Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed) Empty [D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:36 am

Like so many other time-sensitive matters, Corrine knew she had to act. She could not let the Dulvers' scheming go quietly unheard by their target. Their insulting attempt to get Green claws into her little cousin stirred a deep anger in her. She felt compelled to warn House Blackwood. She rode swiftly from The Warrior's Seat, hoping she was not too late.

Gods. My blessed Gods, old and new. Please let Ser Myles heed me. Help us to keep Benjicot safe. I cannot fail him.

She was quite out of breath upon her arrival, and Jory gave her a baleful look when she dismounted.

"
Sorry, boy. I will make it up to you later, I promise,"
she apologised quietly, patting his neck. "
You did well."

She was announced right away, and was led into the presence of Ser Myles.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed) Empty Re: [D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed)

Post by Reader Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Ser Myles Blackwood was not so uncouth, or foolish, as to deny Lady Marsten;
despite their inauspicious first meeting. Corrine's apology, Lord Marsten's character and the house's influence made turning her away imprudent and he was not an imprudent man, despite his misgivings about his guest.

Ser Myles stood and bowed as Lady Marsten entered.

"
My lady of Marsten."
Corrine now, not her mother.

"
Ser Colyn feared you killed your steed, such is the haste with which you arrive at Stone Hedge. I hope our unhappy valley has not beset you with fresh ills."

He gestures for servants to bring refreshments.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed) Empty Re: [D6, LA] On An Indecent Proposal (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:34 pm

Corrine curtsies graciously.

"
Your valley, though currently unhappy, was not a problem, Ser. My steed will be fine. A bag of apples, and he shall forgive my haste. I have to be in many places today, so I had not time to be leisurely. Thank you for admitting me swiftly."

Her polite and charming smile becomes tighter, as she accepts a cup of wine, and prepares to broach the subject in her mind.

"
Ser Myles, I had intended to come to you today to discuss tomorrow's peace treaty with yourself and Lord Benjicot, but another matter has arisen that I feel it prudent to address first. I have strong concerns about House Dulver in relation to Benjicot. Today, they approached my husband and I, asking for our support in their plan to push for Benjicot to be fostered by Lord Tully, and betrothed to Lady Kerry Bracken. They claimed it was to foster peace, but it is transparently grasping. I felt I should tell you of this as soon as possible. I am sure it does not require saying that such a plan would put Benjicot in danger. I did tell them, in so many words, to sling their collective hook, but if they have the gall to present their terrible idea to Ben &
I, then who knows what else they'll try."

She takes a quick sip of her drink.

"
I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Ser Myles does not react with panic or wild-eyed outraged, but nods in appreciation at Corrine's swift personal warning. Mayhap I have misjudged the girl, or mayhap she is at least a useful fool with a wise husband.

"
Ah the Dulvers. They are Westermen, and have a Lannister's taste for plots, although from this it seems that only Lord Harald Dulver has a Lannister's subtlety to complement an enthusiasm for intrigue."

"
Were a better mind behind this, I would suspect this outrageous proposal a smoke screen for their true goal. My counsel would chiefly be to ensure that this is not the case."

"
I trust from your warning this foolishness shall not come to pass. Lord Tully is as Green as summer grass, and the Dulvers and their leonine lords scare a paler shade. It would be a grim ascension for my line to assume Lordship of Raventree Hall by my nephew's execution on trumped up charges, should the Princess's party fail to bow to the Queen's demands. The King's banner was placed in Marsten hands - our families may not be tied by blood, but I know you for one who strives for justice."

"
By the old gods and the new, I beg you not to countenance this plot."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Corrine briefly waves a hand, dismissing the very notion.

"
No begging is required, Ser Myles. Lord Benjicot belongs with his family. I will not allow such a scheme to gain any ground. If they try to press you, remind them that Benjicot is a Lord now, and they have no power to shuffle him off anywhere he doesn't want to go, regardless of colour. There are plenty of other ways to build bridges, which don't involve throwing young, recently bereaved children into a nest of vipers. As much as it is House Marsten's will to be as even-handed as possible in the peace process, family is important to us, and as such, we will be ready to help and protect Lord Benjicot in any way we can."

[url=Charm][/url]: 6d6k5 18
[url=Attractive reroll][/url]: 2d6 6, 4
Total = 23
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:17 pm

"
Family, Duty, Honour are my liege's words, and they are worth remembering. I think you for your adherence to them, though Marsten's lightning bolt be sworn to another."

"
Ser Eoric Tully exemplifies these qualities from what I have seen, as does your Lord husband according to my young nephew. A young boy's words must be weighted accordingly, but the lad has a kind heart and moments of good sense."

A bold venture by Ser Myles' standards, associating Lord Tully's son with House Tully's words rather than the father.

An even rarer smile graces is lips.

"
It gladdens my heart that you will protect my nephew. May your House enjoy the wisdom of the Heavens that grace your banner in your task. I do not envy you it. This consideration was done to me, and I can but hope the Gods will allow me to repay it in kind at some point."

Ser Myles was not a man to encumber others with debts, or perhaps wise enough to consider his promises less influential than a true Lords.

[OOC: simple intrigue results - disposition improves one step, undoing the previous damage done by Corrine earlier in the investigation due to a combination of the roll and Corrine's warning to Ser Myles.

He owes Corrine a minor favour that you may call on in future.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:45 pm

"
I am glad that I was able to reassure you, Ser Myles. Thank you for your kind words. House Marsten greatly values family and honour. Between you and I, I think Lord Tully a poor exemplar of his House words."

Her tone is friendly, and her words on Lord Tully have a confidential edge to them.

"
On the matter of fostering peace, I would speak with you on yours and Lord Benjicot's wishes. While my fellow investigators &
I are charged with the treaty itself, I'd like to take both Houses' wishes for peace into account. What things, for House Blackwood, would be most crucial to resolution?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 am

"
Beyond my Lord nephew's safety? Our reputation."

"
Stores of coin can be replenished, grain too. Loss of life is tragic, but such is the way of war."

"
Reputation is the hardest thing to rebuild and we are cast adrift here in the South with few friends to call our own. A damning royal verdict will be thrown in our faces for generations, letting our neighbours in House Bracken, House Strong and beyond chip away at our lands."

He shakes his head at the thought.

"
Whatever is written will ring out in halls and disputes for years to come, our children's children shall hear this treaty across negotiating chambers and the lists."

"
A confident, friendly but not over mighty house Darry would not go amiss either. They have suffered much and more: their injuries are older than ours but deeper."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:39 am

Corrine nods slowly, listening intently.

"
It is well that you care so much for your House. Rest assured, I have no desire to see anyone unjustly humiliated. I personally feel that there has been enough vengeance over the millenia. While we have a duty to seek reasonable justice for the crimes committed, my aim is more towards trying to be fair. To achieve a framework to foster civility and peace. Harsh punishments all round would only breed more resentment, and I feel that Benjicot's dutiful, gentle young spirit makes this an ideal time for conciliatory action. He isn't indoctrinated in hatred yet. He should learn there is a better way, from you. Lord Bracken would be a happier man if he could shed the hatred he inherited."
she said, sorrowfully. "
We would all be better people if we could see eachother's humanity before all else."

Father's words coming out of my mouth...

"
Sadly, conflict is inevitable, but, we can reduce future damage by teaching the younger generations to address conflict with restraint &
civility. House Darry, I agree, will be important. Consideration for one's neighbours is both noble and fundamental to diplomacy."

She taps her chin thoughtfully.

"
I will take your words into account, Ser Myles. Thank you for your candour. If it would be agreeable to you, after things settle a bit here, and I've had some time back home with my family, I'd like to return, to see how things are going. With Benjicot, and with the peace process."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:33 pm

"
You will be most welcome my Lady of Marsten, Benji speaks fondly of you and your husband and would cherish a visit from one or both."

Ser Myles slips in the the diminutive, familiar term for his nephew.

"
Send a raven ahead and I'll see you greeted properly. I'll not have you near ride to death another steed for the sake of a social visit."
He smiles politely.

Perhaps he had misjudged the girl. Perhaps not. Still, another chance to come down on one side or the other was prudent.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:23 pm

"
Thank you, Ser Myles. I will do that. Ben &
I are very fond of Benji too. I hope it will be some small comfort that we have caught those responsible for the murder of his parents."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 pm

"
It will. He is still but a boy, though he has a good heart. Too good mayhap to see murderers escape free."

"
How will they fall? The Old Gods would prefer Lord Marsten to swing the sword for nobles and knights, although commoners can hang. I appreciate this matter is sensitive."

"
I would accompany my Lord to any execution, that he may see justice done. One day he will have to perform such duties by his own hand, it is our way."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:30 pm

"
We are in agreement there. It is my wish that they be executed, though I am required to seek consensus from my fellow investigators. There were two nobles of the five conspirators, though one is already dead. I will have to speak with the other investigators about who should swing the sword for him, though your request for my lord husband to carry out the act is noted. The other three are commoners, so they should swing for their crime. Fear not, Ser Myles. I will do all in my power to see that those who robbed Benji of his parents and his childhood pay with their own lives."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:34 pm

"
Excellent. A request only, as you say. I would not be so presumptuous to press further."

Ser Myles made polite conversation unless presented with further matter of importance.

[/scene, but an opening if we need to go back?]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:28 pm

[ooc: That's perfect. Thanks!]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down