Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D6 EM The Old Ways

2 posters

Go down

D6 EM  The Old Ways Empty D6 EM The Old Ways

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:49 am

After his embarrassing lack of knowledge about the Old Ways the previous evening, he asked around for anybody who might be able assist him with learning more. To his surprise, Ser Myles answered the request.

"
I am surprised and honoured that the regent of House Blackwood would see fit to honour this lowly knight with your presence."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

D6 EM  The Old Ways Empty Re: D6 EM The Old Ways

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Ser Myles is glad in a light arming jack emblazoned with his family's scorched tree, the kind a young squire might wear for practice.

"
My young lord seems quite taken with you, and I will confess to hoping for some reflected glory."

He offers a genuine smile.

"
Some set of gods, old or new, appears to have marked you out for something. I am not a seer that can divine the direction of destiny's arrow, but its flight is clear enough."

Ser Jorah and house Blackwood's regent come to a rest before a weathered grand old oak, Ser Myles resting one hand on the tree as another man might pat a faithful steed.

"
There is no shame in lacking knowledge, only in revelling in ignorance. Tell me Ser Jorah, have you named your horse? Do you speak to him or her? Some knights do, out of love for a loyal friend. Others do not, either from a callous nature or out of fear of the inevitable loss of a treasure companion."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Ser Jorah joined Ser Myles at the tree. Though he did not follow the Old Ways, the tree had a strange majesty.

"
My horse is called Argo. I must confess that I did not originally name him, but he has proven worthy as loyal and brave a horse I have ever seen. As for destiny, who knows where it might take you. Winds can blow you far from where you think you are going."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 pm

"
Well said, we can but adapt to what men and gods confront us with. That said, I find myself more adaptable with a blade than sailing as ship, so can but hope any winds that buffet me remain strictly metaphorical."

A slight smile, Ser Myles enjoyed wordplay.

"
Argo is a good name, and it would interest a worshipper of the Old Gods that you had waited until your mount had demonstrated his worth before naming him."

"
It is said that before the Andals came with iron and fire to drive the Children of the Forest North that they could speak with beast and bird. We could ask Argo how he felt of his name and hear his pride at having won it. Some shades of such talents show up here and there: I have heard men swear Ser Kevan Lyras must speak to his steed, such is his mastery of it, and that Northern guardswoman has an uncanny mastery of her hound. The old blood lingers on in places, and the Blood of the First Men may carry echoes of the Children's talents."

He sighs.

"
Maybe a tale for children, but maybe not? A man who has seen the terrible majesty of dragons would be wise to keep an open mind. The old ways are less about the specific, careful rituals of the Seven and more about a respect for the natural world, animals and history. Still, the Seven and the Old Gods find much to agree on: incest, kinslaying, slavery and murdered are considered unholy in the eyes of both."

The two knights now approach a sickly tree, placed centrally but lacking the imposing height of the earlier oak.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:27 pm

"
Certainly I have heard such stories. Loreia, if you give her chance, will happily bend your ear with tales of beyond the Wall and giants."

As they approached the sickly tree, Jorah thought it looked out of place.

"
Is there something wrong with this tree?"

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:40 pm

"
Would that I had the freedom to seek such an adventure. As a younger brother with a nephew such freedoms should be mine, but fate seems to have placed heavy responsibilities on my shoulders. I shall have to seek out your Loreia and content myself with tales of wonder. Books and testimony shall have to suffice where personal experience cannot."

Ser Myles gestures.

"
This is all we have preserved of our weirwood, poisoned by Bracken treachery many years ago when the Brackens turned their backs on the Old Gods for the New."

"
This trees were said to carry a region's history, guiding it with wisdom. I cannot say how a tree would achieve such miracles, but our Valley's grim past suggests a lack of guidance. If the tales are half-true, such villainy is on a par with burning the library at Oldtown. A sin against the past, present and future."

He shakes his head at the thought of men committing either blasphemy.

"
Where do you turn for guidance Ser Jorah? Men account you a man of honour and discipline. Are you guided by faith? Some mentor or knightly vows? Lord Blackwood shall need good guidance in days to come, and I may not always he present to offer it."

He grim, crippled weirwood appears to have turned his thoughts to a dark path.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Reader wrote:"
Would that I had the freedom to seek such an adventure. As a younger brother with a nephew such freedoms should be mine, but fate seems to have placed heavy responsibilities on my shoulders. I shall have to seek out your Loreia and content myself with tales of wonder. Books and testimony shall have to suffice where personal experience cannot."

"
She will happily oblige, as I believe would Master Yoren Longshore. He has tales from beyond the sea from Essos."

Ser Myles gestures.

"
This is all we have preserved of our weirwood, poisoned by Bracken treachery many years ago when the Brackens turned their backs on the Old Gods for the New."

"
This trees were said to carry a region's history, guiding it with wisdom. I cannot say how a tree would achieve such miracles, but our Valley's grim past suggests a lack of guidance. If the tales are half-true, such villainy is on a par with burning the library at Oldtown. A sin against the past, present and future."

"
And for them, no doubt a sign of their allegiance to the Seven."
He tentatively touched the tree, being as gentle as possible. "
This valley could do with the wisdom of the ages as we all try to navigate the quagmire of this feud."

He shakes his head at the thought of men committing either blasphemy.

"
Where do you turn for guidance Ser Jorah? Men account you a man of honour and discipline. Are you guided by faith? Some mentor or knightly vows? Lord Blackwood shall need good guidance in days to come, and I may not always he present to offer it."
the grim, crippled weirwood appears to have turned his thoughts to a dark path.

"
Sometimes I pray, sometimes I seek guidance from people wiser or more intelligent than I and other times I take strength and guidance from my knightly vows. Find people you trust is the most important and they do not need to be always ones that agree with you all the time. Finding a balanced view of the world is important. Mayhap, even talking to the monks at the Septry will offer a different point of view. Nobody is immune to what time will bring us, but we can do things to ensure that our love ones are not left without suitable guidance to help them. If we have taught them as best we can, then when the time comes, they will be able to make the right decisions."

Some of Jorah's words tasted like ash;
trusting people like family had hurt him after all, but nevertheless, it

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:25 pm

[url=Awareness (empathy)][/url]: 5d6k4 16 [OOC: he judges there is something more behind Ser Jorah's words]

Ser Myles was more than a simple swordsman. He was a more than passing good judge of character, and while he admired the sentiment of Jorah's speech, he detected doubts, perhaps even a lack of conviction in places.

"
Well said, I will endeavour to surround my nephew with the right examples and distance the wrong."

Mayhap I can see he grows to be more Ser Colyn Manderly than Ser Tyron Blackwood. Or Ser Myles...
, House Blackwood's regent thought bitterly.

"
What of occasions where trust is misplaced Ser Jorah? Forgive my boldness, but I sense a tale there, and I am not too deaf to hear the words whispered that Lord Blackwood would do well away from me, the wicked uncle ascended to regency."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Jorah sighed and rubbed his eyes. It weighed at him enough to let it out.

"
There is a tale there, though the end of it has not yet been told. What I said I believe is the correct thing to do, but it does not automatically mean it will succeed. I encouraged a young man to prove himself to his father. This he did, but the manner he did so was bound up in vengeance and I found this out in a way that hurt my heart. You seem to have a keener eye and better understanding of people than I. Make sure you understand the people you use as advisors, try to understand what drives them. Look at Maester Arran. I am sure his actions were not expected."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:04 pm

"
I thank you for your words, and will not press an open wounds further."

"
Maester Arran was an unpleasant surprise. We have talked much of loyalty, but on occasion love and loyalty can drive even the best of us to madness and dishonour."

"
He and others near my nephew will be vetted carefully for both character and quality. A man can serve the blackened trees beyond Raventree Hall if he is competent but an unsuitable exemplar for a young boy."

"
Tell me, as an anointed knight but who serves my fellow faithful at House Coldbrook, how do you feel of both faiths? The comforting ritual of the Seven set against the wild, ancient ways of the Old Gods. Had I the time, I would seek out maesters and texts to educate myself - was it just iron and sword that drove the Faith's ascension? Or does the message of the Seven that are One speak to men in a way the Children of the Forest did not, could not?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Finally, it dawned on Ser Jorah that just like Lord Benjicot, Ser Myles was now having to find his way, having not meant to have been Lord and was seeking advice himself.

placeholder

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:00 am

Reader wrote:"
Maester Arran was an unpleasant surprise. We have talked much of loyalty, but on occasion love and loyalty can drive even the best of us to madness and dishonour."

"
He and others near my nephew will be vetted carefully for both character and quality. A man can serve the blackened trees beyond Raventree Hall if he is competent but an unsuitable exemplar for a young boy."

"
It will not always possible to predict how people will react, but knowing them and what has shaped them will give you the best opportunity."

"
Tell me, as an anointed knight but who serves my fellow faithful at House Coldbrook, how do you feel of both faiths? The comforting ritual of the Seven set against the wild, ancient ways of the Old Gods. Had I the time, I would seek out maesters and texts to educate myself - was it just iron and sword that drove the Faith's ascension? Or does the message of the Seven that are One speak to men in a way the Children of the Forest did not, could not?"

"
Much of it I think would derive from tradition;
those who hold to the Old Ways did not come as part of the Andals. The message of the Seven does provide more definite answers and has more people to speak for it such as the Septry. There is always an answer. Only those who follow the Old Ways can hear the Old Gods and as I understand it, they do not always answer. Is there strength in both faiths? Yes. The Seven provide comfort and guidance, but I've seen the Old Gods provide their faithful strength, but never the misguided lunacy that the Faith Militant were."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:15 pm

"
An interesting perspective: certainly recent history suggests the Old Ways are not responsible for the wondrous Sept building or the depths of the violence and rebellion the New Gods inspire."

Even in a theological debate, Ser Myles was not above sneaking in a reminder of Bracken crimes.

"
It seems apt - an older, steadier way without the peaks or troughs a newer faith inspires."

To Houses as ancient as Blackwood, even the long forgotten arrival of the Andals and their Seven that are One passed as new, at least one a relative basis.

"
I wonder if it is simply that the fires of the Old Ways have died out - doubtless men were inspired to grim deeds in defending their religion from the Andal invaders. I fear I am not a sufficient scholar to recall exact incidents."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

"
But is it faith that is responsible or a failing or inspiration of the person? The Old Ways are strong in the North, but you do not see great works done by them, certainly not anymore. The Wall is no doubt an impressive sight, but it is ages old and predates the arrival of the Andals. Grim deeds are done by men. Mayhap their faith provides them the strength or rationale to carry out their deeds. Gods may guide, but the decisions are all on us. This is why we are judged before the Gods for our deeds in life when we die."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:38 pm

"
Indeed. I'll not let my gods shield me from personal responsibility, nor allow others to do the same."

Their walk near an end, Ser Myles offers his farewells and thanks his guest for teaching him something even as Ser Myles tutored him in the Old Gods.

[OOC: /scene unless there's any more to be asked?

On the morning of D7, Ser Myles' own squire, "
Fat"
Fennick Piper, a great pudding of a boy arrives at Jorah's quarters. He is the squire to Myles Blackwood and presents the knight with a carved weirwood pendant on a simple copper chain. The pendant bears seven candles for the Seven New Gods that are one, standing in contrast to the black wood of the poisoned but well tended weirwood it was carved from. Strength in both, strength from both is inscribed on the back.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:40 pm

/scene

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content