Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel

3 posters

Go down

(Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel Empty (Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel

Post by Reader Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 pm

The day is cloudy, threatening rain, but as yet failing to deliver.

The tourney field is ringed by smallfolk keen to watch the murderous reaver face the Seven's justice. House Tully's septon Meribald marches up and down the field with a censer, consecrating the grounds so justice may be done.

Lord Tully sits with the nobles and knights in attendance, allowing the crowd's tension to build before begining proceedings.

"
We are gathered here together to see justice down in the eyes of the Seven. While many of Athelstan Pyke's crimes are beyond dispute, this trial by combat has been convened to determine the itent of Athelstan's kinslaying blow."

"
Steel shall contend against steel here, and let the Seven strike down any man who interferes in their justice."

"
Quarter shall be permitted on either side, with Athelstan Pyke subject to the prescribed punishment should he yield to the court's verdict."

The combatants shall fight on foot, with additional weapons planted in the ground beyond those favoured by the champions. A greataxe rests on a stand at the entrace Athelstan enters from, while a greatsword is planted near Baelon's entry.

Guards with crossbows keep watch inside and outside the ring, with several of Lord Tully's finest knights armed and armoured should trouble erupt.

Among the watching nobles, a great deal of comment is provoked by Prince Daemon Targaryen's attendance, with the Valyrian sword Dark Sister provocatively worn at his hip.

[OOC: other players, feel free to make a separate thread for spectators, this thread is for the competitors, you start within a move from one another. Participants - a post ofr two for entry, with some smack talk/nerveless silence, then on to initiative rolls.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

(Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel Empty Re: (Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel

Post by Reader Fri May 08, 2015 5:06 pm

[ooc: additional weapons here are spares and are blunted, not vicious]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

(Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel Empty Re: (Day 4, Late Morning) Ironborn, Trial by Steel

Post by Athelstan Fri May 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Athelstan enters with two ironborn behind him carrying shields and battle axes for his combat, while looks at the crowd with apparent indifference. It is the Storm God that comes to see me fall, those dark clouds are not a good omen for this fight. He bends a knee in prayer in a low deep voice beginning to rise slow like the change of tides.

Drowned God, lord of the Sea and ironborn
Consecrate my axe and strengthen the arm that wields it.

“Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel” the two ironborn chorus
Grasping his axe and slowly sweeping it across the air

Purify my mind and secure grant me courage
“Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel” the two ironborn chorus
Taking his helmet and putting it on

That the iron blood remains pure and incorruptible

Let no one tread upon me, for I am to be like the sea
[/i]
Taking hold of his shield grasping it firmly

Cleanse my soul from doubts
"
What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."
the two ironborn chorus
Bowing his head as one of the iron born sprinkle water on him

Make fear my weapon and staunch companion
"
the two ironborn chorus
One of the iron born sprinkle water on him
A grim face and glare as the adrenaline rushes through Athelstan

Render me a willing implement of your fury
"
the two ironborn chorus
He roars with strength

Give me strength beyond my strength
"
the two ironborn chorus
Turning to face his foe

To persevere past all impossibility
"
the two ironborn chorus
Laughing at the heavens mocking the Storm God in defiance

"
the two ironborn chorus
Until Sea Swallows All! all three ironborn

Athelstan was ready with shield and axe at hand, armored in splint mail in a burgundy chest quilted cloth. Now he walks towards the middle pointing his axe at Ser Baelon, maelstrom raging with barely contained.

Master of the Dead and Unknown
I send unto you those deemed worthy of your presence
So they will fall this day, to raise again
For the Stranger has requested an audience with you
I am the instrument of his deliverance
To guide you to you his presence and the unknown

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Is all that pomp supposed to frighten me? Laughable.

Baelon steps forth, followed by a single attendant: Edmund Lyras.
He is dressed in simple, unremarkable splint mail. It is plain and shows the wear of a professional soldier's kit.
Atop his harness of armor is a simple tabard of black cloth with Baelon's simple sanguine bend sinister upon it.

"
Good morning Ath."

He says, loosely stretching.
"
May I call you Ath? It seems appropriate."

He turns his back on his opponent, taking his simple, conical full-helm from Edmund, placing it atop his head, visor up.
Edmund straps Baelon's large shield to his left arm, then extends his sheathed longsword, hilt out, to the knight.
Drawing the sword, Baelon takes a step back.
"
Thank you Edmund, that will be all for now."

Turning back towards his foe, he swings the sword back and forth a few times, settling it into his well practiced grip.

"
If you are done with your heathen ritual, would you care to begin? The gods do not take kindly to fools that waste their time."

He flips his visor down and assumes a relaxed but ready pose.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Fri May 08, 2015 8:45 pm

"
You may call me Ath, it is an honor to meet you and the Gods are never to be denied rightful honors either be the Drowned God or the Stranger"
he shrugs for a second "
Would have thought that someone like you knew better than that"

[ooc]I wait for your witted answer and rolls?[/ooc]

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 pm

"
The Drowned God and the Stranger? Do you fear death so much that you invoke two death-gods?"

Trial - Initiative Step
[url=Initiative][/url]: 3d6-3 11
Combat Defense: 11
AR: 7
Health: 9/9
Injuries/Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0/0

Fatigue declaration: if successfully hit &
it would make a difference, Baelon will take 1 fatigue to ignore armor penalties (CD 14).

OOC: I'm waiting for some info from Reader, so even if you win initiative, please do not post an action yet.
EDIT: forgot to put AR in.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Fri May 08, 2015 9:20 pm

: 5d6k4-3 18
Movement: 4
Combat Defense: 10
Health: 12/12

Edit: read wrong the distance
Athelstan smiles at the man that mocks the Gods, and with speed on his side and a quick move of his arm he hits Baelon.

[url=Standard Attack][/url]: 4d6k4 14
Damage: 5
Move 4 after the attack, to get out of his range.
[ooc]Taking 2B Axes to deal +2 damage next round[/ooc]
[ooc]Edit: I can wait, just posting what I do[/ooc]

Last edited by 149 on Fri May 08, 2015 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Baelon wrote:OOC: I'm waiting for some info from Reader, so even if you win initiative, please do not post an action yet.
OOC: As previously stated, I am waiting on some info from Reader, so I will be waiting to post an action.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm

OOC: Fatigue point would not make a difference, so not used. Baelon takes 5 -7AR = 0 damage.

Athelstan's weakly strikes Baelon on the front of his leg, not hard enough to get through the mail skirt, but enough that it probably left a small bruise.

"
You're quick, I'll give you that. But..."

He probes the Ironborn warrior's defenses, slithering his sword past Athelston's shield, though not managing to penetrate the other man's armor.
Suddenly he unleashes a series of lightning swift slashes, driving his foe back and off balance.

"
Quick isn't going to be enough against me."

Trial - Round 1
[url=Initiative][/url]: 3d6-3 11 (Athelstan, Baelon)
Combat Defense: 14
Health: 9/9

Lesser Action: [url=cautious attack][/url]: 7d6k4 14 [1 DoS] (look at all those 1s...)
Effect: 5 damage - AR 6 = 0 damage , Baelon gets +3 CD

Lesser Action: [url=Maneuver][/url]: 7d6k5 23 (vs passive fighting, 18?) [2 DoS]
Effect: Athelstan takes a -1D penalty on tests next round and is moved back 2 feet

Fatigue declaration: if successfully hit &
it would make a difference, Baelon will take 1 fatigue to ignore armor penalties (CD 14).

EDIT: Axe Fighter I damage removed per Reader, see next post.

Last edited by 111 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat May 09, 2015 2:42 pm

[OOC: resolved in narrative time due to Narrator screw-up]

Back and forth the combatants fight, ranging to the very edges of the grounds at times and causing the crowd to draw back to avoid their swings.

Athelstan is faster and makes a strong start, enjoying much the better of the opening exchanges. For a time it seems he will wear Ser Baelon down with a series of axe strikes, despite the young knight's armour. He seems almost tireless and could clearly fight all day - strong blows will be needed to wear him down, rather than simple fatigue.

The ironborn roar their approval, despite Athelstan's treacherous blow, they love nothing more than one of their own driving a haughty knight across a field.

However, what Ser Baelon gives up in raw speed he makes up for in swordsmanship. His stout shield guards him from the worst of Athelstan's blows.

"
Dragon's son! Dragon's son!"
goes up a brief solitary shout in Baelon's favour from the crowd as he gains the upper hand, before it is silenced by a green sympathiser's well aimed punch.

Superior technique wins out in the end. With a powerful backhanded cut, Ser Baelon eventually drives the Ironborn to his knees in surrender, both men tired and bleeding from cuts won in noble combat.

[OOC: both of you, feel free to add your own flourishes to this.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Sat May 09, 2015 2:50 pm

[ooc] Athelstan has nothing to say, if you thought I had anything really to say I don't just nothing pops to my mind, reap your reward Ser! Well played[/ooc]

[ooc]Edit: Found something to answer Baelon XD inspiration + motivation restored[/ooc]

Last edited by 149 on Sat May 09, 2015 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat May 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Without taking his eyes off of the defeated Athelstan, Baelon raises his voice above the cheers and jeers of the crown.

"
Princess Rhaenyra, as the King's appointed heir you are the highest ranked noble at this assembly, and I humbly request your verdict on this matter.
Athelstan Pyke's guilt has been made evident by this trial by combat. Declare his punishment and I will gladly serve as your sword in executing that punishment, as you see fit."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Sat May 09, 2015 6:16 pm

"
It was my eye that you must take, I can do it myself"
turning to whisper to Baelon "
I don't want to break my oath of you getting hurt or die during this fight"
turning to look at were the Marstens are seated.

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat May 09, 2015 6:35 pm

"
Well fought bastard,"
The princess's words are clipped, her voice carrying across the field but taut. No Ser Baelon, or even just Ser.

Bastard.

"
The eye or the hand that struck is half-brother, that was Lord Tully's judgment and I will not gainsay a man in his own house."

House Tully guardsmen move to carry Athelstan off for the prescribed punishment, when suddenly in a feat of almost unimaginable will Athelstan move to carry out the sentence himself....
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat May 09, 2015 6:48 pm

"
As you wish, your highness."

He turns and walks back towards Edmund, intent to disarm himself and move on with his day.

Is she my enemy? She, whom I support for the throne? Or is she merely displeased by my existence as her husband's son by another woman?
Either way that is disappointing. It's not like she was married to him when I was born;
of his five children only two are hers;
does she hate
Raena and Baela so much? That I would not be able to abide.

When the crowd suddenly gasps, Baelon spins about, expecting some treachery. Seeing instead that Athelstan has taken his own eye, he simply turns back to his previous task.

A hard man, that kinslayer. Foolish, but hard.

OOC: It's actually a lot worse to take your own eye - you will probably end up doing more damage to the surrounding tissues, increasing the pain and the chance of infection.
I was once taught the 'proper' way to remove an eye... the things you learn doing Shakespeare...
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat May 09, 2015 6:51 pm

[OOC: true, as our King Lear fans know, but going with rule of cool on this one.

Sorry Rhaenyra was mean.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down