Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed) Empty [D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Daveth had requested that Captain Orell, commander of the Company of the Morningstar, accompany him on an evening stroll. Outside the grounds, so they had at least a chance at privacy, but close enough so as to benefit from its protection, though a small contingent of their guards followed a discreet distance behind regardless - out of earshot, but close enough to scare off any over-ambitious bandit or the like.

"
Captain,"
Daveth began. "
I wanted to seek your opinion on a matter I feel you are best suited to answer. But before we get into that, how is Loreia integrating into the Morningstar? It's been a while, now, but it's hard to judge from the outside."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed) Empty Re: [D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed)

Post by Reader Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:33 pm

[Placeholder - sorry, you got the short end of the stick on a day that was productive for everyone else...]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed) Empty Re: [D1, ME]Changing of the Guard (Closed)

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Captain Orell salutes Daveth, his previous wariness for the young scholar largely diminished by the young man's efforts, albeit not entirely dispelled.

"
Loreia? Credit to the crest Master Daveth."

He pauses briefly.

"
I'll confess I had my doubts Ser, but her display in the melee won the men's affection. They like mocking the men-at-arms from other Houses, a Coldbrook woman outfought all but Lord Drakeson himself, who fights like his father they say."

"
Integration would have been harder as Valyrian steel if she didn't have the deeds to back it up."

"
I'm not sure what aid I can offer in such a delicate political situation Master Daveth, but I'll do my best."

Orell continues to vacillate between Master and Lord when addressing Daveth, depending on how impressed or exasperated he is with the young man on any given day.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Daveth smiles at the report. "
Good. The Morningstar are rightly proud of their skill and achievements, I'm glad they're accepting her.

"
The main matter I wish to discuss with you is not purely political. It is a mix of the political, the military, and the personal. Namely, my protection.

"
This is a dangerous time, and we are in a dangerous location. And things are likely to only get worse. And I am acutely aware of how deficient my personal martial skills are, such that I am wholly reliant upon your men for my protection. But in cases like these, where talented swordsmen abound, the number of men I'd like, to ensure they have the numbers to fight off any ambush, would unfairly deplete the Morningstar's ability to function as a unit.

"
So, what I have in mind is to form my own personal guard. Taken from members of the Morningstar, but done in a way over time that the losses are replaced, so my personal security needs don't compromise the military capabilities of your men. And since these are your men, I felt it appropriate to discuss the matter with you, first. While there are obviously a fair few details, I would hear your thoughts on the basic concept."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Captain Orrell looks Daveth up and down then grunts.

"
Aye, no offence intended Master Daveth but it's too late to make a swordsman of you."

"
At least you've the wisdom to know your own abilities and to recognise that the Morningstar depends on organisation for much of its effectiveness."

"
Patience in these matters is essential, adopting a gradualist approach is key lest we fill diminish the Morningstar in filling your guard."

"
Perhaps some manner of contest, either among the Morningstar or from those not sworn to our service? Castle Grenward would be cheered by proceedings and it would emphasise promotion on merit, inline with you Lord father's beliefs."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Daveth blinks for a couple of seconds before a smile crosses his face. "
A tournament! With the money I've been building, we could actually put on a quite sizable show. That will not only bring in a lot of fresh blood, it would also help increase our influence. Plus, if we do it right, we could not only replace Ser Jorah, assuming he'll have moved to the Kingsguard by then, but potentially actually increase the number of knights sworn to our house."

He looks across at the Captain. "
It's so obvious, and yet I missed the possibility entirely."
the smile drained away. "
There remains one issue though. The leader of the group. Logically, if we go that route, we should offer the position to the winner first. But with the leader, there's a greater requirement than skill. Trust. They are the single weak point in my defences. If they're someone I've just met, I can't trust that they wouldn't take a few gold to arrange a gap in my defences. We'd have to appoint that position."

(OOC: Also, that plan kind of throws a good chunk of my personal objectives out the window. They may need some revision if I go this route.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:36 pm

"
You know your history better than me Master Daveth. There's a reason the kingsguard are appointed, although I fear that makes me the Visenya to your Aegon."

"
I'll back you on selecting the leader by appointment, aye. Better the fiftieth best sword in the realm wielded by a dependable man than the finest sword in the hands or a blackguard."

Military men loved a tournament, but Captain Orell appeared able to temper his enthusiasm for a show-piece tournament with the need for a reliable commander.

"
Further, I'd offer at least one prize by the selection of the man you appoint. Let him pluck someone from the tourney who acquits themself well but need not triumph. Underlines the commander's authority with a display of pageantry and gives him a firm supporter in the ranks."

Or perhaps Daveth would not appoint a man?

[OOC: as ever, this isn't a video game so happily, objectives can be tweaked. Wealth spent towards a tournament would certainly contribute to your personal goal. Hooray for organic story telling. We can kick the fine detail around in your personal forum.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Daveth laughs at the comparison. "
I think you do 'stern, serious, warrior' very well, Orell. I rather fear my comparison with Aegon would not be so kind."
sobering up a bit, "
I agree with your suggestion that the commander pick someone."
he nods "
I'm glad we agree on that. Because the next matter to discuss would be candidates for the leader."
and I'm pretty sure we're going to fight over this one.

"
I think there are a good few candidates in the Morningstar who would do well, and would be trustworthy."
he pauses briefly, and sighs, before continuing.

"
I want to choose Loreia. I've trusted her above all others to keep me safe until now. I see no reason to change. Well, no. That's a lie. There are reasons to change - there will be political consequences for appointing a woman to such a prestigious position, and we may lose otherwise ideal candidates who refuse to serve under a woman. But the test, to me is 'if that person were offered two hundred dragons to betray me, do I have faith they'd refuse?'."
he lets that sink in for a few seconds before continuing. "
I like and trust many men in the Morningstar. But when I ask that question regarding them, the best answer I can give is 'I don't know'. With Loreia, I know. And once we have the men chosen, I can work on developing mutual trust with them - helping me trust them that they won't betray me, and helping them trust me that I won't risk their lives unnecessarily."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 pm

The mood does indeed suddenly sober. Such a step would be a bold political signal.

An uncomfortable silence rushes in, chasing out good cheer.

Captain Kieran Orell appears dumbstruck - does Daveth meet his gaze or fill the silence with words?
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 pm

[url=Keep nerves with Orell (Will)][/url]: 4d6 16 (Optional, but I thought I'd roll for it and see)

Daveth meets Captain Orell's gaze calmly and levelly. Not a nervous youth seeking approval, but a young lord seeking opinions. He patiently waits for the old military man to collect his thoughts.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:22 pm

[url=will][/url]: 4d6 10

Even the formally iron-willed Captain Orell breaks before Daveth's steady gaze.

"
Daveth,"
he drops the honorific in exasperation.

"
This is most irregular. The men who know her would believe she'd earned her place, but others within the house would see it as a political statement. Worse still, others beyond Castle Grenward would see it as us hoisting a Black flag for the Princess high over our ramparts."

The veteran's is holding back from saying worse, out of respect to Daveth or Loreia.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 pm

"
Loreia was named the Warrior's Shieldmaiden by the Prince himself. Minstrel's can't make that kind of reputation - only deeds. And all within the house know that I've had Loreia protecting me for years, now - if they think my favouring her is political, they are fools.

"
Outside the house, yes, I can see that having an impact. Though after I brought in Lord Baelon as my banner lord, I rather suspect my reputation is fairly black already, and it's not like we haven't already been leaning Black. Though obviously, I intend to clear this with my father before doing so, since as you say, it will have political implications. Though you yourself stated that my father is a meritocrat. You think he won't see the Warrior's Shieldmaiden, the woman who successfully duelled both Arrand Two-Axes and Ser Kyle Darry, as the person with the most merit for the role?

"
If you can suggest ways to mitigate the political impact of the move, I'm listening. But frankly, if the choice is between making a political statement that emphasises our existing political leanings and not having a lead bodyguard I can trust absolutely without hesitation, I'll make that political statement every time."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:52 pm

"
Daveth,"
he salutes stiffly, biting his tongue. The honorific notable by its absence once more.

"
Will there be any more? I have duties to attend. You have laid out your thinking and we await your father's decision."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Daveth gives a small growl of frustration. "
I didn't ask you out here to hear my father's opinion. I did it to hear yours. Now, I will argue against it if I disagree, but that doesn't mean I dismiss it. We aren't in public. You disagree, fine. I expect you to fight your corner. You call me simply 'Daveth' - that's fine, too. Here and now, just between us, that's all I am. You have something to say, say it! Don't worry about offending me, or insulting a subordinate. I *need* what's in there"
pointing at the Captain's head. "
And I can take whatever abuse you can hurl at me if it means I can get at it."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:46 pm

He sighs and squares his shoulders.

"
Your words shame me, apologies Master Daveth. Your suggestion caught me off guard and I hope you will not disregard this soldier's previous advice. I'm an old warrior, and traditional values are hard to shake."

"
Truth be told, Loreia is as good a choice or better than many of the other men. A fear of Coldbrook's military structure being corrupted by political signalling led me to lash out, apologies for the break down in discipline."

He speaks openly, but in a soldier's formal tones rather than confessionally.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Daveth relaxes and waves a dismissive hand. "
Probably the phrase that requires the most courage of any to say is 'I was wrong, sorry'. It's not like I haven't done the same or worse before, myself. So rest assured, I think no less of you.

"
I'm glad you think so highly of Loreia. That gives me more confidence in my decision. I meant what I said earlier, though, and I do understand your fear of politics' corruptive influence, so if you would like to suggest ideas that would help mitigate that, I'd certainly be willing to listen."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 pm

"
Beyond managing the guests, although I'll be the first to admit that I don't know whether it's best to invite those only of a certain political persuasion in the interest of a supportive audience, or to spread your net more widely to avoid accusations of bias or a rigged contest. Such is not my sphere."

"
Master Daveth,"
he salutes with a hand over his heart and makes ready to leave.

[/scene at Kieran Orell's end]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm

"
Captain Orell."
Daveth returns the salute. "
Thank you."

/scene
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down