

A very somber conclusion to this turn of events, one that will have dire consequences for every house involved. How did you come to this conclusion, what led you to this Eoric? We need to know more, but so little time is left before tomorrow's meeting... and the topic of secrets will be on the platter for all to see. Do you intend on considering this one a sensitive one?

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Gwyn shrugs. "
I have no evidence...but that much wildfire is an enormous investment. It would have to be used in a very...valuable way, to be worthwhile. Simply blowing up an inn isn't enough return, in my view. Regardless, as I mentioned, we're still almost entirely in the dark where it's concerned...and that's a very dangerous place to be. We need more facts, and we need them immediately."

"
The opposite of that of course is that every question we ask publically risks alerting the ones behind it that we're drawing closer. I don't see any other way to succeed though. Especially since today's escapade has removed any chance that the investigation of the wildfire is secret from them."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 pm

"
So, what do you wish me to do? I have no more evidence than anyone else, but I certainly do not want more bloodshed. Especially with the royal contingent arriving tomorrow."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:56 am

"
Prepare,"
Gwyn answered. "
Daveth and Baelon have worked out a training regimen to help educate our troops in how to deal with wildfire. Men who don't know any better will only make things worse most of the time, because those things we instinctively do with fire are precisely the wrong way to deal with wildfire. We can help you do the same, as well as any other House that's interested."

"
In the meantime, we continue to hunt the stockpile. We have some ideas for where it might be, and how we might find it. I'm thinking Samruel may of help here...I can only do so many things, listen to so many whispers, ask so many questions. And of the other Houses, yours is the one I trust the most."
Gwyn looked at Sam and nodded. "
I believe you can be subtle enough not to alert whoever's behind this. The evidence at the mine showed some wildfire, but the signs of the larger supply were subtler, and weren't exposed in the confrontation. It's possible the architects of that plot could cling to the hope that we haven't realized it yet."

"
Even if not, they'll have a very hard time moving it now. It becomes a race then, of whether we can find it before whatever they're waiting for happens, and they set it off."

She leaned forward and put her hand on Corrine's arm, sensing her cousin's mood.

"
Take heart, Corrine. We know far more than we were meant to. As a result, we have at least a chance of stopping this. However, it would be good if you worked with Benedict and quietly began training your forces to deal with the possible consequences of failure."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:01 am

"
Preparing our forces for a possible wildfire attack would be appreciated, if you can spare someone to do so,"
Corrine replies. "
I can send some men to help in the search too. I currently have Sam pursuing another lead, but I'm sure he won't be completely indisposed."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 am

"
Of course we can. Or simply send your men to come train with ours. Whatever suits your needs best. The knowledge of it is simple enough. The training is mostly drills...to drive that knowledge into men's muscles, so that when they panic they will do what they need to."

She glanced at Samruel and smiled then. "
Another lead? On the wildfire?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:48 am

"
No, not the wildfire. A different matter. While finding the wildfire and averting disaster is urgent, I cannot justify putting other investigations on hold entirely."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:51 am

"
Rest assured Lady Gwyn, the investigation is of significant importance, not unlike the wildfire. Though as my Lady says, I will avail myself to your investigations as she warrants."

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:57 am

Gwyneth chuckled. "
Oh, so coy, you two. Let me guess...Pennytree? The situation there is getting almost as explosive as wildfire, and there hasn't been the sudden inrush of new evidence there, to my knowledge. These new attacks are troubling, aren't they? The timing of them makes it seem almost as if they're intended to interfere with the investigations."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 am

"
I am beginning to worry about that myself. I am starting to think that there are other, clandestine orchestrators involved in at least some of these incidents."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 am

"
We can't afford to treat this situation as just being about the Brackens and Blackwoods,"
Gwyn warns. "
Especially not with all these investigating Houses crowding around, thick as flies."
She sighed and sat back a little. "
I suppose, given my House, I will seem like a bit of a hypocrite saying this, but there are some very politically motivated Houses, and individuals, on the field at the moment. And the drumbeats of this feud can hide an awful lot of soft stepping."

"
I've little actual information about Pennytree at the moment, but I'd be very surprised if either the Brackens or Blackwoods were behind the new attacks."

Gwyn paused then, and her eyes flicked from Corrine, to Sam, and back. "
You're really not going to tell me, are you?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:21 am

Corrine looks confused for a moment, then realises what Gwyn means.

"
I need you to keep this quiet, for now, but while investigating Lord Blackwood's murder, I found that the assassin was helped from within the household. Sam &
I have been following that thread, and it goes higher than I had initially thought. I cannot name names until I know exactly where the thread stops, but it was a planned, collaborative act. It was carefully planned, and the orchestrators are willing to kill others to protect themselves."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Gwyn nods thoughtfully. "
I think the assassination of Lord Blackwood is connected to the poisoning of Blackbuckle. We do have a tool to investigate that as well. A common reagent will turn even traces of the toxin orange, and it can't easily be washed off. Finding one may lead to the other...assassin and poisoner."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 am

"
A detection method is a strong step forward. I want to see the person, or persons, who poisoned Blackbuckle's heads on pikes. It is a horrific tragedy. Ben could barely bring himself to tell me what he saw. What makes you think it is connected to the murder though?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 pm

"
The timing of it all is suspicious,"
said Gwyn. "
Blackwood men captured by the Brackens, some of them men who would know troop deployments, guard shifts and so on. Then Lord Blackwood is assassinated. Then everyone who could possibly know the details of what transpired is slaughtered. Blackbuckle wasn't just random cruelty. It was to create a great and deafening silence, to protect a great and damning secret. That is what I believe."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 pm

"
And you believe that secret is the identity of the one who gave the order to murder Lord Blackwood?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum