Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Away From Home (Closed)

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Away From Home (Closed) - Page 2 Empty Re: Away From Home (Closed)

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 pm

"
If my lady still harbors doubts about myself having the good sense not to lay with young ladies, then I suppose it would be of little use attempting to further declare that I do not?"
Theomore gives a shrug.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:00 pm

"
It was your coin toss,"
Corrine says, after a quiet moment. If you hadn't used that double-headed stag, I could have waved off the rumours about you. After all, I would want people to wave off the rumours that were spread about me. But, you showed me that you are dishonest, and that has coloured your character, in my eyes. It is difficult to trust you."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Theomore sighs, a trick for children..."
Then I shall have to see what I can do to correct that impression, my lady."
He says it with acknowledgement of the mistake, yet at the same time confidence in that she did have the wrong idea. "
I am not as virtuous as my nephew, nor as much as I believe Ser Kevan or Ser Benedict to be. But I am no more dishonest than nine out of ten lords and ladies that my lady is like to meet in court."
Except of course, considerably better at it than nine out of ten lords and ladies, and only a fool did not capitalize on one's talent.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:59 pm

"
He is Lord Benedict now, Ser,"
Corrine corrects him with a little smile. "
And I suppose I cannot argue that he is, perhaps, better than most. Having known such men as him and my father, most men would not be measured so favourably beside them. However, I do try to see the good in others, so I would welcome proof that I have judged you wrongly."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:55 pm

"
My lady would be wise to look for the good, while at the same time be aware that most have something to hide."
Theomore cannot exactly disagree with such an attitude, it would lead to a happier life, as long as one does not get betrayed for it. "
I did need to remind my nephew about things an unwed lord ought not to mention when introduced to a noble maid."

"
Actually, on a different note, if I may be so bold, my lady."
An idea pops into Theomore's head. "
If Dunstan is to be married, then Marei and her child may become an item of contention. I know not how the Lady Tullison to be would view the matter, but I wonder if it may be for the best if mother and child were to live someplace else than Mountain's Reach. I know my nephew would want them well provided for, and to suggest to him not to acknowledge the babe as his would likely make him angry, but keeping them in the household would be an insult to his wife."
Theomore gives himself a pause to word the request. "
If they could come and stay at Hartshorn, and the child be raised and made a knight to serve House Marsten if a boy, or as a lady in waiting if a girl, that worry would go away, and I think that Dunstan might actually be agreeable to such arrangement, as opposed to anything else I might think of."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:09 pm

"
Dunstan does need to work on his etiquette,"
Corrine sighs, though not in any anger.

"
I did tell Lady Aofie beforehand that Dunstan had been involved with a smallfolk girl. I had not known about the child though. She took it better than I expected. Her view is that, while she would want a faithful husband, and would object to having a bastard flaunted in her face, she understands that all men have a past, and cannot be expected to be as chaste as we women are, before marriage. I think your suggestion serves all parties very well. I take it you wpuld like me to broach the subject with Dunstan. I might be better placed to make the offer, which, if he protests, I'm sure you could quietly nudge him in support."

Last edited by 151 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 pm

"
If my lady were to bring up the subject, I think he is less likely to reject it than if I do, yes."
Theomore nods. "
I suspect that his heart and mind will be in conflict on the matter, and it would be easier to say that he does not wish to make the inquiry than it will be to decline the offer if it is made."

"
I would prefer not to maneuver around him like so, but in a matter such as this, that involves a certain amount of delicacy, it may be for the best that one on the lords council makes a suggestion without the lord first having been consulted. Dunstan could hardly be blamed if my lady did not feel inclined to make such an offer, and if so, he would be kept safe from the embarrassment of asking."
Not that this would be very different from how it would go if Dunstan asked Theomore to make a discreet inquiry, but Dunstan might decide to ask himself. The worst thing with manipulating him like this was that he did not learn much from it. But it was better that the mistakes Dunstan could learn from were minor ones.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 pm

"
I will speak with him later then. I'll do my best to convince him that it is for the best. I certainly think that it will make for a more peaceful marriage. Marei and her child will be well cared-for at Hartshorn."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:45 pm

"
So I thought, my lady."
Theomore agrees. "
It is not in my nephew's nature to let any child of his grow up as one of the smallfolk, like most lords would in this case, but that does not relieve him of certain duties."

"
It is probably better for the child as well, to grow up in a household where the lady is bound to harbor a certain degree of resentment towards it is not enjoyable. Lady Rhea did not like me much at Runestone, she did not like my sister for being younger and prettier than her, and that feeling of unwelcome extended to myself."

"
That I always have had a rather creative mind that in those days did annoy more than just a step-niece old enough to be my mother did not help, the prince once said that he picked me as a squire to annoy her, I am not convinced that this was a jest."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:39 pm

"
You speak wisely. For all that Aofie knows she has no part in Dunstan's past, she expects full respect in their future. Having one's husband's bastard around would be distinctly insulting and disrespectful. I am glad we got to have this talk."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 pm

"
My lady may not like colorful pragmatism"
Theomore decides to test a small jest, to see if she might have warmed up some. "
But it does tend to make things go more smoothly"
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 pm

"
When it comes to those I care about, I am in favour of things going smoothly,"
she nods in agreement. "
I am still an idealist, but I see your way can have merit in some circumstances. I suppose that's what I have a council for. So that my principles don't get in the way of House business,"
she adds, with a wry chuckle.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:47 pm

"
That is good to know, my lady."
Theomore responds. "
The realm has need of men that knows how to get results, but someone needs define what results are desirable, and which means are acceptable to achieve them. It can be dangerous indeed should these two roles be held by one and the same."
It always seemed to end with madness or brilliance, Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the cruel had reshaped Westeros with efficiency in their actions, shaping the rules as they went, yet one was remembered as a brilliant visionary that united the seven kingdoms, subduing his enemies with dragonfire, then binding them to him by statecraft, the other a monster, creating two enemies for each one he burned to ash.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:32 pm

"
Quite so. I cannot be everything to everyone. And it hardly bears saying that I will not please everyone."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:46 pm

"
Only a fool pleases everyone, my lady"
Theomore agrees, before dryly adding "
And the best fools showers embarrassment and insult upon lords and ladies, some will not take a liking to his words."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:12 pm

"
Indeed. Many will criticise what I say and do, particularly because I sm young and a woman. But doing the right thing is rarely easy."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:32 pm

"
And there are those who would like to see you fail, my lady."
Theomore adds "
Simply so that they might claim that women are unfit to rule."

"
It would not be a stretch to imagine that there are those in King's Landing that already have picked a side for you in that great divide whether you like it or not."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:48 pm

"
Is that speculation, or do you have more solid knowledge of those who wish me to fail?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:16 pm

"
I cannot say that I know, or suspect, anyone in particular that wishes it strongly enough to be willing to give my lady a push off a cliff."
Theomore shakes his head. "
But I can give you the names of many who would happily look the other way if someone else did, they like to invite each other to their weddings and small tourneys, and you will see many grass-colored gowns."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:50 pm

"
I'd welcome names, if you have them. I would prefer to know what and who to look out for. Prevention is better than a cure."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:13 pm

"
Those in the Vale are not openly so, my lady, if any are, and it would be foolish to side against the Arryns in this, nothing to gain by it. In the Riverlands, I would be weary of lord and lady Tully most of all. The lady in particular. Brackens are gearing up for conflict with Raventree, the clubfoot sits in King's Landing, but Ser Roger Wode, castellan of Harrenhaal, is no stranger to the games of court."

"
The problem with these players, my lady, is that one never knows what they are truly up to until they strike, and even then, it is often through a third party that cannot be directly linked to them. If it was merely one house we knew the strike to come from, we could watch it. But when there are dozens of pieces to be played, most can only do three things: Make sure that one does not show a weakness for one's enemies to exploit, cause distractions they must spend their time reacting to or ally with the enemies of your enemies so that you have friends to stand besides you when the attack comes."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:20 pm

"
Noted. Though, why Lady Tully in particular?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:52 pm

"
My lady did not hear it from me, but Lady Tully wears the pants in Riverrun."
Theomore smiles mischievously. "
She also happens to be one of the queen's premier supporters in the Riverlands."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:22 pm

"
Ah, I see. Thank you for your advice."

[ooc: Since this is miles behind now, shall we wrap up?]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2