Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

+4
Kevan Lyras
Yoren longshore
Lady Corrine Marsten
Septon Arlyn
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter - Page 2 Empty Re: [D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

Post by  Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 am

Edmund looked up from reading the letter long enough to chuckle at the impetuous septon.

"
Quite demanding for a septon."
He said with a smirk. "
Perhaps we should all hear out the Ironborn before we start setting such terms?"

Back to top Go down

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter - Page 2 Empty Re: [D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:20 am

"
Will then let's have the ironborn of R'hllor explain himself."
he used his position of piety to play me, I will stick to my bargain, let's see if he sticks to his
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 am

OOC: Sorry bed caught me unawares.
Yoren waits for peoples voices to turn down before gesticulating with his hand and telling: "
The issue at our hands is, far as I can tell, a matter of what's been said at the different occasions.I made a deal with Corrine, which I'll uphold either way. I offered my men in support for free, because the Longshore have many men ready to take up arms. What we lack is gold. When the septon, from one of the richest houses in Westeros offered us terms, he offered us terms that would cripple my people with debt for years to come. At the same time he has been asking for donations from poor houses to build on Dulver land, again, one of the richest men alive."

Yoren smiles a rogueish smile: "
let me just say that I have no regret for what I did, I will not indebt my people for generations to come, just so that Dulver may find a little more gold to store behind his turnips. Shows how godly a man he is: wishes to crush a people in debt just to squeeze a little more gold behind Dulvers turnips."
Yoren beckons to the young lord: "
I know that you have nothing to do with this,that you wouldn't want to hold a people ransom for generations just to have something to stow away. Know that I'm not bearing a grudge against you, only the man that wanted to make my people slaves to debt. As for you septon: the contract is crystal clear, I'll provide the men required and my people will not be crushed in debt just like in the papers."

He beckons to the rest of the people who are present. "
I'll hardly want to waste your time more than necessary. In fact I'm ashamed to admit that this was the way I'd planned to save my house from debt, but me and the septon will work it out. You won't need to be present, both me and the Dulvers have enough men. I have 400 men if that's what the deal will be and Dulver has a few hundred under his turnips, regardless you'll have your men."

Yoren smiles reassuringly: "
Sorry to drag you away from your preparation for this."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:46 am

"
Wealthiest Houses?"
Asks the Septon incredulously. "
My dear lot Yoren, how little you know houses fiances."
He slowly shakes his head. You believe that just because house Dulver's is not under Cushing debt that we are the wealthiest house? My friend."
Septon Arlyn said those words with irony. "
You misrepresented your interests. You speeches are flowery and your words are charming. But they are coated in venom. You have proven your untrustworthy nature here, let the other houses note this."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 am

"
All other houses represented here together may have a chance to compete with you, but singularly none of the present has any chance"

"
You are the one who shows to be untrustworthy when I have black on white your support. Call me underhanded and I'll accept but the fact remains, you sit on huge wealth and refuse to help those in need. At the same time you beg for money from others. You use the piety of others to further your own interests. I've seen the likes of you before, all religions have a few like you, but that doesn't make it right."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 am

"
Yoren, when we spoke last you had talked in great detail and concern for the need of a marketplace to produce wealth for you and the small folk who live in your land. Yet you are setting out for the lands north of the wall, costing Gods only know how much money? Due to the other conditions of your Sister becoming a ward of House Dulver, the interest that was offered to you was a more than fair rate of 10 % compounded. The iron bank alone is a rate of 12% compounded! We also offered a smaller payment plan over the course of 5 years which would have given you an extra year that you hadn't asked for to repay your debts. Nay my Lord, you are chasing ghosts north of the wall whilst tricking the Dulvers into funding your venture by making false claims that it is to benefit your small folk. The name for that my lord is manipulation which is a co-man's bread and butter. Those who spin lie after lie to fit their agenda and are cowardly and cannot be trusted. If you are truly going to provide the 200 additional troops that you promised then he agreement still stands and lord Dulver will honor his end and provide the funds that were promised to build your marketplace. As an additional gesture of good will, Lord Dulver is willing to provide an extra 100 troops of archers and 100 troops of support to the house Maresten's campaign. "
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 am

"
That is enough arguing,"
Corrine intones clearly, though not yet raising her voice. "
Let us see to the facts first, before we debate intent and apportion blame. My lord Yoren, do you have the agreements that you signed to hand? I would have them shown to this delegation, so that we may discern the conflicts."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:56 am

"
Here you have it."
Yoren gives a piece of paper to Corrine. "
But I'll refute his allegations:"

"
The expedition costs litte money, but the benefits are big. Fossoway steeds, the greatest there is, may after this voyage be bred to find food all by themselves. Think! All the worry about having enough feed for winter travels: gone! They've given me a scholar to find medical plants, which may save countless lives. Also, there is tales of wildlings farming. If they may farm in their climate then if we get that grain, we'll be able to farm in the winter months. Think the countless of lives this may spare! And all you think of is a little gold, which will amount to less than what you wished to take from my house."

Yoren is clearly exited about the prospect. "
We'll be able to stop people from fearing harsh winters. We'll no longer be at the mercy of how long a winter may last. As for being a con-man: I admit that I tricked you, but a deal before your gods is still a deal. You wished to ruin my people with your tricks, thinking I was the common ironborn who you'll doubtlessly have tricked before, but here you met a man who is not going to bend over and (pg rated)."

"
You may think of my people as dim, or savage, but I'll tell you that I've forgotten more on my journey than you'll ever know! One of my friends knew six languages, six! Give your rabble units to the campaign, you have misunderstood what soldiers are. Your men are soldiers in the same way that trees and stones are a house."

Yoren says finitely before going back to his drawing, but it seems that his hand holds the quill harder than what is necessary.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 am

Kevan follows the conversation quietly, trying to comprehend the entirety of the deception in discussion.
Yoren, Yoren, what kinda shady deal is this? And then to try and justify it with a speech about the rich crushing the poor? I would have expected you learned about such things during your travels to the East...

"
I don't think we need to hear any justification, but are rather interested in the facts. It seems like if Yoren has indeed the men to fulfill his obligation to us as well as Septon Arlyn, which means providing 400 men, then technically, both contracts could still be met, no?
However, in light of these machinations, I would prefer if House Dulver could instead send units of their own, while Yoren provides the 200 men he promised to us directly, if possible?"

Last edited by 157 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 am

Corrine gives Kevan a little nod, then looks to Yoren again;

"
This is but one contract. I would have you present all of them, including the one I signed. I would also ask you to tell us all, in honesty, how many men you actually have to spare."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:15 am

"
We're not finished here! You greenlanders think that you can break all agreements because of convenience? You think that iron born are dim witted and easily dissuaded? First Tullyson, then Dulver. I have some 500 men to spare, but that's beside the point! Agreements are to be kept, regardless of political convenience. When we solve this, then we'll move on to the issue of campaigning. Always bury the axe before going to war, or you'll find yourself with that axe in your back."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 am

"
I have said nothing of breaking any agreements, Yoren,"
Corrine responds curtly. "
Calm yourself, please, and let us look over the contracts."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:44 am

Lord Dulver, by his Retainer Septon Arlyn will provide[5 wealth] for Yoren of house Longshore to be paid back at the end of a two years period. In exchange for this goodwill House longshore will meet up with two hundred men (two units) to fight against clansmen for the duration of a campaign.
Yoren settles down: "
Sorry, got a little carried away."

The writing on the paper is in a good condition, although a little of the dryingsand still clings:
[Assuming Corrine reads it]

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 am

Corrine reads the letter, then passes it to Ben.

"
While these two agreements are, individually in order, Yoren, and I understand your financial difficulty, brought about by Athelstan Pyke's actions, the issue, to my mind, is that when House Dulver offered troops to House Marsten, there was the understanding that the units would be House Dulver's own, not borrowed Ironborn. While I do not doubt your men's efficacy, if I had wanted four units of Longshore men, I would have asked for four, rather than two."

She looks over at Walton Dulver and Septon Arlyn;

"
By all means, fortify your own lands with the Ironborn you have bought, but do not try to pass them off to us against the clans. Our agreement, as I understand it, was for Dulver men."

She then looks to Davain;

"
My lord Davain, does this sound similar to your own agreements with House Marsten? Or that of Ser Fendrel &
Ser Jon Cobb? Who was House Bartheld intending to send to us?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am

Yoren nods: "
That will be agreeable."

When Corrine brings up Davain Yoren Interjects:
"
We had no agreement with Davain to send troops... only to support his claim over his uncle."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:21 am

Yoren longshore wrote:Yoren nods: "
That will be agreeable."

When Corrine brings up Davain Yoren Interjects:
"
We had no agreement with Davain to send troops... only to support his claim over his uncle."

"
I see,"
Corrine acknowledges. "
Might I ask what was offered in return for your support?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:27 am

"
200 dragons."
Yoren reddens slightly: "
I'm just trying to provide for my house, we have clung, starving, on our rocks for centuries, I just want the smallfolk to go to bed at night not worrying about whether they can feed their children."

Yoren looks around in challenge: "
you'd all done the same. don't deny it."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 am

"
I am denying nothing. Nor am I judging you at this point. It was a simple question. It is now between yourself and lord Davain what happens to your arrangement, now that Ser Fendrel has withdrawn his claim."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:45 pm

"
Yoren, you speak of wanting us to respect you and your people. Yet you then act like this. I don't just mean the contracts, but also your behavior in this meeting.
I will not speak for the others here, but I for one do not see these actions as respectable."

"
Now, I am no Maester, but it seems to me that agreements made in bad faith carry no weight... and Yoren, if you find that objectionable I'm sure we can ask Lord Gorman for a legal ruling... if you think you can afford his court fees a second time."

"
I propose that House Dulver provide two units of soldiers to fulfill both the agreements made betwen Septon Arlyn and Ser Jon, and the agreement made between Ser Fendrel and myself.
Further, in place of the two units from House Longshore, I will provide two units of men from House Drakeson. I have no doubt they will at least be the equal of the Ironborn troops."

"
Yoren, take the troops you promised north with you instead. I have been to the wall, and if even a quarter of the tales I heard from the Watch are true, you will need a considerable force lest you invite an attack. It is a hard land that far north, and hard lands breed hard folk. From what I saw, I suspect that unlike with the clans or the Ironborn, raiding is not merely a traditional way of life... it is a necessary means of survival."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Septon Arlyn looks incredulously at Yoren. "
You speak of House Dulver of being the wealthiest house. Then you come sniffing for 10 wealth from us, settling for 5. Then are donating 1 wealth to the Baratheld's, taking a grand trip past the wall, risking men and wealth on a dangerous venture with unknown likelihood of success. Forgo paying any interest on your debts by providing men to a campaign that you had already promised men to, making it so that you would be having 400 men in another Lady's land. You had convinced me to support your own small folk over my own, those funds that I provided you where the funds that Lord Dulver had promised me for my orphanage"
The Septon clucks his tongue. "
The deal is off. My friend. The contract stated for the use in the use of men in the mountain clan campaign. Your services is no longer needed, as Lady Corrine has eloquently stated, she already has 200 ironborn men, she wants Dulver's men. If narrowing this money will put you in financial hardship then House Dulver will not be lending you money as Longshore lands would not be a good investment. Lord Dulver is not known for charity, but for investment. As a fellow godsworn I gave you leniency, an offer of goodwill and faith with that proposal, and you prepay that goodwill by calling us viscous people whom want to crush you and your people under the debt that will last generations? We did not seek out the Longshore's offering them a loan. We do not want to offer a loan to a people whom can not repay, it's bad for us, as we do not recover the funds provided, and its bad for you, as you are under a deal you can not repay. Those situations lead to violence as one party seeks repossion of its wealth. And with your houses stronger militarily might there is no garentee that House Dulver *could* receive back the money you would owe it."
After talking himself through the possibilities again, and with the coming to light of Yorens plans and machinations, Septon Arlyn steels his resolve,This upjumped ironborn thinks that he can play me the fool, we will see how the ruling goes for Lord Tully if we have to.

Last edited by 167 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Septon Arlyn nods in agreement with Baelon.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:12 pm

"
Septon, I am sure you do not mean any disrespect, but it is for your liege lord to decide whether or not to uphold a deal,"
Corrine states coolly. "
My summoning you here was to confirm the details you had learned, not to make or break deals."

She looks between the Septon and Yoren;

"
And I will thank you both to keep the slinging of insults at eachother for after you are well away from this pavilion. I brought you all here to solve the problem, not exacerbate it."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 pm

"
The agreement is still a fact, now if Dulver nulls it, then we'll solve this civilly. We'll go to our lord protector, you to yours, and we'll see what happens, no need to involve others. Sorry for this inconvenience, Corrine: decide whether you want me to contribute and I'll do what you want."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:"
The agreement is still a fact, now if Dulver nulls it, then we'll solve this civilly. We'll go to our lord protector, you to yours, and we'll see what happens, no need to involve others. Sorry for this inconvenience, Corrine: decide whether you want me to contribute and I'll do what you want."

"
Do not treat me as some petty merchant to be dismissed,"
Corrine raises her voice a touch, standing up, her expression finally showing a flicker of anger through her carefully managed veneer of calm.

"
You have treated this meeting and everyone in it with insufficient respect, and you seem more interested in blaming all of us for your woes than explaining your double-dealing behaviour. You seem more eager to break off your agreements than anyone else. So, Yoren of House Longshore, I suspect you protest too much. If you hold us in such contempt, why deal with us at all?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:36 pm

"
Because I believe in your cause. After today I understand why you'd want me not to contribute. If you still want my soldiers, they're there, that offer is still on the table. I just told Arlyn that this matter will be taken to my lord protector, for him to send a raven to Lannister, if he so sees fit."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next