Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only)

4 posters

Go down

[125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only) Empty [125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:34 pm

The blast of a horn in the courtyard heralded an arrival, and broke Corrine from her daydream. She quickly looked down at Bethany, cradled in her arms, worried the noise would start her crying, but it seemed that the littlest Marsten was still sound asleep.

Standing up carefully, still holding her baby, Corrine laid Bethany down in her crib, and left the nursery, making her way down to greet the new arrival.

When she saw it was Samurel, she smiled warmly;

"
Sam! Welcome back! How are you?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only) Empty Re: [125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only)

Post by Samurel Manderly Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Good Lady Marsten, though I do pray that the noise of this horn hasn't awoken anyone yet sleeping.

Samurel looked out into the court yard, examining it and realizing much has changed since he was last here.

I hear tell that much has happened as of late. As soon as word reached me I made preparations to return.

Samurel's clothing have a defined wear on them, much unlike his more courtly garb, his clothing made of rough fabrics and stained with salt and sand. his complexion significantly dirtier then memory would have.

Perhaps we should speak of the respective news in a more... private setting, is Kevan around? I imagine he'd much be interested in my arrival as well

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

[125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only) Empty Re: [125/8] Manderly's Return (Marstens only)

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Ser Kevan arrives shortly after his Liege Lady, coming from the barracks. He smiles as he recognizes the dirty traveller.

"
Sam! The lost Manderly has returned! How are you?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Lost but not forgotten it would seem! Essos has taken its toll on me, never was one for the heat!

Samurel starts dusting off his pants

quite a few things seem to have changed around here, knowing how the world works I suspect not all of them are good. We have much to discuss. I bring news from the Free cities. and a few gifts seeing as I was away.

Looking around, with hands on his hips, Samurel looks back and forth.

You must forgive, my time abroad has softened my memory

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Corrine laughs warmly;

"
Silly goose. You've been soaking too long in firewater, I'm sure. Let's go to the council chamber. I'll have some food and drink brought."

She has a word in a servant's ear, then leads him and Kevan to the council chamber, a sizeable room with a large round table dominating the centre, ringed in high-backed chairs. Corrine sits in the more ornate one, reserved for the Head of House.

"
This is my seat now, Sam. I have taken over from mother. You may now address me as "
my lady"
with twice as much reverence,"
she giggles.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:31 pm

I don't know how I feel about that, from Lady to My Lady, I'll try to not let it get in the way of the other hundreds of honorifics you have earned since I've left. Boar slayer, Ruler of the courts, Lady of Spring. among others The tone being quite humorous and familiar.

there is a breath of relief. then a more somber tone.

A lot has changed then, tell me, what news of your family, your house. I see the court yard is not what I remember it to be.

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Corrine chuckles softly at the honourifics.

"
Those are mostly exaggeration. But I am doing quite well for myself."

She sits up straighter in the chair, becoming more serious, though still clearly happy.

"
Well, a few months after you left, we attended a tourney at Riverrun. Kevan did fantastically, almost winning the joust, and actually winning the hand of Lady Sofia Blackwood, who has recently given him a son."

She grins at Kevan, then looks back at Samurel.

"
He also joined six other brave souls to free a young woman from the Faith Militant. For his bravery and wisdom, I have appointed Ser Kevan as my Keeper of the Gate. Under his able guidance, we have crushed the mountain clans. Our lands will be secure for generations, at least. We have been trying to integrate the surviving clansfolk into our own smallfolk communities. They willingly bent the knee when offered mercy, after our show of strength. It has not been without challenges, but we are adapting."

She folds her hands and smiles at the servant who comes in with a large jug of wine and a platter of bread, fruit, and cheese.

"
Mother was keen to match me up with someone. She practically threw Ser Baelon Waters at me. But, he is now married to my cousin, Gwyn. They have become a Coldbrook banner House, called Drakeson. So, Gwyn &
Baelon live at Caladan Hall now. At the tourney, I- you remember Ben Blackthorne? Ser Markus' former squire? We met again at the tourney, and, well, that went well, so I decided to marry him. Mother wasn't happy, but he's been winning her over. I'm sure he'll be pleased to see you again. We have a daughter now too, Bethany. She's nearly a month old. Once we get caught up and fed, I'll take you to see her, if you like."

She beams with joy and pride.

"
I took over from Mother after I got married. So, I am Lady Marsten now. There has been lots more, but I think those are the biggest changes. Kevan, did I miss anything crucial?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 am

"
I believe that was our last year in a nutshell. After the campaign against the mountain clans was resolved successfully we also had some problems with mercenaries coming back from the stepstones. But Lord Ben defeated them in battle."

He shortly pauses to reminisce avout the past year. "
After the Tourney was over we also had some additions to the household. Benjicot Blackwood is Lord Marsten's page and he also has a squire from House Royce."

OOC: I think you have the same profile picture as the Kitley player Jamys

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:04 am

[ooc: Yeah, you'll need to change that, Samurel. Sorry. Jamys Rivers is already using that face.]

"
Ah yes, of course. Benjicot Blackwood and Willum Royce are with us. Part of our marriage deals. They're fine boys, the pair of them."

Corrine looks to Samurel cheerfully.

"
So, what has your year been like? Was Essos good to you?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Samurel takes a moment to let everything sink in, having his eyes dead set on the center piece of the table. afterward his tone is a bit sad.

It's like I don't even know your home anymore, and most of the people with it.

looking up, Samurel changes his tone quickly to one of contentment

But it is seems it's been going better and better this past year. and to think, you're a mother now! A fact that hasn't changed your charm for the worse I see.

Samurel begins to take something our of his coat pocket, a large piece of parchment on it a map of the Free Cities, with several lines crisscrossing it and several names jotted down.

What news I bring from Essos is a bit somber, and a bit worrying in my few

Samurel begins outlining with his finger the path he took.

I got to Pentos as planned, with only a day behind in the plan. I hadn't anticipated how much I'd stand out in Pentos. I spent the first 2 weeks of my time watching the Pentoshi, and finding bits and pieces of garments to conceal my origin. Then I made my way southward to Myr. spent a single week in Myr, the Mercenary companies were roaming through the streets on a constant basis, a disturbance, an annoyance. and there was nothing to learn in Myr from what I could ascertain. Afterward I spent 4 months each in Lys and Tyrosh.

He rests his palm on the table, looking a bit as if he needed some steadying.

These are the problem cities, Myr is a force in the Triarchy but it's interest is fleeting, Tyrosh and Lys are pushing the Anti-Targaryen agenda. there is some good news, as unsavory as it might seem. The Triarchy isn't without weakness. There's been several power struggles within it, infighitng and machinations. Were the Triarchy to suffer a major loss, or be the target of a few choice assassinations, it would crumble under the strain. The biggest obstacle to either approach I found was a Lyseni by the name of Sharako Lohar. An admiral, and a powerful and popular one at that. He is a dangerous to Westeros, regardless who he sides with.

He rests his fingers on the north of Essos now.

Pentos and Braavos are another story, I spent my last few months there before I heard news to come back. Our issues are a source of market speculation in both these cities, with no strong inclination to stop or continue our worries. one thing of note though, is the presence of the Triarchy is significantly affecting Pentoshi actions towards Braavos and even Lorath. Pentos is attempting to establish another powerblock not unlike the Triarchy, and this too could be bad news. Though I suspect it could be used to our advantage.

Rolling up the parchment and replacing it in his coat, Samurel leans back in his seat.

I cannot tell how long I've feared I would not make it back to deliver my report. Essos is a dangerous place, I've even taken a habit of having this on me at all times

Revealing a Stiletto daggar in his coat.

Lady Marsten, if you ever visit there, I'd suggest bringing plenty of guards with you, I doubt someone as known as you are now would be able to hide well in the Free Cities.

[[ OOC: I see!, I didn't realize I had picked the same picture as he had, I have changed it promptly!]]

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Ben entered the chamber his brigandine covered in dirt and sweat, a seemingly regular routine now. He smiles his crooked grin as he moves to his seat.

"
Sorry I am late. Pud-Paul was looking for help with his sword work. Seems he has taken a liking to squiring with Ser Markus and wishes to impress the old man.

Ben looks at the map. "
Hello, Samurel. I hope I have not missed much. It's good to have you back."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Samurel looks at Benedict, a crocked smile aimed right back.

Shouldn't it be me that hopes I haven't missed much, Lord Marsten as it were.

With an open hand he gestures towards a seat

News from essos, The Triarchy, and a possible new powerblock, and a man, Sharako Lohor

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Corrine smiles warmly at her husband as he enters and sits down. She returns her attention to Samurel, though gives Ben's hand a surreptitious squeeze under the table.

"
Take all the time you need to adjust. Your rooms have been maintained in your absence. I insist that you have dinner with us all tonight. I'm sure we all have many more tales to tell. It sounds like Essos was eventful. I admit I've been curious about it all my life. We have sadly only had ill tidings from there of late. Edmund returned without finding my uncle Mikael. So, he is still presumed dead. Dyana &
Gwyn took it remarkably well, but it is one thing to lose a father, another to never be able to know."

She sighs sadly, then tries to shake the mood off;

"
But, let us not dwell on what is wrong with the world. I'll have the servants draw you a bath, and you have a few hours to get settled back in before dinner. Is there anything you'd like to ask me?"

Last edited by 151 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 pm

As Samurel mentioned the problems he encountered abroad, Kevan looked up:
"
Interesting tale, Samurel. This Sharako Lohar, do you know anything else about him? Is he currently working for the Triarchy or somebody else?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Hearing Kevan's words, Samurel turned to face him.

A high ranking admiral in Lys and in the Triarchy, a very popular and powerful man, and from a few rumors I heard, a very large proponent against any Targaryan rule, Legitimate or otherwise. A dangerous man for sure, someone to keep an eye on.

Samurel turns to Corrine, and closes his eyes.

I've forgotten what a bath was like, being too clean or too dirty brings much suspicion in the Free Cities... I'd Love a bath, and I do have but one question to ask of you.

He stands and bows his his heat, with a hand on his chest

How may I be of service to you Lady Corrine of House Marsten, I have been gone far too long and would like to be of assistance in anything you would ask of me.

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Corrine entwines her fingers thoughtfully;

"
I have an... unofficial position vacant on my council that I think you could fill. You are an astute and discreet man, and those skills would be ideal. We have much protection from known enemies, but less so from unknown ones. How would you like to be in charge of House Marsten's... internal security? Be my unseen eyes and ears. My chief Whisperer."

Last edited by 151 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Samurel keeps his head bowed and hand his chest, a feint smile appears on his face.

I will do this, and will begin promptly if you wish. I will root out whatever enemies this house holds. This I swear.

Lifting his head, Samurel Nods to both Ben and Kevan

I suspect that I won't be short of work. Should I know anything before I begin my... evaluations as it were. People and names you wish me to watch in particular?

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Corrine smiles and nods approvingly;

"
I am glad you're so keen. For my part, I'd like you just to spend a couple of weeks getting the general lay of the land. Establish a base of contacts. If you find you need some underlings, or money for bribes, come to me and we'll arrange it. I'd like you to keep an eye on the heads of the Guilds in Hartsbridge. They voted in a corrupt individual called Luke Seldon as Mayor, who had to be removed for his behaviour. I don't want that happening again."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Heading towards the door way, Samurel turns around

I'll set off early in the morning then. I suspect you will not see me go, I indeed on waking long before the sun has risen. Is there any travel plans for you all that I might take into account with my reports?

[[OOC: When is this conversation taking place in relation to the events of the Third day? I intend on showing up early on the Third day]]

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Samurel Manderly wrote:Heading towards the door way, Samurel turns around

I'll set off early in the morning then. I suspect you will not see me go, I indeed on waking long before the sun has risen. Is there any travel plans for you all that I might take into account with my reports?

[[OOC: When is this conversation taking place in relation to the events of the Third day? I intend on showing up early on the Third day]]

"
Very well, Sam. Thank you. I look forward to hearing your first report."

[ooc: This is 3 months before Story 2 begins. You could have stayed behind and extra couple of days to tie up loose ends.]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 am

[[OOC: Sounds good, I loose ends can be tied up between my various minor things, reader has stated that we'll be handling the ramifications of my actions in the off season after the end of Story 2]]

Thank you My Lady, and thank you all for having me back.

It's good to be home

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:58 am

"
And good to have you back. I have a feeling House Marsten will need every friend it can get, before too long."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down