Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9, LA] Wards & Wives (Closed)

3 posters

Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &
Wives (Closed) Empty [D9, LA] Wards & Wives (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:10 am

Despite growing somewhat weary from the already very involved afternoon of meetings, her side and leg aching more with each spell of walking, Corrine makes her way with Ben to what she hopes will be the last of their serious business for at least a few hours;
speaking with the thorny Lord Kriegar.

Crone guide us in wisdom. Give me the power and foresight to mend this rickety bridge.

She announces their arrival, and patiently awaits admission. She unconsciously leans on Ben a little more, taking her weight off her wounded leg, hidden beneath her long skirts.

Last edited by 151 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &
Wives (Closed) Empty Re: [D9, LA] Wards & Wives (Closed)

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 am

Ben nudges her with his shoulder to get her distracted attention. He gives her a reassuring smile.

"
Did you bring the polish?"
He says with levity hoping to relax her a bit. It had been a long day.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 am

"
I think we need butter more than polish,"
she muses in a hushed voice, giving him a genuine smile that momentarily breaks through the tiredness in her face. She had not slept much, between the nightmare, her trip to the wheel tower, and being treated for her injury.

"
Or some honey for our words,"
she adds, with a wry chuckle. "
Once this is over, let us find somewhere quiet to relax. All this moving about, while necessary, is getting more painful. And I think we will deserve a rest after this."

Last edited by 151 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:53 am

"
Of course, love. You deserve more than a rest. Last night was traumatic and today daunting."
He softly rubs her lower back.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 am

(Placeholder)
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:20 am

Lady Isobel sits at her small wooden desk, as so often before.

In contrast to many other guests, she is immaculately turned out and appears composed. Keeping up appearances is all the more important when other are letting their faces slip.

He greets her daughter and Ser Ben with a polite smile and claps for servants to bring refreshments, but does not speak,taking advantage of the silence and waiting for others to break first.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:42 am

Corrine curtsies to Lord Kriegar deeply;

"
My lord, I hope that we find you well."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:25 pm

"
Better than I have been throughout the week my lady. Will you require me to remain behind for the wedding, or am I free to fortify my lands? Whether the greybeard Maesters were right or not as to a return of winter's chill hand, Spring will come eventually and with it increased raids from the mountain clans."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Benedict Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Ben bows formally and nods in greeting. "
Lord Krieger."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Benedict Blackthorne wrote:Ben bows formally and nods in greeting. "
Lord Krieger."

Lord Kriegar returns the pleasantry, but little more.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Reader wrote:"
Better than I have been throughout the week my lady. Will you require me to remain behind for the wedding, or am I free to fortify my lands? Whether the greybeard Maesters were right or not as to a return of winter's chill hand, Spring will come eventually and with it increased raids from the mountain clans."

"
Your presence would honour us, but your lands are more important, my lord,"
Corrine replies. "
A wedding is but a day, whereas the safety of our lands are for generations to come. Go forth and fortify your lands with my blessing. We will hold you in our spirits on the day."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 pm

"
My lady has wisdom beyond her years. This precaution is prudent, I believe."

He nods, seemingly satisfied.

"
Still, House Kriegar should not go unrepresented at our Lady's wedding - may I offer my daughter Gillian as an attendant to the festivities?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:21 pm

"
That would be lovely,"
Corrine replies cheerfully. "
We would be honoured to have Gillian represent House Kriegar at our wedding. Speaking of your daughter, I wished to discuss some family matters with you that might lead to better future prosperity for your house. Firstly, I would like to invite Gillian to be fostered at Hartshorn, to be one of my ladies-in-waiting, along with Ellien Blackthorne. It would give them both a friend to be with while learning the courtly skills. With you serving on my council, I felt it would be apt. In return, I'd like to send Lilleth Lyras to be fostered with House Kriegar, to lend strength to our commitment to mend the damaged bonds between our houses."

Here we go. Let's hope he doesn't take offence.

"
Secondly, more delicately;
with the tragic loss of your son, you are left in a difficult position regarding your legacy. I hope this will be taken in the intended good will;
would you consider re-marrying? I know of some eligible ladies who could provide you with more heirs, helping you to secure House Kriegar's future. If it would be of interest, I would like to help you find a suitable wife."

[url=Charm][/url]: 6d6k5-1 21
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

"
You are right to look to the future. My lady's assistance in securing House Kriegar's future is most welcome."
Business like - no mention of whether or not his wife had been dear to him. Perhaps she was not, perhaps she was and he felt it none of Corrine's business. Perhaps even he did not think fondly of her, but still felt it was not his Lady's business.

Whatever he felt of his wife, his concern for the living was much clearer and freely voiced.

"
As to Gillian, only your kind manner and gentle words stay the concern a father feels in his heart."

"
Marsten inaction killed my son."

"
Now Marsten action is to remove what remains of my family from me?"

"
Where is the Seven's justice in this?"

[OOC: tread carefully, Charm roll stopped him blowing up immediately on this subject...]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 pm

"
I have offended you. I am truly sorry,"
Corrine replies, genuinely cowed. "
That was not my intention. I am trying to help, but clearly it was not appropriate to make such suggestions. I hope you will forgive this error of judgment."

She runs a hand through her hair anxiously and takes a deep breath.

Don't you dare cry in front of him, Corrine. No matter how angry he gets. You can fall apart later. Get through this with decorum.

"
I am sorry, truly, that my mother's inaction deprived you of your son, and deprived Gillian of her brother. I will say that as many times as I have to, but I cannot make it more than words to you. I cannot change the past. I wish I could. I know you value forthrightness, hence my trying to offer possible ways to make things better. Please understand that I only want to regain the trust that was lost by being closer to you. I do not mean to steal away your family. I just thought it would be good for Gillian, but I understand your disinclination to let her go. I may not be a parent yet, but I believe I can empathise with your need to protect her. If you do not want her to leave you, then she will not. I would not tear apart a family willingly. I am sorry that my suggestions offended you, but I assure you I meant well."

Her eyes beseech him to relent in his bubbling anger.

"
I do not know what more I can do for you to show you that I care about your House and your interests, Lord Kriegar,"
she confesses, desperately trying to keep calm and conceal her feelings of frustration and helplessness.

[url=Persuasion - Convince][/url]: 5d6 21
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Lord Kriegar suddenly looks weary, every inch the ageing widower and bereaved parent. Perhaps he is disarmed by Corrine's vulnerability, perhaps planning something, or both?

[OOC: Awareness (empathy) TN 12]

"
Then make us feel like a family. My Lady, your words and manner tell me you want House Kriegar to feel welcome and bonded to House Marsten as we have for generations."

"
But we have had our fill of words - you are kind to offer them and right to say that words have their limits."

"
Your proposal moves me - why not let Ellie &
Gillian brighten both our halls, moving every three month or so? Sharing sorrows and joys is what makes a family and Kriegar has supped too much from the cup of sorrow."

"
By such a measure, my daughter is not taken from me, yet Marsten and Kriegar renew our bonds of friendship."

[OOC: 3 month stays at a time means it won't interfere with stories/offseason activity]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:42 pm

[url=Awareness - Empathy][/url]: 4d6k3 7
[url=DP +1B to Empathy][/url]: 1d6 2
(The dice gods dislike me today Sad )

Corrine's helplessness is lifted somewhat by Lord Kriegar's suggestion, and she nods gratefully;

"
What a wonderful idea, my lord. You are truly as wise as you are strong. You make me wish I had thought of that. Thank you."

She reaches over to touch his hand;

"
I know I am young and green, my lord, but I want to be as good a leader as my father. I will take all you have said to heart. I have no doubt that nurturing Gillian &
Ellie's friendship will be a source of joy for us, and for yourself most of all. A hall needs laughter like a font needs water. Otherwise it is but empty space."

She offers a hopeful smile.

[url=Charm][/url]: 6d6k5 22
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:48 pm

"
Well spoken gentle Corrine, let it be done then."

"
We can but hope the joy their youthful presence brings to both houses eases my demeanour sufficiently to avoid scaring off any potential spouses you can find to share my hall."

This seems to be what passes as a joke from Lord Kriegar.

[OOC: Between you and Gwyn on basic awareness rolls + destiny, it seems House Marsten's luck has run out. The curse of Castle Grenward may moved from Coldbrook to Marsten with Ser Jorah's defeat of Ser Lionel Darry! At least you've been reliably charming enough to pick your way through a difficult scene.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Corrine indulges his awkward, though slightly encouraging joke with a small, smiling chuckle, patting his hand before releasing it.

"
It certainly cannot hurt, my lord. Let us start with Ellie visiting Gillian for three months. Ser Benedict &
I will have our hands full settling into our new roles at Hartshorn, and preparing to face the clans, so Ellie spending some time away would mean she isn't left on her own too much. Does that sound well to you?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 pm

"
Most agreeable my Lady. I thank you for your visit."

He bows, assuming the meeting is drawing to a close.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Corrine stands and curtsies, Ben following with a bow, then they both leave.

[/scene]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Reader Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:42 pm

[/scene]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D9, LA] Wards &

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down