Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6, LA] Blackbird Pie

2 posters

Go down

[D6, LA] Blackbird Pie Empty [D6, LA] Blackbird Pie

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 pm

No sooner had she run down Ser Jorah, Gwyn went on a hunt for another man...and this talk she anticipated going less smoothly.

Finding Daveth was trickier. He didn't stand out as much, and despite his status as heir he was not as famous as Jorah. Fortunately, Gwyneth didn't have to rely on word of mouth. There were any number of places he COULD be, but if she counted the places he'd WANT to be...that list diminished considerably. He wasn't in the Coldbrook quarters, which left only one obvious place to check.

In the library at Raventree Hall, she spotted his unimposing figure ghosting between the rows like some forlorn spirit eternally looking for a book that was long since gone.

She took a moment to collect herself and organize her thoughts. Nothing she'd said had been wrong, or wrongly intentioned. To the best of her knowledge at the time her advice had been spot on. If a mistake had been made, it was in not paying closer attention to the rumors that hinted at trouble.

"
Well now,"
Gwyn said warmly as she stepped forward into view. "
I should have checked here first."
Her smile diminished into a more serious expression. "
I apologize for interrupting you, but I've something to talk to you about. Something important...and altogether requiring more privacy than we might find here."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D6, LA] Blackbird Pie Empty Re: [D6, LA] Blackbird Pie

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Daveth gives up his search for books on law, at least for now. He'd made some interesting notes, but nothing particularly useful for their current circumstances. "
Of course, Lady Gwyneth."
he looks around. "
Let's go for some fresh air."

Godsdammit! Given the timing and the need for secrecy, it seems pretty likely that this is about the Marsten situation. I'd hoped they'd settle that. This could be very, very bad.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Once they're outside, and in the open...where anyone close enough to eavesdrop would also be clearly visible...Gwyn says carefully, "
I owe you an...hm, perhaps not an apology exactly...but a retraction."

"
Not long before coming here, you and I had a talk about a particular knight of our mutual acquaintance. One who had wronged you."

She pauses to let him remember, then said, "
While I stand by what I said, based on what I knew at the time...it seems the situation has changed. For reasons I have yet to discern, he seems to have turned his colors. Most recently his moves have been what I would call...defensive. He's been collecting people suspected of sympathizing with Ser Hugh Rivers and...delivering them. To Prince Aemond."

Quickly, Gwyneth added, "
I've already sought out Ser Jorah and asked him to find out more...perhaps to intervene if he can. Of all of us, he's the only one who is on good enough terms with the Prince to safely try to mitigate what's been done."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Oh. The unexpected nature of the blow throws Daveth off for a few moments, then things finally start clicking together. "
But ... he's Black, he's surrounded by Blacks. Why would he be currying favour with the Greens?"
he asks rhetorically, Lady Gwyneth having already admitted she didn't know.

He paces up and down a few paces, then stops, and looks back at Lady Gwyneth. "
Given the Prince's reputation, That Man clearly wants those people dead. He's done something. Here. I bet you. And one of them is -or, more likely, was- a witness. The Prince is the most likely person locally to simply kill them all out of hand. In this way, he not only subtly silences someone who could be used against him, he does so in a way that gains him or his house the favour of a powerful man."

He pauses a moment in thought. "
I wonder what his Lord thinks of his actions? This was not done in secret, and it seems to rather go against things the Lord has said and done before."

Distracted by a feeling, he looks down at his hands, holding them in front of him. He can clearly see them shaking. He stills the movement by clasping them close against his body, arms crossed. He feels cold, like his breath should be misting. Like being caressed by the breath of a deep, dark abyss. "
Regardless, it seems like there's nothing more to be done. That That Man would kill a bunch of smallfolk for pretty much any reason does not surprise me. Anything else?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Gwyn nods at that. "
Eliminating witness or witnesses is possible,"
she allows, "
But equally so is that he was merely trying to earn the friendship of the Prince. This man has been quite busy, we've learned. Not just here, but prior to this summit as well. He's been often seen in the court of the Tullys, and even with Isobel. The plots here may have been long in the hatching."

"
As far as his activities here go, we know that the second attack at Pennytree was carried out by him;
the result of his convincing Lord Bracken to try to protect his men. Said Lord has been convinced to admit this fact at the final hearing. I suspect, but cannot prove, other things as well. At least some of the unflattering rumors swirling around you may be his work. It suits his usual style."

She sighs. "
What doesn't suit his style is the missing motive, as well as the...violence of it all. He clearly seems to perceive some great threat to himself or his House. What precisely that threat is, I can't say."

"
But he isn't wrong. Steps have been taken. In reaction to his actions, ironically. If ruination is what he feared, then his fear may have brought it down on him."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Daveth ponders and listens carefully. "
Pennytree. The attack that deliberately targeted witnesses."
he shakes his head. "
Oh, if only his lord could come to believe that was true. Good work getting testimony there."
he adds.

"
But I have to ask,"
feeling the laughter of a distant madness dancing down his spine. "
Are you *sure* that the violence and motiveless targeting of House Coldbrook is actually new? Or is it simply that your new location presents you with a perspective you didn't have before, and in fact, he was ever thus?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Gwyn shrugs. "
I'd be lying if I said I could be sure of it, or much at all. I have more resources now than before. However...I feel like I had some understanding of Theomore before the Tourney in Riverrun. I've long felt him capable of taking life if he felt it would be in the interest of his House, or even himself. But I've never known him to be so callous about it. There are many ways he could have ingratiated himself with the Prince. This was probably the fastest, the easiest, and the surest...but..."

She shakes her head. "
I feel that he would have hesitated before. Perhaps found another way. Whatever turned his interests green may have changed other things about him as well. I suspect the answer to that lies with the Tullys...or with Isobel."

"
Regardless, the die is cast. Our immediate concern is minimizing whatever damage he's attempting to cause us. In the longer term, I expect he'll be rather too busy with his own problems to bother with much else."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Daveth pauses. "
Is it possible ... that he's lost his monopoly of his Lord's ear? Due to previously-frail voice regaining its health? Perhaps a voice attached to a perceptive pair of eyes? That might explain a few things.

"
I'm not *too* worried about the slanders being spread about me, yet. The most dangerous lies are those with a strong element of truth, and those I've heard lacked even a modicum."
he shrugs. "
Well, okay, the one about me throwing up as the Green Door Inn burned was sadly true enough, but overall that rumour was relatively positive.

"
Still, minimising the damage. Do you have ideas on how to do such?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 pm

"
Efforts are already in play,"
Gwyn replied. "
The rumor of your heroism at the inn, for example. Recruiting Ser Jorah to speak with the Prince. I've also spoken with Corrine at some length, warning her in detail of his exploits and actions. I also mean to try to reach out to other Houses and see what work he's done on them. Beyond that, we've only to maintain vigilance and be prepared for the unexpected."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:41 pm

Daveth gives a wry grin. "
Have I mentioned yet today how much I appreciate your help?"
he looks down. "
Not sure I'd call it 'heroism' at the inn, so much as pure Northern stubbornness, but I appreciate the value of a good story."

He nods. "
Alright. Let me know if you need any help. Else I won't get involved."
And I once more step away from the brink. How many more times will I have to? How many more times will I be able to?
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Gwyneth nods, regarding Daveth steadily. She reaches out to take hold of his shoulder and squeeze comfortingly.

"
Thank you. I know how hard this must be. Keep your hands clean. We will keep you informed."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Daveth nods back, then frowns, as if remembering something. "
One of the positive rumours about me said Lady Alysanne Blackwood defended my reputation. You mentioned rumour control. Was that at your urging? Or should I be worried that within House Blackwood, there might be those who've dug into my history and seek to tie our houses closer together? That would, I think, not be in House Coldbrook's best interest, but we certainly don't want to offend House Blackwood."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 pm

At that, Gwyn laughs. "
That's something people added on themselves, I think,"
she says, giggling. "
Rumors grow like children...they're rarely exactly what you expected them to be. But it's not a terrible thing for there to be interest in who you're pursuing, or vice versa. It could even lead to ladies taking notice, with some fortune."

She grinned. "
We ladies are inveterate gossips, after all."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Stop a bloody revolution, and the world barely bats an eyelid. Chuck my guts around a disaster zone, and suddenly I'm desirable.

The world is mad.

He gives a small smile, slightly reassured. "
Alright. I'll add it to the list of 'things to keep an eye on'."
He pauses. "
Again, thank you. I ..."
he stops, looks down, then looks back at her. "
I'll get back to my books."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 pm