Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D3 EM Learning religion

2 posters

Go down

D3 EM Learning religion Empty D3 EM Learning religion

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Ser Jorah sparred with Trelane, longsword vs Short sword and left handed dagger trying to establish the squire's abilities. By no means was the young man a poor fighter and at his age far better than Daveth had ever shown ability.

After talking with Septon Arlyn last night, he had sent a message to House Longshore asking Yoren if they could meet.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

D3 EM Learning religion Empty Re: D3 EM Learning religion

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Yoren looked fresh, his plate gleaming in the sunlight. He stepped onto the training field asking: "
You wanted me?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 pm

"
Welcome ... excuse me, I'm not sure what title you prefer to be known as, and thank you for coming on short notice. I was hoping to discuss a few religious matters with you. After what happened at the Septry in Battle Valley, I have been considering faith and what it means and wished to speak to somebody who knows a lot on the matter."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Yoren shakes his head: "
I only use titles to impress people, you can call me old sodd for all I care."

"
I will need more specific information to help you. There are countless of deities, I can teach you of each of these. I can teach you why religion evolves. I can teach you my theory on how they were concieved."

"
Do you want me to find a deity that suits you the best, or simply explain different deities to find which one resonates with you? Do you want my opinions or just my knowledge? What deities do you know of? You're dornish, so you've heard of mother rhoyne. You've heard of the Old gods and the seven. You've heard of the drowned god. Have you heard of the lady of the skies?"

Yoren smiles to Jorah: "
Sorry, this is a matter of interest to me, I need to improve my way of teaching it to others. After all, knowledge is only parted on through others."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:47 pm

“I had noticed,” Ser Jorah laughed, “and honestly everything you just said resonates with me. I follow the Seven and have no inclination to convert, but I want to understand faith better and what it means to a person. One thing that I was wondering about, and admittedly, this might be a little personal. House Longshore originated in the isles and are predominantly Ironborn in faith. This must mean that at some point, you likely were as well, but here you are, a follower of Rhyll’or. What brought about that change and how have people reacted to that?”

Ooc
You wanted me to speak with Athelstan about becoming a knight and what it means. Mention it here so Jorah can talk to him later when we run into each other.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:37 pm

"
Faith is but a representation of truth, and just like the seven all represent facets of the truth, all religions represent facets of the truth. Athelstan, for one, converted to the seven, and wishes to become a knight, just to redeem himself. To him the truth is redemption, and the seven and knighthood has becone his way of receiving redemption. To me the pure truth was what always mattered, and where most religions diverge from the truth in the interest of earthly gain, R'hllor holds nothing but the truth."

Yoren spreads his hands: "
Some need a faith of peace, like the Lzhareen. Some need deities of cathartic rebirths, like the three faced god. Some wander around for years, searching for the religion that seems the best."
Yoren taps his own chest: "
While some are satisfied with just assuming their local deity is correct."

"
People fear me for my conversion, they start to question their own faith, they resent me for being different, they try to oppress me, to mute me, because of the reflection I wish to bring. Religion should make you think of the important matters, life death and morality. Religion is for everyone to use to reflect upon these issues. Some dislike that, as they may not wish to think. I've killed people for reasons I thought were legitimate, but when I converted I found that my actions may not have been justified, and it is hard to come to terms with being a murderer."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Jorah blinked as Yoren told him that Athelstan had converted to the Seven. ‘Surely Yoren is jesting with me’ he thought, ‘or else that house is becoming as much a group of oddities as House Coldbrook.’

"
And how did you feel and react when they tried to oppress you? For me the Seven represent everything about a person must be or understand at least eventually. Obviously the Warrior holds great sway with me, but then I feel the influence of the others."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:07 pm

"
I'm too powerful to be easily dealt with. Had I been born of lower status I'd probably been found dead in a ditch, but as things are, they can only mutter about it in the dark, behind my back."

"
The seven are all facets of one, and the extent of their unity is much larger than what many commoners understand. They coexist, the seven are all one, ask a septa if you wish. The seven answers your questions, and the deeper down you get the more questions they answer, but so does all different gods. However, their answers are not simple. Take the seven: For each question you have seven answers: Which answer will you pick?"

Yoren asks back.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:53 pm

"
As you can readily imagine, my first instinct is to choose the Warrior, but the other six answers should always be listened to, In days like these, a strong arm is useful, but the others may be the better solution. Listening to them and deciding is perhaps the most difficult decision."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:10 pm

"
That's a good picture of all religions, they all try to teach you something, what is hard is to decide whom to listen to. You are not native to the north, have you ever considered the old gods? For that matter, have you traveled to see far away places?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40 pm

"
I have always followed the Seven and never doubted my path. I understand things about other faiths, but they have never interested me. is there always something worth listening to in another faith? I have briefly lived in the Reach, but mostly here in the Riverlands, occasionally passing through other areas of Westeros."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:47 pm

"
It is always worth it knowing about others morale. Know why people do what they do and you yourself are more likely to understand them. You summoned a lord to attend to you. Had you been a courtesan I'd be livid with anger, however, given what I know about you I believe it to be little more than a lack of knowledge of customs, and I am more than happy to come. Religion gives you that understanding. On the dothraki sea I saw actions that many westerosis would take as an insult punishable by death, but I understood their culture well enough to see that no slight was meant."
Yoren smiles to Jorah, hoping that Jorah got Yorens point: "
You understand, right?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:41 am

"
I do thank you."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:44 pm