Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed]

2 posters

Go down

[Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed] Empty [Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed]

Post by Loreia Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Crisp winter chills the spring air, irritating Loreia's eyes as she marches toward the market. When Badger gallops to her side, she turns on her heel.

"
Go on, get back to camp."
Her voice trembles with fury as she points. The dog is not smart enough to understand immediately that she is angry, but he obeys all the same. She's not even sure where she's going. Somewhat blind, she brushes against Gwyneth roughly, barely noticing her out of the corner of her eye.

"
Lovely day for it, Gwyneth. How's ser One-Eye? He still upset with you for hurtin' his chances against your true love in the trial? Or is it the frail Red priest who's got you wrapped 'round his finger?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

[Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed] Empty Re: [Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed]

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 am

On her way to market to buy a few things for the ball, or at least to see if they have anything tempting for it, Gwyn hears Loreia behind her but is still taken by surprise when the Coldbrook warrior elbows her aside, then speaks scornful words in passing.

What in the name of the Seven has gotten into HER?

"
Red priest? You mean Yoren?"
Gwyn's laugh is incredulous. "
I've spoken to him all of two times, and the second was to put him on the spot over his sermon. And 'one eye'...oh of course. The other one, Athelsten. As far as I know he was never upset with me, but since I haven't so much as laid eyes on him since his trial, I couldn't be sure."

"
No, of all the people I know, it seems you're the only one who's upset with me. And I'm rather bewildered as to why."

She tilted her head a little, studying Loreia. "
Why don't you slow down a bit and let me catch up. If it pleases you, I could promise to step ahead so you can shove me out of the way again?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed] Empty Re: [Day 7, EA] Duties of a different stripe [Closed]

Post by Loreia Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:40 am

Gwyneth's composed reaction and deconstruction of the insult thrown at her caught Loreia off guard, setting her up for an inquiry that reigned in her unfocused ire. A glimmer of remorse strikes her eyes and lingers there.

"
No, that won't be necessary - m'lady. I shouldn't have snapped. I'm just...I learned some awful news just a while ago."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:07 am

"
Hm."
Gwyn's expression softened a bit, and she looked away briefly. "
Well. You have my sympathy then."

She nodded, appearing to reach a decision on some unspoken question, and came forward to meet Loreia.

"
Walk with me. I'm going to the market. Nothing takes one's mind off their troubles like a little shopping. What's happened anyway? I never thought to see you this upset."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:01 am

"
Thank you,"
she nods, measuring her steps as they go. "
What happened? I didn't want to throw my problems on you, but since you're askin'. Daveth's lost his senses!"

She launches into a tirade, seizing the chance to pour out to someone, anyone.

"
He wants to be the next Lord Coldbrook. We both agreed it should be Garret, we talked about it for months! And then sometime in the past week, Jorah puts the idea in his head that a lord doesn't have to be a strong warrior, or a great leader,"
she mocks with contempt. "
I can't even believe those two!"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

"
Ahhh...so that's it then,"
Gwyn says. "
And you disagree. I can see how that might be frustrating for you, though if you don't mind me saying...you seem to be taking it very hard. Very...personally, in fact. Is there anything else about this that upsets you?"

She pauses, then prods, "
Do you feel, perhaps, that Garret is being treated unfairly?"
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

The suggestion is baffling to Loreia. "
If only that were possible. Apart from his trainin', Garret does whatever he likes...as did Joren. Daveth on the other hand..."

"
He never had the ambition before. I don't see why he wants this suddenly,"
she confesses, genuinely guessing. "
Because Garret doesn't have the mind for the games played by nobles? That's what the small council is for. A lord needs to lead and fight, smarts come second. If he thinks he can serve the house better as the lord than he would as an advisor, he really is mistaken."

Her eyes squint without blinking, drying against the breeze. "
But it's worse. He already has the support of the small council, the guard captain, and Jorah. They're goin' to hold a meet tomorrow."

[url=Initiative][/url]: 3d6 9
Goal: Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son.
Disposition: Amiable
Defense: 8
Composure: 12
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:59 pm

"
Hmm,"
Gwyn temporizes as she chooses her angle in this conversation. She hadn't realized Loreia was so vehemently anti-Daveth. "
So...he has the support of the entire small council. And his brother. And several other Houses. But you're certain that all those people are wrong about him? You listen to Jorah in other matters, yes?"

Her tone is gentle, a request for information rather than an open attempt to confront.

Init: 22 [url=Status for intrigue intiative (vs Loreia)][/url]: 4d6 22
Defense: 11

Move: Read Target (Awareness: Empathy) 23 [url=Awareness (Empathy) Read target vs Loreia][/url]: 6d6k4 23
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:40 pm

OOC: I suppose I shouldn't jump the gun on disposition. That's what 'Read Target' would tell you anyway.
*Result: +!D to Persuasion and Deception. And for getting 3 DoS, I'm going give you this as if it were also an awareness vs passive check: Daveth's disposition toward her is lowered(this was obvious to Loreia), and she is unhappy about that as well, but not angry. Although she is still angry with him.*

Loreia hesitates, and a hint of uncertainty in her brow betrays her quizzical thoughts. "
When we have time to discuss matters, I s'pose I do. He's a true knight and a good man, but he doesn't steer my thoughts. I obey his orders, not his advice. About the others, I'd say they aren't wrong about him, just...wrong to choose him 'stead of Garret."

Defense: 8

Action: [url=read target][/url]: 4d6k3 16 + 1(Amiable) = 17
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Ah ha.

"
I suppose it must seem as if Daveth would neglect the military side of things,"
she muses aloud. "
Maybe that he doesn't appreciate the men, and women, at arms that House Coldbrook has so successfully cultivated."
Gwyn pauses a little to let that air out for a moment, then says, "
I've spoken quite a lot with Daveth over the tourney though, and I know that's not true of him. He values the soldiers a great deal. When he was negotiating with me over the agreement between Coldbrook and Marsten, he argued very eloquently on how they were to be deployed, and led, and what precautions would be taken to make sure as many made it back as possible. Not because he holds the purse strings, but because he knows them as people, and feels responsible for them."

She looks at Loreia measuringly. "
That's also why he would have Garret at his side, commanding the forces of Coldbrook. Imagine the best of both worlds. Garret's military acumen directing the troops, and Daveth's fine mind for finance and diplomacy ensuring the House's standing in the great game? This is an exciting time for House Coldbrook. I could almost wish to be part of it myself."

Somehow she managed to keep from smirking at that last.

[url=Persuasion (Convince) vs Loreia (+1D)][/url]: 5d6 17

[url=Hotness Reroll for Loreia intrigue][/url]: 2d6 10

Subtracting the two 1's, and subbing in the rerolls, that gives me 25. SUBMIT TO THE HOTNESS.
4 DOS, and 4 influence per DOS. 16 total, sans your DR.

Defense 11
Composure 12
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:35 pm

My one weakness!

"
I...guess it might be, when change offsets the...loss of assurance,"
she stutters, stumbling over the point.

Hearing about Daveth being eloquent about troop deployment was unexpected. "
He leads the men and he leads the board room"
is not new to Loreia, but having it sold to her - rather sweetly - by an intelligent, young noble girl forces her to reconsider. It's quite humbling, but it doesn't mix well with her frustration. Why shouldn't that work? They're practically twins, it'd be like having two lords. She also considers that this saves them from the cost and run-around of getting Garret legitimized. Why didn't she just agree with Garret? He wants to be the heir, so it's different. It's a sloppy correction, but one she feels has enough merit.

"
I need some time to think about it, but thank you for listening, Gwyneth,"
she quickens. "
I'm sorry for botherin' you."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Gwyneth laughed warmly and reached out to give Loreia's shoulder a chummy squeeze.

"
Oh, you're no bother, Loreia. You remind me a little of my sister, actually. Strong and brave and skilled. Any time you want to talk about something, please feel free to come by and chat."

"
But on that note, I'd better hurry on now. Good bye for now!"

She waved and stepped up her pace, leaving Loreia behind on her way to wherever she was off to.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down