Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer

3 posters

Go down

(D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer Empty (D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:02 pm

(D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer 207q2j4.jpg

Two soldiers in armours were guarding simple old military tent, which was wearing signs of many years of usage was protecting from sun, but also made air inside heavy and stifling. There were no decorations and almost no furniture inside, at least not more than was absolutely necesarry: dozen of beds with chests and racks for armours and weapons. And exactly one table with benches on both sides. Simplicity was something, what Ser Garred learned to esteem in his long life. He was sitting at the table eating dense lamb stew from heel of bread, which served as a dish. Two soldiers were accompanying him at the table, some others were cleaning or sharpening their weapons, and few were sleeping after duty. Ser Garred was conscientious man, who always expected full readiness and contribution to their duty. In front of them were laying some carelessly thrown papers, to which no one was paying attention at this moment, as people were busy talking...

[OOC: announce Yourself via PM and come in :;
): Present character is Ser Garred Mountfort ]
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

(D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer Empty Re: (D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:13 am

After a ride through the desolation the war has lead to, even a spartan tent bustling with activity seemed like a haven of tranquility.
His small retinue left on the outside as Yoren enters the tent. Seeing Garred at the table Yoren walks over. "
Ser garred I presume? Your fame as a commander runs before you. I am Yoren Longshore, can i have a seat?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

(D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer Empty Re: (D1:EA, semi-open) Tent under banner with Hammer

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 am

-Not Ser?- Ser Garred stopped eating and lifted his eyes on guest. -take a seat, we are having meal. Break bread with us and eat our meat- pointed with open hand bench in front of him and whistled bending behind. From under armours and weapons jumped out young boy, who quickly made dish from fresh heel of bread and filled it with stew from standing in corner pot. Hot stew was smelling very nice and was dense from lam meat. When he reached out the heel out to Yoren, Garred started -Longshore- weighted words for a second -You are right, I am commander of Dulvers' guard, but believe me: fame is for youngsters and I have already lived 43 days of my name. That's pretty much for a soldier, I assume... but what brings You to our camp, Yoren, of House Longshore?-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:12 am

[Is an intrigue in place?]
"
Thank you"
as he gets his food he smiles at the boy: "
Lord, not ser, though when you've seen 43 years I think you will have learned that it makes little difference."
A short stop after his own little joke before he leans forward and continues. "
I'm here for a proposal. It is a complete mess out there"
waving outside he continues: "
alone we'd be hard pressed for time, and our investigation will be subpar due to time restraints. However, if I can join you out tomorrow much more can be learnt. I've had little experience with warfare, and I think you'd be an ideal man to teach me. I'll be able to talk to people and gather information that way."

Yoren settles back: "
Together we may do more than we can do separately. We may confer together and come up with the order of events. Then when we talk to the rest of the houses we will have double weight behind our words, and will both be heard more as a consequence."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:28 am

Garred only lifted eyes for small moment, obviously not impressed by titles. -Then it's great honor to host a lord in our simple tent.- servant boy quickly came back once more, this time with strong, dark ale in pot. -[color:elctl8f4=#FF0000:elctl8f4]I guess You are not offering taking You as squire- pointed with heel on Yoren. -But my table is always open for people with clear intentions. I am simple soldier, so please forgive me if You will feel insulted, as this is not my intention. We can work together, but it will take some time before I will trust Ironborn. We, Dulvers also live at the coast and our experience say to be cautious with Your kind... but do not understand me wrong, as a soldier i would have to be blind idiot to not admire Ironborn warriors and spirit- made pause for big sip of ale, then continued -but let's start from scratch, as You made first step to make things right. I can give You advice and lessons about warfare, we will work together and we will see where it will take us. Dulvers also need friends... so what are Your intentions and what can we do to gain so needed in cooperation trust?-

(OOC: I would be glad to save intrigues for halls etc, we can RP whatever is needed in here. Garred is ready to cooperate as we can see, without persuasions. I'm not big fan of intrigues vs PCs to be honest, but system is system also Razz )
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:04 pm

[Of course, I agree that pc vs pc may become a little sketchy:)]

"
I only ask for you to point out possible strategies and countermovements on the battlefields we visit together. I'm not able to squire, I simply hope to learn from a man of different experiences. I will of course make sure not to get in your way when we are out there, working. Then I also feel that some of the information we uncover together might be better to present together, as you said, people are unlikely to trust my word for it, so presenting it together might be better..."

Yoren smiles as he takes a sip: "
what do you say?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Ser Garred nodded and reached his hand to Yoren. -Fine. Let's see what will grow from that, Lord- then he just moved his mug to the side and servant boy appeared from nowhere to fill it with ale. -That's Cerwyn, my page. He's good boy, with head in right place.- boy lowered his head in humility, while saying 'Lord'. -Discipline is everything. Soldier must be raised properly. Do You know why noble born are better soldiers than smallfolk?- looked for a while into Yoren's eyes before continued -noble are raised like this boy, for soldiers, from the very beginning. And smallfolk usually grow up before joining the troops, they must be broken to be raised as soldiers. But there will always stay something from their previous lifes. But not only noble ones have potential to become skilled knights, that's why Dulvers take as squires and pages selected youths, who has potential, in first place. And how is with doscipline in Ironborns from continent? I fought only against islanders, i believe, and they are as skilled as undisciplined, I'm afraid. And You do not win wars with thousand separate warriors, but with thousand men united in one army...-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 pm

"
Two gentlemen from House Bartheld, Ser."
announced the guard.

They entered, one a young man with an perpetual earnest look. The other behind him - barely a man grown, but his look a complete contrast to his elder. It was one of casual serenity. Blue eyes flashed around the tent, appraising, cataloging, assessing meticulously. The entire tent could go up in flames and it might not elicit a hasty reaction. When his gaze came to light on Yoren, he gave a soft, half-smile.

"
Ser Garred! A pleasure to finally meet you. Your reputation precedes you. This is an honour. I am Edmund Bartheld. I am leading House Bartheld's participation into these terrible tragedies."
Another half-smile from the boy.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:49 pm

The iron islander seems like a willing enough student, though he had an annoying habit of muttering the keywords of what he was instructed under his breath. As Garred mentions that smallfolk are harder as they must be broken and then built and wont be as good after they are brokem he asks softly: "
much like broken steel?"

For the most part he just listens raptly, and barely noticed the newcomers until Edmund Bartheld starts talking.
Then he lights up as he sees Nathaniel, and while Edmund presents himself to Garred, Yoren tells Nathaniel quietly: "
it is good to see you again."
He gives a small smile back.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:54 am

Garred lifted his mug once to Yoren's words -like broken steel, indeed. And here we come to another thing about steel, Lord Longshore: not used gets rusty!- hit the table with open hand, then heard announcement by guard. Raised his mug once again -Barthelds- nodded his head in greeting -I am Ser Garred Mountfort, captain of Stony Heath's guard. Have a sit at Dulvers table- showed the bench Yoren was sitting at -Are You coming with something or just got attracted by smell of lamb stew?-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:40 am

Edmund was about to politely refuse-

"
Thank you Ser Garred."
said the young man smoothly. "
You are very kind. We have come from Raventree on our way to the Sept and have not had time yet to lunch."
A gentle but firm hand sat Edmund on the bench. "
Your hospitality is appreciated. Allow me, millord."

Moving towards the pot, he picks up a trencher and begins to ladle thick brown stew, giving Cerwyn a soft smile and level gaze that had the odd effect of reassuring the boy and unnerving him simultaneously. Returning to the table, he set the trencher down in front of Edmund, using the distraction to glance at the forgotten papers on the table. "
Will you be eating Yoren?"
he says, returning to the pot.

[[url=Dulver Papers][/url]: 3d6 10 (TN 14 to notice his interest.)]

"
I hope you will excuse the unannounced interruption, Ser Garred. Lord Davain wanted to extend his congratulations on resolving the Benjen Frey situation with such... finality. Our Lord is a strong believer in justice, and justice for the Furious Frey was well and truly overdue. Isn't that right Edmund?"

Edmund nodded vigorously in agreement. "
Oh yes. My cousin is a very good man. He hopes we can dig to the truth here and bring those in the wrong to justice."
He leans forward and whispers conspiratorially. "
He thinks that some of the other Houses have agendas other than the truth of things."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:09 pm

[url=notice][/url]: 4d6k3 15

-And who is Your companion, Edmund Bartheld? I'm afraid I did not catch the name, apologies, it may be my age for seven's sake.- Noticing the interest about papers, Garred handed them to boy. -Don't forget to leave them when leaving. Just military maps of area, King's letter and some other non-important papers, at least as long as Your interest doesn't lay in food and ware listings... I would say it's easier to ask than look over someone's shoulder, but the rule does not always apply to those of noble born...- lowered his head in mock humility -And please don't walk around the tent. If You want something, name it and boy will provide it.- added carelessly, then came back to talk -And Furious Frey, like You deign to call poor bastard, bought up too cheap, if You ask me. Lord's heir finished him in few heartbeats and let him die with sword in his hands... That's very cheap, considering schedule which was awaiting him in Stony Heath's dungeons...- old captain combed his hair and continued -But that 'rebel' is over, justice was executed, smallfolk may sleep calmly. Septon Arlyn also, at least as long as he stays in another room than me- Ser Garred snorted derisively. He was looking into mug for a while, circling foam in it before started to talk again, like he recalled something -And yes, justice... Excuse me, King's justice. However, guilt will lay on side pointed by judges, without matter does it lay anywhere close to truth, I'm afraid... But Dulvers are here to fulfill the obligation given by the king. And what about 'other Houses'? Let's not play in understatements, put the cards on table, as in Your words, it sounded that You have something more to say- Lifted mug towards guests in salute.
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:23 pm

"
Yes Nathan, I'll eat here too. How has things been for you, trade flourishing?"
Yoren purposefully neglects to mention what sort of trade. "
You won't believe what I've done over the last few months!"

Yoren teases like a busybody, and is engaging with Nathaniel even as he also listens to Garred and Edmund. When Edmund confides that some houses has hidden agendas he asks Nathaniel: "
Is he serious?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 pm

"
Please forgive me, Ser Garred. I did not mean to offend. I am used to being self-sufficient."
he smiles and sits beside Yoren, picking up the papers to examine them. "
I am also intensely curious. Some might call that a failing, but I have rarely found it so."
He smiles with no embarrassment. "
My name is Nathaniel Mason. Lord Davain asked me to assist Edmund in his investigation."
He perused the papers with obvious interest.

"
You do a disservice though. Even the most banal information can be important. For example, knowing how much food you brought with you, and with a fair guess at how long you plan to be here, gives me a good indication of how many men House Dulver has brought."
Nathan smiles. "
I recently uncovered an unscrupulous Mayor for House Marsten, and part of that was comparing his payroll records to his purchase records for grain and ale. The comparison showed that either Mayor Seldon was paying two hundred men that didn't exist, or two hundred men had starved to death in the last month."

"
As to Benjen Frey, I agree that the man met a swifter end then he deserved, but since so many previous attempts to give him that justice had been so completely inadequate to the task, preventing him from victimizing anyone further might be the best we could expect, if not the best we could hope for."

"
You ask me to put cards on the table, so I will. A few of them anyway."
Nathan lays down the papers. "
Edmund is serious. House Marsten will attempt to see justice served, but they will have to overcome political pressure and certain ties to do so. They will not have an easy task ahead of them. Lord Dunsten Tullison will also want to see justice served, and if it were only up to him, he might succeed, but he can be naive at times, and other members of of his House can be much more pragmatic. House Drakeson, Coldbrook and Darry all wish to make strong political statements. While I am sure none would mind seeing justice done, an outcome that elevates their position would be infinitely preferable over one that does not."
Nathan glances at Yoren. "
Even your House, my friend, would prefer an outcome that shines a more flattering light on House Longshore than it has enjoyed up to this moment."
His gaze returns to Ser Garred. "
House Dulver has a reputation for pursuing their economic interests with a certain zeal. True or not, it will cast a shadow, depending on the outcome and where suspicion falls. Even House Bartheld is not free of suspicion. Given the recent difficulties with the House's succession, one side will probably accuse us of colluding with the other to secure our position."

Nathan accepted a bowl of stew, smiling at Cerwyn. "
So, gentlemen, while I can't speak for you, I can say with conviction, given the pitfalls that await, House Bartheld will be investigating these incidents with great meticulousness. Something many will not want, and some will go to great lengths to prevent."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 am

Ser Garred waved his hand to push away thoughts -Frey was fool and what happened to him is his fault only.- was sitting with mug in both hands looking into table -You say that Dulvers are economic zealots and question our sense of justice in this delicate matter. But if we would really like to speak about justice...- pointed carelessly the papers -we should start from top. The beginning. Paper says pretty clearly that Blackwoods guilt is what is by expected by the Crown...- looked questioningly on guests. -Yes, already before we arrived here, that's what we already had to come with over here... What will You say about that kind of justice?-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:26 am

"
The Crown's expectations are their own affair."
said Nathan blithely. "
If you are looking for fault in this situation, there is more than enough to spread around. The Blackwoods, the Brackens, their allies for egging on this blood feud for their own purposes, the people for helping perpetuate the feud. Third parties using the conflict for political and financial gain. Even the Crown is at fault. This feud has been going on for centuries with thousands of lives lost, yet only now does the Crown step in to seek 'justice' when there is political expediences to do so and the conflict threatens their political, economic and military agenda."

"
As far as House Dulver, Ser Garred, you are not a fool and I will not treat you as such. I would only advise that any large 'donations' Septon Arlyn accepts on behalf of House Dulver or his ministry will be looked upon, rightly or no, as thinly veiled bribes. There will be those that believe House Dulver's loyalties can be bought. I do not know if that is true or not, but the very fact some believe it will be enough to cast doubt on House Dulver's motives unless they are very careful."

"
We are not here to determine who is at fault. Were it that easy, we could all go home. Everyone is at fault."
Nathan gave the elder warrior a long look. "
We are here to determine who is to blame, and that is another matter entirely. If we are to do the situation, the Gods, and the Crown (not whichever faction within the Crown that wrote this letter) justice, those we lay the blame on should be deserving of it, at least as best as we can determine and our better conscious demands."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:29 am

Gared waved with his hand contemptuously -bribes? I hope it's not the true reason of Your visit... If You think Septon is doing something wrong, bother Faith, not me, nor Dulvers. Or with concerning definition of justice, split into faults and blames, You would like to come with something more, also on this case, boy? I am simple soldier and I know what is duty and loyalty, which our good king demanded... so while You will be leaving later, check also the banner under which Dulvers' one is standing...- continued wifh colder voice. But came back to main subject his voice became usual again -hopefully King will come by himself to hear the decision, so You will have the opportunity to tell him Your thoughts about whole Blackwoods and Brackens case, You would really bring joy to my old heart. But if You ask me, I would force both houses to exchange noble born hostages and live from there. Because mention blame lays on side of long now dead members of those houses... it didn't end within centuries, so why would it stop now?- moved once more mug to side and page immediately jumped to fill it with ale. -Is there any way we could host You?- asked all guests -food, ale, maybe wine instead?- looked questioningly for a while -and as we are already sitting and talking abouf the case, and we all serve under the same king: how are going Your investigations? We are trying to get something more from caught assassins of Lord Blackwood, but we are still 'in process', I'm afraid...-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 am

Nathan continued eating his stew. Was Ser Garred's disdain actual or feigned. If it was actual, then the man was incredibly stupid. In situations like this, perception was almost as important as truth. As a 'simple soldier', he should know that better than anyone. An army that believed they would lose a battle usually did.

"
We are all in service to his Grace the King."
replied Nathan. "
Long may he Reign."
Very long indeed, if the Gods have any mercy. "
Let us hope others see their duty as clearly as you. It is true that most here fly the King's banner. Were duty and loyalty as simple as displaying a piece of cloth."

"
I am afraid you have the advantage over me."
smiled Nathan. "
I was not aware than any suspects in Lord Blackwood's death had been obtained. I am sure if they have any useful information, you will be able to extract it in due course."
No matter how unreliable information gained under what was clearly Ser Garred's 'process' would be.

[OOC: Normally, I would Intrigue Garred at this point, but it is perhaps early in the week, and I am concentrating on other investigations. I have no reservations Intriguing PCs. Indeed, Reader has made it clear that he intends PCs to Intrigue each other during these investigations. Also, my understanding is that Ser Garred is an NPC and Ser Walton is your PC, although perhaps I am mistaken in that and the reverse is true.]

Nathan rises. "
As much as would welcome more of your hospitality, we should really be on our way. The Sept is still a fair ride and we would like to gather what information we can while we still have light, wouldn't you agree Edmund? Perhaps we will have something to share with you after that."

Edmund started when he was addressed, wiping stew from his mouth. "
Yes. Yes, of course."
The young man had listened to the conversation intently, but he had obviously been oblivious to most of it. "
A very great pleasure to meet you, Ser Garred, and you, of course, Lord Yoren."

Both men bowed and left the tent.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:13 am

Garred only saluted in reply to leaving men, and turned back to Yoren -Mason. I never heard about that house, but You seemed to know him better. What can You say to me about him, except lack of good manner and keeping head much higher than his status would suggest? And how are Your investigations going, Lord Longshore? Or You also will leave or change the subject, Ironman?-
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Yoren looks at the icy exchange between the two men, unsure on how to act. When Nathaniel turns on his heel Yoren tries to think of something, but it ends up being a quick: "
Goodbye, see you later"
as Nathanie leaves the tent.

When Garred asks he tells: "
I don't know of his family, but I know that he's not a part of a house, he's just a trusted worker on Bartheld land and they've probably brought him in as an assistant. Edmund is not made for the cloak and daggers they may face here. Edmund is no schemer to say it like that."
Yoren smiles.

"
Nathan is a good man when you get to know him and he may seem to act above his station, but he's been given a high status by his lord, so he has a high position, I'm sure that he lives in much more luxury than I do, although that may not be too hard."
Yoren smiles as he talks of Nathan: "
I suspect that you will like him when you get to know him better."

"
I went to have a look at a battle that happened. Blackwoods came under a peace flag and did a surprise attack, many people perished, and not all men."
Yoren raises his cup in a toast: "
To those that didn't survive, we will give them justice."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:24 am

Captain saluted with his mug in response. -For those who died in battle.- and took big sip. -I admit that many ways of surprising the enemy on battlefield are simply art of war, but hiding under peace flag and doing such a thing is huge dishonor, if You ask me. They could play it in many different ways, but whatever we will say,it ended on Blackwoods' end...- raised the eyebrows -so it was battle or slaughter? I had only time for Raventres Hall, but I hope to check all military activity, which caused King's suspicion and his caused his dissatisfaction in whole Bracken/Blackwood case. And as You said, You would like to acompany me in it. Is there something more You would like to speak about, or is there something more I could do for You, Yoren of House Longshore?- lowered his head in humility
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:07 am

"
It became a battle, it seems that Bracken managed to turn things in their favour. Both sides took casualties. I'll be going for now, but send word for me when you're ready to travel tomorrow."

[scene?]

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Ser Garred saluted with his mug to leaving Lord -Will send the boy with message. Come to us whenever You want. Anytime, Lord Longshore-

[OOC: ready to have more guests :;
): ]
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down