Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed) Empty [D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu May 21, 2015 8:06 pm

Baelon entered the now quite familiar copse of trees just outside the Marsten encampment.
Finding a suitable tree, he sets down the basket of supplies he has brought and lays out one of Velox' horse blankets.
WIncing a little from his jousting injuries, he sits down on the blanket, resting his back against the tree.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed) Empty Re: [D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed)

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 12:00 am

"
Two days ago, we met here to discuss our plans,"
Gwyn says as she steps into the copse of trees and leans against one of them. "
Give what's happened since, I'm forced to wonder just how skillful we are at planning."

She smiles at the leaves overhead.

"
Maybe we'd do better just improvising from now on."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed) Empty Re: [D5:LE] A time just to be together (Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 am

"
Ser Peyton* once told me that no plan survives the first encounter with the foe."

He smiles. He pats a spot on the blanket beside him, inviting her to sit.
"
Too many things just can't be predicted. Your cousin, the trial, my father, even our own hearts have surprised us."

He meets her eyes.
"
So far, I've been quite happy with the surprises."

*Ser Peyton Darke, captain of the guard at Dragonstone. Baelon squired under him for 7 years;
Gwyn would have heard Baelon talk about him at various points in the past.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm

"
I've no complaints,"
Gwyneth acknowledges with a coy smile, "
It's just a little unsettling to feel like the more I try to control my own fate, the more everything seems to spin out of control. Even if I approve of the shore I wash up onto, how much better if I hadn't wrecked the ship to get there?"

She goes over to Baelon and takes hold of his arm to lean against his side.

"
We got very lucky. This could have gone so much worse."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 pm

"
Yes, it could. However, I think that it would have been far worse had we not made plans in the first place. If we do not chart a course, we may never reach our destination."

He uncovers the basket he brought, revealing bread, cheese, fruit, a bottle of wine and two glasses. He plucks a grape and feeds it to her.

"
Whatever our destination might be. Have you any thoughts on that? I don't mean the traveling, but after that. I know your relationship with Lady Isobel is... difficult. Would you want to stay at Hartshorn after, to be with your sister and cousin? I think that Ben and Corrine would benefit from your counsel. i could press to be named Keeper of the Gate.
Alternately, we could go elsewhere. I am sure that there are other Houses that would welcome us, should we desire."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Gwyneth shrugged, and was quiet for a moment as she sorted through the ideas.

"
I think now that Corrine and I are safely married, and all is right in the Heavens, she will no longer care what becomes of me...stay or leave. She may still harbor some resentment at the trouble I was at the center of, and I'm sure she won't be pleased that my marriage brought little joy to the House. My own joy will never enter her mind, of course."

She shook her head. "
But I would much prefer to be somewhere that her mind and opinions never need trouble us. I suppose Hartshorn could be that place, once Corrine takes over. And with you as Keeper..."

"
But then again, if you're Keeper of the Gate, that means you have to stay there. The call can come any moment. You said you wanted to travel with me, once. I'd like that too. Even if we can't do it for very long."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 pm

"
Oh, I still intend to travel with you. A good leader knows to have good subordinates. I am sure that Ser Kevan would not mind being left in charge on occasion. Being Keeper wouldn't make a slave of me."

He eats a grape.

"
I just want you to be happy... whether that is at Hartshorn or elsewhere. Either way, I will be happy just to be with you, and we will make it work. I feel there is nothing the two of us couldn't accomplish, should we work together at it."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 am

Gwyn dissolves into giggles. "
You've already gotten so maudlin. Oh how love brings the mighty low."
She bumps her shoulder against Baelon's. "
Do I get to look forward to poetry?"

"
Anyway, no harm in asking what would be involved with it,"
she sighs. "
No need to jump one way or the other before we know anything."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 12:43 am

A darkness passes over his face. Not anger;
something else, something less definable.
"
I just... I don't normally think about being happy. I'm kind of new to it."

He puts his arm around her shoulders - in part because she is unknowingly hitting a bruised spot with her shoulder.

"
As for the Keeper of the Gate, from what I gather it's just a high ranking position in the Marsten military. I don't even think there's an actual gate.
Though, I suppose it can't hurt to ask for more information. I'm sure Ser Markus would be able to tell me."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 12:55 am

"
There's not a literal gate,"
Gwyn agrees. "
It's just what we call the pass. The 'gate' through the mountains."

She frowns a little and her voice softens on seeing him wince.

"
I'm sorry, did I hurt you? Do you want to see Leopold?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 am

"
Have you found him? I did take a bit of a beating in the joust today... Lord Manfryd Mooten and I unhorsed each other at the same time, so it came to swords.
Lucky for me, while he was my equal - possibly better - with a lance, I was able to turn the tides soundly once we were on foot."

I know she doesn't like jousts and such. I don't want to scare her...

"
I should be able to afford better armor with my earnings. That will help keep me safer in the future."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 1:09 am

"
I found him,"
Gwyn says, and yawns. "
It took all night. And he's five dragons in debt. But I found him. He's rooming at the Drunken Huntsman of all places."

She gives Baelon a concerned look, but doesn't fuss, at least not immediately. He was walking and breathing...the rest would heal.

"
I'm still trying to work out how to get the coin together without Isobel putting her foot down over it."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 1:54 am

"
Five dragons? Don't bother with Lady Isobel, I can cover that. I have some thirty-five or so dragons in ransoms to collect."

He smiles.

"
You didn't think I've been getting battered in the joust just for the fun of it, did you?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat May 23, 2015 9:03 pm

"
I certainly hope not,"
she replies with a chuckle. "
Just don't let pride or desire for ransom make you reckless. You've got a family to look after now."

"
Anyway, do you want to go see him? When is your next joust?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 pm

"
Tomorrow afternoon, against Ser Meddrick Manderly... who was, from all reports, rather ill today so may not be at peak performance."

He chuckes.
"
Have no fears, I'll not be reckless. In truth, even getting into the top sixteen in a tourney of this size is an accomplishment;
if Ser Meddrick is still ill, then I have a good shot at the top eight, but with kingsguard and Ser Derroc Swann in the mix I would need a very lucky draw to make it beyond that point. Several others you know have made it this far as well;
Kevan, Benedict, even the kinslayer;
I may not be able to stand the man, but I must admit that he is a better jouster than I would have ever expected an Ironborn to be. I am a bit concerned though - he has drawn Benedict for the next round. I wouldn't put it past him to try something underhanded. Perhaps an extra guard or two on Benedict's horse and gear would be wise... and maybe someone sharp-eyed serving as his attendant..."

He shakes his head.
"
But enough of the joust, I know you care little for such sport. Yes, I will see this Maester Leopold of yours in the morning, as you speak so highly of him."

He pulls her close and kisses her, savoring the warmth and softness of her lips.
"
On to topics more pleasant. When would you like to be married?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun May 24, 2015 5:16 pm

"
Mmm...today, tomorrow...it might be fun for the ceremony to happen alongside Corrine's, but then again it would also be nice to have a smaller affair."

She rested her head on his chest.

"
There is something about Leopold...I'm not sure exactly what to do."
She sighed. "
I know you wanted to discuss happy things, but if you're going to see him you need to know this. He's suffered greatly during his exile from the House. And as men sometimes do at such times, he's was deep in drink when I found him. Now, I made an arrangement with the inn he's staying at not to serve him more, but..."

"
I'm afraid it may not just be drink that's afflicting him. When you see him, be watchful. I hope that he will rise to this opportunity, but despair can make men weak sometimes."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun May 24, 2015 5:36 pm

"
Today or tomorrow?"
He furrows his brow. "
In truth I had hoped to invite my father, but as he has not openly acknowledged me yet, we would have to either put it off for a while or do it in secret. I... I don't want this to be secret. I don't want our relationship to be the subject of rumors anymore."

He shakes his head.

"
I suppose I want too much, and can't have it all. Tomorrow, then, at the soonest. I would at least like to invite our friends, and I don't think we'd be able to get them all together tonight. Perhaps during the ball? If we invite the whole party to attend maybe my father could be there. Though if you want a smaller affair we could do something else."

"
As for Maester Leopold... I'd prefer if you or someone else who knows him is there. I won't know what is unusual behavior and what is normal... and if he is drunk, it might not be a bad idea for someone to assist him."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 pm

Gwyneth laughed and butted Baelon's shoulder with her head playfully.

"
I only meant I didn't have a specific date in mind,"
she teased, "
I don't want it to be secret either. I don't mind waiting if that's what it takes to make it right. The wedding is, in my mind, just a formality at this point."

She considered a moment. "
I...could go,"
Gwyn said carefully. "
But I don't know how much help I'd be. You could talk to Ser Benedict. He and I were both close to Leopold when he was still at Hartshold. He knows him at least as well as I do."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 am

"
Mere formality or not, I don't want to put it off for too long. The longer we wait the more likely you will change your mind."

He laughs and squeezes he shoulders lightly, showing that he is not being serious.

"
Very well. I will ask Benedict. We had a good conversation earlier. He impressed me with his wisdom and humility. He will may make a good lord yet."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Gwyn nods at this and relaxes against Baelon for a moment, the two of them enjoying a comfortable silence.

Until she says, "
This matter of Greens and Blacks is starting to trouble me more, now that the immediate concerns of the House seem to be on the path to being righted. I've been so...focused on the House, for better or for worse, I've barely even glanced at what's been going on beyond. That was shortsighted of me, I think, in hindsight. Corrine will have her hands full with keeping Marsten working and with the clans. Someone needs to have an eye on the larger picture. Why not me?"

She tilts her head to look back over her shoulder and smile.

"
Why not us?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue May 26, 2015 6:12 pm

He breathes deeply, contentedly, enjoying just being together.

"
I think you would be excellent at it, and I have always enjoyed working together with you."

He smiles warmly.
"
Whether we like it or not, we are involved with those national politics... but there are opportunities as well as risks. I've been forging ahead largely blindly... so far it has worked out well enough, but not without problems. My father seems pleased, but I think I have displeased the Princess."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue May 26, 2015 6:21 pm

"
You're never going to please the Princess,"
Gwyn dismissed. "
For the same reason I could never please Isobel. Once you're married, things might ease somewhat, I suppose.."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue May 26, 2015 6:37 pm

"
Perhaps. Honestly, pleasing her is not a high priority for me - though I do not wish to have her as an enemy either. As for Lady Isobel... I think if we worked together we could bring her around. Particularly if we can convince her that you want to support Corrine, not undermine her."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down