Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed) Empty [Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 01, 2015 3:19 pm

"
Thank you Lord Tully, for making time to see me."
Jon began with a deep bow before the old man on the throne. "
I understand that there must be many more important visitors seeking your attention these days."

"
My lord, I come before you as an old and concerned friend of Lord Brom Bartheld. As you are no doubt aware, Brom's sudden departure from Hart House has raised the issue of who is to succeed him as lord of House Bartheld. Already there is a rift forming within the house between those who feel that Brom made it clear that Davain Bartheld is his chosen heir, and those who feel that Ser Fendrel is the man who best understands how to maintain House Bartheld's prosperity. My lord, I have been a frequent visitor to Hart House over the years, and I am loathe to see all that Brom built torn down by this foolish squabble. And so I come to you, in the hope that your sage counsel can help my friends at House Bartheld resolve matters so that the house may continue to live up to its words - Joy in Service."

OOC: Should I just toss in the rest of Jon's arguments straight away, or should we have a bit of back and forth?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

[Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed)

Post by Reader Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 am

"
Hmm, we must all be true to our words. Brom should be thankful he was born a Bartheld and not a Tully. He has certainly achieved the joy part, but there is scant Family, Duty, Honour in his conduct."

The jape is made with good humour following Jon's positive impression yesterday, and the court titters dutifully rather than hissing at any true venom.

With the day's petitions almost at an end and the aged Lord Tully beginning to tire, he gestured for Jon to continue.

[OOC: this will be brief as we're on to Day 3, so feel free to make your case!]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2: Late Afternoon] Fishy Business (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Sun May 03, 2015 12:09 am

The old man has a point, Jon thought, as he laughed politely along with the rest of the court.

"
My lord, Lord Brom certainly knew how to find joy in his service, but I am sure you remember that he also never forgot the value of good service. I see many here this evening who have spent long, pleasant hours at Hart House, partaking of the generous hospitality that Brom was always happy to extend. I know too, that Brom never hesitated to open his doors when asked - or commanded - to provide...sanctuary...to those in need. These are all fine traditions that have benefited many more than just House Bartheld, and I am confident that I am not alone here in wishing to see them continued."

"
Sadly, I do not believe that Davain Bartheld is the right man to uphold these traditions, and I know that there are many in House Bartheld that share my concerns. Young Davain is certainly a man of many virtues, but from what I have seen he does not approve of House Bartheld's traditions of hospitality at all. He would rather remake House Bartheld in his own image than build on the policies that Brom instituted and that have made House Bartheld such a valuable asset to the Riverlands."

"
Some might say that, since Brom named Davain his heir, this must also be what Brom wished, but I am not among them. I know that Brom was proud of the house he had built, and proud of its reputation for generosity and hospitality. Unfortunately, the Brom I know is also incorrigibly impulsive, and never one to delay when he sees something he truly wants. Frankly my lord, I don't believe that Lord Brom put much thought at all into who he would name his heir before he left Hart House, and had I known then that Davain was to be his heir, I would have counseled him against it. Not because I disapprove of Davain himself, but simply because I believe that his personal inclinations conflict with the very soul of House Bartheld."

"
Fortunately, there is one man within House Bartheld who has both the will and the competence to uphold the family traditions - Brom's son Ser Fendrel Bartheld. My lord, opposing the will of his father is not a step he takes lightly, but Ser Fendrel and the many members of the house who support him do so out of respect for what Brom built, not out of personal pride or ambition. Sadly, their hands are tied as long as Davain maintains his claim that he is the rightful lord of the house."

"
As you can tell, I too believe that Ser Fendrel is a better choice to lead House Bartheld than young Davain. My lord Tully, you are the liege lord of House Bartheld - I beseech you to use your influence with the Barthelds to help convince Davain to retract his claim and allow Ser Fendrel to take command of the house. It is the only way to ensure that House Bartheld remains such a uniquely useful vassal."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 11:21 am

"
Fine words Ser Jon. You speak as well as you fought in that folly on the Stepstones, if the singers are to believed."

"
Vassals should be of service as well as call on their lord for support. The ties between lord and subject run to ways - the lord supports, the subject serves."

"
Brom's antics have brought shame upon the Riverlad, but Bartheld hospitality has erased such marks in the past. If Ser Fendrel can provide material resources for grand festivities at Riverrun and Hart House to underline his credentials then I shall set my maesters to review precedent, lineages and lend my voice. If Davain's conduct is unsuitable as a Bartheld perhaps he is no Bartheld at all."

A gasp goes up from some untutored courtiers, and Lord Tully swiftly qualifies himself.

"
A fear this is what braggarts and opponents may say of Davain, I shall have the matter thoroughly investigated."

He puffs himself up in his throne.

"
House Tully carries influence in these matters."

[OOC: Fourpoints of wealth for a vote please. Intrigue can knock it to three, losing gets Lord Tully a fifth point of wealth. Only one point refundable if Fendrel doesn't win.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sun May 03, 2015 4:24 pm

OOC: The old man sure knows how to gouge his vassals, eh? Since we're trying to keep this short, I guess playing out the intrigue is out of the question? (And even so, Gorman is probably an intrigue machine, right?)

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

After the back and forth of negotiations, Lord Tully seems satisfied to put his weight behind Ser Fendrel's claim, promising to investigate Davain Bartheld's heritage and precedent - "
for all know Bartheld parties can be wild indeed, and his parents have sadly departed us."

There are further gasps at the court over Lord Tully's thinly veiled demand for coin in exchange for casting doubts over a dead woman's honour, but none present speak up at first. Politics is a grim business, and fear and the lack of opportunity to gain keeps those present quiet.

[OOC: done for three points of wealth and a favour - please mark the favour on your character sheet]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down