Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D2 EE] Whom to trust (closed)

3 posters

Go down

[D2 EE] Whom to trust (closed) Empty [D2 EE] Whom to trust (closed)

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Having returned from a long afternoon in the woods with House Bracken's hunting party, Kevan was sitting at the bar by himself, lost in thoughts over a mug of dark beer.
Only a year ago, I was but a sworn sword without a care in the world...How I miss these times in moments like this...
The trip into the forrests had been time well spent irrespective of his limited skill with a bow. He had been out there on his own for most of the time and it allowed him to gather his thoughts...

He was staring into his mug when the boy he was waiting for entered the inn. Crossing the tap room in the company of Ser Jon, the boy was visibly upset, arguing in a hushed voice with his friend. Ser Jon had put his arm around his young companion trying to calm him down. As the two arrived at the stairs it seemed for a moment as if the boy was to turn around, but with a quick shove Ser Jon ensured that his friend did indeed move up the stairs.

Kevan looked arround, but it seemed like nobody observed the quick exchange between the two, as the taproom was already quite crowded and the beer and wine had been flowing well in the last hours. He waited for a few minutes before he finally put his empty mug on the counter and stood up
He did help Ben as well, so lets see...

He walked up the stairs and knocked on the door of Ser Jon and his companion.
"
Nathaniel? My name is Ser Kevan Lyras..."
he fell silent for a moment "
... I am a Sworn Sword of House Marsten and I would like to talk to you."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

[D2 EE] Whom to trust (closed) Empty Re: [D2 EE] Whom to trust (closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:28 pm

It was Ser Jon that opened the door, but it was Nathan who answered. "
Come in Ser Kevan."

The boy was in the process of removing his scale armor. Now in the confines of the room, Ser Kevan could smell the stench of rot that clung to both of them. Traces of blood on Jon's armor and an obvious weariness due to lack of sleep on Nathan's face told that the pair had had a difficult day.

"
I know you, of course, Ser Kevan, although we have not been formally introduced. I saw you on occasion when I was at House Marsten. I am fond of your Lord and Lady. Are you here on their behalf, and do you require speaking to me alone?"
said Nathan, glancing at Ser Jon.

The Roxton Knight scowled slightly. His look made it clear he had no intention of leaving Nathan alone at the moment, although his reasons probably had nothing to do with Ser Kevan.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Kevan enters and greets Ser Jon with a slight nod.
"
Yes, I have become a more ... visible member of House Marsten in recent months, that is also partly what got me into this mess. I am aware of your relationship with my Liege Lady and her husband. Truth be told, what I know about your connection with them is one of the reasons I decided to come to you with this. I am not here on behalf of my liege, although I am sure what I am looking for is not against their will either."

He quickly looks at the Roxton knight, before continuing. "
I can see that you have a rough day behind you, but I fear what I want to talk to you about cannot wait. I leave it for you to decide, whether Ser Jon should be present or not."

The last sentence was accompanied by another glance at Ser Jon, as Kevan did not want to ask for the knight to leave the room, his armour still bloody, but at the same time it was quite obvious for Nathan that Kevan had hoped to speak with him alone.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 pm

"
It's fine Jon."
said Nathan blithely. "
I promise I won't sneak out to confront Lord Bracken tonight."

The Roxton Knight nodded, gave a slight bow to Ser Kevan and left without hesitation. Nathan always kept his word, once given.

Nathan continued to remove his armor, dropping it on the floor with a clank, and pulled off his heavily sweat stained tunic. Moving to the table, he poured himself a hefty glass of wine. "
Can I offer you a glass of wine, Ser Kevan? It's the best the Green Door has to offer, which is to say it's terrible."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:35 am

"
Yes a glass of wine, I would not oppose. Thank you Nathan"

"
You want to confront Lord Bracken? Regarding the investigation?"
Kevan failed to imagine how this small half naked man had intended to storm into the Warrior's seat and confront the Beast of Bracken, but he said nothing.

"
I Iearned some terrible things myself, especially yesterday and I've been thinking on how to proceed for most of the day. You see, my marriage taints my investigations in the Blackwood colors, whenever I find evidence for a crime dine by House Bracken. But what is more important, it also makes it very hard to make a move against my extended family even if I feel it is necessary."

He opened his coat and took out something to show to Nathan. [pm]
"
I found this at the Warrior's seat. I am sure I don't have to explain you the significance of that item. I visited Raventree Hall to find out who is responsible and I also talked to the current regent of House Blackwood, but I cannot name the culprit..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:26 am

Nathan poured Ser Kevan a glass of water, handed it to the man, then took a long drought of wine.

"
We just came from Blackbuckle where the corpses lay where they fell now a month on. Lord Bracken needs a reminder of his duty both to his people and his Faith."
Nathan's lips pressed together into a weak unpleasant smile. "
Although, perhaps Jon is right and I am not the right courier for that message."

He examined the item for some minutes. "
This is damming, but proves nothing, in and of itself. The Brackens will claim it is a forgery, or that it was planted to incriminate them even if it isn't."

He sat down on the side of the bed and thought for some minutes more. "
I think you do yourself a disservice Ser Kevan. You may actually be in the perfect position to get to the truth. You must test your suspicions. You must set a trap for this man. You must tell him, in confidence, that you have someone willing to sell you incontrovertible evidence of Bracken's complicity in the assassination. With your ties to the Blackwoods, there is little reason the man will not believe you, and given the price your 'informant' will demand, no reason to believe it is not genuine.

If he is a loyal Blackwood, then he would want to obtain this evidence at any cost. If, on the other hand, he is the Bracken spy, he will try and secure the evidence for himself and protect his secret. Tell him of the time and place of your meeting. If people show up and try and kill you, then you will know the truth."

Nathan took another sip of his wine. "
And, if you suspect more then one person, you can tell each of them 'in the strictest confidence' of your meeting, and see which one shows up to kill you."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Kevan took the glass of water with a bit of a puzzled look, as Nathan took a drought from the wine.
He looks like he needs it more than I do

He waited patiently, as Nathan examined the item. It took Kevan a couple of minutes to understand, what Nathan suggested. "
You see, that is why I came to you. I had everything I needed, yet I could not figure out how to identify the man I was looking for. I will leave at once to visit some of my new relatives, informing them about the informant I found."

He emptied the glass of water in one gulp and put the glass back on the small table.

"
Thank you Nathan, for your advice. I will tell you how it turns out, for you will have contributed as much to any potential findings as myself. Oh and if I can help you in any way regarding Blackbuckle or something else, please tell me."

[Kevan's disposition improves]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Nathan noticed the puzzled look, then at the glass, and shook his head. "
I am sorry, Ser Kevan. I seem to be very distracted tonight."
He finished his wine and poured himself another cup, as well as one for Ser Kevan.

"
No need to thank me. By most accounts, Lord Blackwood was a good leader and a wise man who cared about his people. He deserved a better end than he received."
Nathan looked sadly at his glass. "
He did play his part in perpetuating this feud, but he was not alone in that. He is just one of many who have died in this ongoing mess over the last five hundred years. I wonder if anyone today remembers what it was all truly about."

He gazed off into space. "
There is more I can do for you."
he says thoughtfully. "
I will put word out tomorrow that I am seeking your 'informant' and willing to pay a high price for his 'evidence'. My politics are no secret. Your suspect will think that I seek the information to bury it. It will add that much more credibility to the ruse, and if you are very lucky, he may even seek my aid."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:51 pm

A soft smile appeared on Kevan's lips, as Nathan handed him the wine. "
Don't worry, it is me who should apologize, disturbing you at a time, where you'd need time for yourself and with your partner."

He took a sip from the wine. "
They all played their part, Nathan. But to stop a feud that is as old as this one, it is not about punishing every single one of them, but to identify the few individuals who actively work on continuing this unnecessary bloodshed for their personal gain and remove them. I think this is the only way forward..."

"
Getting that rumour out would definitely help. I will try to start early and visit Ser Tyron right now, but it is possible that I have to bait more than one potential game before the trap springs"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Nathan noted Ser Kevan's slip. "
So you believe it is Ser Tyron. Perhaps you are right, but when you speak to him I want you to concentrate on his potential innocence. If you convince yourself he can be trusted, then you will not betray that it is a trap. Consider it a test to prove his innocence rather than his guilt. The spy must not know that this is a trap, and he must believe the threat is both genuine and serious."

"
Use that to bolster the ruse."
Nathan nodded at the item. "
While it is strong evidence, it could be even stronger bait. Say that it was given to you freely as a taste of what your informant has. If something like that is the least of what is for sale, then the rest must be extremely damaging."

[OOC: Since Nathan has devised this plan for you, it is only fair I roll some Cunning tests.]

[url=Nathan Cunning Test][/url]: 5d6k4 11

Wow.. Nathan is dog tired. We can do better than that.

[url=Nathan Cunning Test (Lucky)][/url]: 5d6k4 18 +2 BoA 20

That's better. Check with Reader to see what bonuses he will give you. All Cunning bonuses are at the discretion of the Narrator.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:17 pm

[OOC: given the intelligent IC scheme, fine roleplay and good rolls/use of Lucky &
BotA I'll allow this as a one-off use of Great Teacher using Cunning rather than Persuasion.

- This won't be a regular new mechanic, but similar bonuses are possible in the future.
- TN 18 beaten =>
Grants Ser Kevan 5B to use in the intrigue with Ser Tyron.
- Liked Nathaniel's note on not going into things with preconceptions. Go-go little spymaster.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:29 pm

[OOC: So, on the mechanics: my meeting with Tyron to make him believe I am about to meet an informant will be handled as an intrigue, where I can use the bonus dice from Nathan's help for the persuasion tests?]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Kevan looked down to the ground, before looking at Nathan again, replying:
"
I don't want to believe it is Ser Tyron, due to his relationship with my wife, I really hope it is not him. But I have a few indications that it could possibly be him. I appreciate your words and I also think they fit my situation well. Nothing would please me more than if Ser Tyron believes my ruse and all he does nothing to stop it."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:[OOC: So, on the mechanics: my meeting with Tyron to make him believe I am about to meet an informant will be handled as an intrigue, where I can use the bonus dice from Nathan's help for the persuasion tests?]

[OOC: or if I choose to handle the mechanics differently, you'll have an extra 5B to use. Still not decided. If I just go with a simple awareness (empathy) I'll let you you convert bonus dice to rolled dice at a rate of 3B =>
1D to avoid exceeding the dice cap.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Reader wrote:
Kevan Lyras wrote:[OOC: So, on the mechanics: my meeting with Tyron to make him believe I am about to meet an informant will be handled as an intrigue, where I can use the bonus dice from Nathan's help for the persuasion tests?]

[OOC: or if I choose to handle the mechanics differently, you'll have an extra 5B to use. Still not decided. If I just go with a simple awareness (empathy) I'll let you you convert bonus dice to rolled dice at a rate of 3B =>
1D to avoid exceeding the dice cap.]

Based on what you have done in the past, Reader, would this not be a simple Intrigue: Deception (Act) to convince the target?
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:26 pm

[OOC: I'm torn between a simple intrigue or an awareness check to read the target, will be guided by the direction the thread takes]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:Kevan looked down to the ground, before looking at Nathan again, replying:
"
I don't want to believe it is Ser Tyron, due to his relationship with my wife, I really hope it is not him. But I have a few indications that it could possibly be him. I appreciate your words and I also think they fit my situation well. Nothing would please me more than if Ser Tyron believes my ruse and all he does nothing to stop it."

Nathan put his glass down and thought for a long moment. He seemed very weary.

"
Ser Kevan, you are aware of Luke Seldon and what he did;
what he had been doing for years. He was a liar, a cheat, a thief, and a killer."
Nathan paused for a moment. "
I have also lied, cheated, stolen and killed. I did all these things and more to bring him to justice.

However, I deeply believe that, despite our identical methods, Luke Seldon and I are completely different. While he exploited the innocent, I seek to protect them. While he bullied and terrorized the people who worked for him, I try to care for and bring out the best in those who work for me.

I do not know if Ser Tyron is responsible for this act of betrayal, but if he is then the choice was his and his alone, just as the choices I have made will be mine to bear. I hope you are right and he is innocent, but if he isn't, then it's because he chose to throw away his honor, not because circumstances forced you to test it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Kevan looked at the young schemer who was still half naked. "
You are a curious himan being, Nathan. If you didnt present your youth so obviously, I be concinved I am talking to a man with a lot more years on him to acquire that wisdom."

"
I don't know what I will do if I were to find out he is guilty and I hope I don't have to find out, but one thing is certain, there is a world of a difference between your acts out of well intentions, however vile they may be and crimes out of personal gain.."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:05 pm

"
My childhood was stolen from me at a very young age, Ser Kevan."
Nathan's tone was weary, but not bitter. "
Still, I cannot say that I did not get good value for it."

"
I like my life, although today would be an exception."
He sighs. "
There are days like today where I wish I was living quietly somewhere and the most exciting part of my day would be an illicit roll in a hayloft with the handsome farmboy next door. But that is a fantasy, and one I think I would get bored of very quickly."

"
I hope I have brought some justice to this world. I hope I have saved lives. If that's true, then perhaps the methods can be forgiven. I have found justice requires hard work, and I don't know anyone that can do honest labour and keep their hands clean."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:18 am

"
I grew up in quite the opposite environment to you and I remember my childhood favorably. I lived in a small castle with my family and enjoyed all the amenities of a minor house: food, protection, education. To be honest, I feel like I never really appreciated my position enough, until a couple of months ago. I was travelling the Vale after the Tourney at Riverrun, where I met a boy of maybe twelve. He was not that dissimilar to you. An orphan, growing up in poverty, having to survive by himself at a very young age and yet, he I never saw him with broken spirits, ready to do, what he felt was right. I have to say, the time I spent on the road with him made me change my perspective on certain things a bit."

The Marsten knight took the wine bottle from the table and poured himself another glass.

"
Regarding the spy within Raventree Hall, I am not sure who else I should focus on in addition to Ser Myles and Ser Tyron. I feel like the spy has to be in a relatively high position, not a minor servant. I quickly thought about the master-of-arms, Ser Manderly, but as of yet I have not found anything that indicates he is more than a loyal retainer. He seems to be well respected by the Blackwoods."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

"
To be an effective investigator, one must compile a list of suspects. Then, each in turn must be eliminated until you have strong indications or the truth is known. Certainly some will be more likely than others, but until the facts start presenting themselves, no-one can be above suspicion."

"
Certainly the spy could be a servant, but we should try and eliminate the principles before we climb that particular mountain."

"
Knowing what I know about the Blackwood Household, your list is probably short:

Lady Sofia Blackwood. Probably not a Bracken spy, but wives have been known to kill their husbands.

Ser Myles Blackwood. Also probably not a Bracken spy, but he is now Regent and will be running the House for many years. Longer if the young Lordling Benjicot meets an unfortunate accident.

Ser Tyron Blackwood. Known to be violent, arrogant and passionate. Not the qualities of a good spy, but his position and personality requires that he be eliminated as a suspect.

Maester Arran. People forget that a Maester's loyalty is to his House, not his Lord. Would he eliminate Lord Blackwood if he felt it was in the best interests of House Blackwood?

Ser Symond Blackwood. Not much is known about him, which is very odd for a Blackwood. The best spies are always the ones that you pay the least attention to.

Ser Colyn Manderly. Not a Blackwood. How loyal is he to his employer, and would he be more loyal to someone who paid him more? How do you think I get all my information? During the Seldon affair I paid more than a thousand stags in bribes.

Finally, there is Ser Colyn's son Brandon and the Squires Fennick and Jojen. Probably the least likely suspects, I agree, but we cannot assume they are innocent. They are all young men, and young men can be easily manipulated."

Nathan took a sip of his wine and gave a wry smile. "
Well, most young men can be easily manipulated."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Kevan listened and nodded his agreement at some remarks as the Nathan named one potential subject after another.
"
I agree with most of what you said and, as I said before, I suspect the spy to be one of these major members of the household. However, it is a bit awkward since I married into this family, but there is one name I was not aware of, Ser Symond Blackwood. How is he related to the rest of the Blackwood family? Where can I find him?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:49 pm

"
I am afraid I cannot tell you much more, Ser Kevan."
shrugs Nathan. "
His name came up in the inquires I made during the month before our arrival. He is a distant cousin of the Blackwoods and seems to be keeping a very low profile during these proceedings. Whether that is out of guilt or simple good judgement I cannot say. I am sure either your wife or any of the other Blackwoods can tell you more."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 am

"
You helped me more than enough, Nathan. I will have to inquire about that lost cousin. But now I am eager to go meet Ser Tyron, so I won't use any more of your time. Thank you and take care Nathan!"

Kevan offered the young spymaster a handshake, before leaving the small room.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:09 pm

Nathan took the proffered hand and shook it.

"
I hope that your suspicions about Ser Tyron are unfounded, Ser Kevan. I know how difficult for you it would be should that not be the case. If I can be of any more help, by all means let me know. My only interest is to see that justice. The sooner that is done and I can go home, the better."

Showing Kevan out, he closed the door and leaned heavily against it, rubbing his eyes and blowing out a deep breath.

Only the second day and I'm knackered. This is not shaping up to be a good week.

[Scene]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down