Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven

+6
Ser Walton Dulver
Daveth Coldbrook
Loreia
Theomore Tullison
Ser Alfred Haigh
Galladon of Claw Isle
10 posters

Go down

Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven Empty Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven

Post by Galladon of Claw Isle Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello There Septons, Septas, Knights, Ladies, Lords, Princes, and Smallfolk of every kind!

As you may be able to note, I'm new around this forum of yours, and from what I've read so far I would very much like to change that and jump in at the proverbial deep end. I've got a moderate amount of ASOIAFRPG experience under my belt, along with years of roleplaying besides, and a grounding in medieval and ancient history for the context, anyhow, onto business.

Working with the wonderful Valar Dohaeris, I've set about producing a character to join the wonderful menagerie of personalities that is Dragon's Dance. Namely, Ser Galladon of Claw Isle, an Ironborn turned Knight of the Seven, in search of redemption for years of raiding and reaving. Saved from drowning at the hands of a treacherous crew by a riverlander Septon, Harrek, a son of the Harlaws of Harlaw Hall and a stolen daughter of house Celtigar of Claw Isle, has changed his name to suit his new chance at life, and set about fighting brigands and raiders wherever they may be found, making many a friend among the smallfolk, while still struggling to reconcile a newfound faith with the habits of a lifetime, with the ultimate aim to become the model of a pious knight, with some sizeable bumps in the path ahead of him to overcome on the way.

If you're in need of a skilled axeman, with some skill at Intrigue (Nothing to the dedicated schemers among us) and a decent skill at Warfare and command, and willing to put up with a bit of soul searching and coming to terms with a newfound life under the laws of the seven, Galladon is your man. I've got most of Galladon's character, backstory and stats down, but I am in need of an entry point into our story, a house in which to play a part.

If your house would have any reason to bring a wandering hedge-knight in the western Riverlands/Rock, notable for assisting the smallfolk in the fight against banditry, fighting personally and helping to train militias, and for taking pilgrimages between the local religious sites, please let me know, so I can get started adding to this wonderful story I've stumbled upon with a new character.
Galladon of Claw Isle
Galladon of Claw Isle

Back to top Go down

Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven Empty Re: Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome to the board, Ser !

Happy to see new additions coming in and participating ! Hope you are able to find an interesting House soon. Most should be on the look out for skilled knights.

Additionally, if you'd like some background ties or other things, feel free to ask around or PM people.
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven Empty Re: Unemployed Hedge Knight - Will Intrigue/Axe/Command for The Seven

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 am

As far as the possibility for IC-hooks goes:
Tullisons are always (and actively) hiring talent, as are Drakesons (Coldbrook bannermen). Septon Arlyn (with the Dulvers) might take such a character under his wings, the Celtigar angle might bring you to Barthelds (Ser Corbin Celtigar is in their service) and such a character would likely fit into the mold of pious Marstens so....

Can't speak for Longshores and Coldbrooks, though maybe less attractive for the character at first glance for me.

Given this part:
If your house would have any reason to bring a wandering hedge-knight in the western Riverlands/Rock, notable for assisting the smallfolk in the fight against banditry, fighting personally and helping to train militias, and for taking pilgrimages between the local religious sites, please let me know, so I can get started adding to this wonderful story I've stumbled upon with a new character. wrote:

I'd say Tullison, Marsten and Dulvers(well, Arlyn really) are those most likely to take interest, though if we didn't loose anyone through narrator transition and stuff, all three should be decently stocked with fighting men, however, the Dulvers (Walton and espescially Raynald) would be very different type of men than Galladon, so that might be the most interesting place to be.

But truth is that I think we can craft a reason for Galladon to sign up with whatever house that you as the player think will be the most fun to be in fairly easily. Is there anything in particular you would like to explore? Any preference for black or green faction? Any personal standards (such as lord's piety/reputation) when finding a house to serve? Want to end up with people wishing to guide him on his path? People that might seek to mislead him for their own ends? People that won't really give a damn as long as they can rely upon his axe and shield when war comes to visit? Though with all the criscrossing RP, you can probably get all of that by interacting with PC's from other houses, so the only big question is probably the black/green thing, your character may or may not care, but you might have OOC reasons for him signing up with one side or the other.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Theomore wrote:I'd say Tullison, Marsten and Dulvers(well, Arlyn really) are those most likely to take interest, though if we didn't loose anyone through narrator transition and stuff, all three should be decently stocked with fighting men
I really hope so.

For fact, House Coldbrook is in need of a player with decent a Warfare score. Our Warfare people had to bow out on separate occasions for different reasons.

There was a rebellion of sorts a few reaver houses started by attempting to seize Bear Island, which the North put down (one of them has been identified for flavor in a previous thread, House Orkwood). Among the northern bannermen coming to aid the Mormonts were soldiers from House Coldbrook. Not sure how Galladon would go from the Iron Islands to House Celtigar on the east coast of Dragonstone, and then to House Coldbrook just north of the Neck, but perhaps he's heard of the northern house making a name for itself between Story 1-2. I could think of no better immediate opportunity for redemption than working closely with a house who sent men to rout an Ironborn rebellion in recent memory. Of note, to their resident female knight, you would have a lot to prove.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Loreia wrote:For fact, House Coldbrook is in need of a player with decent a Warfare score. Our Warfare people had to bow out on separate occasions for different reasons.
Worth pointing out that my new Cohort/Wife *is*, in fact, pretty skilled at war.  It would potentially be interesting, but we may not be the best choice - while we're Seven-friendly (both Loreia and my Lord father are knighted, which requires oaths to the Seven), we do follow the old gods (although I believe our people mostly follow the Seven, since we're on former Darry lands, who were fanatical devout followers of the Seven.)

What you IC would likely know of House Coldbrook that's not in the Getting Started forum?  Obviously very martial, but I've risen to prominence within the House and have focused our energies on our economy, most recently demonstrated by our hosting of a massive Grand Tourney, at a cost of 25 Wealth, to celebrate the double wedding of both myself and my brother.  We are also very scandal-prone - generally by flouting traditions, particularly about women warriors (Ser Loreia is the first female knight, and is in our service), though aside from that, we're trustworthy and honourable.  Finally, I organised (though Nathan, now departed, was also pushing for it) relief efforts towards the smallfolk during the King's Justice investigation, getting together other friendly houses and together preventing a mass uprising (thread here); and also we minimised the damage an attack against the Green Door Inn using Wildfire did, though investigation and training (the attack thread is here).  

So, we have a habit of protecting others, and, oh yes, if you want an example of a pious knight, we had Ser Jorah, considered a very skilled and honourable knight, who recently joined the Kingsguard (then, sadly, the player had to leave), but if you sought an example to follow, you could well be trying to follow in his footsteps.

So, with regards to House Coldbrook, I think we're 'could be better, could be worse'.  We'd certainly welcome you - we have no issue with, ah, 'interesting' characters, and we're down to just 2 PCs in Coldbrook (3 if you include Drakeson), but it's up to you.  But thought you might appreciate a reasonably in-depth explanation as to where we stand.

Oh, and politically, as you can probably guess, we're basically Black radicals, what with the warrior women and all (as well as making Baelon, rumoured to be Prince Daemon's bastard son, our banner lord), though we've had personal friendships with Greens, so ... radical, but not fanatical, if that makes sense?
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi and welcome!

Well, as mentioned above- whatever House You will choose, You should fit well, as we have really nice players gathered here Wink

From Dulver side I can say that aiding smallfolk, redemption in eyes of Seven and stuff like that- there is no better place than under wings of Septon Arlyn. He has real gift to touch people's souls. Beside that we have Ser Raynald, who is also on his personal journey, to say it gently. About Ser Walton... Well, I believe that You can hear different opinions, depending on who You ask, but all of them will definitely agree that he is skilled swordsman.

And of course we have the most charming person in Seven Kingdoms- Luecian Longbow.

That's short info about Dulvers. We may not be the biggest or most influential house, but we know what honor and loyalty mean and whatever we do, we try to do the right thing. Even if it's not in our best interest, I'm afraid. And we have a lot of gold. It's also worth mentioning that our lands are near the coast and we have some history of Ironborn raids here (actually that's how Walton earned his spurs and respect towards Your men).

But as I said- You can't choose wrong here, whoever You choose to serve.
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Gwyn could use a bodyguard. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Galladon of Claw Isle Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone, I'm already eager to get started Very Happy

Though there is a lot on offer in every house, all the varied personalities to be interacted with and to grow and mould Galladon around, I think it would be the best choice for Galladon to go for house Coldbrook. The chance to develop into not just a pious man but a truly good one, accepting the old faith along with the new, joined with the previous actions of the house (Fighting Ironborn and helping the Smallfolk) which would draw Galladon towards them. "Radical, but not Fanatical" black support is certainly an attitude that fits with Galladon, having been brought up among the Ironborn, with female captains, commanders and warriors being much more the norm than among the andals, and having developed a character without much tendency towards fanaticism of any sort, at least at his best. Plus, as a pretty unorthodox figure in himself (An Ironborn Seven worshiping Semi-Bastard Knight), the scandals of the Coldbrooks would only attract him. Galladon could make for the right mix of bodyguard and commander, with a decently high warfare and skill with an axe, though perhaps lacking in elegance.

I've got to say, it was not an easy choice, and I wouldn't put it past Ser Galladon to wander in his want to hunt down the Ironborn to stumble across many other houses with the same aim. I really hope to provide an interesting character, to play with and to play off as needed.

Galladon of Claw Isle
Galladon of Claw Isle

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

I don't think House Coldbrook has fought against Ironborn much. That came up when we were talking about House Kytley, which led to talking about Coldbrook because of the recent marriage.

Kytley and Dulver have the most experience fighting Ironborn historically.

EDIT: Ser Loreia also has a personal history of fighting Ironborn, as mentioned above, which might be the other Coldbrook/Ironborn connection you saw.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Welcome!  I received your PM, but will only be able to review it tomorrow afternoon - I have a job interview tomorrow morning (just a quick telephone one, to see if I'm worth considering), which I'm busy preparing for now.  

Still, I feel you'll fit in smoothly - House Coldbrook will always have a place for martial PCs, and Ser Jorah's departure definitely left a gap.  But personally, I think your relationship with Ser Loreia will be most interesting - a lot of similarities, with a few key differences.

Valar Dohaeris wrote:I don't think House Coldbrook has fought against Ironborn much.
Not much, but this is from the house intro (emphasis added):
Reader wrote:While Lord Coldbrook is an outcast in matters of intrigue, his personal skill in battle and as a leader of men does him much credit. He earned glory for his young house during raids by the Ironborn and Prince Daemon Targaryen's campaigns in the Stepstones
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Ah, I stand corrected. Happy to be wrong... this time. Laughing

I don't think of House Coldbrook being anywhere near the ocean, but there isn't really all that much land between the seas in that area, and Lord Tomos would have been more than happy to fight alongside his neighbors to help build a reputation for his fledgling house. Makes sense, really.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:34 am

And Baelon's had some relatively high profile kerfluffles with some Longshores. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:44 am

Awesome! This puts our player manpower back on par fighter-wise with other houses (sans the cohort). Er, I mean welcome. Smile

Indeed. By "recent memory", I mean 10 years ago.

One can choose to honor other religions while worshiping in one, which is were "the Old and the New" phrase comes from. To worship both the Old and the New, I think people may see it as perverse at best and heretical at worst. Currently it is only player knowledge, and not widely known, that Loreia does worship both.

"Wander in his want to hunt down Ironborn"? That's going to be interesting.

Yes, Loreia has been pretty boisterous with her distrust and hatred of raiders in general. Including wildlings, but they're almost never encountered.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:28 am

House Redwain/Longshore can need more help, we have only 2 active players since I haven't seen Yoren in a while, and I think time schedule me and Darron only see each other for a few moments if at all.

I understand some players wanting more for their Houses, can we stop trying to over populate Houses, when there are others with less players in them.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:09 am

Form must have missed updating for this. Hey welcome hope House Coldbrook serves you well! From the short character descriptor I cant imagine him fitting in too well with House Longshore due too being a Ironborn house of course possibly House Redwain the banner house which is led by Ereth could maybe have been a decent fit. Hopefully House Longshore gets a influx of a player or two soon as Ereth said our times don't really match up well and we are MIA a Longshore.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valar Dohaeris Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:45 am

House Coldbrook was down to 2, effectively 3 with House Drakeson. Only one more than House Longshore, and smaller than House Tullison (4).

I appreciate that some houses are lacking in players, and could use some fresh blood. Longshore and Dulver are my chief concerns on that front, though both Bartheld and Marsten have also been on the low side for some time, even before the transition, and as of yet have no responses in the role call thread.

However, it is not my policy to force a player into a house they do not feel their character fits into. That has a tendency to drive players away, which rather defeats the point.
Valar Dohaeris
Valar Dohaeris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down