Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Path to Impeachment

4 posters

Go down

Path to Impeachment Empty Path to Impeachment

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 am

Nathan stood tied to a post looking at the two men, his usual faint smile on his face. They leered at him menacingly, arrogant and threatening. It’s nice they are so pleased. He thought. Nathan had gone through a great deal of effort to ensure they got him exactly where he wanted them.

Over the last month, Nathan had managed to dismantle almost all of Luke Seldon’s network. It had just been a matter of time before the Mayor of Hartsbridge realized it was him and moved against him. This particular meeting was long in coming;
although credit where it was due, it could have been much longer. Up till now he had used a light touch, but unfortunately that was impossible with these two.

Mayor Seldon had only three men of importance left, and two stood before him now. Maeric, the smaller of the two men, was everything Nathan despised: virulent, cruel, arrogant, and sadistic. Certainly his partner Wendo was brutal and abusive, but was far too stupid to truly be evil.

“So, you’v bin the one caus’in ‘is worship all the trouble.” sneers Maeric. “’ows it feel now be’in tied to a post.”

“Well, I prefer to be tied to beds, even chairs in a pinch, but it’s not bad as far as posts go.”

Maeric punched him.

Nathan spat a bit of blood. “Please don’t punch me in the face. I have my career to consider.”

Maeric punched him again, in the face.

“I guess I should have expected that.” said Nathan, running his tongue along his teeth to make sure they were all still there. “I’m very busy. Can we just move onto the bribe?”

“Got yur coin ‘ere.” laughed Maeric, hefting Nathan’s purse. “Twenty silver’s nice, but not enough ta betray the Mayor.”

“How about a gold dragon?” replied Nathan.

Maeric’s eyes widened then narrowed. “Got it on ya? I ain’t doin no wild goose chase.” Nathan opened his mouth to say something but shut it again, looking uncertain. “Ya do, don’t ya!” Maeric pounced on him. “Tell me where it is or I’ll take it off your corpse.”

“Small inside pocket, hidden in a handkerchief.”

Immediately the man rummaged through Nathan’s clothes and retrieved the handkerchief. Unwrapping it revealed a bright gold coin shining in the firelight. Both men stared at it in wonder. Neither had seen a gold dragon before. Maeric picked up the coin and bit into it. His smile widened. It was real!

They both look so happy. I suppose everyone deserves a moment of happiness.

Wendo’s look of joy turned to confusion when Maeric fell over dead.

“Maeric?” He shook the man. “Maeric!” He shook the man harder.

“I am afraid he is gone, Wendo.” said Nathan as he untwined the rope from his wrists. “Unfortunate, but I saw no alternative. I’d prefer not to have to kill you too.”

“Maeric?” his voice trailed off. “How did you-“ He looked up to see Nathan untied. “How did you-“ Wendo pulled out a dagger and backed away. “You’re a witch!”

“This can play out two ways, Wendo. The first is you kidnapped me, Maeric found the gold dragon, and you killed him for it. The Captain will believe me. Lady Marsten will believe me. Even Mayor Seldon will probably believe me.”

“Why don’t I just kill you?”

Nathan sighed. “Wendo. He was not your friend. I know how cruel he’s been to you all these years. You owe him nothing. Besides, given how easily I killed him, what do you think your chances are?”

Nathan waited patiently while the man processed this. “And the second way?”

“You will tell me all I want to know about the Mayor. Then you will take that pouch of silver and the body, and both of you will disappear. I will say nothing, and this night will never have happened.” Nathan used strong affirmative statements. Wendo was used to taking orders from authority figures. With Maeric gone, he would be naturally submissive to the next strongest personality.

The silence dragged on, broken only by the crackling fireplace. Finally Wendo nodded.

They talked for almost an hour. For the first ten minutes it was difficult, but Nathan skillfully coaxed the information he needed from the man. Finally, Nathan rose and tossed Wendo his purse.

The man rose to leave.

“Wendo, you’re forgetting something.” Nathan said softly.

The large man looked fearfully at Nathan. “Is it safe to-"

“Yes. It’s fine.”

The man hoisted the body over his shoulder easily and moved to leave.

“Wendo…” said Nathan softly. The man turned. “Get as far from here as you can. Go north, to Winterfell. They can use a man like you, and I think you’ll be happier.”

With a nod, he strode into the darkness.

Picking up the coin from where it fell to the ground with the handkerchief, he moved to the fireplace and laid it on one of the burning logs. He waited for the cloth to burn away and the coin to grow hot. A waste perhaps;
the coin might have been used again, but carrying it was too great a risk, and Nathan disliked killing people if he could avoid it. He was just removing the coin with tongs to drop it in a nearby bucket of water when Syd entered.

“Looks like you got what you need.”

“Most of it.” Nathan replied. He glanced at Syd. “Something wrong?”

“I’m just… it’s just...”

“Should I regret removing a man like Maeric from the world?”

“No. I suppose not.”

Nathan sighed. “I do regret that there are such men in the world that need to be removed.”

“I just didn’t realize you were so…”

“Ruthless?”

Syd looked uncomfortable. “Dangerous. You just killed a man and manipulated another into giving you everything you wanted. You even convinced him to clean up after you…. and you did it with your hands tied behind your back.”

Nathan rose, pocketing his coin. He walked up to Syd and clasped him by the back of the neck. “Underneath all this scruff, and for all his failings, is a man with a good heart. You have nothing to fear from me, and I doubt you ever will.”

Syd smiled and nodded.

“You are right though.” said Nathan causally as he walked to the door. “Betraying me is probably not a good idea, so you will let me know should you ever wish to leave my employ for someone else.”

Syd’s smile faded as he nodded soberly.

Last edited by 119 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Path to Impeachment Empty Re: Path to Impeachment (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:14 am

Nathan stepped out of his carriage and surveyed the square. The town party was already in full swing. Free food and drink was always a sure way to attract large and boisterous crowds. Ser Jon stepped from the carriage behind him. His face was stoic.

“You’re sure about this?” he asked.

“Things are already in motion. We must trust in my planning and luck. I believe as you do. Sometimes boldness is necessary and the Gods reward risks taken in a good cause.”

Nathan strode across the central square. He was dressed head to foot in leather. His high necked long coat nearly touched the ground, cinched tight at his narrow waist. He wore no cloak, a large hood draping across the back of his shoulders. High black boots carried him across the cobblestones. The mask he wore was simple black velvet;
elegant, but unremarkable compared to some the townsfolk wore. Nearly all of them had gotten into the spirit of the evening and were enjoying this taste of Bartheld hospitality.

As Nathan had predicted, Luke Seldon immediately moved to intercept him. “Master Mason, I would speak to you.”

“Of course, Mayor Seldon,” smiled Nathan, “but I have only just arrived. Perhaps later.”

Putting up his hood, Nathan strode into the crowd. A look from Ser Jon effectively warned the man off. Within minutes the two figures were seated in the Inn at a shadowy corner previously arranged. Jon ordered drinks and then reached over, grabbed a gloved hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “It’s alright. Everything will be fine.”

Syd looked at Jon and gave a weak smile. “Why am I not the one going?”

“You know why. The plan was his and the risk is his. Besides, he cares about you and didn’t what to put temptation before you that you might not be able to bear.”

“I’ll never pull this off.”

“Yes you will, because Nathan would never have asked you if you couldn’t.” smiles Jon. “Just stop slouching.”

Nathan lighted onto the warehouse floor, immediately moving to a large bin of newly delivered turnips. He had to be quick and cautious. He did not know how long his ruse would work, and while the warehouse guards were drunk, they might not be drunk enough to take chances. Fishing through the roots, he retrieved a long object wrapped in cloth.

Moving to the back of the warehouse, the young man started quietly moving boxes until he uncovered a crate. Quietly as he could, he opened the crate and sifting through the hay, he pulled out the object he sought. Slowly he pulled the sword from its scabbard.

Nathan had to admit that Valyrian steel swords were truly works of art;
infinitely efficient in function and flawless in form. I wonder how many have died to you, or to possess you. Such weapons were a tribute to the Stranger if anything was. Perhaps they are his Holy symbol. There was nothing more fitting to bear that name.

He quickly unwrapped the other object to reveal a similar sword. It was good quality castle-forged steel enameled from pommel to tip in a mixture of powdered silver and mother of pearl. Side by side it was a crude and obvious copy, but alone and at a glance it would serve well. It would even pass a close examination provided the one doing the examining had never seen an actual Valyrian steel weapon before.

Placing the fake in the scabbard, he replaced it in the crate, closed it, and replaced the boxes. Wrapping the real sword in the cloth, he returned to the bin and buried it deep under the turnips. Quickly he climbed back up the rope, retrieved it, and smoothed out the small hole in the thatch. The whole incursion had taken less than a minute.

With a soft touch from Ser Jon, Syd rose and moved through the large crowd to the bar as Mayor Seldon struggled through the same crowd to get to their table. The frustration was clear on his face when he arrived to find his quarry gone. He intently scanned the room.

“Mayor Seldon, you seem upset. Can I buy you a drink?” asked Jon.

The man suppressed a snarl and launched himself back into the crowd, heading to the bar. He reached the figure he sought, grabbing him by the shoulder and spinning him around, hard enough for his hood to fall. “I would speak with you!”

“Of course, Mayor.” smiled Nathan, turning. “How can I help you? Can I buy you a drink?”

Seldon leaned in a whispered through gritted teeth. “I want to know who you are working for.”

“We all want things. It’s a shame so many wants go unfulfilled. I don’t work for anyone, Mayor Seldon, except perhaps for my clients in the bedroom, or possibly for the greater good. It would seem to me that the greater good was much overdue in Hartsbridge.”

“Listen to me you fucking, jumped-up, mincing, pillow-biter whore. You think this is a game! You don’t seem to understand just how dangerous I am. You won’t win.”

“I take great offense at that.” replied Nathan with a level gaze. “I do not ‘mince’. As far as you being dangerous, the only thing dangerous about you right now is your breath. As far as the ‘game’, I have already won. The only question that remains is how long it takes for you to realize that. Don’t take too long Seldon. If you want to run, you’re rapidly running out of time.”

“How are those drinks coming?” says Ser Jon standing behind Seldon.

The Mayor gives the Knight a lethal glare and whispers fiercely to Nathan. “This Knight won’t be able to protect his pet whore forever.” Turning, he stalks off through the crowd.

“Like you need my protection.” said Jon with a snort.

Nathan wraps a hand around Jon’s arm and smiled. “There are times when I will… just as there will be times when you need mine… but tonight, let’s just collect Syd and celebrate.”

“Out of my way!” snarled Seldon at is guards as he moved to unlock the warehouse. Slamming the door he moved to the rear, tearing off the boxes and opening the crate. He gave out a deep sigh. Good, the sword was still there. Replacing the lid he called to his men. “Take this, and follow me.”
Just you wait. He thought. Once I’ve sold this, I'll put a price on your head so high there won’t be a man or woman in the Seven Kingdoms that won’t try to collect it.

Nathan sat in his usual morning spot – a small table near the window, drinking pear juice and reading his book. One of Jon’s men, Laryn, entered and approached. His gate was slightly unsteady.

“I guess you enjoyed last night.” smiled Nathan.

“Yes, milord. Thank you. Had a bit too much, but nothing new about that around Ser Jon.”

“I doubt there is a drop of wine or beer left in Hartsbridge. Given the bill, I should hope not.” he replied. “I wish you weren’t so formal with me, Laryn.”

“Prefer it, milord.” says Laryn “Informality with you leads down roads I shouldn’t go.”

Nathan grins. “Shouldn’t go… not ‘wouldn’t’ go.”

Laryn clears his throat uncomfortably. “There are two men here. Did you order a hundred pounds of turnips?”

Nathan smiles softly and glances out the window. “Yes, Laryn. Just have them put them out back.”

Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Path to Impeachment Empty Re: Path to Impeachment

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Nathan swept into the solar with his usual light and energetic stride. Today, he was dressed in a doublet of deep forest green, rarely a colour he wore, but obviously done as a subtle allusion to his politics. He carried a long oak box, simple in craftsmanship but elegant in design and behind him was a servant carrying a rather formidable stack of paper.

There were four in the room waiting: Isobel, Corrine, Benedict and Lord Kreiger. Lord Kreiger looked especially discontented and disapproving. Of course, given the man’s extreme piety, he had a great deal of practice in both. As the servant set the papers on the table, Lady Corrine opened her mouth to greet the young man, but was rudely interrupted by Kreiger.

“Are you responsible for this!” he demanded. He pulled out a note summoning him to the Marsten Hall, purportedly from Lady Corrine.

“Of course.” Nathan replied amiably. “I needed you here and I doubted you would come simply because I asked.”

“Lady Corrine, I demand satisfaction for being inconvenienced by this whore’s duplicity.”

“Lord Kreiger.” continued Nathan evenly. “It is precisely my talent for duplicity that brings us here today. As I do have a reputation for giving satisfaction that I need to maintain, perhaps this will suffice.” Nathan dropped the box he held with a loud clatter and flipped it open. Inside the Kreiger ancestral valyrian steel sword lay, cushion in velvet, sparkling in the morning sun. “I believe this belongs to you? Careless of you to lose it.” he said acidly.

“I was tempted not to return it to you. I could have sold it as Seldon intended. I have better connections than he does and I am sure it would have made me an obscenely wealthy man. However I am already a wealthy man;
and whatever you may think of my profession, it is an honest one. Having the skills of a thief does not make me a thief, and being obscenely wealthy rarely brings anyone good fortune. A better reason to keep it would have been to keep it from being used to kill those I care about should the politics of the realm worsen, but as you could do that with any sword, even that seemed insufficient. Is that satisfaction enough for your inconvenience?”

[OOC: Thread is now open to Corrine and Benedict.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:14 am

Corrine's eyes widen a little to look upon the beautiful sword. Nathan's comment about it being lost carelessly makes her visibly wince though. She speaks quickly after Nathan finishes, eager to defuse the tension;

"
Well done, Nathan. Not only removing the influence of a corrupt man, but to also return the Kriegar ancestral sword. My Lord Kriegar, isn't this wonderful?"

She looks at Lord Kriegar optimistically, hoping that he will be appeased.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:20 am

Ben checks his peripheral to make sure Isobel and Krieger can not see him, before he gives Nathan a pleased smirk. Then he sets quietly and lets Corrine diffuse the tension.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Lord Kellan Kriegar looms over the others in the solar, seeming even taller and more imposing than normal.

He shakes his head in baffled wonder.

"
Endurance? Returned beyond all hope..."

"
Lady Corrine, this is indeed a wonder."
He manages a nod in agreement to the young Lady of House Marsten.

He falls to his knees before Nathaniel, or before the sword, as some will recount it in days to come.

"
By the Warrior, you have done House Kriegar a great service master Nathaniel."

The normally dour, brooding lord seems overcome with relief, and rushes forth an oath in gratitude, with little thought to the long term consequences.

"
Your words and noble sentiment have moved me. By the Seven, Endurance and those who serve it will not raise their hands against you and yours."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 pm

"
You have done Houses Marsten and Kriegar a great deed, Nathan. Thank you,"
Corrine says gratefully, smiling. She moves to Kellan's side, placing her hand gently on his shoulder;

"
Will you use it to avenge your son, my lord?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:11 am

Nathan was visibly taken aback by Lord Kreiger's fervor. He had assumed the weapon had simply been stolen, but it would seem it had been acquired by more brutal means. A gentle reminder by the Crone that knowing much does not mean knowing everything. A lesson in humility.

"
I thank you, Lord Kreiger. Hopefully such an oath will never be tested."
He placed a hand on the man's arm. "
I do not know who took the sword, or how Seldon acquired it. There is every indication that those who first gained possession of the sword are now dead, but I cannot confirm that. Certainly Seldon made substantial effort to silence any who knew of the theft or his involvement."

Nathan turned to Lady Corrine. "
Perhaps it is best Seldon survived his encounter. I am sure he would be a font of information with suitable inducement. It should be obvious by now he was not the victim of barbarians. He was almost certainly attacked by those whom he planned on selling the sword to. You see, I did not just steal the sword from Seldon. I replaced it with a reasonably convincing counterfeit. Good enough to fool Seldon, but probably not good enough to fool his buyers."

The young man's deception was plain. It was obvious Nathan had intended Seldon to meet his fate by his own corruption. Had the man been honest, or perhaps had second thoughts, he could have easily avoided his doom by simply returning the sword or disposing of it. By trying to sell the sword, he was a good as signing his own death warrant. There was something ironic about a deceitful man attempting to profit from a counterfeit sword he believed was genuine. Nathan had gone to great pains to give the man sufficient rope to tie his own noose, and it was only by the Gods, fate, or luck that Seldon was not dead right now.

Nathan gestured to the large stack of papers. "
You have more than enough evidence to convict him ten times over, my Lady. What you do from here is up to you. Certainly there are a great many people who are dead or suffered at this man's hands, but unfortunately he has only one head to pay for those crimes. It might even be worth letting him keep it. I was able to... dismantle... the majority of his network, but I am sure there are still a few I was not able to reach, especially whatever contacts he had within the town garrison. He would have had to have at least some town guards on his payroll to operate with impunity for as long as he did."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:21 am

"
Thank you, Nathan. He will be dealt with. I am not sure how he acquired Endurance either, as it was lost in the last clash with the clans. I intend to find out though. Your work has been invaluable. House Marsten is in your debt."

Despite her careful, calm poise, she smiles warmly at him.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:02 am

Ben blinks for a long moment at Krieger's words. He was grateful to see Seldon ousted and Krieger's heirloom returned but that oath could be spun many ways. A few not beneficial to House Marsten. The man was already on the brink of walking away form the House and oath to someone else no matter how small could be trouble.

"
Nathan, truly you have done House Marsten people a great favor."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:20 am

"
There is no real need to thank me."
Nathan smiles. "
But I appreciate it none the less. It was fun. Life threatening at times, but fun. I will consider the matter concluded."

"
I'm not interested in a reward. I will, however, need my expenses covered. Espionage does not come cheap. Bribes, diversionary parties and counterfeit valyrian ancestral swords all have price tags. Twenty gold dragons should cover it. I expect you will recoup far more than that when you confiscate all of Sedon's property. I'd also like the counterfeit sword as a souvenir if it's ever recovered. Your blacksmith did a wonderful job. It may not be valyrian steel, but it's a fine weapon, none the less."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Corrine gives a subtle nod;

"
You shall be reimbursed for your expenses, and we shall see what we can do about your other request. Let it be known that I value those who help House Marsten and those who serve it,"
she adds, clasping her hands and smiling cordially.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down