Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open) Empty D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open)

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Ser Jorah waited in the Coldbrook area for Daveth. It was time for his daily martial training at the behest of Lord Coldbrook. It was normally a waste of time, but he was thinking of new lessons. Their environs and the presence of so many gave him an idea.

Last edited by 105 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open) Empty Re: D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Daveth was at least punctual. Not out of any sense of enthusiasm, but rather out of respect. While he had absolutely no desire to take the lesson, if Ser Jorah was making time for it, it would have been rude to keep him waiting.

This does not mean, however, that he did not come prepared.

"
Ser Jorah."
Daveth gives him a deep nod of respect. "
I was hoping for your input on what I should be focusing my attention on during the tournament. Obviously, I will not be impressing anyone with my martial prowess, however well today goes, but there are other ways I can help my family. I was wondering what your opinion was as to the best ones."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open) Empty Re: D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open)

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:56 am

The dark, gigantic Ironborn is passing in the area, non-curant of his sorroundings when his eyes seem to have been catched by the odd training happening.

Leifnarr Longshore stops and observes the scene.

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open) Empty Re: D1 Mid Afternoon - Martial Training (open)

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:37 pm

Ser Jorah raised an eyebrow at Daveth's question.

"
Something strikes me that a smart young man such as yourself would already have many ideas on such a matter. However, it is a relevant question considering today's lesson."
Ser Jorah had an odd smile on his face.

Normal training would involve the use of longswords and other such weaponry, but today, they were strangely absent.

He noticed the giant Longshore man on the edge of their encampment area

"
Curious,"
he said, keeping an eye on him. He didn't trust Ironborn and the giant of House Longshore was no exception.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Ser Jorah's words and manner rang alarm bells in Daveth's mind. What is he up to? He's not expecting me to brawl, is he? "
Oh, I always have many ideas, Ser Jorah. But it's always worth gaining advice and perspective before embarking on anything of significance."
And it's always worth misrepresenting your interests to other houses.

Don't ask. Don't ask. Don't ask. It's a trap. You *know* it's a trap. For once in your life, stop letting your curiosity drive to you to stupidity.

"
So, how is the question relevant to today's lesson?"

Idiot.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Ser Jorah knew Daveth's curiosity would get the better of him, though he did note Daveth seemed uneasy.

"
Todays lesson is about using your mind as a weapon. In a place such as this, steel can only help so much. It is how you use this and this,"
he tapped his temple to indicate the mind and his chest to indicate his heart, "
that is the most important. You must remain in control and understand what is going on around you to act appropriately."

"
For instance, imagine I am Ser Theomore Tullison stood before you suddenly at the banquet or in the market. Neither of you were expecting to see each other. How would you react?"
He was testing the young man to see what he would do. Joren's death had hit him hard, as it had to all of them, but with the precarious position of the House, he already had one reckless heir to deal with;
both would be a serious problem.

ooc

[url=awareness on Daveth][/url]: 3d6k3 10 to see if he is affected by the statement

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:26 pm

(ooc: I'm assuming that's against the same difficulty as Read target, in which case, I'm sorry, difficulty 16.)

"
Market or banquet? So, to confirm, I would either have my bodyguard, or there would be neutral guards nearby, and there would be witnesses?"
Else the answer to how I would react would probably involve gasping for breath, clutching a lethal wound somewhere.

Rather than give a spurious answer, Daveth pauses, and closes his eyes, picturing the scene. First, a busy market, lots of people, lots of noise. Then, Ser Theomore, appearing as he has become in Daveth's mind - over 7 foot tall, with jutting, sharp, disorganised teeth;
a massive bulbous nose;
squinting, piggy yellow eyes;
wild, unkept hair;
disproportionately long arms;
ragged and torn clothes;
and a massive club with a nail stuck through it casually slung over his shoulder.

Okay, yes, I know he doesn't really look like that. Call it wish fulfilment that the rot inside him would make itself physically manifest, like with a dwarf. Still... and Daveth imagines what he'd do under these circumstances.

Well, the first thing I'd do is draw my knife and lunge at him, cut his club arm off with a single blow, then plant my dagger in his gut and use it as a stepping stone to jump up to his head, pop out his eyes, rip out his tongue, rip, tear, stab[size=150:2eywj0j4]stab[size=200:2eywj0j4]stabSTAB!

...Okay, and back in the hopefully less-disturbing real world, where *Joran* could regularly beat you at sparring without breaking a sweat, what will you *actually* be doing?

Well, what I'll do is denounce him for his crimes! Bring forth evidence and witnesses! Orate to the crowd of his perfidiousness and wickedness, depriving the world of such a light, until there's not a dry eye in the market, and the whole city calls for his blood! Instead, he will be sent to the Wall, where he will swiftly desert to make his way to the Others, who he feels more kinship with than with humans and their non-child-killing ways.

A fine plan. Only you *have* no evidence;
your witnesses would never stand up in court, since you *paid* them to testify;
you have no leads, and no idea of how to get more;
and you and your house have no allies, and no credibility. Also, you're not that good an orator. All that will accomplish is getting challenged for insulting him. At best.

Well then. What I'll do is

Daveth opens his eyes, a mere heartbeat after he closed them, his face remaining tranquil throughout. "
What I'll do is simply carry on. No eye contact, no words spoken, not giving way, but not trying to make him give way, either. He is an unperson. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't exist."
at least until I'm ready for him. "
If he absolutely forces the issue, I will speak to him as if each word is an unearned gift - giving as little as possible."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:51 pm

"
Hmmm,"
his face was inscrutable, as if he couldn't quite get a read on Daveth.

"
And what would you do if faced with the gentleman sat over there?"
he pointed at Leifnarr, not explaining whom he is.

ooc
If you are going to sit there, I might as well involve you a little.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:13 pm

Daveth looks over at the mountain of a man. What are you up to, Ser Jorah? "
Honestly, my first reaction would probably be simply to carry on about my business;
I don't know the man. But if I was feeling impetuous, I might introduce myself. He looks like a skilled combatant, and father certainly never feels like he has enough of them. If he's unaffiliated with any house, or if he's unhappy and looking for a new home, it might be worth getting the relationship started up early."
a momentary pause. "
Depending on what house he would be leaving. Always have to remember the political consequences of what could be seen as poaching."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Ser Jorah laughed.

"
That man you just tried to recruit is Leifnarr Longshore, the younger brother of Lord Ferris Longshore. You would have most likely offended him trying to recruit to House Coldbrook."

He turned and pointed at the Marsten encampment in the distance "
Friends or Foe?"
he asked

then in turn to House Bartheld and to several other minor houses camped nearby. "
Are they friends or are they enemies? Can you afford not to know the answer to that question?"

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:48 pm

The gigantic Ironborn's icy posture breaks up in a rough laugh as he hears Ser Jorah's words about him.
His face suddenly turns back to the usual overly cold and inexpressive mood, with his usual sinister and intimidating eyes.

However, the smiling mouth and raised hand of the colossus seems to tell a different story as he says:
"
I'm sorry to have bothered you with my presence!"

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Daveth gives Ser Jorah a look of muted pain, and whispers his answer so the Ironborn can't hear. "
We're house Coldbrook. We don't have friends. We have people who fear us, and people who haven't heard of us. We may form bonds with individuals, but our houses will never be friends until there's shared blood, meaning marriages, which we don't have, and can't have until the inheritance is settled. So what are they?"
pointing around. "
Opportunity, at a cost. How much opportunity at what cost is what I intend to try and find out at this tourney. Speaking of."

Daveth returns the greeting Leifnarr gave, at a louder volume, and takes a few steps closer. "
No apologies necessary, Leifnarr Longshore, we're always happy to meet new people. I am Master Daveth Coldbrook. What brings you to our camp? Seek you something specific, or is it merely a friendly wind that blows you this way?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 pm

The rough Ironbon seems sincerously interested in Daveth's whispers, spelled in such a way that were so obviously hearable by the big man.
Leifnarr looks like a beastly reaver, whose appearance suggest an habit of cruelty and violence, but his voice seems calm and even sincerely kind, for how odd it could seem with this Ironborn.

"
It seems that you know my name, Master Coldbrok, and possibly you know also my role in the Longshore delegation.
I think we never met before.
I was wandering around, on my way to my tent, and just got curious, after hearing you and this knight speaking.

I was firstly interested in your odd training, but then the I heard something else.
It looks like inheritance is a problem not just for us, the only Ironborn house of the Riverlands ... but I thank the Drowned God for being only a second born.
What I have, I've earned by my hands, not by my blood, and I'm proud of it.

However, If I have interrupted your training, ignore me. I do not want to stop you with my stories."

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Crap. He heard my whispering from all the way over there? Got to watch that.

"
You are correct, we haven't met before. However, your formidable reputation precedes you."
Now that I can put a name to your face, anyway. "
Though I do not know your role in the Longshore delegation, I would imagine it's an important one. One would not hide away such a reminder as to why the Ironborn are so feared where no-one will see.

"
I am curious, however. If it not a private matter, what ails House Longshore in your inheritance?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 pm

OOC NOTE:
sorry, it looks i'm an idiot, it looks like I read "
whispers his answer so the Ironborn can't hear"
as "
can hear"

It's that I'm really busy in this period in real life...so I read quick and answer quick (sorry if this is the second time that I misunderstand...), and this is not even my first language (I'm Italian).

Last edited by 135 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:30 pm

"
I'm delegation head, but just for this tourney, and even if the firstborn of my older brother and lord is here.
To be true, we have a rightful heir, but all of us forgot about him until very recently, so ... let say that now that we got him again with us, things are quickly evolving, and maybe for the better.
And regarding why we are feared..."

At this point the Ironborn eyes take a sinister and cold appearance as he continues:

"
...you maybe fear other Ironborn.
The last Longshore to raid in Riverlands was sometimes ago...
Although I'm not a sleepy greenlander, but certainly I paid my Iron price elsewhere, in more fruitful and interesting regions."

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Now the heir is again with us? Forgot about him? Is he talking about *Yoren*?! What are the chances two Longshores spent a long period away? But ... *Yoren*, the heir of the Longshores? Strange times indeed, if true.

Daveth raises his arms placatingly. "
Peace, Leifnarr Longshore. We all have ambitious neighbours. Some maintain their territory through a web of alliances. Others through an implicit promise of dire vengeance should they try. Believe me, as one martial house to another, that I mean absolutely no insult by my words. Indeed, fear, intelligently wielded, is one of the most useful weapons in a Lord's arsenal. That you maintain the fear without provoking the anger that might overcome it is evidence enough of how well you wield it.

"
Still, you are quickly evolving, you say? This heir of yours must be a truly formidable individual to so quickly effect so rapid a change."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am

Loreia can hear the booming laughter on her way to the practice clearing the Coldbrooks had made for themselves. She imagines Jorah is trying to get Daveth ready for the melee. As she gets near enough to catch Jorah's eye, with her dog not far behind, she shakes her head. Despite her kinship with Daveth, she can't see why Jorah puts in the time.

She is about to holler out to them when she notices a large figure looming on the far side of the clearing, behind Daveth and Jorah. After a delayed reaction, Loreia crosses from her side of the field and into the radius halfway. She scarcely makes effort to avert her gaze at the Ironborn, scowling as her hand comes to rest on her crossguard. In her eyes, he is welcome in their pavilion(s) for as long as need be.

"
Master Daveth, Ser Jorah,"
she greets, humoring formality in the absence of her casual attitude. "
Who's this?"
It's obvious she doesn't care.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 am

Godsdamnit, Loreia! You're going to blow everything up just as I was getting somewhere.

"
Loreia. This gentleman's"
using the word without a trace of irony "
name is Liefnarr, visiting us out of curiosity. Still, I'm glad I caught you. Captain Orell was looking for you earlier."
pointing in a direction he could vaguely plausibly be. "
Don't know the details, but he looked a little worked up about it, so I said I'd send you along if I saw you."

Sure, I'm protecting Loreia from making a dangerous enemy, as well as protecting our house from another potential feud. All of that doesn't change the fact I just lied to the face of one of my best friends.

I don't know, and probably never will, whether I'll make a good lord. But times like this make clear, I'm a bit of a shit of a human being.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm

"
Yeah, in a moment,"
she replies absently, fixating on her flaring contempt - which is clearly evident to Daveth, toward whom she faces and vents. "
'Curious'? Is that all? Their type should have better reason for pokin' about. Elsewise, I wouldn't suffer him to breathe the same air."

Although appearing willful, a furtive glance in Jorah's direction gives away concern that he may pull rank to make her walk.

[url=Awareness(Empathy) vs Daveth][/url]: 4d6k3 5
*Whelp, I lost. Not even gonna ask. This test was for the lie he just told me.*
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

"
perhaps you are correct Master Leifnarr, I thought that perhaps you were part of another crew that I have previously driven back to the Drowned God,"
Ser Jorah responded, interested in Daveth's attempts to court the friendship Liefnarr."
Still, I heard of the return of two of House Longshore's scions, so hence why i knew whom you were. Your size makes you an obvious person to identify."

Then Loreia

"
Yeah, in a moment,"
she replies absently, fixating on her flaring contempt - which is clearly evident to Daveth, toward whom she faces and vents. "
'Curious'? Is that all? Their type should have better reason for pokin' about. Elsewise, I wouldn't suffer him to breathe the same air."

Although appearing willful, a furtive glance in Jorah's direction gives away concern that he may pull rank to make her walk.

"
Guardsman Loreia, I believe Captain Orell was after you. If he isn't still requiring you, Garrett was seen going in that direction,"
he pointed in a direction, that also happened to be the same direction as House Tullison,

ooc

[url=Awareness Empathy on Daveth][/url]: 3d6k3 9

Not much better, so Ser Jorah will believe Daveth. Sorry Loreia

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:17 pm

"
At once, Ser.
"
Loreia enunciates each word firmly and turns her scowl upon Leifnarr again before marching off to find the Coldbrook guard captain. The dog, whose hackles were up the moment her tone turned bitter, paces slowly until it too leaves the field proper, scampering off to reach its master.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Loreia Merrgal wrote:"
Yeah, in a moment,"

As the insulting presence of Loreia interrupts the dialogue with Daveth, Leifnarr's eyes seem to show some odd kind of happiness, like if he was waiting for something similar to happen....
...but the coldness which comes back in his gaze demonstrates a certain degree of discipline in keeping emotions at bay.
Simply ignoring the woman, but with a demeanor that seems to tell "
I will remember about it at the proper time,"
Leifnarr speaks:

"
Master Daveth,
in peace i came, and in peace I can go.
If my presence is of trouble for you, let's stop speaking with me.
You told me about the importance of emanating Fear but.... as a friendly advise to a younger man,I tell you to be careful about how you appear to outsiders like me.
It tells a lot about a house, if the son of a lord must explain to a lowly guard about why he wants to speak to somebody."

Ser Jorah Holt wrote:"
perhaps you are correct Master Leifnarr, I thought that perhaps you were part of another crew that I have previously driven back to the Drowned God,"
Ser Jorah responded, interested in Daveth's attempts to court the friendship Liefnarr."
Still, I heard of the return of two of House Longshore's scions, so hence why i knew whom you were. Your size makes you an obvious person to identify."

Looking at Ser Jorah, the Ironborn says:

"
There is not problem, sir, and I'm thankful for your courtesy, although I do not know your name, even if you seem to know mine.
However, I cannot ignore the reasons about why your people hate us.
Facts are facts, and I do not want to deny my people's deed.

Then, turning slightly towards Daveth, the Longshore warrior says:
"
Be careful, young Coldbrook, you cannot imagine how similar can be our problems.
We are the only Ironborn, and you are the only Northmen of the Riverlands.
The first impression you give to strangers can be very important ...
... and that girl there has just demonstrated that your discourse about forgetting the power of Fear is not a concern of my house.

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Gods damnit, Loreia! I was just about to potentially learn something useful! There's no going back to the subject now. All I can do now is hope our ignorance doesn't cost our house too dear. He mentally sighs, cursing his ill-fortune. Getting upset with a Bear Islander for hating Ironborn was like getting upset with water for being wet.

"
Your advice, and the spirit it was meant in is noted, Leifnarr Longshore,"
both the overt and the covert "
though I would advise, in reciprocal friendship, against inferring too much about the House from the actions of its youngest member."
His tone and manner are polite and attentive. And that's the best I can do to limit the damage this debacle caused.

"
Still, for all that I was finding our conversation interesting, it would seem that at least this is neither the appropriate time nor place for us to continue. So, as you offer, I will bid you a good day, and return to my lesson."

Still...Leifnarr Longshore. A name to remember.

(OOC: for the sake of speed, I'm assuming that whatever Leifnarr says doesn't affect our ending of the conversation, and carrying on.)

Once he is confident that both Loreia and Leifnarr have left, Daveth turns to Ser Jorah, and asks, in a serious, yet curious, tone, while glancing in the direction Loreia left. "
Ser Jorah? Can a Lord have friends? Not trusted retainers who he treats well, not fellow lords bound to his house through marriage, but actual genuine friends?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:28 pm

OOC:I suppose we must conclude Da1 threads as soon as possible, so if Ser Jorah has nothing to say and leaves as Daveth did, I put the following.

IC:
"
If you do not have anything else to speak about, I go. Have a good day."

With a smile on his face Leifnarr leaves the place.

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next