Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed) Empty [Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Clad all in dark red and black, and standing a head taller than most other men at the ball, Jon cuts quite a dashing figure as he whirls across the dance floor. As the latest waltz comes to a close, he steps over to a sideboard to pick up a goblet of wine. As he refreshes himself, his eyes alight on a raven-haired young beauty clad all in silver and black, sitting off to the side of the dance floor.

Well, no time like the present to test the waters. Let's see if she's still interested in what Isobel had to say...

"
Lady Corrine - or should I say Lady Marsten - how fare you this evening?"
Jon says, greeting Corrine with an elegant bow.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

[Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed) Empty Re: [Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-clo

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:52 am

Corrine smiles warmly at Jon, and stands to curtsey.

"
Ser Jon! A pleasure to see you again. I am very well, thank you. And yourself?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed) Empty Re: [Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-clo

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 am

"
I am at a grand ball with a surfeit of lovely dance partners all around, and my head is still attached to my neck despite this morning's...unpleasantness. Couldn't be better, my lady!"
Jon grins wolfishly. "
Speaking of dancing, would you do me the honor of this one, or is Ser Benedict the only man to enjoy your company on the dance floor these days?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Corrine gives Jon a coy look, a little laugh escaping her lips.

"
I believe dancing with people other than one's betrothed is socially acceptable, Ser. I would be happy to accept."

She holds out her hand for him to take and allows herself to be guided to whichever spot among the dancers he desires.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Jon guides Corrine onto the dance floor, where they join in an ongoing circle dance. As they dance, Jon continues to make small talk.

"
Did my lady enjoy the masked ball yesterday evening?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:33 pm

"
I did, very much,"
Corrine replies, deftly following the dance steps, maintaining a congenial smile.

I enjoyed one bit in particular.

"
House Bartheld certainly knows how to host an entertaining party. Did you enjoy it too?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:32 am

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:"
I did, very much,"
Corrine replies, deftly following the dance steps, maintaining a congenial smile.
"
Davain and Ser Fendrel will be very pleased to hear it. Hospitality and largesse are proud Bartheld traditions."

House Bartheld certainly knows how to host an entertaining party. Did you enjoy it too?"
"
I did, my lady! I danced, I drank, I made merry. I spoke of charity with a fat fool, scared a salmon man witless, and debated martial matters with a knight in bedsheets. I met a most charming eagle and was able - I hope - to remind the Mother herself of happier days. All in all, I would say it was time very well spent."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 am

"
How cryptic!"
Corrine exclaims jestingly. "
But I think I recognise most of those. I am glad that you too had fun. Regarding the Mother, did you, by any chance, consider my request?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:23 pm

"
Well it would be in poor taste if I gave away the identities of everyone I met at the ball, wouldn't it? It was a masked ball, after all, so it's the prerogative of the individual guests if they wish to make their presence known - before or after,"
Jon answers with a wink.

"
The Mother and I spoke of many things, including your request, so I dearly hope that she was your mother, or we're all going to be very embarrassed soon!"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 pm

"
Goodness!"
Corrine laughs. "
Now there's a thought! Let's assume that she was, for our own sanity. Were you able to soothe her at all?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:54 pm

"
I believe that I was at least able to awaken the notion in her that a marriage for love may have a value all of its own,"
Jon replies with a warm smile.

"
Speaking of your mother, I have a question for you, if my lady isn't averse to speaking of house matters in the middle of a dance?"

OOC: Well...with Reader currently AWOL, I can't really say how Isobel will take my bringing up your betrothal to Ben, so the above is about as specific as I think I can get.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm

[ooc: No problem]

"
I would be happy to discuss House matters, Ser,"
Corrine replies congenially. "
I like to think myself approachable. What is on your mind?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I would be happy to discuss House matters, Ser,"
Corrine replies congenially. "
I like to think myself approachable. What is on your mind?"
"
That's most gracious of you, my lady. No doubt you've heard of Lord Brom's departure from House Bartheld, and the subsequent disagreement between his son Ser Fendrel and his grandson Davain over who should succeed him? This disagreement has caused both Ser Fendrel and Davain to seek the support of many guests here at the tourney, in an attempt to strengthen their positions. In the process, bargains have been struck and promises made, but now it seems that Ser Fendrel and Davain may be coming to their senses, and that the matter will soon be settled amicably. One of the people Ser Fendrel approached was your own Ser Baelon, who agreed to support him in return for House Bartheld providing troops for House Marsten's campaign against the mountain clans. Has Ser Baelon spoken to you of this?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:28 pm

"
He has,"
Corrine begins. "
As has Ser Fendrel, and a representative of Davain. I have nor ruled out support for either of them, as they each have merits that bear consideration. While, as Brom's son, Fendrel has the better claim, and is aligned with House Marsten's... shall we say, broader politics. Davain, however, seems to have a more sensible plan for conducting future House business. After all, infamous parties do not make a stable House."

Her tone is tactful, cautious, and her piercing blue eyes watch Jon's face as she speaks.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 pm

"
Indeed they do not, my lady. So it is fortunate that revels alone have never been the only strength of House Bartheld - no matter what Davain or his...representative...may have told you. And it is even more fortunate that I no longer find myself in a position where I must convince you of the truth of these words,"
Jon replies in a tone so carefully neutral, that it is obvious that he is actively restraining himself from saying any more.

"
As I was saying, since it now seems that neither Davain nor Ser Fendrel will be in need of the endorsement of their peers, that puts House Bartheld in a rather awkward position. Promises were made in return for the support offered to either candidate, but it is no fault of those who offered their support that their backing is no longer required. Now, I think both Ser Fendrel and Davain would agree that it would reflect poorly on their house, should they suddenly renege on all their agreements due to changing circumstances, so in principle the offer of contributing soldiers to your campaign stands firm. However, in light of the altered circumstances, on behalf of House Bartheld I should like to suggest a renegotiation of the terms under which the soldiers shall be provided. Would this be acceptable to you, my lady?"

Last edited by 117 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:27 pm

"
I am glad that Ser Fendrel and Davain have resolved their differences,"
Corrine replies. "
If you have the authority to renegotiate for House Bartheld, I would be willing to do so."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:00 pm

"
I have all the authority I need, my lady,"
Jon answers reassuringly. "
The fact is that the suggestion I wish to make is something I have previously discussed with your mother, and that she has already agreed to in principle."

"
As you are no doubt aware, Lord Brom's abdication from his duties did not sit well with His Grace, the king. In fact, his displeasure is such that Brom cannot return home without risking bringing down the king's ire on all of House Bartheld, and this is a situation which both Ser Fendrel and Davain would like to see rectified. Fortunately, we have received word that the king is prepared to forgive Brom, if enough noble houses will publicly support a petition to pardon him."

"
Your mother agreed to throw the weight of House Marsten behind such a petition, but wished to bring it before her council first. Now I hear that you have stepped into your inheritance and would therefore ask that you upold your mother's promise of aid for Brom. In return, the Barthelds will supply the troops that were first offered in return for Ser Baelon's support for Ser Fendrel, and of course House Marsten will also have the gratitude of House Bartheld. Are these terms acceptable?"

Last edited by 117 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Corrine smiles tactfully;

"
I am glad thst House Bartheld still desires friendship with House Marsten. However, you must understand that I am in a period of transition. Although we would be basing a new agreement on an old one, I must give the matter proper consideration as though it were new. After all, I was not party to my mother's original negotiations. I must confirm with her precisely what she agreed to, and check that your claim of the King's willingness to accept a petition is true. Though I do not necessarily believe you to be false in this matter, I must be seen to be prudent. I must also consult my council. I could give you an answer tomorrow, after I have conducted these meetings."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Casually ignoring Corinne's veiled insult to his knightly honor, Jon replies, "
I am given to understand that prudence is a virtue, my lady. Take the time you need to consult your council, but when you do, I beg you to remember that fidelity is a virtue of equal importance to prudence for a great leader. And remember too, the price House Marsten has asked for its support in House Bartheld's affairs - that they should send their young men to fight and die for you, far from their families and friends, battling a foe which generations of the Vale's finest warriors have failed to bring to heel. It is no small thing that House Marsten asks of my friends, my lady, but I know that it is a price they will willingly pay for true and constant friends."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 am

Corrine raises an eyebrow warily, her tone growing terse, and her movement in the dance becoming ever so slightly more forceful;

"
Fidelity? You are the one looking to renegotiate, Ser. You make no secret of being a sellsword. And, as I understand it, the troops on offer from House Bartheld will also be sellswords. Hardly a group of people known for fidelity. They do what they are paid for. I am not so naïve as to believe they will fight the clans out of the goodness of their hearts, so I would suggest that you do not equate them with House Marsten's loyal bannermen."

She fixes him with a purposeful look, her blue eyes piercing.

Just because you are bigger than me does not mean you can push me around, Wrecker.

"
I appreciate that you want to help House Bartheld, Ser, but I'm afraid that you are not in a position to force my hand, or lecture me about fidelity. I may not be a seasoned leader, but I do know its meaning and value. My mother taught me its importance. Fidelity is important to her. And to my dear cousin, Dyana."

Her eyes have an expression of challenge to them.

Yes, I know what you've been up to.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Corrine raises an eyebrow warily, her tone growing terse, and her movement in the dance becoming ever so slightly more forceful;

"
Fidelity? You are the one looking to renegotiate, Ser. You make no secret of being a sellsword. And, as I understand it, the troops on offer from House Bartheld will also be sellswords. Hardly a group of people known for fidelity. They do what they are paid for. I am not so naïve as to believe they will fight the clans out of the goodness of their hearts, so I would suggest that you do not equate them with House Marsten's loyal bannermen."

She fixes him with a purposeful look, her blue eyes piercing.

Just because you are bigger than me does not mean you can push me around, Wrecker.
Ah, there it is, the Marsten steel. Or petulant stubbornness, as Isobel might say, Jon thinks, smiling to himself. Neither his expression nor his dancing betray any overt irritation at Corinne's challenge.

"
Firstly, my lady, the exact composition of the troops House Bartheld will provide is yet to be determined, but mercenaries are certainly an option. Secondly, fidelity comes in many forms, but it is never free. It must be bought and paid for, whether with coin and favors or patronage and support. Your banner houses owe their position to House Marsten, and in return they aid your family with financial and military support, but for how long do you think they will remain loyal if you do not also see to their needs by providing protection, support and aid in times of trouble? The only difference is that with a mercenary, the trade is much more obvious - loyalty for coin. And do not deceive yourself - any mercenary worth his salt also knows that once bought, he must stay bought, or he will be labeled a turncoat and work will soon be exceedingly thin on the ground."

I appreciate that you want to help House Bartheld, Ser, but I'm afraid that you are not in a position to force my hand, or lecture me about fidelity. I may not be a seasoned leader, but I do know its meaning and value. My mother taught me its importance. Fidelity is important to her. And to my dear cousin, Dyana."

Her eyes have an expression of challenge to them.

Yes, I know what you've been up to.
"
I am not trying to lecture you or to force your hand, Lady Corinne, I sought only to appeal to your generosity. Surely you see that, if a house becomes known for squeezing every advantage it can for itself out of an agreement, then that will not engender loyalty in those whom they wish to do business with. Conversely, by allowing House Bartheld to replace one request for support with another at the same price as before, House Marsten would be showing generosity and nobility in spirit that all but the most callous of your peers will applaud."

"
And I am glad to hear that your mother and cousin value fidelity so highly, for then we are of one mind. Is there any particular reason you are bringing up your cousin in this discussion?"
Jon asks with seeming innocence.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Her eyes narrowed a little, not amused by his attempt to play innocent.

"
Very well, Ser. You leave me no choice but to be direct. You know very well why I mentioned her. Did you think nobody would find out you have been trying to court her and my mother simultaneously? Terribly ungallant. Why should I do a deal with a man who has proven himself inconstant by leading on two people I care for? In fact, why should I not tell my mother of your behaviour right now? It would pain me to upset her, but surely better than the heartbreak you would inevitably cause her."

Her passive look was now a glare.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Her eyes narrowed a little, not amused by his attempt to play innocent.

"
Very well, Ser. You leave me no choice but to be direct. You know very well why I mentioned her. Did you think nobody would find out you have been trying to court her and my mother simultaneously? Terribly ungallant. Why should I do a deal with a man who has proven himself inconstant by leading on two people I care for? In fact, why should I not tell my mother of your behaviour right now? It would pain me to upset her, but surely better than the heartbreak you would inevitably cause her."

Her passive look was now a glare.
"
Directness has much to recommend it, my lady, I find it most useful in clearing the air,"
Jon replies with a kindly smile. "
Truth be told, I would have been very surprised if rumors of my evil doings had not reached your ears, considering I have made little attempt to conceal them."

"
It is true that I look upon your mother with great fondness, and I find her very pleasant company, but that is all there is to it. I have offered her my support and friendship in what appears to be a difficult time for her, but to say that I am courting her is reading too much into the situation. Indeed, your mother has given me no indication that she wishes to be courted, and I would not presume to do so without her consent. But courting or no, I will certainly do what I can to raise her spirits in any way she asks."

"
As for your lovely cousin, I freely admit that she has caught my eye, but if you want to know more than that, I suggest you ask her. Suffice to say that I have made my intentions plain to her, and if she wishes, she is certainly free to speak to you of them. However, I suppose your next move will depend on whether you believe anything I have just told you,"
Jon winks.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 pm

His wink did not placate her.

You think this is idle banter?! A game?! You arrogant arse!

"
Whether or not you intended to, you have encouraged my mother's affections. I do not think she sees it as merely friendship. Regardless of what occurs between Houses Marsten and Bartheld, you had best be unambiguous with her, lest you lead her in a fool's paradise. She has already lost too many loved ones. If you add to her sorrow in any way, you will answer to me,"
Corrine warns firmly, her tone cold. "
As for Dyana, she may have caught your eye, something I hardly think difficult for a man who resides in a brothel, but you have not caught hers. Similarly to hurting my mother, I sincerely hope I do not find you harrassing her if she rebuffs you. Your sudden interest in my family concerns me, Jon Cobb, and I will be making no deals at all until I am satisfied that I am not letting an unsuitable influence into our fold."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:12 pm

What a pity. No sense of humor, this one. Poor Ben, he's in for a rude awakening the day he disappoints her...

"
I am sorry to hear that you I disappoint you so, my lady, but your mother and Dyana are both grown women, and more than capable of making their own decisions in matters of friendship as well as of the heart. It goes without saying that I will abide by whatever decisions they make."
Jon's tone is civil, if a bit curt, as if Corinne's continued hostility were beginning to grate on him.

"
As for my choice of domicile, I chose that because the beds are soft, the company pleasant, and the food isn't too bad either. I chose it before I ever met your mother or your cousin, and neither of them has expressed nearly as much worry about where I'm staying as you do. May I ask what is it that disturbs you so much about the Painted World?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

[Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed) Empty Re: [Day 7: Late Evening] Business Before Pleasure (Semi-closed)

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next