Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed) Empty [D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 am

Corrine and Ben await Nathan's arrival in Corrine's tent, Corrine also sending for a pitcher of pear juice and a small tray of almonds &
dried apricots. She sits in a chair, next to Ben, positioned to see out of the open tent flap, nibbling and sipping delicately.

"
I hope we have judged him rightly,"
she utters quietly, her eyes a little anxious.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9, MA] New Management (Closed) Empty Re: [D9, MA] New Management (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 am

Nathan arrives on time, dressed edging on the casual side in a white linen shirt, open at the neck, black jacket and pants. His pale skin is always so scrupulously clean that he must bathe every day when possible. An unusual practice.

He gives Corrine a bright smile and accepts a glass of pear juice from the servant, giving her a smile as well.

"
My Lady."
he says, sitting, "
How is Lady Isobel? I hope she has recovered from her discomfort of yesterday."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 am

"
She seems better now, yes,"
Corrine replies, gesturing for Nathan to sit. "
Thank you for your assistance. It can be so frustrating when one does not alone possess the power to help a loved one in distress. I trust you are well. Last night was rather fraught, to say the least."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:34 am

"
Yes. You would think after a week of hitting each other with swords and knocking each other off horses they would have had enough. Still, all situations, even unfortunate ones, can be useful. I am sure you noticed, as I did, those that tried to calm the situation and those that tried to inflame it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:39 am

"
Up to a point, yes. I was unlucky enough to sustain an injury, after which my ability to focus was rather curtailed. I'm alright, but it meant I was not as much of an assist to calming the fray than I'd have liked. Such a senseless fight. Anx I fear that it may rear its ugly head again."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 am

Ben nods politely and smiles to Nathan. Then sits quietly while the two discuss Isobel and her recent loss. His concern evident when the conversation turns to the previous night and Corrine's injury.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 am

Nathan face saddens "
I am sorry, my Lady. I hope it was nothing serious. It is unfortunate, but in such conflicts there are usually innocent casualties."

"
Last night was just a small foreshadowing of what is to come. As a Lady of a respected House, you must be prepared for that. There will be war unless either the Queen or the Princess relinquish their claim, and I don't see either doing that. Unlike other conflicts, there is little room for negotiation;
no potential for compromise or common ground. Only one person may sit on the Iron Throne. I hope King Viserys lives a very long life, because both sides will start in earnest the moment he draws his last breathe and the blood spilled last night will be a drop in the ocean."

Nathan gives Corrine a crooked smile, trying to lighten his words. "
Forgive me my Lady, but I do not envy you and your position. It is lucky you have such devoted and skilled support."
, he says glancing at Ben.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:21 am

"
I fear you are likely right, Nathan, though I thank you for your encouragement. As a new Head of House, I shall need and utilise as much guidance and support as can be had. Which brings me to why I invited you here. I understand that, political leanings aside, your chief concern is peace and stability. I would like to offer you an opportunity to foster that most noble goal, albeit on a smaller scale."

Corrine takes a brief sip of juice to wet her throat, before speaking again;

"
The town which is closest to Hartshorn, Hartsbridge, has a negative influence upon it that I would like to see addressed. The Mayor, one Luke Seldon, is troubling in particular. It is often said that the presence of my lord father was the only thing keeping Seldon honest. I need to assess his suitability as Mayor, as I now take over from my mother, whom he openly criticises. As an astute and discreet individual, with an eye for seeking out discrepancies, we would like you to utilise some of your time at Hartshorn with us to conduct an independent audit of Hartsbridge and Hartshorn. I want to ensure that I start my rule proper with the secure knowledge that I have lands and agents that are honest &
supportive as possible, so that I may make those lands a rock in the coming storm, and protect my people from its ravages. In return for your help, I would extend to you and Ser Jon House Marsten's friendship. You and Jon would be not only welcome in our home, but you would have our protection and advocacy, even when not in our lands. There is also potential for a position on my advisory council to be made available to you. You may find it useful in future to have a friend within the Black faction, or value our friendship &
moral support as a person whose lifestyle many less enlightened in society would shun."

She offers Nathan a restrained but warm smile.

"
So, Nathan, would you like to help us make our part of the world a better place?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:59 am

Nathan pondered the Lady's words for several moments.

"
I do have several questions."

"
Does Mayor Seldon's criticisms of Lady Isobel, however distasteful, have merit?"

"
What authority or power does the man have that he feels secure enough to speak out against his Lord or Lady publicly?"

"
As Mayor, was he chosen by the town citizens, did he inherit the position, or was he appointed by your Lord Father?"

"
Does he have the support of the citizens of Hartsbridge? What would be the effect of his removal be on the community?"

"
Can you be more specific about 'negative influence'? In what way do you suspect Master Seldon is being dishonest or harmful?"

"
How long has the man been suspected of suspicious activity, and why has he not been investigated or removed before this?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Ben nods at each question. "
Honestly Nathan, many of those questions are the ones we seek the answers to."

(OOC:Will answer what I can when I get home later, unless Corrine beats me to it.)
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

[ooc: waiting for the info from Reader. I've done a Memory roll and a Knowledge roll by PM.]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:48 pm

[OOC: Nathan is looking for more specifics of the situation. In most cases, for the man to speak out against Lady Isobel would be enough all on it's own for him to removed from his position at the very least, never mind what dishonest actions he may or may not have taken.

'Negative Influence' is also way too vague. The mayor must have made some actions that raised enough suspicions that require investigation, and if his reputation for dishonesty dates all the back to Lord Marsten, there must be some reason the man has been allowed to remain in the position.

For example, in my other campaign, the Captain of the city guard is extremely corrupt (taking bribes, embezzlement, etc). However he is also very skilled at his job, so the Lord overlooks his transgressions so long as they do not cross any obvious lines and do not bring embarrassment to the House. For him to openly criticize the House or it's Lord, or publicly undermine the Lord's authority would very quickly earn him retirement (in the form of a very long fall off a very tall building).]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 pm

[ooc: It's ok, I know what you're after. I have answers now, just translating them into Corrine's words.]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:07 am

[ooc: Ben, TN Cunning (Memory) and Knowledge (Streetwise) both at TN 9 to add to what Corrine knows.]

Corrine gathers her memories and thoughts, then attempts to address Nathan's questions;

"
I do not believe they have wholly reasonable merit. My mother tries hard, has tried hard, but she wasn't raised an administrator, which has limited her success, and, while people respect her, they don't give her the respect they gave my lord father, on account of her gender."

Corrine's eyes roll, expressing her distaste at that prejudice.

"
He's entrenched, elected by Guild members, so removing him would make things difficult, at least for a while, so I think that makes him feel safe in criticising. He's fairly popular in Hartsbridge and at Hartshorn, thought of as a man who can get things done, though his methods are, at times, questionable. Some claim he has muscle backing him, others say he just has authority and a cunning mind. He's relatively discreet in his criticism, so ousting him publicly may appear an injustice to some who are unaware of it, though there are some who would fully support his removal, including the town smith, Gorton Hare.

He is careful about his underhandedness, though word has gotten out about some of his activities. Several troubling things have arisen in the few years since my lord father's death. It seems that Seldon has steadily increased his corruption, but slowly. I understand that he has had building repairs sped up unsafely, or delayed, as suits the interest of whomever has given him "
facilitation payments"
, so it seems fair to conclude that he is taking bribes, though it extends to more than the building trade. I am told that he has also extorted people seeking market permits. We have no hard evidence yet, but that would be the sort of thing we'd like our auditor to uncover, should it exist."

She sighs heavily;

"
Efforts have been made to investigate and confront him, but winter and bandit raids has left us with limited resources."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:53 am

Nathan's eyes unfocus for some time, seeming to stare blankly into space. Corrine could almost see his mind analyzing the information.

"
I will look into this for you, my Lady."
he finally replied. "
We shall see what can be brought to light."

"
Given his opinions of your mother, it is unlikely that he will hold you in any higher regard, probably much less given your age. This can be used to your advantage. I suggest you act very inexperienced when dealing with him or those he deals with. He will likely underestimate you and that is to be encouraged."

"
Since many of Ser Jon's men are familiar with me and my profession, we cannot lie about me, but we can cast it in a different light. We will say that I am simply accompanying Ser Jon as his bedmate. I will play the fool, and you will be charmed by my engaging personality."
Nathan grinned. "
We will also let it be known that I am exceptionally wealthy, and Ben can spread the rumor that my vast wealth was probably amassed by less then scrupulous means."

"
If he is the opportunist that you claim, he will not be able to resist a less than honorable man with the ear of the new, inexperienced, and impressionable Lady Marsten, or the vast amount of wealth I represent. The man is obviously clever. The best way to catch a clever man is give him opportunities to out-smart himself."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:23 am

Corrine's bright blue eyes light up, pleased with this answer;

"
My goodness, Nathan. You are even more cunning than I thought! I think this plan of yours sounds excellent! Of course, there is the less exciting matter of checking over the general running of Hartshorn and Hartsbridge, but it would perhaps be prudent to see to the Seldon matter first. Easier to plant a new garden when the old ground has been weeded. Would you agree?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:34 am

"
My dear Lady Corrine, you don't need my assistance for an audit. Simply order the Guild council to provide you with a complete assessment of their assets and have your Maester monitor it. Put a hound in the chicken coup and it should stir up the foxes... and don't assume you only have one fox."

"
It would only be natural for you to wish an accurate accounting of your holdings when you take power, and any objections can be met with one of your charming smiles and a blank look. After all, surely your Guild council has nothing to hide."

"
I would also suggest that only the most necessary of repairs or construction take place during the audit. If a large chunk of Seldon's funds depends on building, turning off the tap for an extended period should prove... entertaining. The longer the audit takes, the more frustrated Seldon will become and the more he will search for alternate revenues;
potentially making mistakes. He will want the council to move swiftly, but bureaucracies only move at one painfully tedious speed. His increasing frustration will likely cause discord in the council, which could serve you quite well if it becomes necessary to remove him."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:03 pm

"
I understand. Alas, Hartshorn has no maester, thanks to my mother. I intend to appoint a new one, but it will have to wait until after the campaign against the clans, as that is most pressing on House Marsten's finances. With regards to multiple foxes, the Guilds are parts of my concerns, as it was they who elected Seldon. However, I do not wish to harm the smallfolk and make myself unpopular by scorching the earth, so to speak, removing swathes of officials."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:51 pm

"
If not a Maester, then someone else you trust. Perhaps Edmund Lyras. You seem to trust him and he certainly has the skill. You may invest your authority in anyone you feel can do the job."

"
My Lady, you have every right to demand an accounting of your holdings, and no honest official need fear your scrutiny. As for the removing of officials, that need not be done immediately, or all at once, or at all. Dishonest men can be just as useful as honest ones. You're asking for my assistance, after all."
he grins.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:10 pm

"
I have never perceived ypu as dishonest,"
Corrine replies, with an amused smile, though she looks curiously at him. "
Or is that part of your clever disguise? Need I worry?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:39 pm

"
I usually speak the truth Lady Marsten, but do not mistake that for being honest. I mislead people all the time. It is the very core of my profession to tell people what they want to hear, and I am very good at it.

In order to complete the task you have given me I will need to deceive people... manipulate them into revealing the truth. That is the very definition of dishonesty. The question is not whether I am dishonest. I most definitely am when I need to be. The question is whether you trust me. If you don't trust me, you will worry, whether you need to or not."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:59 pm

"
If I did not think I could trust you, I would not have discussed any of this with you,"
Corrine replies. "
I asked you to carry out this task because, despite our political differences, we both care about the wellbeing of smallfolk, who are most harmed by the schemes of the unscrupulous nobility."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:03 pm

"
I do not say this to put doubt in your mind. I tell you this because in order to deal with unscrupulous people, you will sometimes need unscrupulous people of your own. Leadership is about choices, and sometimes your choices will not be what you might wish."

"
For example, Lady Marsten,"
Nathan gazes at the young woman intently, "
if it turns out Master Seldon is even more harmful than you anticipated, but his position is secure, would you be prepared to remove him by other means... quietly... permanently."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 am

Corrine's eyes widen a moment, then her expression turns thoughtful;

"
I must confess, I had not thought about that eventuality. It is ever my hope and intention that problems can be solved peacefully. However... I believe that, sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and so... I would be willing to do things that are against my principles, in the interests of making things better. I would likely feel a great deal of guilt, but that would be mine to bear, the benefit of the act notwithstanding."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:20 am

"
Peace is always preferable, my Lady, but sometimes not the best option. Ask any Maester and he will tell you that sometimes you must cut out the disease to save the patient. I admit that I asked the question more to hear your answer than in anticipation of it's necessity. I believe there are three key qualities to any effective leader: goodness, intelligence, and ruthlessness. You obviously have the first two in abundance. I simply wanted to know if you were capable of the third."

"
I would advise against guilt. It is an unproductive emotion. The past cannot be changed. So long as you try to make the best decisions you can at the time, there is little point in devoting thought to what might have been. That is a lesson I learned at an exceptionally young age. If I felt guilt over some of the things I have done to survive, I would probably not have survived. Guilt can be an intolerable burden, and often a misdirected one. If it became necessary to kill Master Seldon, you should not feel any guilt. His death would be the consequence of his own actions. You would simply be the instrument of those consequences. If he had led an honest and productive life, I doubt he would have anything to fear from you."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next