Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge

3 posters

Go down

D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge Empty D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Ser Kevan had sent a message asking to talk to him today. As Ser Jorah had an errand at the Market in Stone Hedge, he invited him to join him. He waited at the entrance to the market for his friend to arrive as Trelane looked for a trader for him.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge Empty Re: D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Ser Kevan arrived a few minutes later, alone as he was often travelling these days. He found his friend waiting for him at the market entrance, just as he expected. Struggling to get through the dense crowed of market, he finally made it over to him.
"
Hi Jorah, how are things? Our last meeting at the inn was rather strange, with the Longshores being present as well and nobody willing to talk about anything meaningful, don't you agree?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge Empty Re: D3 MM - A lesson in the Market at Stone Hedge

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:25 pm

"
Welcome Kevan,"
Jorah smiled to see his friend, “things are … progressing I think is the best way to describe it. Everybody is holding their cards as it were close to their chest, conducting their own investigations and not really sharing information. We do need to do a little better at communicating;
otherwise we are all going to be stepping on each other’s toes and getting in each other’s way. Was what I told you back at Raventree Hall of any assistance? I knew you were looking into the situation, so we’ve left things alone there until our last investigation tomorrow.

Have you been up to the Septry at Battle Valley at all? The monks there are in a poor situation at the moment and lacking even in shelter. I’m here to arrange for some materials to be sent up there so at least basic rebuilding efforts can begin. Of course, you did not ask to meet solely to hear me talk the investigations. What can I do for you today?"

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:07 pm

"
Yes, indeed. I am looking forward to our first official meeting, where all the investigators present their findings. I spent definitely too much time at Raventree Hall in the last couple of days, but there are just so many lavers to what is going on. Your tip was helpful, there is definitely something to it, but he is not who I was looking for. Can't say I'd hoped otherwise, given my marriage situation."

The last sentence was accompanied by a slight smile.
"
Unfortunately, I am still not down to the bottom of what has been going on regarding the murders. That is also the reason why I have not been at the septry yet."

"
But I wanted to meet you for some entirely different matter. As you know, I have always been serving House Marsten as a sworn sword. But while I traditionally was more involved with individual tasks, my new role as keeper of the gate has an increased focus on warfare, tactics and leading men into battle. I have some experience in that regard, especially with all the fights we had with the clans attacking our farmsteads. But I was hoping you could help me out on enhancing my knowledge in this. The Coldbrook soldiers are widely known for their discipline and you are an experienced commander."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Seeing Trelane hurrying back, Jorah motioned for Kevan to follow him.

"
Come, we can talk as we walk. I think I can help teach you some of finer intricacies of command, but tell me, when you think of a battle, what comes to mind?"

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Kevan followed the fellow knight through the crowd. Not sure what Jorah was looking for he answered: "
Organized chaos, action and reaction, killing, dying...?"

He looked at Holt to understand what he was looking for.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Ser Jorah raised an eyebrow as they pushed their way through the crowd

"
All very true, though you have also mostly described having to walk through this crowd. What I was thinking about It can happen anywhere. Most people view battles taking place on a field or castle. If you were to have to defend this marketplace, where are the chokepoints, where gives the best positioning to place archers to cover as much area as possible, how many entrances are there and did you think about these before I asked?"

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 pm

"
Well, except for the killing and dying, I hope!"

Kevan once again looked around the market place, the yard was surrounded by small buildings and market stalls. Four roads lead to it, one from every direction, north, east, south and west. The entrances were decorated by stonearchs and in the middle stood a small statues.

"
Well, there are four potential entrances to the yard. Obviously, you would position archers on the buildings near the entrances to allow to fire on the enemy while they approach the yard itself. With as close to each other as the buildings are, there is little preparation required to prevent any sizeable force to attack through them, leading us to focus on the roads."

He left his eyes wonder once again. "
On second thought, it would probably be even more efficient to let the enemy storm the market place while your archers are distribute evenly on the rooftops or second floors. Once the enemy arrived you can barricade the four arches and slaughter anybody with arrows. But I guess that depends what exactly you are defending on the yard. What do you think?"

"
Oh and on the last question, yes I thought about the chokepoints, but not in the scale that is required for a battle. I made it a habit to look at my surroundings wherever I go to always be prepared for a potential fight, but I am thinking more man to man, five on five, rather than armies..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:24 pm

“And how would you overcome that if you had to attack it? And if they survive your arrows, they've entered the market and are able to attack as you haven't barricaded the entrances. As you admitted, you came into the market thinking as just a warrior, whereas you need to think as a commander to consider eventualities. Imagine that tomorrow, a group of bandits have taken the town and you have been tasked to retake it. If you have already evaluated the location, then your task is a lot easier. Another example could be if your troops are marching along and are surprise attacked, how quickly and how prepared are you for the eventuality? Are you constantly evaluating on your route about positioning?”

Trelane pointed ahead to one of the market tents

"
Ah, here we are. Just looking to purchasing some materials to help the monks at the Septry. I remember that you have more of a silver tongue than I if you wouldn't mind helping a fellow knight. Let us see what we can get for a few Gold Dragons."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:43 pm

"
I see, it is not about changing a habit bit rather expanding on it. I will keep that in mind."

As asked by Jorah, he steps up to the stall to look for the merchant. He explained the situation and the purpose of the purchase, fine Ser Jorah the famous fighter who defeated the furious Frey was looking to purchase goods for the septry. Now it would only reflect good on a merchant if he were to lower his prices for such a generous project and to count a famous hero among his customers no less.
The merchant was reluctant at first but after a short exchange he came around.

"
Ser Jorah or Master Trelane I think it is your turn to explain our merchant here what you need."

"
But back to our discussion: Strategy is just one aspect. Another one is command itself. How do you make sure discipline is uphold at anytime. Me personally I am always looking to be on a good relation with the men I command, but when commanding soldiers from other houses, it becomes more difficult to command with authority..."

[url=Bargain][/url]: 4d6 16

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:49 pm

ooc +2 assist from Jorah to Trelane

[url=jorah and trelane assist rolls][/url]: 2#3d6k3 7 12 Trelane +2 to 7 = 9

"
Thank you, we are looking to procure some food and building materials for the Monks at Battle Valley to build some shelter and eat. Obviously, if you are able to provide these at a decent price, when we start looking into rebuilding the Septry properly, we would of course come to you first."

Kevan Lyras wrote:"
But back to our discussion: Strategy is just one aspect. Another one is command itself. How do you make sure discipline is uphold at anytime. Me personally I am always looking to be on a good relation with the men I command, but when commanding soldiers from other houses, it becomes more difficult to command with authority..."

"
The answer is confidence and respect. Getting to know your men is one thing and can help, but as you say, if you are in command of troops that are not regularly under your command, project an aura that you know exactly what you are doing and that when the proverbial hits the water wheel, you know how to save everybody and get your objective done. Of course, it does help to have a loud voice to shout at them and know what to say that might inspire them into doing what is needed and reorganising themselves quickly."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Kevan remains silent and steps back, as the Coldbrook retainers negotiate with the merchant. "
It is heartwarming to see all the efforts to not only look for evidence but actually repair the damage done, whether it is your efforts to rebuild the sept or Nathan's work at Blackbuckle..."

"
Do you still remember the first time we met all these years ago? I was squiring for Ser Marlon and you were travelling with your father. It was actually during the very same campaign against the bandits of Rome Strongspear, though after we already parted way. I still remember that one night, it was one of the first battles I ever experienced.
Ser Marlon was leading a group of about 300 men against this hidden holdfast in the woods. The force comprised mostly of men-at-arms from Tully bannermen, but there were a few freshly hired hedge knights among them. We were slowly approaching their camp during the darkest part of the night and Ser Marlon was giving out orders, where to scale the walls, how to approach among other details. There was this one hedge knight, Ser Lorec or something like that, an arrogant prick and know-it-all to boot. He began questioning the orders, said we should attack differently and that the plan was dumb, but Marl was never one to take shit from anyone. He knew of the effect this complaining had on his soldiers, many of which were quite freshly recruited. So, as the hedge knight kept complaining, he walked over to him and without any warning he knocked the man off his feet with a fist to the chin. As Lorec laid there, his mouth bloody, Ser Marlon said with calm voice: "
I have the command here, given by Lord Tully himself. So either, you shut the fuck up and follow my orders or you leave right now and I will ensure that you will never get any work with a Tully bannermen anymore."
The man said nothing, but stayed with the force.
We took the holdfast with minimal losses that day and as I heard after the battle, Lorec was one of the first over the wall..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:08 pm

"
Its no good just finding out what happened, we need to solve the problems or at least help. Otherwise, this will build up to another bout of this madness. Helping will help with any peace treaty we come up with. Has House Marsten been involved in any efforts?"

"
I remember Leroc, though my father and I were involved in a different engagement. To call him difficult is an understatement. There are many reasons why that man is still a hedge knight, but your story does highlight one way of commanding. Sometimes, it just needs to be a quiet confidence that makes your troops respect you. If you are unrattled by anything that happens, it helps your troops to remain so."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:40 pm

"
You are right off course, Jorah. So far, we have focused on the investigations itself. And since spending money will not bring back late Lord Blackwood, I fear there is little I can do in terms of rebuild..."

"
Yes, there are many different ways of leading men into battle, but confidence in your own abilities definitely seems to be a key trait of the successful ones. Thanks Jorah, this discussion has helped me a great deal.."

[OOC: Wrapping this up as we move to D4?]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:37 pm

yep, we can do some more on other days if you want

/scene

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Some had forgotten the Septry and its traumatised inhabitants. Others remembered, but lacked the resources to help. Or perhaps their lord had cynically allowed them to remain unhoused, to better highlight an alleged Blackwood crime?

Still, there were some knights who remembered the gods they swore to, men who set aside time and coin to help the embattled holy men of Battle Valley.

[/scene]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down