Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed) Empty [Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:30 am

Jon could scarce believe it - Lady Isobel Marsten had agreed to meet with him, and at short notice too! The letter he and Maester Forthwind had so painstakingly put together last night had worked! He checked his appearance one more time as he approached the Marsten camp. Doublet? No visible grease or wine stains. Beard and teeth? No remnants of breakfast there. Hair? Still a bit damp from this morning's wash, but that need not be to my disadvantage.

A chill ran down his spine as Lady Isobel's pavilion hove into view. Keep it together man, she's just another woman! No more fearsome than any other. Hopefully the tidbits Gwyneth fed me will at least prove somewhat useful! Stopping before the guards at the pavilion entrance, Jon looked them directly in the eye and spoke: "
Ser Jon Cobb to see Lady Isobel. One of you be a good man and let her know I'm here."

But how to approach this? he thought as he awaited Lady Isobel's reply. Will she even listen to an entreaty on Brom's behalf? From what I've heard he would be everything she dislikes in a man. And what about Fendrel - it'll be a hard case to make that he's the better candidate as long as Davain is seen as the lawful heir. Perhaps it's best to move slowly - try and gain her confidence first, and then work on getting her support for my friends? And after that, perhaps a new meeting, to talk of more pleasurable affairs...

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

[Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed)

Post by Reader Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Lady Isobel emerges from the tent, an imposing figure in a high necked, light purple dress.

She curtseys.

"
I am honoured to have such a famous guest call on me. Let it not be said that House Marsten kept one of the heroes of the Stepstones waiting."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2: Early Afternoon] Outstretched Hands (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Ah, she's even lovelier in daylight, Jon sighs inwardly.

Bowing deeply, he replies, "
Lady Marsten, it is I who am honored that you would receive a humble knight such as myself at such short notice. Forgive me for imposing on your valuable time, but I come seeking your counsel. I have heard people say that you are a lord who is both just and charitable, and so I hope that your advice could help me resolve a matter of great personal importance."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 pm

"
Flattery will get you everywhere Ser Jon,"
says Lady Marsten, although it is said with polite good-humour rather than flirtatiously.

"
Come, the rain has broken briefly, let us walk among the ground."

She offers an arm to Ser Jon and gestures for two guardsmen to follow.

"
What troubles you so, that you would call on outside advice?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 am

"
Oh, no flattery was intended, my lady. Flattery can certainly have its uses, but I have also heard that you are not one to be swayed by such,"
Jon replies with a smile and all the sincerity he can muster. Was that too ingratiating? Gods, I hope that didn't come across as ingratiating!

Jon takes the profferred arm and carefully matches his steps to Lady Isobel's, his maul thudding softly in the wet grass with every step.

"
My lady, I come to you because I am seeking the means to help an old friend, who - admittedly through his own foolishness - has fallen into disfavor with His Grace the king. I am sure you know of whom I speak?"
Of course you know. But what do you think of him, really?

OOC: So here's where things may get a bit complicated. I'm assuming that I will need to intrigue Isobel to get her support for Brom. But I also assume that she's quite the intrigue beast, so it's likely that I need to charm her first. Assuming that's correct, my idea for charming her would be to ask her advice on how to help Brom. Is that a reasonable interpretation of influencing via the Charm specialty?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:27 am

House Marsten is an ancient House and notoriously traditionalist, although Jon notice a slight squeeze on his arm as Lady Isobel takes it. Famous war heroes rarely call on widows.

"
Brom's foolishness has earned many a minstrel a meal and many a maiden a new mouth to feed."

Lady Isobel does not favour Brom with the use of his title.

"
But there's no fool like an old fool, and we were contemporaries at court. He was a fine jouster, a better raconteur and popular with his subjects. Too many of my vintage are gone now, and I am turned to vinegar."

A hollow laugh.

"
SUrely he'd do well to ease his house's path by taking the Black? Few stains show up on a black cloak."

[OOC: I can resolve an intrigue if you tell me your actions, or offer me a promising "
Yield"
i.e. negotiated solution.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 pm

"
Vinegar, my lady? I am no great connoisseur of wines, but even I know that they only improve - not worsen - with age. In fact, Brom taught me that when we were captives in Lys,"
Jon replies with a meaningful smile.

"
I am glad you know Brom as well as you do, my lady, and I agree that he is often his own worst enemy. But would you not also agree that there are many who have committed far more grievous sins than Brom, and yet they remain in the king's good graces! Do you truly believe that taking the black is the only way forward? I fear that it would be the death of him - and right quick too - even though I don't doubt that he would agree to it if there were no other way to ease the burden on his family."

OOC: How detailed would my actions need to be for you to resolve the intrigue? Do you need suggested actions for a number of exchanges or just a general description?

If I offer a negotiated solution, can it encompass getting House Marsten's support for Brom, or only improving Isobel's disposition to Jon (which was to be my first course of action)? In fact, the same question applies if you play out the intrigue.

Last edited by 117 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

[OOC: the more you ask, the better your offer will need to be! Sorry for being vague, but if you offer a lot Lady Isobel will be more open to providing more support.

For me to roll it out, just let me know what actions you'll generally take, 1v1 intrigue is usually pretty simple]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:53 pm

OOC: I think I'm going to go for a complicated solution - I'll do both! Details in the PM I just sent. Very Happy

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:48 pm

[OOC: resolved via PM for speed, Jon Cobb to post IC description]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 pm

"
Enough, my lady, I beg of you!"
Jon cries out in mock anguish. "
Your reasoning is as flawless as your taste in dresses,"
he continues with a bright smile, "
and I shall trouble you no more today with my questions. I only ask one more boon of you before I take my leave - may I call on you again tomorrow to continue our discussion? Hopefully a good night's sleep will have armed me with a wittier tongue and a clearer mind."

Lady Isobel comes to a stop, a thoughtful look on her face, but doesn't let go of Jon's arm. Then, with a slight smile, she replies: "
I confess that our little talk has been most...invigorating...Ser Jon. You have my leave to call on me tomorrow. Now, I have many duties that await my attention, and must bid you a good day."
With a parting nod of the head, Lady Isobel disappears into her tent.

Jon watches her leave, and then turns to leave the Marsten camp. A soft smile plays on his lips as he wanders off...

OOC: Dispositions for both improve to Amiable.

/end thread

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down