Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open) Empty [Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open)

Post by  Tue May 05, 2015 3:08 am

A slight wind kicked up along the muddy track leading to the Riverrun tourney pavilions. Tiny pools of water rippled in the ruts and hoof-prints that led this way and that through the tents of the various houses that had assembled. The banners of houses both great and small were all present, their flags fluttering in the air, and in its third day there was still a definite energy and bustle in the air. Edmund Lyras, dressed inconspicuously in simple travelers garb rode atop a chestnut palfrey. Padding quietly beside him, darting in and out among the crowds of people and animals was Edmund's dog, Leo. The mutt's coat was matted with mud from their swift and short journey after departing just before sunrise from the Inn of the Kneeling Man. Thankfully the light rains had done very little to slow Edmund down and they had made good time.

His eyes scanned the banners surrounding the various tents for the familiar lightning bolt argent of House Marsten. He was surprised to also find himself searching for any familiar faces. He had spent the last four years across the Narrow Sea, almost never thinking about home, family, and friends. Yet, now that he was drawing closer to those that he held dear, he was uncharacteristically eager. However, as his gaze shifted towards his companion, that eagerness melted a bit and was tempered by the knowledge that he brought no good tidings with him, his mission a failure. He and his companion, Laryen Rivers, a sworn sword of House Marsten had been tasked with finding Mikael Marsten, the last male Marsten in line to become Lord of their House. After years of searching, they had finally decided to return, empty-handed.

It did not take long to find the pavilion of House Marsten. Edmund and his companion eased their way through the crowds, dismounted and tied off their horses. Without a word, they gave each other a grim look of resignation. He turned and quietly instructed Leo, "
Stay here. No wandering."
With a soft whimper the dog turned and found a patch of dry grass, shook himself clean as best he could and lay down, content to wait.

With that, Edmund turned. straightened himself and spoke to the guards at the door of Lady Isobel's pavillion.

"
Edmund Lyras and Laryen Rivers seek audience with Lady Martsen."

Last edited by 1 on Sun May 10, 2015 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

[Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open) Empty Re: [Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open)

Post by Reader Tue May 05, 2015 7:16 pm

"
By the Seven, surely not?!"
Edmund is greeted by Lachlan, a fortuitously familiar face, for he is one of house Lyra's own guardsman, who appears to be sporting a bandage on his left hand. "
I thought you'd vanished like some scuttling snark or great grumpkin!"

"
I'll announce you post haste, I fear you'll need to find a new harpist to compose the ballad of your adventures."

He waves his bandaged hand at Edmund, before speaking more quietly.

"
Two of you were we had hoped for three, Lady Marsten may take the news hard."

He slams his halberd in to the ground, loudly announcing the new arrivals.

Inside, Lady Isobel Marsten waited, her hair more silver than the dark blonde at Edmund's departure, but still a striking figure despite the trials of the last few years.

"
Our heart is gladdened that you are returned to us. What word from across the Narrow Sea?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open) Empty Re: [Day 3, Mid Afternoon] Arrival (Open)

Post by  Thu May 07, 2015 1:28 am

"
Lachlan."
replies Edmund with a warm smile and a nod as he approaches the man, taking him by the shoulder in a friendly embrace.

"
It has been too long."
Glancing down at the man's hand, he raises an eyebrow inquisitively. "
It seems we may both have some tales to tell."

His face grows more serious as he sets his mind on his duty, "
But, later. I have news for Lady Isobel."
Edmund sighs heavily, confirming to Lachlan that it is not good news. He glances back at Ser Laryen and motions towards the entrance to the tent and, moving past the twin banners of House Marsten on either side of the door, they enter.

The interior is well lit and very warm and welcoming. Inside, the pavilion is large and tastefully furnished: mattresses and sleeping furs that looked more comfortable than anything Edmund had slept on in years, braziers and low slung leather chairs, a writing table with quills and ink pot and scattered around, almost decoratively, were various bowls filled with peaches, plums, and pears and flagons of wine with fine silver cups. Beautifully woven tapestries adorned the walls artfully, each with the Marsten crest in its center.

Approaching Lady Isobel, both Edmund and Ser Laryen bowed and dropped to one knee in a formal posture with their heads bowed. The words Edmund had been rehearsing for weeks filtered through his mind as Lady Isobel greets them calmly.

"
My Lady Marsten,"
he began. "
Thank you for your kind words, it is good to be back among House Marsten after so long abroad."

He paused briefly, then continued, "
But, I regret that I must inform you that we were unable to locate Lord Corbin's brother, Mikael."

Lady Marsten's face was unreadable, placid and calm like the waters of the God's Eye. Edmund however, could not hide his frustration as his brow wrinkled and his voice betrayed a tone of weariness.

"
From our correspondence, my Lady is aware of how extensively we traveled, the width and breadth of our search across the Narrow Sea,"
he said shaking his head slightly. "
We followed rumor, and rumors of rumors from Braavos to Myr and..."
, he finally looked up, his eyes searching, "
I am sorry, my Lady. We -, "
he corrected himself, "
I have failed you."

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 pm

"
Rise Edmund. One cannot fail if one searches for what is not there. Your travels were extensive, the only failure would have been not to try, or to lose spirit and return after a cursory seach."

"
Without your efforts, House Marsten would never had the chance to grieve properly. You have my thanks and that of the whole house. Joy at your return will be tempered by mourning Mikael, but at least now we are free to mourn."

"
Once more, House Lyras has proved its loyalty and competence. With a servant such as you having exhausted all options, none can doubt Mikael is lost to us."

[OOC: Awareness (empathy) TN 12 to read her reaction)
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu May 07, 2015 6:26 pm

As he rises with a nod of acknowledgement, he takes comfort in Lady Isobel's words and he closely studies her face and body language for confirmation.

[url=Read Lady Isobel][/url]: 5d6k4 21 2 DoS

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 pm

[OOC: handled via PM]

"
You must be tired - I shall have the servants provide refreshments and ensure you have a comfortable bed. Our returning hero deserves no less."

Lady Isobel rises to depart while servants hurry to provide food and drink as instructed.

[/scene after any parting words from Edmund, apologies for brevity given your excellent posts but moving to day 4 soon]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu May 07, 2015 7:27 pm

"
Thank you, my Lady Isobel."
he said bowing his head as she departed.

Letting out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding, he turns to Ser Laryen, "
Take comfort in the food and rest, Ser. I shall seek the same shortly, but first, I need to find the Ladies Gwyneth and Dyana."

"
I doubt they shall take the news so well."
he thinks, a frown crossing his face. With that, he turns and exits the tent.

[OOC: No worries! Day 4! Woo hoo!]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down