Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D7:EN] What's in a name? (closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D7:EN] What's in a name? (closed) Empty [D7:EN] What's in a name? (closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 am

In a corner of Riverrun Castle, far from prying eyes, the sound of clashing blades and grunts of exertion can be heard.
Baelon sidesteps a thrust and brings his sword around, taking advantage of the opening made by his opponent's attack to return the favor...

...but the opening isn't enough. Prince Daemon flicks his wrist, intercepting his son's practice blade and sending it flying, clattering across the floor as it slides to a halt.

"
Better,"
the Prince says, "
but not good enough yet."
He sets his practice blade down on a table. "
That's enough for tonight."

Baelon retrieves his practice sword and puts it on the table with his father's. He can feel the improvement in his skills, but his father's assessment that it is not enough yet is equally obvious.
Perhaps applying these new techniques in an actual combat situation will do the trick. The fight this morning was over almost before it began. The melee tomorrow - that should give me a better opportunity to try out what I have learned.
He takes a pitcher of water from the table and pours himself a mug-full. Drinking deeply, he leans against the wall. It has been a very long day, and full of surprises.

"
I have some news father. Several things, actually. First, I have ensured that House Marsten will align itself with the Black faction, as you asked of me. Indeed, within the year House Marsten plans an assault on the mountain clans that plague them, and plan to do so under the Black banner.

"
Second, I am to wed Lady Gwyneth Marsten, the cousin of Lady Corrinne. The ceremony will be joint with Lady Corrinne's own wedding ceremony, here in Riverrun, pending only word of assent from Lady Jeyne Arryn.

"
Finally, I have decided to leave House Marsten's service, with the blessing of Lady Corrine. It has not been made official yet, but I will be founding a new banner house in service of Lord Tomas Coldbrook."

He pauses, taking another drink of water.

"
That last item raises an interesting quandary. The surname 'Waters' was given to me during my serving time at Dragonstone, but it is not a fitting name for a noble house. I would like a name that hearkens to my heritage, but of course do not wish to offend you or Princess Rhaenyra by too closely referencing my immediate but not public relations. Any advice you have on what would be appropriate - or not - for a name, blazon, or words would be greatly appreciated."

OOC: My describing the banner house as a 'noble house' is in the looser sense that includes knighthood as the bottom tier of nobility. I'm assuming that would be the generally assumed meaning of his statement.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D7:EN] What's in a name? (closed) Empty Re: [D7:EN] What's in a name? (closed)

Post by Reader Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Prince Daemon nods in satisfaction at the confirmation of House Marsten's allegiance, and at Ser Baelon's progress with the blade. No mere brigand or hedge knight would best his blood, the heir he could not claim.

"
I expected no less. A clear path to the mountains is vital - let none doubt that it were black swords that cleared out the clans and black swords and hold the passes."

He snorts at the mention of Baelon's betrothal, but as ever with Daemon it is hard to discern if he is amused or scornful.

"
Lady Gwyneth - a fair second prize, but a prize nonetheless."

"
You were right to seek my counsel - names are powerful things, and weighty. Symbols too, particularly for the illiterate lowborn."

"
Indulge me before I answer your quandry: what would have a name do? Challenge men and gods to hear your claims, to admit the truth their eyes present when they watch you fight, to acknowledge your lineage? "
Hear me Roar"
like a Lannister?"

"
Or quieter, less grandiose. A choice of subtlety and poise, while you further your family's goals without braggadocio and vanity, needing not the songs of bards and the histories of Maester? Such a path is not without its advantages, although we counsel against going as far as House Codd's "
Though All Men Do Despise Us"
."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Baelon considers his father's question carefully.
Someday I hope to be able to have a conversation with him that does not feel like a test. In the meantime I just have to make sure I pass these tests.

"
Since I left Dragonstone, I have taken the former approach. It was necessary, to build a reputation as more than just a mere bastard hedge knight. I modeled myself upon your reputation and let others draw their own conclusions about my parentage. This approach has served me well."

He takes a drink of water, then continues.

"
On the other hand, I no longer need to be so attention seeking. I have built a reputation of my own, and drawn the eyes of those I most wished to see me. However, now that I have gotten such attention, whether or not I am shouting from the rooftops, I cannot change who or what I am. Under any name I will draw attention, whether I desire it or not. Given that, it seems to me to be better to embrace it and use it rather than seek to change it."

He smiles sardonically.

"
Of course, I would not want to be the counterpart extreme of House Codd either. Taste and dignity are at least as important as anything else."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:27 pm

"
Well spoken. A dragon cannot hide its nature, and its very presence both incites and awes others. Why fight it?"

"
Now that we have our approach, the name itself."

Daemon seems almost playful now, unlike the serious business of swordplay. Politics appears a chance for the former Lord Flea Bottom to tweak the noses of his rivals - Prince Daemon's ideas were all certain to set tongues wagging at court.

"
As bold as 'Dragonson'?"

"
Or 'Blackson' or 'Darkcrest'. with the Targaryen dragon in Black on Gold, or some other imposing colour, to reflect your unorthodox lineage? Too melodramatic?"
'

"
'Roguespear', clearing the way for your father? Do not think I have not heard men call why 'The Rogue Prince' - why not own the name?"

"
Baelaryon would match your cousins in house Velaryon and irk my brother, which does much to recommend it."

He smirks at the idea.

"
Lesser men may look askance at a man who establishes a house in his own name, but let the sheep bleat."

"
My noble mount Caraxes would no doubt be delighted by Caraxon or some-such - it claims your true family, but more subtly than the other possibilities."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Baelon weighs his fathers words. Boldness, but not melodrama or recklessness, that was what was needed.

"
Perhaps 'Drakeson'? For those who know even a word or two of High Valyrian, the meaning would be quite clear. Perhaps with a dragon sigil, in black to indicate my political allegiance?
'Caraxon' or some variation could work with a red dragon, of one head rather than three, and a divided field with only part black for more obvious differentiation."

[OOC: Reader, apologize for the long delay on this, I was PM discussing this with an 'anonymous' third party with significant stakeholder status... for the sake of wrapping it up, feel free to post any final thoughts the Prince has on the matter, and lay on me the bad news that we discussed a little while back... then I'll put a button on it and /close]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm

"
Drakeson,"
intones Prince Daemon, testing the sound of the word.

"
That or Caraxon seems fitting to me. Both lay claim to your lineage, but in the proper fashion."

"
Take care that your heraldry is not seen to mimic the royal arms too closely, lest men mistake your claim to your parentage for a claim on the throne. I'll not have men note your shared your father's boldness as the lop off your head."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Ser Daemon suddenly picks up an arming sword set asid on the table earlier and twirls it with a dramatic flourish.

"
One more matter. My lady wife is a women of great strength and character, but none of us are without our flaws."

He gestures at Ser Baelon with the sword, holdin it level.

"
The Princess's displeasure at your existence is clear to the council. Do not be surprised to find men of ambition seeking your head as a short cut to the Princess's favour. As a member of the Kingsguard, Ser Lorent Marbrand is oft in the Royal company's presence, and takes care to note you as a stain on the honour of both the Princess and House Royce. The women of the Vale are a homely lot - your new wife excepted - yet I fear some in the Vale have long memories. One can hardly blame the men of the vale for reviewing their handsome sheep so vigorously, given the alternative."

"
Ser Lorent is dangerous - he earned his position by merit."

"
Be watchful my son. Do not be a piece in another man's advancement."

Or at least, be your father's pawn was left unsaid.

Prince Daemon finally lowered the blade and resheated it.

"
Now, let us return to drawing from unusual positions - news on the real threats you face should focus your mind..."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Reader wrote:"
Drakeson,"
intones Prince Daemon, testing the sound of the word.

"
That or Caraxon seems fitting to me. Both lay claim to your lineage, but in the proper fashion."

"
Take care that your heraldry is not seen to mimic the royal arms too closely, lest men mistake your claim to your parentage for a claim on the throne. I'll not have men note your shared your father's boldness as the lop off your head."
Baelon laughs.
"
Yes, I am quite fond of my head being firmly attached to the rest of me. I intend to have several differences. A dragon, yes, but not a three headed one, and while I will have some black to make my affiliation clear it will certainly not be the entire field. My betrothed would have me add a star, which would serve as additional differentiation. The intent is to reference the royal arms, not imitate them."

Reader wrote:"
<
snip>
The Queen's displeasure at your existence is clear to the council. Do not be surprised to find men of ambition seeking your head as a short cut to the Princess's favour. As a member of the Kingsguard, Ser Lorent Marbrand is oft in the Royal company's presence, and takes care to note you as a stain on the honour of both the Princess and House Royce. The women of the Vale are a homely lot - your new wife excepted - yet I fear some in the Vale have long memories. One can hardly blame the men of the vale for reviewing their handsome sheep so vigorously, given the alternative."

"
Ser Lorent is dangerous - he earned his position by merit."

"
Be watchful my son. Do not be a piece in another man's advancement."

<
snip>

"
Now, let us return to drawing from unusual positions - news on the real threats you face should focus your mind..."

Baelon nods thoughtfully.
"
I will be wary of Ser Lorent - and of others who may have similar ideas."

He collects his sword from the table and returns to his lessons.

[/scene?]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 pm

A curt nod from Daemon - the time for talking is over!

[/scene]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down