Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5 - EE] - Gratitude and Service

2 posters

Go down

[D5 - EE]  - Gratitude and Service Empty [D5 - EE] - Gratitude and Service

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 am

Ereth arrives again to the refugee site to check up on the people, now that he is also about to hae to put up a pavilion for himself, since he won't be staying anytime soon at the Green Door Inn. Yet he was not here to see the refugees, but he could do two things at once, he was here to visit the man that saved lord Forrest and thank him in person, it's the least he could do, as he approaches the tent of were they told him he might find such man.

Announcing himself "
Lord ereth Redwain, I'm looking for Master Nathaniel"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

[D5 - EE]  - Gratitude and Service Empty Re: [D5 - EE] - Gratitude and Service

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:46 am

The guard announces Lord Redwain, and after a few short moments, he is ushered into the pavilion.

The interior is impeccably neat, with a small stone hearth in the center and a large table nearby. Several beds can be seen in small curtained anti-chambers. The furnishings are comfortable and of good quality, but not ostentatious.

Nathan bows to his guest. The boy is casually dressed. He looks young. Perhaps too young for his reputation. He also looks weary, at least around they eyes, but it does not hamper his etiquette or professionalism;
both a part of his very bones.

"
I am Nathaniel Mason, Lord Redwain. How can I be of service?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:34 am

Ereth stretches his hand to signal Nathaniel to stop "
Master Nathaniel, you don't need to bow to me ever"
instead bowing deeply to Nathaniel as if he were the greater lord "
I should bow to you Master Nathaniel, you did my family, and my lord a great service when you saved lord Forrest Frey, and I am here to thank you in person and offer my service or help in what you might need"
stretching his hand "
I would like t invite you to my wedding also, I'll make a small tournament, nothing big to celebrate it and I want you to have a place of honor"

Disposition: Amiable to Nathaniel for saving lord Forrest.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:01 am

"
You are very kind, Lord Redwain."
shaking the man's hand. "
Since we are in private, I will, of course, respect your wishes."
He hesitates a moment, not wanting to give insult to someone he's just met. "
However, it is considered offensive not to give a Lord proper respect, even if it is not offensive to you. Smallfolk have been severely punished for less. So I will beg your indulgence if I continue to do so in public, for my sake if not for yours."

"
You do not need to thank me for saving Lord Frey. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I am sure many would have done the same in my place. I was just about to sit down to a meal, if you would care to join me."

"
I will of course be happy to attend your wedding. The honour would be mine. Who is the fortunate young lady?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 am

"
Yes it pains me how some lords treat the people, and I understand your position, but in private no need for formalities. Yes I make sure my people are living well, after all they are a reflection of my leadership and the way I manage my lands"

A smile in his face "
I would be honored to share food with you Master Nathaniel, I would have brought some cider if I knew from my lands"
and a bigger smile still "
I would be more fortunate for her having me, her name is Alya Longshore, a beautiful woman that looks more like a fabled andal woman, than ironborn"
shrugging his shoulders "
Most people called me crazy, but a beauty like her don't come twice, and I marry from the heart, screw the politics"
taking a seat at the table were Nathaniel indicates and making himself comfortable.

"
You are very kind and educated, one time a man asked me some questions and now I find my self asking them more out of habit, but the answer show me more of a person than they think, mind if I ask?"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:38 am

Nathan goes to chest and retrieves a bottle of wine. "
I would enjoy trying your cidar. To be honest, I much prefer it over wine. House Fossoway makes and excellent green apple cidar. Just the right balance of crispness and sweetness."
He pours each of them a glass. "
This is a Bartheld spring white. Not a particularly expensive vintage. It's supposed to be aged quit a bit longer, but I find I like it as it is."

He begins placing bread, cheeses, and fruits on the table as a young man brings in a pot of stew and places it near the fire. "
We must make do with what the others are eating, I am afraid. Rabbit stew, by the smell of it."
He lades a plate for Ereth and then a plate for himself.

"
You may ask anything you like."
Nathan smiles. "
I have far fewer secrets than I am given credit for. Although I should warn you that a man's questions tell as much about him as his answers."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:00 am

"
Cider from House Fossoway is good and won't be competing with them any time soon, time and prestige has it's advantage. Redwain Cider, has a earthly red color and a cloudy appearance that has a sweet and refreshing taste, and I will make more money by selling quantity with good quality, against renown and good quality"

"
I could have eaten squirrel, just glad the people are having some meat and they are probably done with the few cider bottles I gave them yesterday, they were happy to have something other than water to pass the food"
an honest smile for helping the people at the refugee camp.

"
Fair warning!"
Ereth chuckles

"
Were does true nobility come from?"

"
What makes a man?"

"
How do you serve?"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:49 am

"
You will forgive me, but I would hope that the people would be satisfied with water that is not poisoned, given the effort and expense that has gone into providing it."
Nathan said dryly.

He sat across from the Lord and gave his questions thought.

"
I presume we are talking about nobility of action rather than nobility of station."
he smiled. "
Well, I would like to say that working for the benefit of others was true nobility, but I do that regularly in my own small way and most would not consider my methods noble. Even I don't consider some of my methods noble. Necessary for the common good, perhaps, but not noble."

"
Your second question is easier. A man is made by the choices he makes and the choices that are made for him."

"
Your final question is easier still. I serve myself. That sounds selfish. In a way it is. I have amassed sizable wealth serving myself, and without it I would not be able to assist those people outside to nearly the degree I am. I serve myself by helping them. It brings me pleasure to know I have given them comfort or changed their life for the better. I even served myself when I rescued Lord Frey last knight. Not for this reward, as pretty as it is,"
referring to the diamond ring on his hand, "
but because I know that my actions made a difference."
That and the fact Lord Frey is a very handsome man.

"
My entire life has been devoted to giving pleasure and comfort to others... and I assure you I take just as much pleasure and comfort both in the giving and the rewards. Perhaps more. Some people think they know what that means, but they really don't because they only look at parts of my life;
and usually only the parts they disapprove of."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm

"
Well of course, the water that is fresh is better than poisoned one, I'm not investigating like you are and I don't trust much the rumors or what is told, do I can see and hear from the people what has happened it's understandable, just thought cider would bring a bit more cheer into their day."

"
There is no wrong answers to those questions, each person views things differently, we could read the same book and probably argue over differences of why or the reason behind something. The questions serve two purposes, know what that man thinks of himself like nobility of action or what he thinks he portrays onto others nobility of title. I was deliberate in living the nobility question vague."

Raising his glass of wine as a toast before eating "
For them"
talking about the smallfolk "
For the people."

"
I'm surprise you haven't questioned my choice like many do, of having an ironborn wife that is probably as good as some men swinging an axe as she is dressing in courtly fashion, singing and reading."
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Nathan shrugged and gave the man a soft smile. "
Not really my place to question who you wish to marry, my Lord. I know nothing about her other than she is beautiful and you love her. That is reason enough for most men to marry. I certainly wouldn't question your judgement simply because she is Ironborn."

"
Obviously Lords must take other factors into consideration. Politically, ties to the Ironborn are not necessarily a bad thing, although it will come with it's own set of challenges. They can be an intractable and brutal people. Quick to temper and slow to forgive. They would not be my first choice for a diplomatic ally, but as a military one I would rather have them on my side than the opposing side."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:50 pm

"
I saw profit in trade and a strong military arm, maybe my cider will find it's way to all ironborn tables faster than fossoway cider. Also I think if I ever ship cider to other places they are a safe bet that they will deliver the goods without much problems by sea"
he sips some more wine barely taking any

Be careful with it, you can handle cider, but wine... we know what happens if you drink it freely...

"
I have met lord Bracken today, most interesting lord, but I feel sorry for his smallfolk, they are but property for him. The mention of what his plans are for them and for those that intend to not stay, he was accusing me of stealing them, like they are some sort of cattle or coin I'm riding off with. I was merely suggesting moving them away from Blackbuckle and rebuilding in his domain, but just didn't ask what to do with those not willing to stay, endure this war any more."
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:37 pm

"
Ser Myles Blackwood thinks much the same if not more so, although he has the good sense not to say so out loud."

"
If you are marrying an Ironborn, you may have to get used to the idea. They may call them 'thralls' and prohibit their purchase or sale to get around the prohibition on slavery, but they are slaves whatever they choose to call it."

"
My perspective on slavery may be a little slanted. The life of a slave is completely dependent on the attitude of the master. A good master values his property and cares for it lovingly. A bad master neglects his property and considers it disposable. I was a slave for six years. You might be surprised to hear they were six very good years, but my master was part of the former group. He was a Highgarden Lord who saw me, thought I was beautiful, and purchased me from my Father. He cared for me, educated me, raised me to be the man I am today, and all I really had to do in return was share his bed and that of his guests."

Nathan gestured in the direction of the refugees. "
Were it not for him, I might well be one of them today."
Nathan took a sip of his wine and thought for a long moment. "
I miss it sometimes... especially times like this when there are so many decisions to make and no clear or clean path. A slave is freed from having to make decisions. They have clear expectations and need only follow them. There is something very comforting in that."

The young man looks up, smiles and shrugs. "
Its probably not a popular view, but I think the fundamental problem with slaves is slavers, not slavery."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:54 pm

"
It's a matter of perspective, I was probably once like them, thinking of the smallfolk like nothing much"
Ereth shrugs, "
At the stepstones after living among my men I noticed many things and my eyes opened, they are people like anyone else, the only difference is their birth.. Some of them are more noble than most lords or knights, they have the courage to pick up arms for their families and lord, while knights and lords march for selfish reasons, knights claim honor, but it really is just their ego and pride"
smiling "
Maybe you can find a knight that is true and count them with a single hand maybe two and still have fingers leftover."

"
The right choice always comes from the heart, but regretfully you must be aware of your constrains and move within that space to act."
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 pm

"
As I said, Lord Redwain, a man is made both by his choices and the choices made for him. Will Lord Benjicot Blackwood grow up to be a good Lord? Will he follow his heart or will he take actions that he thinks others will expect of him. Do Knights and Lords start out with that pride and ego, or were they instilled with those qualities by their circumstances and those around them. All living things adapt to their environment or perish, and human beings are the most adaptive of all."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Nodding in agreement and change of subject "
I'm happy we find ourselves some common ground already"
small pause to eat and savoring every spoon full of it "
Delicious! Anyway how are the investigations going? I can tell they aren't getting any easy specially after last night's... warming entrance?"
he smiles, but the memory makes him very thirsty, his cup is now empty.

Water... ask for water...

"
I would have some water if you don't mind me doing so"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:15 am

"
Of course."
He rises to ladel a goblet of water from a large barrel in the corner.

"
The two investigations I was most concerned with are solved. The attack on the Septry was the initiative of Ser Olyvar Lucas trying to fund his political objectives within his House. The Blackwood Maester, Arran, has confessed to the poisoning of Blackbuckle. A mercy, he says, for the Blackwood prisoners there. He says he did so of his own initiative. I think I believe him. Some would like to have the man sent to the Wall to preserve his 'value'. I want to see the man put to death with the people as witness to his just punishment."

"
I have looked into the salting of Bracken lands. The final results of that will probably boil down to financial reparations."

"
I am also looking into the House Darry situation, although at the moment I would prefer they simply drop the charges and stay out of this mess entirely."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:42 am

Nathaniel Mason wrote:"
Of course."
He rises to ladel a goblet of water from a large barrel in the corner.

"
Thank you Master Nathaniel, most kind"

The two investigations I was most concerned with are solved. The attack on the Septry was the initiative of Ser Olyvar Lucas trying to fund his political objectives within his House. The Blackwood Maester, Arran, has confessed to the poisoning of Blackbuckle. A mercy, he says, for the Blackwood prisoners there. He says he did so of his own initiative. I think I believe him. Some would like to have the man sent to the Wall to preserve his 'value'. I want to see the man put to death with the people as witness to his just punishment."

pfftfttFftt!!! almost choking on his water cup struggling for a few moments for some air, and finally able to compose himself

"
My apologies, you caught me by surprise there, what would drive a Maester to such rash action?"
more of a rhetorical question than an actual one "
What value can he have, will he kill the black brothers to save them of their endless vigil too then?"
a dark grim visage and a twisted smile "
Well I'm no one to determine his fate, but in war you learn... many things. A Myrish soldier impaled an enemy knight outside his village when they caught them inside putting it to the torch after killing women and children sparing none. The particular style in how he did it is what is most terrifying, the knight did not die from it right away, he lasted 3 days before he finally passed away."
shrugging his shoulders "
When we defeated them we asked about it, and the reason was so that he could die as he saw what he had done and beg for a swift death, which the seven did not granted him apparently."

I have looked into the salting of Bracken lands. The final results of that will probably boil down to financial reparations."

Rubbing his chin "
As a lord with ample farmlands, there is a way to repair salted lands in a single harvest time, but it will take at least three years or more to bring it back to shape, but at least there will be some production"
he stands up and fills his glass with water "
Come let me show you outside"
walking out side the tent in a spot with plenty of dirt to use "
imagine this is your land that got salted"
he draws a square "
You have to do some deep tilling, so the rich earth from underneath mixes with the top to lower the salt overall"
with his finger he digs deep into the ground like you would be to prepare it for harvest "
Then flush it with fresh river water"
using his glass of water and showing how it takes away a lot of the loose dirt 'This will help clean a lot of the soil. I would suggest to buy a plants that resist salty soil, which most are not productive, but you want them to die on the field anyway, and use them as fertilizer to reduce the effects of salt even more"
standing up pleased with his demonstration of agriculture "
Do this at least twice to be certain that anything you plant there will take hold and grow, but it will still take at least three years to recover the land, and it won't be the same"
cleaning his hand and drinking the last bit of water "
You will have some good yields after the third year, but to be the land it was before being salted it will take five or more years"

I am also looking into the House Darry situation, although at the moment I would prefer they simply drop the charges and stay out of this mess entirely."

Walking back into the tent and taking their seats to continue eating.

"
What happen with House Darry, I heard something like a border skirmish?"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:18 am

Nathan shrugs. "
I would have no problem with impalement for Arran, although some others would prefer kinder methods of execution in fear of the perpetuation violence. I am of the opinion that showing kindness in this instance will only inflame the smallfolk's anger more. My preference is burning. It's quick, but painful, and would be a suitable display for the people. I certainly don't agree that he should be sent to the Wall as Lord Yoren suggests."

[I think Yoren is now the Heir to House Longmouth, so I am using the courtesy address for an Heir.]

Nathan watches the demonstration with interest. "
Master Forthwind mentioned something similar. The natural sciences are his area of specialty with House Bartheld depending so much on the grapes they grow. The soil has a large impact on the flavour of wine, or so I understand. He agrees with your assessment, although he says that it also depends a great deal on the drainage of the soil. He started getting more technical after that, so I am afraid I didn't understand much more of what he said. You are welcome to speak with him, if you like."

Returning, Nathan cleaned off the little that remained on his plate into the scrap bucket and washed it in a tub of greywater. "
I don't know much yet about the Darry situation. The whisperings are that House Darry is trying to make a name for themselves. House Bracken forces pursued House Blackwood forces onto their land. Why they have only leveled charge against House Bracken is unclear, but it may be they did some damage to the Darry property while they searched for their quarry. House Darry is neutral in the feud, and many would prefer that remain so. It may be that they are using that unspoken threat to gain advantage. I expect the easiest solution is to thrown them a bone and send them home."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 am

"
My knowledge comes from lord Perrin Haigh from the last time I was in Broadmoor Keep, it was good times. I was still Ereth Frey back then."
a nice memory and a smile creeps to his face "
Well it was a delicious dinner, and before it get's more late I rather go back"
finishing his food and drink of water "
Like I said, if you ever need something and it's within my power to do it, let me know and I will help you, I just regret I did not bring any men considering how things are."

Last edited by 193 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:41 am

"
It was very nice to meet you, Lord Redwain,"
says Nathan, extending his hand as Ereth had. "
and please send me some samples of your cidar. As I mentioned, I am very fond of cidar. Perhaps I shall become one of your devoted customers."

[/scene?]

Last edited by 119 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:52 am

Shaking Nathaniel's hand with joy "
I will send you some the first chance I get, and I'll make sure to make you a customer and hopefully make me more customers if you do enjoy it"

[/scene]
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down