Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1]

+2
Daveth Coldbrook
Valar Dohaeris
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1] Empty Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1]

Post by Valar Dohaeris Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1]

Social events in King's Landing are never quite as simple as one might expect, especially in this time of rising tensions. Two nobles, one from each faction, are sponsoring mummers' performances. Behind the scenes though, there are schemes ranging from mischievous to murderous. Will your favored performance be a success? Can you bring down the rival performance? It's all in your hands.

The performances:

• Lord Unwin Peake, a noted supporter of Queen Alicent, is sponsoring a concert. The program includes various songs of the seven as well as a number of popular tunes such as The Ballad of Luecian Longbow and A Lord, A knight, Septon and Archer True.

• Lady Heloise Tully, wife of Ser Eoric, has arranged for a performance of The Dragon and the Star featuring the Mummer's troupe from Drakesport that first made it famous.

If Lord Unwin's concert is more successful than the play, a point is earned for the Queen's faction.
If Lady Heloise's play is more successful than the concert, a point is earned for the Princess's faction.
If there is a tie, your narrator will cackle madly and choose based on who told the best tale of their exploits.

Choose a performance, and whether you seek to support it or undermine it.
If you wish to undermine, choose whether you will be hiring a catspaw or doing the deed yourself.

Mechanics for this event will be posted in this thread next Saturday, March 4th. If you wish to participate, you must declare your choices prior to that post.

EDIT: Mechanics added

Support the Arts Mechanics

Support:
1) Knowledge(Streetwise) or Alertness(Notice) to learn of a plot. [TN 9]
Success means you were able to learn of and stop the plot, either personally or by alerting the host. [+1 point to that performance] Additional DoS add +1 to your step 2 roll.

2) Simple Intrigue to convince the perpetrator to reveal who hired them. [TN 12]
Success lets you shame that schemer [-1 point to the rival performance] or blackmail them [10gp per DoS or equivalent reward negotiated with your narrator]

Undermine:
1) Knowledge(Streetwise) to locate a suitable shady character. [TN 9]
You may spend up to 5gp per DoS. You may spend less. Please state the amount spent in the description of the Thievery roll.

If hiring a Catspaw:
5 gp: 3 Thievery, 1b in whatever specialty best fits
10 gp: 3 Thievery, 2b in whatever specialty best fits
15 gp: 4 Thievery, 1b in whatever specialty best fits
20 gp: 4 Thievery, 2b in whatever specialty best fits

If getting supplies to do it yourself:
5 gp: +1 on the Thievery test
10 gp: +1B on the Thievery test
15 gp: +1D on the Thievery test
20 gp: +5 on the Thievery test

2) Thievery(Any) TN 9
Undermined event takes loses 1 point per DoS.

Special: To Catch A Crook
A character supporting an event can catch a character undermining that event.
If the supporting PC's Streetwise or Notice test exceeds the undermining character's thievery test, they may spend a Destiny Point to declare that they discovered the undermining character's plot. The undermining character may spend a DP to cancel the effect of that expenditure, as normal.
Undermining characters may only be targeted this way once.

If the undermining character is discovered, their plot is reduced in effectiveness by 1 point for every full 5 points the Streetwise/Notice test exceeds the Thievery test, to a minimum of 0.

Last edited by Valar Dohaeris on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1] Empty Re: Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1]

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Daveth will be supporting Lady Heloise's play, The Dragon and the Star.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1] Empty Re: Support the Arts [King's Landing, Phase 1]

Post by Valar Dohaeris Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Going to critique how well you are portrayed on stage? Laughing
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 am

Is there a link somewhere describing the subject matter of the play? A quick search while tired couldn't find it.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:30 am

It's been mentioned in passing once or twice, but never really detailed. A mummer's troupe from Braavos wanted to set up in Drakesport and asked the Drakesons for patronage; in thanks for the patronage they wrote The Dragon and the Star. It is "based on the true story" of Gwyn and Baelon and the founding of House Drakeson.

Baelon for one is not terribly fond of it, as it is a bit too overtly pandering for his taste. Unsurprisingly though he does not seem to mind the attention it garners.

This OOC post mentions it and contains a brief overview of most of it's contents, though the play starts with Baelon joining House Marsten, which happened years prior to game start: The Story So Far... (House Drakeson).
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh dear, I'd forgotten about that.

Hrm. Is it possible to 'play defense' and try to undo attempts to undermine? Or is that just flavor text for 'supporting?'
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Theomore will support Lord Unwin's play, but depending on what supporting entails, he may potentially opt to make no action meriting any dice rolls.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Gwyneth Drakeson wrote:Oh dear, I'd forgotten about that.
Yeah, I wanted to bring the artistic endeavors surrounding Luecian in particular to the fore again, but could really only think of one artistic creation that could equally be seen (by those who wish to see it that way) as political for the Blacks and was centered on players/a player house.

Gwyneth Drakeson wrote:Hrm. Is it possible to 'play defense' and try to undo attempts to undermine? Or is that just flavor text for 'supporting?'

Given the abstraction of an event, that's largely a 'flavor text' difference. "Support" basically means 'attendance/asking around about the event with the opportunity to prevent shenanigans', "Undermine" means 'creating/participating in shenanigans'.

The particulars of what you do to support or undermine, other than choosing one of the options laid out are up to the players. In fact, the best story is the (highly subjective) tiebreaker for the event, so I am very much trying to encourage creativity (though preferably not to the point of straining credulity, stopping a poisoning or a theft is much better fitting than fighting off an invasion of white walkers; trying to poison performers or steal props/instruments is better fitting than dumping a bucketful of manticores onto the stage, etc).

Theomore Tullison wrote:Theomore will support Lord Unwin's play, but depending on what supporting entails, he may potentially opt to make no action meriting any dice rolls.

Your attendance/interest will be noted, given how politicized these events have become (regardless of what the sponsors may or may not have intended) but hey, maybe Theo just likes music better than theater.

Other than that, see the latter part of my response to Gwyn. How exactly you support or undermine is largely up to you.

As a general reminder, higher risk entails higher reward... engaging in shenanigans entails the risk of being caught, so it would be reasonable to assume that there is a greater reward for undermining than supporting. Also, like Reader I don't believe in taking characters out of play unless truly warranted, so just like losing one of the combats is unlikely to lead to character death or disruptive imprisonment, getting caught in this event is unlikely to get your character executed/disruptively imprisoned.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:22 am

Oh shoot totally forgot.

Since Daveth is supporting, I'll try to undermine.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:32 am

Gwyn, just for clarification:
1) I presume you are undermining Lord Unwin's concert? I mean, I wouldn't expect you to undermine the performance you were previously going to support... but I don't want to make any assumptions. Wink

2) Are you going to hire a catspaw or do the deed yourself?

I was hoping Ayleth might post in here, so a little delay while isn't the end of the world... mechanics are ready to go once Gwyn answers the above.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 am

Not sure if I missed this or not due to timezones or not but if possible Darron would like to undermine the play by Lady Heloise and would be personally seeing to it.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Darron Greyjoy wrote:Not sure if I missed this or not due to timezones or not but if possible Darron would like to undermine the play by Lady Heloise and would be personally seeing to it.

Unfortunately this is a King's Landing track event, and you are on the Stepstones track - this happens after the troops have left.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayleth Bartheld Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Ayleth will support Lord Unwin
Ayleth Bartheld
Ayleth Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Valar Dohaeris wrote:Gwyn, just for clarification:
1) I presume you are undermining Lord Unwin's concert? I mean, I wouldn't expect you to undermine the performance you were previously going to support... but I don't want to make any assumptions.  Wink

2) Are you going to hire a catspaw or do the deed yourself?

I was hoping Ayleth might post in here, so a little delay while isn't the end of the world... mechanics are ready to go once Gwyn answers the above.

Agh, I missed this, sorry.

1) Yes, undermining Unwin's concert. Smile

2) That is a tricky estimation, given that I don't know what skills will be needed...but hell with it. Gwyn will do it herself. She could use a little excitement in her life. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:36 am

Gutsy. I like it. Remember that ability substitution is always an option, if you are willing to spend a DP and have a good explanation.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:40 am

Support the Arts Mechanics

Support:
Success means you were able to learn of and stop the plot, either personally or by alerting the host. [+1 point to that performance] Additional DoS add +1 to your step 2 roll.

2) Simple Intrigue to convince the perpetrator to reveal who hired them. [TN 12]
Success lets you shame that schemer [-1 point to the rival performance] or blackmail them [10gp per DoS or equivalent reward negotiated with your narrator]

Undermine:
1) Knowledge(Streetwise) to locate a suitable shady character. [TN 9]
You may spend up to 5gp per DoS. You may spend less. Please state the amount spent in the description of the Thievery roll.

If hiring a Catspaw:
5 gp: 3 Thievery, 1b in whatever specialty best fits
10 gp: 3 Thievery, 2b in whatever specialty best fits
15 gp: 4 Thievery, 1b in whatever specialty best fits
20 gp: 4 Thievery, 2b in whatever specialty best fits

If getting supplies to do it yourself:
5 gp: +1 on the Thievery test
10 gp: +1B on the Thievery test
15 gp: +1D on the Thievery test
20 gp: +5 on the Thievery test

2) Thievery(Any) TN 9
Undermined event takes loses 1 point per DoS.

Special: To Catch A Crook
A character supporting an event can catch a character undermining that event.
If the supporting PC's Streetwise or Notice test exceeds the undermining character's thievery test, they may spend a Destiny Point to declare that they discovered the undermining character's plot. The undermining character may spend a DP to cancel the effect of that expenditure, as normal.
Undermining characters may only be targeted this way once.

If the undermining character is discovered, their plot is reduced in effectiveness by 1 point for every full 5 points the Streetwise/Notice test exceeds the Thievery test, to a minimum of 0.

Last edited by Valar Dohaeris on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:09 am

Hm. In hindsight, it might have been cooler if we hadn't declared our actions publically. Ah well!
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:15 am

I thought about that, but decided against it for pragmatic reasons, and that trusting you all to keep IC and OOC knowledge separate would suffice.

In a different game this could have been a center-point event with tons of cat-and-mouse trying to ferret out the plots and foil them... but alas we have a war to deal with.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Is this something cohorts could reasonably be allowed to offer assist on?

Generally I like this thing, though with the caveat that you can score 2 points through support by way of two relatively easy tests, whereas you need to make 17 on thievery for the same result on the undermine, I'm not sure if anyone not Raff out of this cast can have a good enough shot at making 22 for the risk* to be worth the rewards.

*admittedly slightly low due to DP being in play, and presently no explicit consequence of crit fail.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Arr, I will have to spend a DP to have any chance at all.

But I do have a DP to spare...

What are the consequences of the entire thing though? Like...what happens if one play is successfully undermined? I'm a little unsure what I'm using this DP to accomplish. Is this really important enough? I only have two of the suckers after all. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Arg, my apologies. TN 12 on thievery was a copy/paste error - should be 9. Will correct immediately.
Simple Intrigue is higher because of the negative disposition of the caught crook.

Intent was for undermining to have the greater margin of success, to compensate for the risk of being caught.

Theomore Tullison wrote:Is this something cohorts could reasonably be allowed to offer assist on?

Generally I like this thing, though with the caveat that you can score 2 points through support by way of two relatively easy tests, whereas you need to make 17 on thievery for the same result on the undermine, I'm not sure if anyone not Raff out of this cast can have a good enough shot at making 22 for the risk* to be worth the rewards.

*admittedly slightly low due to DP being in play, and presently no explicit consequence of crit fail.
Per the Story 3 cohort rule, yes Raff could assist.

Risk intentionally low, as this is a side event more than a main feature. In consequence the (additional) reward for that risk is also low.

Narrator always reserves the right to do things with critical failures or extreme successes beyond the posted mechanics, to add complexity to the narrative in an organic way.

Gwyneth Drakeson wrote:Arr, I will have to spend a DP to have any chance at all.

But I do have a DP to spare...

What are the consequences of the entire thing though? Like...what happens if one play is successfully undermined? I'm a little unsure what I'm using this DP to accomplish. Is this really important enough? I only have two of the suckers after all. Smile
You can decide whether or not to spend the DP after making the Streetwise test - a good result there can greatly improve the odds, to the point of a "free" DoS/taking a crit fail off the table. Failure can be spun into a good narrative as well as success, though of course we all wish to succeed.  pirat

The performance with the highest final score earns a Princess/Queen point - no immediate reward, but large rewards available at the end of the Story (click here for details).
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Valar Dohaeris wrote:Support:

StA - Knowledge - TN9: 4d6 13 Argh!  1 off getting a +1.
StA - Persuade (Convince) - TN12: 5d6k4+2 23 ...Nevermind.  3DoS, and I doubt a bonus for Compelling would up that.

+1 point to Lady Heloise's play, will think on other effect and discuss/define later.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayleth Bartheld Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:38 pm

http://orokos.com/roll/494097

Just barely noticed.

Narrator Edit:
Awareness: 3d6 10
Ayleth Bartheld
Ayleth Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Indeed, Lord Unwin is pleased by your assistance.
Go ahead and make the Simple Intrigue to see if you can get the unlucky ill-doer to give up their employer. You can either embarrass the blacks or blackmail them to make some money, or if you have some creative other idea of what to do with the information, let me know.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:18 am

I'm hoping to have this and older Phase I events wrapped up this upcoming weekend.

The events are currently standing tied at 1 point each, but we are still waiting for:

Daveth's shaming/blackmail [-1 pt to Lord Unwin's Concert, 30GD, or something creative (TBD in private forum)]
Ayleth's Simple Intrigue for shaming/blackmail
Gwyn's tests
Theo's tests

Also, I would love to see some creative stories about what plot you discovered and how you stopped it (or what you did, in Gwyn's case)... but that's not required.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next