Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed)

2 posters

Go down

All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed) Empty All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed)

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Few things are more satisfying to see than a people happily occupied doing trade, banter over tables, dogs under tables, children everywhere.
In the midst of it sits Yoren up towards a wall with a book borrowed from the large Tully library. The book is quite slim, and it seems like Yoren plans to read through it in one sit. He does not lift his gaze untill the man in front of him blocks out the sun.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed) Empty Re: All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed)

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm

"
Well if it isn't the Playboy of Longshore, Whore Slayer Extraordinaire, or so I've heard"
taunting the man with a bad joke as he always had, it was not his suit, but did not stop him from trying "
How are you doing Yoren, last time I saw you was the same day you left to the Free Cities, while I was leaving to the Summer Islands"
sitting himself as he looks tired 'This damn greenlander riverfolk are such cheap bastards, but I have made good sells, with the lumber, exotic furs and contracts to bring the lumber from the Summer Islands, I think I might buy a House here to do business, of course all in the Longshore name as I am sponsored by the grace of lord Ferris to make such deals and travels"
finally noticing he is reading and tired of listening to his voice only, at least for this moment "
What are you reading anyway?"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed) Empty Re: All that glitters (D7 late afternoon.) (closed)

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 pm

"
Only if they attack first."
Yoren says smilingly as he puts a dandelion in the book before closing it.
"
I'm doing well thank you, considering all of our loss I belielieve that it is only natural if everything is not allright."
Yoren shakes his head: "
My father is strong, but news such as these can break men much harder than him."

"
I'm reading a study of the summer isles way to becone a trading power like they are today. I intend to right the fiscal flaws to our society to become strong again. I'm afraid that you may be too busy for the next few months to have time relaxing here."

Yoren pats on the ground next to him: "
sit down, it's hard to see you with the sun at your back."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm

"
Your don't know nothing Yoren Longshore, do some reading of your family particularly Ulryden the Kinslayer, your great grandfather and Aldric Lonshore the one they called the mad, but the dead can't speak to defend themselves, and only the kinslayer and his traitors did. History is usually written in the eyes of the victors Yoren, remember that well"
ordering some tea to refresh himself now that he is sited comfortably "
House Longshore already trades with them as well as the other ironborn Houses, they are our best customers, where do you think about a third if not half of our house comes from"
smelling his tea "
I'm used to have the sun in my back Yoren some us worked hard while you were pleasure riding the Free Cities, and reading books is a queer thing among ironborn don't let the men see you. Not saying knowing how to read is bad, otherwise making contracts and deals wouldn't do much if you can't read or write"
he smiles.

"
The Drowned God has been good to me, Yoren what have you learned in your travels and what have you been up to in this tournament?"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:23 pm

"
I was not the one who killed my brother."
Yorens voice goes cold, but as different subjects are broached he adds earnestly."
we trade, but little of the wealth ever comes to use, too much is lost in badly implemented changes. This is intertwined with what I have attempted, I've had conversations on whether people may subsidise a market, to give us easier controll over the market."
Yoren snorts: "
sounds funny doesn't it? I've been within inches of the man that killed Roddric, and I've been looking into a market. I just think that the man who killed my brother should be tried by Ferris himself, it is his right. My trip through free cities learned me much, but unfortunately not how to re grant someone their life."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 pm

"
You should remember the Drowned God's words then Yoren"
rubbing his chin "
We could find ways to get a market Yoren to better establish control anf flow of goods, but Ferris wanted to have a master shipwright and have Longshore boats be some of the best in the Iron Islands"
changing back to the subject "
I see no problems like you did, Ferris has no issues knowing his grandfather was a kinslayer that killed his lord, nor your grandfather, not all those that serve the House now, are just little more than hypocrites if they pretend to be offended, your family line was cursed by the Drowned God, because of hat your great grandfather usurped his brother and killed him"
he looks at Yoren "
Has Athelstan started speaking like a drowned man?"
really concerned look in his face "
What did you do when he killed him? Did you condemned him, try to save him or simply watch things unfold and now benefit from it?"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 pm

"
Tried to stop the bleeding, when that was done all I could do was make the camp calm down and send a honorary guard of the men who would most definitely have killed Athelstan with the body. Kinslaying is not what offends me the most, knowing that Roddric is gone, however, offends me. The shipwright is well and good, but it would be even better with a marketplace to trade from."
Yoren changes subjects fast and organised: "
Where have you been for the first part of this tourney?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:13 pm

"
Trading, I got back to Landhold and began traveling here to make business"
silence is all that is left for a moment "
I met Leifnarr and Roddric on my way here, and the mention of your name to him is more insulting than anything I could come up with, what did you do that he hates you that much?"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 pm

"
Don't taunt me, the dead cannot talk, you may joke about my women, my name, my wit or whatever you please, but it is macabre of you to state that you talked to Roddric after he died, and don't say that he hated me, I hope at least that he understood that I care..."
Yoren looks angry at the man in front of him for insinuating that he spoke to the dead.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 pm

"
I was talking about Leifnarr, not Roddric. Besides all those that descend of the Kinslayer are cursed by the Drowned God, let them wonder lost for their sins in the endless sea, until one another kinslayer does the same, you are all damned"
he smiles nonchalantly "
That is if you are religious and believe in courses of course"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:54 pm

"
I was talking about Leifnarr, not Roddric. Besides all those that descend of the Kinslayer are cursed by the Drowned God, let them wonder lost for their sins in the endless sea, until another kinslayer does the same, you are all damned"
he smiles nonchalantly "
That is if you are religious and believe in curses of course"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 am

"
Curses is little more than weak men trying to find someone else to blame for their misfortune. It has little to do with any god, more to do with the clumsyness of a man. If I loose in cards I may blame my bad cards, but truth is that it was me who bet money on them."

Yoren winds down when it becomes apparent that it was Leifnarr they talked about. "
He insulted me and seemed surprised when I answered by the same token. He had grown into thinking that he was the lord of this camp, I knocked him down a few notches. He seems to have been swayed by my display regardless. Henryk told me that Leifnarr will support me, and although I don't know about Leifnarr, I know that if he tries anything Henryk will solve the matter."
Yoren nods to himself. "
Do you support me or my sister?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 am

"
The only true ironborn in your family that deserves to be heir, your sister. Tradition won't allow you to be Heir, Athelstan is cursed and has a special role to play in the Drowned Gods vengeance on your family for the sin of your ancestor, and will not be heir. I'm sure I can persuade Leifnarr to support her now that you crossed him"
he drinks more tea and plays with his drink for a moment "
Hendryk, can't do much Roddric is proof of that so far, and I have your father's ear, which is more than anyone of you can say Yoren"
not threat, more like a fact of his capabilities to tilt the balance in the favor of Alya "
Besides what are you doing after the tournament, going home? Taking Athelstan with you? Have you found a husband for your sister?"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 am

"
Alya will not be heir. She has a lot of the capabilities, I'll grant you, but she does not have all that is needed. She has grown up in the shadow of Roddric, something like that it is not easily shedded."

Yoren shrugs: "
If Henryk's information is correct she does not even want it. You should at the very least ask her whether or not she wants the lordship before you try to give it to her."

Yoren looks at her curiously: "
When did you talk to her the last?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 am

"
I did only in passing when I came back"
looking at Yoren straight in the eyes "
Roddric is no longer here to cast a shadow, and tradition won't give it to you, only Leifnarr is left, if Alya doesn't want it otherwise the real Longshore tradition of taking a Kinslayer of lord will have to do, but Alya will accept it, before she let's Athelstan have it, I don't even consider you a possibility after all I have heard of your fire worshiping and that you have no skill at arms, two things we cannot afford to have of an ironborn lord, which you are not"
stroking his beard for a minute before drinking more tea "
It's not personal Yoren, it's just the best for the House, while you can still serve by getting married to a greenlander and help build lasting alliances with the greenlanders, all I know is trading and raiding, but not much of that after I got this wound that left me crippled, damned Roddric and Athelstan always fighting each other, one to make the other look bad, and the other rising to the challenge"
an honest smile for a change crosses his face for a moment "
Not that you were even there, you had just left on your journey to do whatever it was that has left you a changed man, just ironborn in name and birth but nothing more"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:36 am

Yoren smiles;
"
Leifnarr will never manage to deal with other lords, he is too indicisive and slow, I believe he will come to my side as he probably cannot bear Athelstan as lord. Athelstan will not dare to have Alya as lord, as he would be quartered, if he is lucky. Alya, however will not bear Athelstan either, so I believe that she will come into my fold. You see that none of them wishes me, but if it stands between the posibility of loosing to another and letting me take the reign, i suppose most have made their choice."

Yoren pours a drink himself: "
I believe i may make you support me too. I am the one that will be able to get good trade, which is your lifeblood. I hope you will come around."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:05 pm

"
You assume to much of your sister and Leifnarr, you have been away for to long Yoren, and I'm sure you have something else in stock for Athelstan once you take Landhold if you can, he loses no matter who sits in Landhold so for him it's the same really so don't pretend you are the merciful because you are not. While Leifnarr may have a hard time to deal with other lords, you could serve him for that purpose and your House, your sister could also marry an ironborn lord and give strength to the House or even a greenlander"
almost a retch takes over at the thought of that happening "
She is quite beautiful and it would be easy to find her a strong candidate that can easily take over. I believe you are more suited for the job of diplomat, to speak to other lords as you probably already do, but not as the lord of the House, and so your farce about not letting Alya take Landhold for Athelstan sake is nothing but you fooling yourself or just making others think you are merciful, if you wanted him protected you could have supported that he was defending himself, and you would have gained his support and loyalty, your House would be no further damaged and saved face and all the problems it currently has, it would have been an ushered secret a rumor, but it was not to be, you took out two men in a single blow so you could rule, either intentionally or unintentionally but that is what it seems to those smart enough to see it"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm

"
I did support him as far as truth could take it. I don't lie, but short of that I did everything to help. As for merciful, I'm not sure what makes you feel that I am not. When Roddrics friends were about to rip out his throat, I was the one who told them to back off. You say that I woupd kill him given the chance, yet I had a possibility to do just that, and I did not take it."
Yoren speaks matter of factly, with little emotions but for a weary undertone, like the one you get from repeating yourself too many times.

"
Why would Alya not support me is an important question. You are backing a candidate before knowing if she backs herself. I wish you good luck in your chase, but I cannot help but feel that you're wasting your time. After the tournament, and after I have fought back the clans, would you wish to join me on a venture to the north? How is your grasp on their language?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:55 am

"
Well time will tell, I serve the House best interest only"
as if almost saying and my own "
I only raided in the North when we could and long time ago and that is the extent of what I know of them, I now make my money with the Summer Islands trade, but what are you doing in the North?"
the possibility of business is always welcome specially the furs and ironwood.

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 am

"
We are going there for their workforce. Their friendship and their workforce. Then we will also take a sample of the creatures of the north, what would maesters at oldtown not pay for a live shadow cat? You may join us on the trip, but we'll have to pitch it to Ferris before long."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 am

"
Workforce, are you hiring them for a job or bringing them for a job"
making quotations on the bringing them, as in raiding for thralls "
If you truly wish to do that with the maesters, the Summer Island has a menagerie of exotic creatures, jewels and materials, now if it's to establish trade routes I'm all for it, as longs as they are by sea. It is cheaper and we can use the port in Landhold"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 pm

"
Every idiot between the wall and dorne may trade summer islander menagerie, it requires skill for wares from above the wall, which naturally increases the payment we'll receive. I hold it self evident that we may not travel by land, that would take years. We sail to the frozen shores, after that we'll have to leave the boats behind. We'll travel by foot from there with around 20 men, the rest will take care of the ships. We will then head to the harsher climates and persuade them to join us, our soil is quite good compared to theirs. A couple of well wrought iron weapons aught to convince them. Why reave when you'll get more from talk?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:47 am

"
So Im an idiot? I beg to differ there is only 2 places in westeros currently selling goods from the Summer Islands of course, an idiot wouldn't know that. I plan to make our House the third major place to trade with them, this way you don't have to go to Old Town or King's Landing. That is why a market and converting us into a major port is my priority"
giving hard thought to Yoren's words "
That is a risky venture with few possible returns other than getting workers and that still depends on the means you do it"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 am

Yoren sighs audibly before explaining: "
If I'd said that all who trades with the summer islanders are idiots, then you'd have fallen into that category. As it is I stated that any idiot could trade with the summer islanders, which is not to say that anyone trading with them are idiots, only that they could still make profits if they were. The north has a big untapped human resource, which may benefit us more than trade with the summer isles. By all means, trade with the summer islands would be beneficial, however, how beneficial I don't know."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Riackard Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:28 pm

"
Then if you do not know, don't talk as if you did, besides the North trades many valuable furs and ironwood. What lies beyond the Wall you are more than likely to be killed and the iron weapons and taken, or those savages could agree to your terms to just make it into your ship and then fight you for it with iron weapons"
he sigh "
Your idea is not new, but there is a reason why that 'potential' remains so distant Yoren, they don't even trade among themselves, so why risk making an enemy of the North, they probably have nothing of worth that I couldn't find in a slave market"
he smiles at least thralls know how to work and kneel to their lord, what you seek will die before that happens and kill you, but if you are so adamant go for it, but you do so without me"

Riackard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down