Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back on the road ?

2 posters

Go down

Back on the road ? Empty Back on the road ?

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:23 am

Lord Redwain's tourney would normally have been the perfect opportunity to try and make some coin for Ser Alfred's traveling purse, however, he had arrived too late to participate and even if he had, participation would have been a boon and not the main reason for his appearance in the place. No, the truth was a lot more mundane and simple. So he had attended some of the competitions from the stands and while some people had possibly wondered why he wasn't participating and others likely had concluded he was too old for that, that mattered little to him personally. It gave him some opportunity to keep an eye out for the person he was looking for as well as observe the performances of some of the participants, like Lord Forrest Frey, Ser Jon Roxton, Ser Wyll Bracken or Perrin Haigh, but also other names he remembered from times back, like Ser Theomore Tullison, Ser Benedict Blackthorn, who was now Lord Marsten, although Ser Alfred still had some problems with thinking of him as such, and of course Lord Redwain himself, even if the new name was still taking time to catch on as well.

However, he was not here to dweel in the past overly, so once there was a suitable opening, he started pursuing his main goal, which led him over the tourney grounds until he was able to locate the nearest guard or Tullison retainer that he could identify as such, whom he asked that he would like a word with Ser Theomore Tullison. Due to his status as a non-combatant, he had dispensed with his armour today and was just wearing a rather plain courtier's garb with the Haigh coat of arms on his chest. Unless not permitted to do so, he was carrying his sword at his side, his hands clasped behind his back, as he was waiting to see what would come of his request.
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Back on the road ? Empty Re: Back on the road ?

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:46 pm

As luck would have it, Theomore had the opportunity to receive Ser Alfred at once, his pavilion only holding that which could be carried by the pack horse, though he was rather knowledgeable about making the most out of that limitation.

"
Ser Alfred, please come in."
Theomore wore the gambeson he used under his plate, though this one that he used at tourneys was ornate enough to serve to make him passably representative for his house, at least on the tourney grounds. Less so in a lord's halls. "
I fear I have little on hand to offer in terms of hospitality, I do not drink when jousting, but I could send for something if you wish."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Ser Alfred did as he was told and bowed slightly before the other knight.

"
Thank you for receiving me at such a short notice, Ser Theomore, and I don't want to take too much advantage of your hospitality, so I think there is no need for a drink, but I appreciate the offer, I can assure you."

He looked around the tent, not really to appraise its frugal content, but more to think about how best to adress the matter why he had come to see Theomore in the first place. He kept his hands clasped behind his back and his back straight.

"
As you undoubtedly have gathered, I have a matter I would like to discuss with you, Ser Theomore. Would you be able to spare some time to listen to it ?"
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:32 pm

"
Ah, in that case, do sit down, ser."
The squire must have done this many times before on account of the swiftness of his reaction in producing a collapsible stool, the speed of anticipation no doubt. Theomore himself made no notion of having any hurry, best allow his guest the comfort of no more pressure than seemed to already be upon him.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Ser Alfred thanked the squire and carefully sat down, resting his hands on his knees and straightening his back with a small popping sound.

"
As you will ahve heard, the Blackwoods and the Brackens have been ordered to reduce their banners after their latest conflict. Due to some issues arising between me and some members of the Blackwood family, I was among those whose services were no longer needed and who have consequently been dismissed from the service of House Blackwood. However, I have been pointed your way by some who hinted that House Tullison might be in a position where men who know how to wield a sword are sought after. Thus, I wondered if you would be willing and able to verify those allegations and perhaps put a word in for me with Lord Tullison."
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:25 pm

"
You are not misinformed, ser Alfred."
Theomore listens patiently as his old acquaintance explains. "
My lord nephew does indeed have room at his table for another sword."
And if Ser Myles was willing to let one of his most formidable ones go, that was either his loss and Mountain's Reach's fortune...or Ser Alfred had gone and done something he really should not have done, but with all the stones they had turned over not too long ago, odds of Theomore not having heard of it if that was the case was rather slim, even so, thoroughness was a deed. "
Though if you won't mind telling me, I should like to know more about these issues that made you leave."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:29 pm

"
It is a complicated situation. My brother-in-law and myself didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things, some of which weren't my concern, but others were. I accept that there are matters that are a husband's prerogative and that I am not to get involved with, but asking her to abandon the Seven in favour of the Old Gods was something I felt obliged to speak out against, both as my sister's older brother and as he sworn shield. I reckon the way I retorted did me few favours with some of the more pious Blackwoods, although I managed to stay in their employ, although I found I was inexplicably given an amount of room between my brother in law and myself most of the time. Both of us do what needs doing, but we don't carry a particular fondness for each other. One of the reasons I was among those no longer needed when they reduced their forces. In hindsight, I admit that it was probably somewhat of a difficult situation with me staying there as long as I did and sort of getting me further away from my sister was the only sensible thing even before I was dismissed from service, but you know how it is, Ser Theomore... In the end, the family is all we have."
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:43 pm

"
Quite so, Ser Alfred, though there is also home."
Theomore agrees mostly, though home and family tends to be at the same place so that would be more of a question for the philosophically inclined. At any rate, as far as his recollection went, his brother in law was not the most influential of Blackwoods, a landed knight's daughter did not make for the sort of an alliance that Lord Blackwood would approve for his closer kin. "
From what I observed at Riverrun last year, you have not lost your touch with the lance since last I remember, and so the only thing that might prevent me from recommending to my lord nephew that you would be fine knight to offer a place at his table would be any unresolved issues with Raventree."
And truth be told, Dunstan could use someone wizened by age around him anyway. "
I suspect that he would act upon my hunch that there is no such thing and swear you to his service. I on the other hand would prefer to make doubly sure, but it does not look like anyone from House Blackwood made the journey here, gods knows they have enough to occupy them as it is."
Hopefully, or else that business between the Furious Frey and Lady Sofia remained a sore spot, another thing worth finding out.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:51 pm

"
I would hope so. After all, that touch is one of the things I need most, so it pays to keep that up."
Quite literally even in his profession. There were enough people who had been too good too soon and Ser Alfred liked to not count himself among those. For him, being a knight worth his salt required rigorous training. As Ser Theomore brought up Raventree, he frowned and thought about that for a minute. "
The closest thing I would consider unresolved business is the relationship with my brother-in-law, but then, thats a thing we got resolved with getting out of each other's hair quite nicely."
As if to stress the point, he scratched his mostly bald head. "
I have also been a Vracken prisoner for some time, which might make some Blackwoods doubt my sincerity to their cause, but unless Im underestimating the grievances I may have caused or forgo0tten things, I don't think I have left too many grudges in that family. If you want to make doubly sure, you arre welcome to do so and I will assist with that where I can, if necessary."
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:31 am

There is no reason not to trust his words on this, was it? Theomore is no stranger to dishonesty, and this one has none of it. "
On second thought, Ser Alfred, I think we might as well dispense with the double insurance."
Theomore concludes, gaining this man's service would be too beneficial to pass up unless the issues were more than minor, and they couldn't be. Why risk Ser Myles indicating that he would prefer them not to swear him to their table when it was easier to obtain forgiveness than blessing, and on the off chance that he had objections? "
Should Ser Myles disapprove, well, gods knows I have talked myself through more dire situations than so and come out victorious. Besides, my lord nephew is inclined to answer Prince Aemond's call to arms against House Wyl, most of our lancers are on the young side, someone that can help prepare them for what a real war looks like would be a welcome addition, ser."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:23 pm

"
I will not forget your trust, Ser Theomore, and hope I will be able to prove worthy of it."

He contemplates the information Theomore gave him. He is not too aware of the precise details about how things generally are between the Dornish and the Iron Throne at the moment, he knows enough to know that moving out against House Wyl would not be an easy task with the Boneway and the local terrain and all the other factors that figure in. However, easy tasks brought enough issues of their own, so having things not appear too easy was a good thing. At this stage, he was of course in no position to judge that, but then, that wasn't expected of him either.

"
I will gladly do that, Ser Theomore."
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:32 pm

"
Then I believe it is time for an introduction to my lord nephew"
Theomore announces with a smile and a gesture for them to move in the direction of his pavilion. The difficult part dealt with, Ser Alfred would be a fine addition to the Household of Mountain's Reach, but he should mention it casually the next time he met Ser Myles, just to be sure that there would be no complications. Someone would need to take on the role of discreetly handling such matters when he himself were to establish a household on it's own. But The Tower of Falling Stars weren't farther away than that he might be able to assist if it was important.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down