Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In an alehouse near you... (Open)

3 posters

Go down

In an alehouse near you... (Open) Empty In an alehouse near you... (Open)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:26 pm

From around [month 5], a song rapidly gains popularity in smallfolk taverns. Annoyingly catchy, it spreads across the kingdom with a fair degree of alacrity. It's no secret to those who'd ask around that Daveth was indeed the one who wrote it.

(The following shouldn't be taken quite literally since the IC one gained both myself and Ser Jorah Reputation, while OOC this one was written across the course of a few evenings while I was possessed by a fey mood. I'm aware there's probably anachronisms, and the meter is all over the place, but hopefully you can gain entertainment from it.)

There once was a couple in love,
their devotion not mercurial,
but his gods numbered seven,
while hers were more arboreal.

They cared not, their families cared not, and their gods cared not a whit,
In all the lands, there was but one, an odious little shit.

Ser Lionel the Cruel!

Cast off from hearth and home, his heart it stewed in hate,
Placing himself in Stranger's shoes, he chose young love's fate.
Though innocent they were of all bar love, his punishment fatal and slow,
No justice that day, but one day soon, for this little fact we all know.

[Chorus]
Oh, prick up your ears,
and raise up your beers,
For the downtrodden's champion is here,
Raise up your head,
for we're not yet dead,
and now there is nothing to fear.

There once was a beautiful maiden, and she was pure and fair and kind,
Though true to the Seven, and destined for heaven, in the godswood she did often unwind,
On her favourite tree being as thirsty as thee, her heart was moved to compassion,
But on watering it, word spread a bit, and Ser Lionel provoked to rash action.

He kidnapped the girl, and told the world 'this girl will be punished at dawn',
The girl nearly hurled, for in this game of the world, she knew that she was simply a pawn,
'No-one will save me, my time is done, my gods have turned their back',
But not all was lost, for heroes rode forth, and Ser Jorah the Just did attack.

[CHORUS]

For an hour they duelled, the Just and the Cruel, the sun beating down on their heads,
Til with a mighty roar, Ser Jorah poured forth, a blow that struck the man dead,
'Oh, so valiant a feat, to save one such as me, truly you are sent by the gods',
'No doubt that's true, as I did run the man through, but I simply call it my job.'

[CHORUS]

(I was originally going to have verses about the duel against Ser Benjen as well, but seriously, this took *forever* to write for what was just going to be a bit of fun, not to mention my despair at trying to fit 'Ser Benjen the Furious' into a vaguely sensible meter, so I'm letting it stand as-is. The IC version may well carry on, along the same lines of half-truths and outright lies.)

Daveth stands in his tower, dressed in richer attire than he typically wore at the tourney, gently sipping wine as he looks out the window, seeing nothing but his own thoughts. So, it's done. The song is out there, and I am King of Bullshit Mountain. I wonder how many people I've pissed off with it.

I wonder how Ser Jorah will react when he hears it for the first time.

Still, popularity with the smallfolk is a significant positive factor in choosing a member of the Kingsguard. And there, I've succeeded, better than I dreamed possible.
Daveth permits himself a small, cold smile, and takes another sip of his wine, while his mind churns.

(I have +3 in bonuses to add to these results how I wish.
- 3 DoS or more and Ser Jorah earns 1B of reputation.
- 5 DoS = +1B reputation to both Daveth and Ser Jorah (not cumulative).
[url=Daveth's secret project - Status (TN9)][/url]: 3d6 13 Nice! Spending a +1 for 2 DoS.
[url=Daveth's secret project - Language (TN9)][/url]: 4d6 10 Boo! 1 DoS
[url=Daveth's secret project - Persuasion (TN9)][/url]: 4d6 18 Woo! Spending a +1 for 3 DoS.
Total: 6 DoS!)

(So, if you want to, I'm marking this as open so any and all of you can post your reactions should you hear it. I think I'm due at least a half-dozen 'how dare he completely gloss over my involvement!'s. Feel free to raise and lower dispositions if you feel it's appropriate.)

[size=85:2xmfr2zq]Edit: Now with fewer political implications.

Last edited by 133 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

In an alehouse near you... (Open) Empty Re: In an alehouse near you... (Open)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Baelon stifles a groan when he hears the song.
Daveth you fool - of all the descriptors you could have used for Ser Lionel, 'Black' is what you choose? What's the point of raising support if you are going to insult the people who already support your cause? Why not 'cruel' or 'vile'? That boy is going to need to learn to be a bit more politically aware if he wants to play these games.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Baelon wrote:Baelon stifles a groan when he hears the song.
Daveth you fool - of all the descriptors you could have used for Ser Lionel, 'Black' is what you choose? What's the point of raising support if you are going to insult the people who already support your cause? Why not 'cruel' or 'vile'? That boy is going to need to learn to be a bit more politically aware if he wants to play these games.

Ser Baelon's fears were not realised, for thankfully Daveth had honed a superior verse that avoided the... political complications... present in earlier drafts.

Indeed, all the realm adored the song, and with Ser Rickard Thorne clinging to life following the wounds earned in royal service at Riverrun and the blacks enjoying ascendancy in the courts, speculation grew that Ser Jorah Holt would one day replace the Crownlander in the Kingsguard...

[OOC: delighted IC actions and hard work OOC came together to produce this.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 pm

[OOC: Quite happy with how this turned out, but a little friction between Daveth and Baelon would have made for an interesting plot development. I'm sure something will come up sooner or later. Twisted Evil ]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down