Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day 2 Late Morning: Gift Giving

+2
Theomore Tullison
Reader
6 posters

Go down

Day 2 Late Morning: Gift Giving Empty Day 2 Late Morning: Gift Giving

Post by Reader Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Gift Giving
Before departing, each of your houses received two messages by raven, suspiciously close to one another.
Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra are both delighted to offer the chance for those present to reaffirm their loyalty to the throne and present an appropriate gift, presenting Riverrun's guests with a dangerous quandary.

Participants: One member per house. Each house is assumed to have prepared an appropriate gift ahead of the tournament.

Challenges:
Language (9) - +1 to both of the following rolls for each DoS. Choosing the right words is important in court!
Status (Breeding or Reputation) or Awareness (Empathy) (12)
Persuasion/Deception (any speciality, but there may be consequences to certain choices) (12)
Describe your gift and why it is signifcant

Consequences:
Pass status &
peruasion/deception test = +1 glory
Three DoS on Persuasion/Deception roll = +1 to “Green” or “Black” score, depending on recipient.
Highest DoS (highest total rolls on all three challenges as tiebreaker) = +1 additional glory, +1 to “Green” or “Black” score, depending on recipient.
Further complications may arise from particular gifts.
Technically, a house can send separate participants to both gift giving ceremonies if it would be in character. Expect a whacking great influence penalty.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Day 2 Late Morning: Gift Giving Empty Re: Day 2 Late Morning: Gift Giving

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:54 pm

"
Ser Theomore Tullison, knighted by Prince Daemon after having served as his squire."

Theomore approaches the princess with confidence in his gait, quite pleased that the herald adds this little tidbit that no doubt will make him leave a better impression. "
My princess."
He goes down on one knee and bows deeply, as is only proper when dealing with those of royal blood. "
On behalf of my nephew, Lord Dunstan Tullison of Mountain's Reach, allow me to present to you our gift wrought from our very own steel."
Ren Alyard had certainly outdone himself this time, a master smith indeed, but this was beyond the decorations he had fashioned for Theomore's greathelm. The pages that had followed Theomore stepped forward so that he might drag away the piece of silk covering the statuette of a dragon of polished, black, steel. Very much like Theomore had described Caraxes to him. For certain, the smiths of King's Landing and other cities could do better, but they did not work with such common metal.

[url=language][/url]: 3d6 10, 1 DoS
[url=status-reputation][/url]: 4d6+1 19, 2 DoS
[url=Persuasion(Charm)][/url]: 5d6k4+1 [url=Blood of Andals-reroll][/url]: 1d6 22, 3 DoS

Total of 6 DoS, 51 in total score, +1 black score.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:28 pm

"
Master Daveth Coldbrook"

Hearing his name called out, fortunately not immediately after that of the Tullysons, Daveth felt his hands begin to sweat. This is it, Daveth. Meeting royalty. You've practised this. You're ready. You can do this.

Unless she examines the gift carefully, decides to take offence, and has you executed. Maybe you'll get to see a dragon soon as well? From the inside.

Shut up! Not helping!

Nonetheless, Daveth's face is calm and cool as he approaches the princess. At the appropriate spot, he kneels and bows deeply.

"
Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, on behalf of my father, Lord Tomas Coldbrook of Castle Grenward, I would like to present to you a small token of the high regard we feel for you. This was made by our smith, who makes our arms and armour, with which we are ever ready to support the realm."

A couple of Coldbrook pages move the gift, on top a small table, and covered in a fine cloth of northern wool, next to Daveth, who stands, and holds one corner. This is it, Daveth. You've done well. At least if the Princess is an art critic, you can be a deservedly proud dragon morsel. And he lifts the cloth, revealing a metal sculpture, a little over 2 foot high.

At the centre of the sculpture are 3 dragons, in a circle, facing outwards. The tails of the two smaller dragons are totally intertwined, so it's impossible to untangle them, while the biggest dragon simply has its tail wrapped once loosely around the ball formed that way.
The biggest dragon's pose is very regal, their metal has gold in it, and their back scales look like they're melted-down swords.
The middle dragon is clearly made using the style of metallurgy used by the Andals when they first settled here, but which has now been superseded, for reasons of practicality. Its pose is stationary, like it hasn't moved in some time.
The smallest dragon is clearly made using the cutting edge of metallurgical techniques, the kind master smiths are now experimenting with. Its pose is dynamic, giving of an air of energy in motion.
Surrounding the dragons, about the size of one of their toes, and so close to their feet that if the dragons start jostling about at all, a good number of them will almost certainly be crushed, is a circle of animals, each of which is chosen by some house or other as their emblem.
Each animal is humbling itself before the dragons, and the teeth of each creature are forged weapons, mostly swords.
Among the animals, fairly near the feet of the smallest dragon, is a northern wolf pup, with an oversized mouth, filled with rows and rows of wickedly sharp swords to more than rival that of the other, full-grown animals around it.
Another one of the animals is a pike, made of iron, wrapped in chains, with protruding, bloody, visible fangs. It looks like it's just about to burst its chains and attack, quite probably the dragons themselves, though the posing is ambiguous.
Outside of the circle of animals, around the edge of the sculpture, and quite clearly with the animals between them and the dragons, lurk a collection of figures, separately, but each eyeing the tableau with malice in their gaze, and weapons in their hands. From their clothes and accessories, they clearly represent Wildlings, Dorne, Essos, slave raiders, and assorted other threats.

Of course, if I knew then what I did now, I'd change a couple of things, but such is hindsight.

[url=Choosing the right words][/url]: 4d6 12 (1 DoS)
[url=Status-Breeding][/url]: 5d6k2 12 (1 DoS) (forgot the +1, should be 13)
[url=Persuasion towards Princess][/url]: 4d6+1 11 spending destiny point for +1B
[url=Destiny point for +1B to Persuade roll][/url]: 1d6 3 replacing one of the '1's, final result 13, 1DoS
+1 glory
Total 3 DoS, total rolls: 38
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Leifnarr Longshore Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Two well-dressed, refined men are chattering in the crowd. One of them is an old schemer from Highgarden, the second one is his brother in law, a fat courtier from Westernlands.
They are long-time friends and they both like to make comments about those who approach either the queen or the princess with a gift in hand.

These two men are masters of gossip and tattle.
They do it because they like it.
They do it because they understand how power works here.
And such a privileged observation point is precious for them, they can understand who's good and who's bad to befriend.

Their attention is caught by the odd pair of characters, in particular a man, much taller and bigger than any of the present, all dressed in black and leather. A wild, braided beard , kept long unto his mid torso, and a pair of fierce eyes which make people avoid his path: the image of a raider which strongly contrasts with the refined elegance of the crowd.

The herald proclaims: "
Leifnarr of House Longshore, naval captain and Longshore delegation head"

- "
Captain? It just means pirate and criminal!"
is the comment by the old Reachman
- "
And Delegation head? The poor Longshore Lord is almost dead, and the Ironborn are so miserable that they could not even send a decent heir for giving gifts!"
is the reply by the fat Westernlander.
- "
They could only send this one, which is more bear than man! Let hear what foolish words he will spell, this brute is doomed to failure….Look at the idiot! All dressed in BLACK as he goes straight towards the green queen…"

- "
who can be so ignorant of the choices made since the tourney of 111? Or maybe he is simply too much a barbarian if he ignores the value of the colors you bear …"

The Longshore colossus stops in front of the queen, make a slight bow with his head, and starts with his baritonous voice:

"
Your Majesty. I am here on behalf of my brother and lord, Ferris Longshore, unfortunately too ill to be present.

Leifnarr's hand moves towards the other man at his side, an equally tall person, although younger and with an appearance which is definitely more refined than Leifnarr's one.

"
Here with me is Yoren, Firstborn of my brother. He is recently back from a long journey in the exotic East.
And here with me I have a gift from my own wanderings.
Everybody knows that Ironborn do not sow, but I can offer you the harvest of my own axe. "

The big Ironborn hand moves inside the black mantle and, out of it, he takes an object wrapped in yellow silk. The thick fingers of Leifnarr open the wrappings revealing a simple silver diadem whose front is adorned with the odd figure of a bird of prey holding something in its claws.

- "
How disgusting! This brute is offering the queen something he took from a dead man's head!"
the Reachman says
- "
How does he dare?.... "
the Westernlander replies.

Leifnarr says: "
My hand collected it from the cold forehead of Lord Gerold Blackmont of Dorne, the scourge of Horn Hill, which he besieged six years ago, and where he tortured and beheaded Ser Malcom Hunt."

The Reachman seems not to make a comment this time…but his friend is not restrained:
- "
And who cares about the death of a minor lord in a Dornish raid?"

The Reachman does not asnwer, but the Westernlander seems anxious to keep on commenting:
- "
Why is this idiot bothering the queen with such a poor gift? And hear how roughly he speaks! "

- "
Shut up."
the old Reachman murmurs
- "
What?"

- "
Shut up, I said. It looks like you do not know who Malcom Hunt was."
the old Reachman murmurs
- "
The minor noble of a minor house, somewhere in the South?"

- "
He was Hunt by his father, but his mother was Hightower. First cousin to the queen, they grew up together in Highgarden and, some people murmur, he was also his first lover, long before Alicent was promised to the King …"

The Westernlander finally made silence.

Leifnarr ends his discourse:
"
May all the enemies of the Iron Throne meet the same end.
The Longshore arms are ready for serving the Targaryen."

- "
He is rough and brutish and he utter words with the same accent of a old goat…. He wears black next to the Green queen and give her such a gift.
I'm even not so sure what he will really "
serve"
to the Targaryen … nevertheless one must admit somebody will notice him….

OOC ROLLS:

[url=Language][/url]: 2d6 5 (NO BONUS!)

[url=Status (Reputation)][/url]: 5d6k4 17 (2 DoS)

[url=Persuasion][/url]: 4d6 15 (1 DoS)

3 DoS in total, Total of 37.
Should I get +1 Glory? (And nothing else I believe...)

Last edited by 135 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Leifnarr Longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 pm

The herald announces Lady Corrine Marsten, who approaches with a respectfully bowed head, and presents a finely woven tapestry, depicting a Targaryen 3-headed dragon perched upon the burning remains of a broken, ivy-covered tower. Ostensibly just an image of Targaryen power, but of course there are whispers that the tower is representative of House Hightower, and the ivy representative of the greens.

"
Your Grace,"
she greets the Princess, kneeling. "
On behalf of my mother, Lady Isobel Marsten, I present to you a token of House Marsten's esteem."

[url=Language][/url]: 3D6 = 9 (1 DoS)
[url=Status - Breeding][/url]: 5d6k4+1 = 15 (2 DoS)
[url=Persuasion - Charm][/url] 6d6k5+2 = 26

Last edited by 151 on Sun May 03, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 12:27 pm

[OOC:

+2 Glory to Ser Theomore Tullison
+1 Glory to Daveth Coldbrook
+1 Glory to Leifnarr Longshore

Note this on your character sheet.

+1 to Black score.

Rumours thread handles some of the reaction, more potentially later.

Potential further rolls from Corrine Marsten and Ser Fendrel Bartheld if they get them in soonish, as I'm a generous soul]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 8:06 pm

[OOC updated:

[OOC:

+2 Glory to Ser Theomore Tullison
+1 Glory to Daveth Coldbrook
+1 Glory to Leifnarr Longshore
+1 Glory to Corrine Marsten

Note this on your character sheet.

+2 to Black score (via Ser Theomore and Corrine Marsten).

Rumours thread handles some of the reaction, more potentially later.

Potential further rolls from Ser Fendrel Bartheld if he gets started soonish, as I'm a generous soul]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Fendrel Bartheld Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 pm

"
Ser Fendrel Bartheld,"
the herald introduces a man wearing extravagant clothes, all in black and gold, with House Bartheld's coat-of-arms embroidered on the front. Two servants walk a few steps behind the man, carrying a large human-sized object shrouded in black. Ser Fendrel approaches the Princess with both confidence and reverence, his eyes smiling with respect, "
My princess,"
he says as he goes down to one knee. "
a token of House Bartheld's devotion to you,"
his green eyes meet the violet stare of the Targaryen princess,"
to the crown, and to House Targaryen."
He turned his head and gave a sign to his servants to unveil the gift - a large, about six foot high painting. Its frame was made of gold, with some black pearls here and there, the painting itself was a full body portrait of Princess Rhaenyra, but she was shown in a way Queen Visenya, sister-wife to Aegon the Conqueror, was usually painted: as a warrior-like queen, confident, dominating but beautiful. Those who looked closely could see that the princess's diadem resembled - just a little bit, perhaps slightly... or was it just an illusion? - Aegon I's crown.

"
Work of House Bartheld's most talented artist... but House Bartheld appreciates beauty and has always been a great patron of arts."
Of course, Fendrel had to hire a painter who had already worked for the royal family and as such could do justice to the beautiful heir to the throne. Granted, the artist's service was ridiculously expensive, but he did in fact produce a masterpiece. Just like he promised.

Many onlookers were undoubtedly surprised to see a representative of House Bartheld offer a gift to the Princess and not the Queen... considering that Barthelds were generally thought of being supporters of the latter. It was clear that Ser Fendrel aimed to gain the princess' support and those who knew of House Bartheld's internal troubles might even remark on a certain degree of similarity between the problems faced by Rhaenyra and Fendrel...

[url=Language (Common)][/url]: 3d6 8 (no success;
no bonus)
[url=Status][/url]: 4d6 13 (1 DoS)
[url=Perception (Charm)][/url]: 6d6k4 20+2=22 (3 DoS) (the roll says Deception but changed to Persuasion after clarifying something with Reader;
same dice pool so it makes no difference)

Total of 4 DoS, total score of 43. +1 Glory, +1 Black score.

Ser Fendrel Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down