Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed) Empty [D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Baelon approached Dyana's tent a few hours after the feast.
I hope she is in a relatively settled state of mind. These last few days could not have been easy on her, especially Jon's death.

"
Lady Dyana, may we speak?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed) Empty Re: [D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed)

Post by Dyana Marsten Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Dyana seems to have roused from rest not long before Baelon's arrival, and is half-sitting at her mattress when he is allowed in.

"
Ser Baelon."
She greets him with a nod and an attempt at a playful smile, settling herself some more, though not standing up to talk to him. "
You gave me quite a beating earlier today. I fear you have earned the right to speak your mind."

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed) Empty Re: [D8:LE] Warrior to Warrior (closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:14 pm

"
I hope I don't have to beat you every time I wish to speak my mind."

He says with a smile.

"
I'll get right to the point and let you get back to your rest. I'm sure you have heard that Gwyn and I are to be married, in a joint ceremony with Corrine and Ben. you may have also heard that we are leaving House Marsten to found a new house in service to Lord Tomas Coldbrook. However, the land is we would be holding is, from what I understand, overrun with bandits. Before that I believe it was held by the Darry zealots that we fought yesterday morning."

He pauses, searching for the best phrasing.

"
I want you to come with us. I need skilled and trustworthy warriors to help me claim it and hold it. You are both. Indeed, my victory today was more chance than skill. Had Ser Florian come after me rather than you, I suspect you would have been victorious in the end, not I."

Not that I would openly admit it in public, but Dyana is probably a better warrior than me. For now, at least.

"
I don't just want your sword-arm, though. I am concerned that Gwyn will feel isolated and distant from her friends and family. Furthermore, there will be times that I will have to leave Gwyn alone - when I am out in the field, for instance - and I fear that someone may try to harm me by targeting her. I would like you to serve as her sworn shield. There is nobody I can think of that is more qualified for that position than you."

He pauses for a moment to let that sink in.

"
I know that this is a big decision, that I am asking you to leave your home and your men - those we can't convince to come with us, at least. I'll understand if you decline. Take some time to think about it, if you need it. We'll be here until the wedding, and I'm not sure when precisely we would be leaving to establish the new house. Oh, and I haven't talked to Gwyn about this yet. Really, it just occurred to me this afternoon - around the time that we were beating on each other."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Baelon wrote:"
I hope I don't have to beat you every time I wish to speak my mind."

He says with a smile.
"
Well, I must agree with you there. All of me."
She says with a light grimace.

Baelon wrote:"
I'll get right to the point and let you get back to your rest.

~snip~

Really, it just occurred to me this afternoon - around the time that we were beating on each other."

Dyana shakes her head a bit, half-grinning to herself. "
Eh, I knew it. It wouldn't all, just..."
She gestures speculatively. "
...simply work out, now would it? There's always. Always a catch."
She licks her lips, takes a deep breath, and looks up at Baelon.

"
I thank you for your offer, Ser, but I must say it isn't such a difficult choice. It all rests on circumstance. Because, you see, it is not leaving my home behind, or my men that makes this choice any difficult. The latter is of little importance, for I have men that would come with me to wherever I see fit, and those are the only ones that matter. The rest will be put to good work on Marsten lands regardless of my presence - under Ser Kevan Lyras's capable hands, I presume.

"
And for home, I must say I would... appreciate the opportunity to leave. I am like my father in this regard, but my duties have kept me true to my roots for a longer time than I'd imagine they would. What is painful for me to leave behind, Ser Baelon, is the people. The people I've been fighting for for almost ten years now, since I was barely more than a girl. And just like Gwyn, they aren't safe. That is the hard choice you put on my hands, for I already am my sister's sworn shield - but also Corrine's, and Lady Isobel's, and so many others. It may be presumptuous of me, Ser, and I do not mean to diminish the hard work of others on this cause, such as Ser Markus, but I like to think of myself as the ward of my House.

"
But your offer is not strange to my ears. If Daveth has his way, he'll be heir and whisk me off to his lands as well, to become Lady Coldbrook one day. Not that I've compromised to him, or have a mind to at this moment, or that the matter of his inheritance is clear and decided... but it's a thought on my mind, yes? But I can't leave, not while the raids hold. I won't be true to my word if I sit with Gwyn at a keep, on the chance that some band of ruffians will grow bold and attack the family of a man with royal blood."
She twitches her nose, giving a significant glance at his hair. "
Not while my home is under certain threat, Ser. Only when we have beaten back the mountain clans will I find such respite as to leave, and take men with me.

"
I'm afraid there is not much to think about. With the ongoing raids, I must stay put. If we were, somehow, able to push them back on a more definitive manner... I'd have a mind to take you up on your offer."
With a pained shrug, Dyana smiles feebly at Baelon.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:13 am

Dyana Marsten wrote:...But I can't leave, not while the raids hold. I won't be true to my word if I sit with Gwyn at a keep, on the chance that some band of ruffians will grow bold and attack the family of a man with royal blood."
She twitches her nose, giving a significant glance at his hair. "
Not while my home is under certain threat, Ser. Only when we have beaten back the mountain clans will I find such respite as to leave, and take men with me.
Baelon nods.

Dyana Marsten wrote:"
I'm afraid there is not much to think about. With the ongoing raids, I must stay put. If we were, somehow, able to push them back on a more definitive manner... I'd have a mind to take you up on your offer."
With a pained shrug, Dyana smiles feebly at Baelon.

"
A good and respectable answer. That is the exact sort of loyalty and sense of duty that I am looking for. My intent is to protect Gwyn, not leave others in peril. As you know, I and others in House Marsten have made various arrangements with other houses specifically to raise a strong force against the clans. If possible, I will be there with forces from my new house as well. It is my hope that we will be able to eliminate the threat of the clans for many years to come. Perhaps then you would feel that Corrine and Lady Isobel would be safe enough for you to join us."

"
As for the position itself, I had intended something along the lines of a personal protector. Something like a Kingsguard, but without the vows. However, that is negotiable. I will certainly need a master of arms and skilled commanders as well."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Dyana nods. "
If it comes to that, I find it acceptable, though I have no great need of titles for accompanying my sister into her settling. My vows to her have already been made."
Her smile softens a bit, as if disappearing, and her eyes lose themselves on Baelon for a moment, musing.

"
It makes me happy to see her go forth to such ambitious plans with you, Ser Baelon. It makes me happy that she has found you. I'd only ask that you treat her kindly, now and always. Gwyn is cunning, and she can take care of herself, but she's only a girl, you know. A precious girl, and a rapidly growing one, but still..."

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:00 pm

"
'Only a girl'? I find that an odd turn of phrase coming from you. Still, I take your meaning. I truly wish to make Gwyn happy. That's part of why I'm here. I think it would make Gwyn happy for you to join us - in whatever capacity that may end up being."

He smiles, and takes a mock-serious tone.
"
Title or no, there will be plenty of work to be done and I would need you to be contribute on that front, and not just keep Gwyn company."

He smile slips toward wryness, but his voice losing the mocking tone.
"
Are you sure you wouldn't want a title? In this era of challenges to tradition, I could dub you the first woman knight... what you have between your legs doesn't seem to have much to do with the rest of it. You'd be a better knight than many - perhaps even most - of the men to bear that designation."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

"
An odd turn of phrase? I... she's my little sister. She has much to learn yet. Not that I don't."
Dyana lets out a dry, self-mocking chuckle, and shrugs.

"
Helping you establish sounds, to me, as rewarding work. Title or no title, as you say. Now, making me a woman knight...? That'd be a bold move, you know that. Though, I suppose you can't get much more black than you already are."
She chuckles again, seeming to find everything funny in some deep level. "
I'd be Ser Dyana Marsten? It sounds so odd, doesn't it?

"
Well, aside that, you do me honor, Ser Baelon. I appreciate your offer and your words. I shall join you if - no, when my situation is resolved. You have my word."

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 pm

"
I can't in good faith ask for anything more. I look forward to fighting with you - as allies, not opponents - in the future."

[/scene unless Dyana has anything more to add]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:11 am

[/scene Smile ]

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down