Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind Empty [D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Septon Arlyn arrives at the Septry with battle valley and is quite impressed by all the changes and work that has been done. Moving amongst the men from the Coldbrooks camp he makes his way to where the brothers were staying. The wet drizzle had slowed down some of the progress, but there was defiantly a bustle in getting things accomplished here. Septon Arlyn finds a brother and asks, "
Who is in charge here?"

"
Brother Turpin, Septon Arlyn."
The brother states.

"
Thank you Brother..."
Asks Septon Arlyn

"
Brother Wouter, So tell me, do you really feel that all the people who attacked the Septry should be impaled?"

"
Yes I certainly do!"
states Brother Wouter with vehemence. "
They deserve nothing less!"

Boy do I have my work cut out for me here Septon Arlyn thinks to himself, "
Can you show me where he is at?"
Asks Septon Arlyn.

"
Yes, right this way."
Says Brother Wouter, and leads the big Septon to his brother.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind Empty Re: [D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind

Post by Reader Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:35 am

Brother Turpin and the rest of his flock seemed most focus on the Father's justice, the Warrior's sword and sending their attackers to the Stranger's embrace.

Still, Septon Arlyn had won a degree of fame by his actions, perhaps he could sway them towards the Mother's mercy?

[OOC: simple intrigue, TN 15 as discussed via PM. DoS matters, affects both numbers they're willing to extend mercy to and extent of mercy]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind Empty Re: [D5 LM] Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:41 pm

[url=http:
//orokos.
com/roll/349854:22yyxu9n]Brother Turin, show the bandits the mothers Mercy, with injury [D5 MM][/url:22yyxu9n]: 7d6k5+2-1 26 (3 DOS)

"
Brother, can you not see that the small folk are troubled in these times? Would it not bring the heart some closure to forgive those who attacked you? By demanding that all of the bandits be impaled you are spreading the hate caused by these attacks. It will continue to cycle unchecked throughout the brothers until you are no longer a Sept of the seven, devoted to spreading the light and love of the message, but instead a place of training for the Faith millitant. I beg of you, let go of your anger and hate, let the light of the mothers Mercy enter your soul and let her forgiveness wash your conscience clean."
Septon Arlyn looks at the brother, trying to see if his words took root.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Brother Turpin seemed swayed by Septon Arlyn's eloquence.

"
It is as you say good Septon, the Seven that are one should guide us in these matters. A mixture of the Father's judgement and the mother's mercy would surely please the Seven here? The brothers and I would be inclined to advocate for impalement for only the most serious cases, murderers and Sept defilers. For the others, a cleaner execution, the Wall or simple corporal punishment would suffice."

"
The royal banner holds sway here and has the right of pit and gallows, but I am willing to appear to confirm the intentions of my flock, or to provide a sealed letter supporting the same."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:38 pm

It would seem that Septon Arlyn's intervention is timely indeed, as the Bartheld contingent arrives with thirty shackled men in tow. Edmund Bartheld leads the contingent. His face is pale and his eyes avoid the large stakes that have been erected for their grim purpose. It would likely take many days for anyone executed in such a fashion to meet their fate in the Seven Hells. A gruesome warning to any who would desecrate a Sept in future.

The young Bartheld bows his head to Brother Turpin. "
As promised, Brother, we are here to lay the Father's justice on these men."
he says in a slightly stilted voice. "
Let us hope that their deaths will give pause to any who would perform such a vile act."

The Bartheld aide is beside him. The young man looks frayed at the edges from a long day and longer night. He says nothing, but flickers a half smile and knowing look to Septon Arlyn's presence.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:56 pm

"
My Lord Baratheld,"
Says Septon Arlyn, bowing before young lord. "
It would seem that the brothers here have had a change of heart. I'm sure you have thoroughly questioned them and determined what crimes they may have committed yes? Well these brothers would like to extend the mercy of the mother to those whom are not murders and Sept Defilers, to the rest lesser punishments of the wall or corporal punishment would suffice, correct Brother Turpin?"
Septon Arlyn asks the brother.

Getting an affirmative from the Brother, the Septon he continues, "
So Young Lord, would you kindly separate the murders and Sept defilers from the rest?"
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:26 pm

The young Bartheld noble pales even more.

Before he can speak, Nathan kicks his horse forward.

"
Almost every bandit captured was a Sept defiler, Septon, and the ones that were not have already beem spared, either waiting the Wall or pressed into the Church's service. These few that remain are all murderers, and unrepentant ones at that, as I spared any that threw themselves on the Mother's mercy. Although, I will admit that not all are guilty of murdering any of the Faithful here."

"
Since you know the Mother's mercy better than I, Septon, let it be you and Brother Turpin that chooses who shall die and who is worthy of the Mother's mercy today."

Nathan looked down on the fat Septon with a smile. You have been hiding from the consequences of your choices for quite long enough, Septon.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Septon Arlyn looks at the young boy, Ah, you did all the easy work for me, you scoundrel. The Septons usual jovial smile appears, although tinged with a slight grimace. "
So if what you say is true, Dear Nathan, Then it would be a simple manner of lining them up for the spikes, is it not."
Septon Arlyn turned to the gathered gang. "
So tell me Men, Do you choose the slow death of the steaks and unrepentance, or do you choose to end your lives quickly by throwing yourselves on the Mercy of the mother? You have made your choices, and coices have consequences, and here is your last choice you can make before you meet the father for his justice. So what shall it be, The sword or the steak?"

[url=Sword or the steak D5][/url]: 7d6k5 19
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:55 pm

"
You mistake me Septon."
said Nathan blandly. "
I did not give you leave to alter the manner of their execution. I gave you leave to spare their lives if the Mother wishes to offer mercy. Not a single man will die by the sword this day, if he dies."

One look on Nathan's face and the Septon knows he is intractable in this.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Septon Arlyn slowly smiles, you devious bastard, "
alright then, you heard the man, either take the black, or die on the stake. The mother is merciful to those who admit to their wrong doing and wish to repent of their ways. Otherwise... May the gods have mercy on your souls."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:12 am

Nathan shrugs and looks at Brother Turpin. "
The good Septon's compassion does him great credit. I am well aware that It is indeed a weighty burden to condemn a man to such a gruesome fate, no matter how vile they may be. If it you feel that justice is served by this, I shall not intervene. Only you can truly know how much you have suffered."

"
I admit that we would take comfort in being absolved of this burden, but it is a burden we are willing carry in the name of the Father. I think that every man here is deserving of the fate he has crafted by his own actions."
Nathan sighs. "
You are the final authority here, Brother. We shall bow to your will."

Nathan glances at Septon Arlyn. His gaze inscrutable.

Refusing to make a choice is still a choice, Septon, and all choices have consequences.

[Nathan's dispostion to Septon Arlyn drops to Indifferent.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Septon Arlyn turns to the brother's, whom most are smiling and nodding with the young boys words, eager to see punishment inflicted upon those vile Sept desiccator's. Septon Arlyn slowly hung his head, shame evident at the brothers bloodthirsty Visage's. gods help me, is there nothing to be done then. I must merely watch as these men suffer this cruel fate. then an idea comes to him. I wonder if these brothers would be so willing to see justice done if the fathers punishment came from their own hands, and not the party under the Royal kings banner.

"
Lord Edmure, Brother Turpin, Nathan, may I have a moment with you in private."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Nathan dismounts from his horse, as does Edmund.

The four move to an area out of earshot of the prisoners, the guards, the monks, and the smallfolk who are collecting to witness the executions.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:23 pm

As the men get out of ear shot Septon Arlyn turns to Brother Turpin. "
Now you said that you would only want impalement for the most serious cases. The Sept Defilers, and murders. These men,"
he says gesturing to Nathaniel and Lord Edmure, "
have presented only the lowest dredges of humanity, the murderers and Sept Defilers."
Septon Arlyn takes a breath, "
Now it would be well within the law to impale these men, in fact, many of our brothers would agree that it would be the proper punishment. However I believe that we should be ruled by a higher law, the will of the gods."
Another breath. "
If these men die here, they will not be able to repay the debt that they have incurred. With murder there is no way to repay that debt, except with more death unless... They repay it with their lives, at the wall."
He gestures to the huddled prisoners. "
I wish to extend them the mercy of the wall. Let the Father above determine where their actions determine what level of hell they go to, for his punishment will be more just then any judgment that men can provide. I know that you and your brothers feel that they should be impaled, but I feel that sends the wrong message about the Faith. Our actions here will reverberate throughout Westerous, as the royal banners are here.

"
Let us send them to the wall, But I want your agreement with me that this is the best course of action. You are the highest ranking of the faith in this Septry, you can blame me for the ruling, but if you continue to push for the impalement of these men then I will push for the brothers to be the ones to administer this "
fathers justice"
"
Septon Arlyn intones

[url=bargin with Brother Turpin][/url]: 6d6k5 28
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:16 pm

[OOC: I have intentionally not started an Intrigue with either the Septon, or Brother Turpin as I have not wanted to try and overturn the work Septon Arlyn has done, but I think that this may go beyond a simple Intrigue. (Nathan is standing right there.) While he actually has no problem with some, or indeed many, going to the Wall, but he strongly feels that an example should be made.]

"
Some debts cannot be repaid, Septon... and justice must not only be done, but seen to be done. What of them?"
He gestures to the monks and the smallfolk. "
Their church was desecrated. Their treasures stolen. Their monks murdered. Will you send the message to them that their lives have no value. Will you give them the impression that men can murder innocents and the harshest punishment these vile men will face is sent to the Wall?"

"
Benjen Frey was sent to the Wall, Septon."
Nathan hisses. "
Was that an opportunity for him to pay for his crimes, or was it only an opportunity for him to spread more evil. Where is the man that denounced his crimes so stirringly a few months ago? Mercy is for men who deserve it."

"
You are a hypocrite Septon. You bargain for these men's lives and speak of redemption when only moments ago you were only too happy to put any or all of them to the sword. It is obviously not their deaths you have a problem with."
Nathan's voice drips with scorn. "
It is obviously the manner of their deaths you have a problem with. Well I say that the pain and suffering they will experience on a spike is a small price in comparison to the pain and suffering they have inflicted on others by their actions. Actions motivated by greed, cruelty, and complete disregard for their victims. Why should they have an opportunity to live out the remainder of their lives. Their victims certainly have no such opportunity."

"
As I said, I will bow to the Brother's decision, but if a strong message is not sent that defiling a Septry is not acceptable, the victims will be dishonored and you run the risk of such a thing happening again, here or elsewhere. You also will have to explain to them..."
he points at the gathered witnesses, "
why this is just."

[Sorry my friend. Smile Nathan's disposition to Septon Arlyn drops to Dislike.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:45 pm

"
Yes Master Nathan, it is the manner of their execution that I have a problem with. I would swing the sledge myself offering those most heinous offenders their death, but I find the spike exceedingly cruel method of death. Just as I would not want to gut a Hart while it still breathed, either would I want to offer such cruelty to a man. No matter how evil or vile his deeds. For of we stoop to their level of repaying cruelty with cruelty how are we any better then those whom we would condemn? Just because we torture those who have committed crimes does that make the torture any less vile? I do not want to be responsible for torture of any kind, be it off the innocent or the guilty. I've killed men, they may have been trying to kill me, but who is to say if I was not placed in a position of privilege that I may have been on the other side of that Septry raid?

Are they guilty? Without a doubt.

Should *we* be the ones to torture them before they meet the Father for judgement?

No."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:09 pm

Brother Turpin seems moved by the Septon's plea for clemency, but he is still a man, and Nathaniel's words have some resonance with him.

"
It is for the royal investigators to determine which punishments best fit crimes done in the Valley. They too shall determine who carries out any sentence here. My holy brother's words have moved me, and for whatever sway my flock has in this matter, let it be said that only a seventh of the guilty should be impaled on the Stranger's fury."

"
The Seven that are One have many faces, and only one face demands this retribution. Let Septon Arlyn and the Mother and Father, Warrior and Crone, Smith and Maide take the others to serve each of them in their aspects on the Wall."

"
I will set my order's thoughts to paper and sign, should such be necessary."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:36 pm

"
Then It will be as the brothers demand it. I have no further objections, Master Nathan."
I would prefer if they would have all had a quick clean death, but only 4 of their number suffering that cruel fate is better then all thirty of these men dying in agony "
Let us gather the worst of rapists, innocence defilers, the murders of children, and then let us send them to the slow embrace of the stranger."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:10 pm

"
We demand little and less brother. I beg both of you not to let our words be misconstrued as such and repeat my offer of written testimony."

"
Let our words only serve as a father's guiding hand: we are an injured party here, not the King's authority in Battle Valley."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:45 pm

"
Very well, Brother, it shall be as you say."
Nathan accepted the judgement, and seemed satisfied by it. While many more than four deserved this or worse, the sentence was an acceptable compromise between the young man's ruthless justice and his compassion. Most would be sparred, but an example would be made.

"
It only remains, which four are chosen. I suggest each of us choose one. I represent the crown in this matter, and was the one the Gods chose for their undoing. Brother Turpin, you represent the church, and the victims of their crime. Septon, you represent the desire for mercy, and should choose one to bear the burden for the mercy shown the others. The final man may be chosen by lot. Let the Stranger himself choose the one most deserving of punishment."

"
Is that acceptable?"
Nathan's suggestion was deeply symbolic. Another way to help heal the victims and send a clear message to future transgressors.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:56 pm

The boy has a spine made if steel, and a soul of something harder. Lord forbid I do anything to upset this boy. I imagine that if he is willing to impaled men for attacking a Septry, imagine what he would do to those who betray his trust. Septon Arlyn pauses and tries to get a good read on the boy, but Nathan's mask has no cracks, and the only thing that the Septon can see it's cool determination in his eyes. the gods have mercy on your enemies boy, for I doubt they shall find any from you.

"
Then it is agreed. Let us choose these unfortunate souls who are are condemning to the strangers embrace then."
Septon Arlyn moves amongst the prisoners, asking for their stories and hearing their crimes, add well as having the man on their left and right tell the Septon of the crimes they committed, in an effort to determine true guilt. Finding whom he feels is the most guilty and offers then up to the spike.

(OOC: Nathan gains a +1 to intimidate vs Septon Arlyn as the Septon thinks your a scary man now. Nice RP :;
): )
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:16 am

[OOC: Nathan is scary under the surface. Shocked But he is a good man, or tries to be.]

Nathan strode over to the prisoners. He choice was easy to predict.

"
The Brothers have chosen to show mercy. Only a seventh of you will pay the Strangers due. Give thanks to whichever Gods you hold dear the lives you have been granted today. As representative of the Crown, I choose you."

He points at the man with the missing arm Nathan had defeated in combat a few days before.

"
You condemned yourself by your own words. You were given opportunity to fight for you life, one that none else here were given, and you failed. You knew the consequences of failure. If I have the right to condemn any man here, it is you."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Septon Arlyn watches on as the three chosen men were gathered, a one armed man, whom Nathan had chosen, a toothless child rapist that had an attraction to those under ten, a broken man who had personally killed 5 of the monks from the Septry whom the Monks had chosen. Now it was the matter to decide who was the final choice.

Septon Arlyn turns to Nathan, "
Who do you feel should be the final representative for the spike?"
Septon Arlyn had 3 additional men in mind whom he felt was the best choice.

"
You wish to send a message that attacking a Sept will lead to a horrible death, so here are the three choices we have in front of us:

1. Rayn Waters, A man who claims he is a bastard from house blackwood. He just joined up to the criminal group right before the attack on the Septry. He did not kill anyone from the attack on the Septry, However he did steal the holy chalice from the Septry and defaced the effigies of the seven. He also was one of the main advocators of attacking the Sept. However refuses to accept responsibility for his actions and refuses the offer of forgiveness from the seven, as he follows the Old Gods and feels that he will denounce them and seek the sevens forgiveness.

2. Ekkehard the rapist. A "
Holy"
man who had been with the company for a while. He has a history among his fellows of inciting others to rape women and kill men and children, but fights with honor and even defended some of the brothers from some of his compatriots when they went from merely looting to killing the brothers, at one point even offering the gift of mercy to a brother whose wounds would have caused him to die slowly and in agony. He is genuinely penitent and regrets his actions at the Sept, often breaking into bouts of tears at the mention of the attack.

3 Giacobbe the baker. A large boy who had been raised among the bandits, and has known no other life. He never knew the Seven or the Old gods and his father was none other then the leader of the band. He is a simple boy, but his ferocity and anger leads him to have killed many men and women and children, killing 4 brothers on his own. He does not find rape appealing and only is with women whom he has paid for. He is a natural leader and lead a part of the force that was not commanded by his father. He does not understand why attacking the brothers would have been any different then attack a town and so is confused by harsh response enacted here. You get from your conversations that he is not a very smart boy, and prone to being manipulated by others.

"
So Master Nathan, we must throw in our lots to decide whom the stranger will take?"
Septon Arlyn seems genuinely exhausted by speaking to these people and hearing of their depravities, But is ready to make his choice.

(PM'ed reader with my choice)
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:21 pm

The defiant pale skinned, blue eyed raider that had found his life forfeit for losing a duel to Nathaniel adorned the spike in the end. None had even sought to earn his name, his crimes meant he was beneath such courtesies.

He was not quick dying and many of the brothers turned away, but not Brother Kyle or Brother Turpin. They had the fortitude to see it through: the Seven had many faces, some of them grim.

[OOC: Will (Courage) TN 6 to not be sickened by proceedings and avert your eyes.

Kyle [url=Will (Courage)][/url]: 5d6k3 16
Turpin [url=Will (Courage)][/url]: 3d6 10
[url=Will (Courage)][/url]: 20#2d6 7 3 11 12 10 6 8 5 6 8 12...]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:58 pm

It was bloody. It was gruesome. It was horrific... and Nathan did not so much as turn a hair before the sight.

[url=Will (Courage) TN6][/url]: 4d6 21 4DoS.

If this prevents any further deaths or attacks on innocent people, he will have accomplished more in death than he ever did in life.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum