Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed) Empty [D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Daveth wanted to personally check that the supplies he'd arranged to be distributed had reached their destination, and had had their desired effect - namely, a reduction in the desperation of the general populace. And what better way to make the ride pass quicker than by spending it travelling with the newly-arrived Lord Davain, whose house contributed much to the effort?

The man had impressed him when they'd met the previous year. Daveth was curious to see if he presented himself so well now his rule was no longer contested. So, he waited with a few bodyguards where they'd agreed to meet with the lord.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed) Empty Re: [D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed)

Post by Davain Bartheld Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:23 am

Lord Davain arrived with a few members of his personal guard. While his guards were heavily armed, Davain wore a simple black doublet embroidered with House Bartheld's crest upon his left breast. Lord Daveth it is a pleasure to see you again, but a shame it is under the shadow of this investigation. How have the month's treated House Coldbrook since we last met?
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

[D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed) Empty Re: [D6,EA]Renewing an Acquaintance (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Daveth gives a respectful bow from horseback. "
Lord Davain. A pleasure to see you as well. And since I didn't have the opportunity before, I offer my congratulations on solving your House's inheritance issue so smoothly."

He turns his horse and moves to begin a gentle ride together. "
Overall, I would say House Coldbrook is doing well. My increased prominence in the house has meant a freer hand to develop our sorely lacking industry and infrastructure. While we'll never be as rich as, say, House Dulver, we are well on our way to at least having a solid economy, which we can then use to reinforce our other weak areas. Slowly but surely, we're becoming a well-rounded House, rather than purely a martial one.

"
How about you? How fares House Bartheld in these times? You are surely right that this investigation casts a long, deep shadow over us all."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:39 am

"
House Batheld is in the same boat I'm afraid. For too long the lords of old have worried more about parties then making sure our lands are secured. Lucky my people are numerous and Nathanial has gain me quite a bit of gold. In few months our lack of martial ability will be corrected and we can be known for something more respectable than a good time. While my uncle is a good man, he does not hold our house in high regards, I just hope I can show him that I can make House Bartheld into something more."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Daveth nods, "
'Tis a difficult thing to change a house's ways. In many ways, I'm more fortunate than you - House Coldbrook was only formed in 111, meaning I have just fourteen years of tradition to go up against, and where I go against my ancestors, well, Lord Tomas Coldbrook is still around, and I can just *talk* to him, and persuade him to support my vision. You have it rather harder in your case.

"
Still, as you say, you do have your advantages as well, such as Nathaniel. Actually, if you don't mind, something I've been curious over: how *did* you meet him? He portrays himself as, well, not the kind of person who'd typically be given a lord's audience, and while the association has undoubtedly been a boon for you, you couldn't have known that going in, so I'm curious as to how it started."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:58 am

"
Nathaniel is a "
business man"
of sorts. He owns the Brothel on my lands. While I don’t necessary support that line of business, Nathaniel hasn't sworn his sword to me so I cannot tell him what to do. As for meeting my acquaintance, he started out small by gaining support for my lordship and since than his deeds have earned my trust and respect. What about you Lord Daveth? What advantages does House Coldbrook have to help them in such trying times?"
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Daveth nods. "
A gutsy move. Given his age, I imagine he wasn't running that place for long before he decided to start helping you, a prospect not without significant risks. I wonder what it takes to take control of a business so young, and to immediately use it to influence local politics. Not what you'd expect."
his tone is complimentary.

"
As for our advantages?"
he pauses. "
Unity. That's what I would say is our main one. Since our house is so young, our family is small, and we are tightly bound to each other, despite our ... eclectic backgrounds. And our banner house's lord and lady chose my offer to become such, rather than other attractive offers they were given at the same time. A very strong gesture of both friendship, and faith in our future. We have our problems, to be sure, but the fact that I can turn to any member of either house, and confidently place my trust in them means a lot to me. Given all you've been through, no doubt you could appreciate what a boon that is."

Daveth carries on for a few steps. "
I'd like to ask you something. I've spoken about this with Nathaniel before, so I know his rationale, but I'm curious about yours. Why *do* you support House Hightower in the current ... pesky business over the inheritance?"
his words are deliberately light, so as to not be too intense, but the curiosity is genuine.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:50 am

"
My support is not for House Hightower, but for Prince Aegon the older. To me it is a simple matter, the laws of men state that a daughter cannot inherit before a son. By supporting Princess Rhaenyra and her son I would find myself a hypocrite since my argument for being lord over my uncle was founded because I was the son of my grandfather's first son. While it might be true that Viserys named Rhaenyra his heir, he did so when he had no other sons to inherit the throne. If you don’t mind me asking, why so you support the Blacks?"

Last edited by 203 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 pm

[OOC: The following is assuming that your last question will be edited to 'Blacks']

Daveth shakes his head. "
I don't consider that hypocritical. It is no more hypocritical to accept that the Targaryens work to a different set of rules to us than to accept that we work to different rules than our smallfolk - it's part of the privileges of power. What *is* hypocritical is to hold the royal family to Andal standards when it comes to inheritance, but not say a word about marriage, specifically their custom of marrying close kin, for that violates Andal custom and law just as egregiously, if not worse, given that inheritance is considered a somewhat fluid affair, but marrying close kin, apart from in the royal family, is not."
he pauses a moment to let that sink in. "
But, of course, neither side benefits from attacking that, so it doesn't happen. They don't really care about the traditions, save where it's in their benefit - I'm sure that if tradition favoured the Blacks, they would champion 'tradition' just as vehemently as the Greens now do, who would themselves denounce it similarly."
he shakes his head. "
It's all just politics.

"
My reasons are relatively simple. King Viserys has been king for twenty-three years. And he's been a good king - we've been prosperous and peaceful,"
he looks around, "
well, mostly. Still, he is deserving of great respect, not just from his position, but from his acts. And he has made his preference clear. And -and this part is key- *he hasn't changed his mind*. He's not a fool, he can well see what's happened to his realm from his decision. Given how evenly-matched the powers are, he could likely end the conflict today if he wanted, by changing his chosen heir.

"
He hasn't."
Daveth lets that sink in for a moment before continuing. "
So, to be clear: the King, who is a wise man who knows his kingdom well, knows all the people well, and can see better than probably just about anyone that his choice risks a civil war, still feels that his choice is right.

"
I'll put that another way: the King believes that it is worth risking a *civil war* in order to prevent Prince Aegon from becoming King. That tells me everything I need to know. Tradition be hanged, I'm not supporting the next King Maegor. Or worse."

He shrugs. "
I mean, there are other reasons, but that's probably the biggest."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 am

[OOC: Sorry about that, the post has been edited.]

"
Funny you mention Maegor the Cruel. It was the breaking of Andal laws that saw Maegor sit the Iron Throne. It is the breaking of Andal laws and traditions that have caused the realm the bleed in the past. The only reason why the Targaryen could do as they like is because of their dragons. Not all the men in the realm can stand up to their dragons, but now. But now the people have dragons supporting them. Now we can force the Targaryen to stick to a code of standards. The Great Council form under King Jaehaerys himself even concluded that a woman, or a male decendant of a woman can't sit the Iron Throne. Now to call Aegon the next King Maegor is cruel. The boy is not even a man grown yet. To make such character claims is unfound. As for Viserys. If he truly wanted Rhaenyra to sit the throne than he would reaffirm his commitment to her as heir. If he was truly as understanding of the political situation as you say, then he would know that by reaffirming Rhaenyra then he could perhaps stem the violence.”
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Daveth seems to be enjoying the debate, tone cheerful, rather than being too hung up on 'winning'. He shakes his head. "
Breaking with tradition doesn't guarantee a bad outcome, nor does keeping with it guarantee a good one. We are both of us breaking the traditions of our houses for, we believe, our house's long-term gain, so you can surely agree that in some circumstances bucking with tradition is the right thing to do?"
with a smile. "
We simply disagree as to if the *current* circumstances warrant it.

"
Interesting how you view it. 'the people have dragons supporting them'."
he cocks his head. "
Do you really think so? Do you believe that, should the Greens win, by whatever means, and enforce Targaryens inherit according to Andal tradition, said dragons will continue and enforce that the Targaryens stop marrying their close kin?

"
Maybe my description of Prince Aegon is cruel. I've never met him. I am simply inferring from what I do know, quite possibly erroneously. But to call him not a man grown is hardly true. He is three years older than Prince Aemond, who is certainly man enough to give a very strong impression of the kind of man he is. And maybe, too, what kind of man his brother is. Growing up together, they no doubt rubbed off on each other."
he shrugs. "
Maybe Prince Aemond is the shy, retiring, soft-spoken one of the family."
his tone indicates that while he's trying to make a serious point, he's not being entirely serious in his suggestion.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:31 am

"
you perhaps have me bet there. There is no telling what will happen if the greens win. I would hope that Aegon would heed his subjects consol and end the Targaryen Tradition of marrying close kin, but men in power tend to do what they want and those clamoring for the return of Andal tradition might not receive the whole victory they desire. Enough about politics. The one thing I've learned is that individuals are stuck to there and would argue difference all day for the sake of being right. I was hoping to ask for you assistance with an expedition I am planning. I have come into possession of a map that alludes to a great treasure and artifact hidden in the Stepstones. The island in question is fortified so I am asking for troops to support me. My interest is only in the artifact and the other houses may split the treasure around themselves."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:25 pm

[OOC: The below has been confirmed by Reader before posting.]

Daveth nods at the change in subject, happy enough to leave it, and listens attentively. "
A map, eh?"
he nods. "
Hmm. My father fought in the Stepstones under Prince Daemon, you know? And he told me and my brother stories about his time there. You see, it turned out that one of the many, many tricks the Prince used was to forge and subtly distribute maps, letters, whatever he thought would work, that subtly promised riches and the like that just happened to be behind fortifications that would be difficult and/or costly to take. More often than not, this attracted ambitious and foolhardy mercenaries and freebooters who gathered to loot the place."
he shrugs. "
Sometimes there was wealth there, sometimes not. Either way, the Prince got an easy conquest afterwards.

"
So pardon me if I'm more than a little suspicious of the veracity of the claims you mention. Still,"
he gestures "
I'm open to being convinced that it's not a complete waste of time and lives."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 pm

[OOC: we can start intrigue if you like]

While the news that the map could be a possible fake would distraught most men, Davain remained passionate as ever about the legitimacy of the map. "
While that could prove quite true, both Maester Fourthwind and Nathaniel has assured me that it is genuine. I of course will gladly let you view the map yourself to see if it is indeed true. It is not here with me now, but I was planning on invite you and the other lords interested to Hart Home so they view the map themselves and for those that decided to come, to start planning and making the necessary preparations.”
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:45 am

[OOC: Not yet, this is still 'information gathering', rather than 'making a decision'.]

Daveth nods slowly at that. "
Alright, assuming they're right for now, I'll need more information."
he begins ticking points off on his fingers. "
What level of fortification is there? What forces are currently present? Who controls those forces, and what other forces do they have access to elsewhere? What allies do they have that they can call on? Do you have any idea as to how much there is in the way of riches there? Have any other houses already agreed to support you? Why is the artefact so important?"
he pauses for a moment, then shrugs. "
That will do for now.

"
Be aware that as it is partly a military decision, I do not hold sole approval - Ser Jorah is my father's proxy for military matters. Still, you need my agreement for the political side of things as well, so since we're here, we might as well see how that goes."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:15 pm

"
The treasure is located some distance from a small castle held by pirates. Their fleet is a mix between veteran and green warships [a unit of each]. The castle is guard by a few hundred foot soldiers [20 power worth]. The Pirates are under the command of Admiral Sharako Lohar's son. Rumor has it that he is a rash man that looking to move out of his father's shadow. Houses Longshore, Redwain, Dulver, and Drakeson have also shown interest. Longshore has already pledge ships, while Rewain is contingent on timing, he wishes to be wed before we leave. Dulver is likely, while Lord Baelon is skeptical like yourself. He wishes to have more information before he makes a decision. As for the treasure I am not sure what is there. Only what the map has detailed which is very vague. I hope to send a scouts down to the island so we can have accurate information before those committed to the expedition arrive."
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Daveth listens attentively, then chuckles somewhat at the end. "
Naturally, we have something of a conflict of interest. Your reward is constant, and the more houses you have in support, the lower the risk, but the more participants there are, the lower the reward for each participant. So, we have Bartheld, Longshore, Dulver, and Redwain already - in my observation, if he wills it, there'll be a way for a Lord to make it, so I'm counting them as well.

"
From the numbers you're giving me, it sounds like you've got sufficient forces to handle the land battle. At most, you'd want more ships to cut off any reinforcements, and House Coldbrook can't help you there."

He shakes his head. "
Plus, there is no cause beyond self-enrichment. I will not hesitate to order my men to their deaths if need be, but there needs to be a just reason. Our Riverroad Riders acted as mercenaries assisting House Dulver against Ser Benjen's Blackguards, yes, but the *cause* was defending the people of House Dulver from the predations of a fallen knight. This,"
gesturing vaguely in the air "
has no purpose beyond wealth. Useful, yes. But an unknown reward, split four or five ways, isn't useful *enough* for me to risk the lives of my men for."

[OOC: If you have a reasonable counter-argument IC, feel free to start an intrigue now.]
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down