Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6:ME]The nerve of war (Closed)

3 posters

Go down

[D6:ME]The nerve of war (Closed) Empty [D6:ME]The nerve of war (Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Gwyn and Baelon once again return to the ersatz seat of House Bracken, the aptly named Warrior's Seat. This time, however, there is no good cheer, no plea for the people. Instead, once in the now quite familiar study, Baelon immediately

"
Lord Haig, my friend, you have a problem, and it is named Pennytree. I am sure you know my now that some of your troops attacked a caravan of Dornish merchants. Not, as I understand it, on orders, but simply to line their own pockets in the chaos of war. We have a witness willing to testify to that, and if we discovered it, I am certain others did as well. You need to get out in front of this and punish those men as you would any other thieves - or worse, as their lack of discipline reflects upon you. I am certain you can determine a punishment that is appropriate. I can furnish you with a list of soldiers involved, if you need it. I fear that if you don't take swift action, other investigators may decide that you are protecting them, and thereby tacitly approving of, and thus punishable for, that crime."

"
More importantly, however, is the second attack on Pennytree. The later attack was clearly not for profit but rather was an attempt to hide the nature of the first attack;
obviously it failed spectacularly at that task. However, we know that it was not your troops that slaightered yur smallfolk and destroyed your property;
indeed, we have heard from multiple sources that the attackers were a collection of lesser knights from houses that one would normally suspect would back House Blackwood. That has led some to think that you may have hired sellswords more interested in profits than politics to try to hide the actions of your troops.... but that does not sound like the honorable Lord Haig Bracken that I have come to know. Still, if you were coerced or extorted into providing funds for such an operation... botched though it may have been... well, if you were open about that and willing to testify against whomever ineptly attacked your people, that would go a long way to showing that you are the wronged party, and not the perpetrator of the second attack, as some may believe."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D6:ME]The nerve of war (Closed) Empty Re: [D6:ME]The nerve of war (Closed)

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Gwyn nods at Baelon's words and adds, "
If there was someone who offered this attack to you, or pressured you into it, you owe him nothing for the service. It was done sloppily, and will make far more trouble for you than if it had stopped at the first attack. That in particular makes us think there's more to that second series of attacks than meets the eye. Tell us whatever you know, and we can perhaps help make the truth your ally in the matter."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:25 pm

Lord Haigh seemed disarmed in the presence of his firm friend Baelon and his beautiful lady wife. Daemon's bastard or not, the young Lord had never done him wrong and oft done well by him. Baelon's feats of arms only helped - Lord Bracken esteemed martial deeds, and Baelon was a melee champion and victor in many storied duels already.

"
Ill discipline is a tumour that must be cut out. I would have the oldest man lose a hand, to send a signal to the other but will be retained as a tutor and a warning to future men-at-arms. The others should be flogged by my thinking, with one in five handed to the watch: you would not leave me bereft of men with rapacious Blackwoods near at hand?"

Baelon's simple intrigue - [url=Persuasion(Charm)][/url]: 6d6+2 22 2#1d6 2 6

"
Ser Theomore has been an asset in seeing House Bracken was not tarnished by these pockets of ill-discipline that would strike at simple merchants. He is a good knight and true: I will testify he came to me and seemed keen to gather up the proceeds of the initial looting alongside me, but I beg you to confer with him before taking any rash steps."

"
Let any who claim I had some part in setting up black riders for such a raid say it to my face! I'll make them eat their insults in a duel! Your words are but the truth Lord Drakeson - all know that lord Bracken would not strike from the shadows in such a fashion! I had no part in this by pocket or planning."

[OOC: negotiated yield accepted given simple intrigue result and Lord Bracken's disposition]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:44 pm

"
I find your punishment suitable, though if I have my way you'll not need to worry about assaults by House Blackwood. As for Ser Theomore... well, what fate befalls him is out of my hands. Has his portion of the spoils been delivered to him? I would suggest that all such funds be devoted to rebuilding Pennytree, and given to support the families of those killed there. Ill gained wealth would tarnish your good name, I think, and with these proceedings underway that is a valuable commodity."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:21 am

Baelon wrote:"
I find your punishment suitable, though if I have my way you'll not need to worry about assaults by House Blackwood. As for Ser Theomore... well, what fate befalls him is out of my hands. Has his portion of the spoils been delivered to him? I would suggest that all such funds be devoted to rebuilding Pennytree, and given to support the families of those killed there. Ill gained wealth would tarnish your good name, I think, and with these proceedings underway that is a valuable commodity."

"
Our coffers are bare following your own Lord Daveth's plea for assistance and the Dornish treasures long since confiscated and given up to Ser Theomore to spare our House's good name."

Lord Bracken at least has the good grace to cough in shame here.

"
I will not be shamed in the eyes of a friend, or allow a temporary lack of dragons to prevent me easing the suffering at Pennytree. On my faith as a knight, I'll devote the winnings from my next seven tourneys to rebuilding Pennytree. A suitably holy number I hope. You've seen me in the lists and melee Lord Drakeson, surely you can understand the largesse this represents?"

[OOC: assuming Lord Haig can defeat at least 3 knights with Brigadine and coursers in each of the Seven tournaments, that adds up to roughly 200GD or 1 wealth]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:39 am

"
Your faith and your generosity do you credit. Additionally, I shall endeavor to see to it that the stolen goods, or coin of equivalent value, be reclaimed from Ser Theomore and similarly used to rebuild Pennytree."

[OOC: /scene on my end - and money being a fitting end given the reference in the title]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:46 am

"
Well said Lord Drakeson. For every man that lives down to his birth like that cur Athelstan we can but hope there is a knight exemplar such as yourself, although I fear the ratio may not be so favourable."

An uncouth reference to Baelon's bastard status, but well meant.

[OOC: /scene at his end, post any parting words from Gwyn/questions at her end.

Glad we ended up echoing our main man Cicero - "
What is this but to lavish on an enemy all the weapons for civil war? First of all, the sinews of war, infinite money, which he now lacks;
and secondly, cavalry, as much as he wishes."
]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down