Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives

+3
Gwyneth Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson
Reader
7 posters

Go down

[D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives Empty [D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives

Post by Reader Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 am

The Queen Arrives

Queen Alicent of Hightower's arrival is heard before it is seen by most of Riverrun's guests and residents. Lords and their entourages have been drifting in to Riverrun over the last few days, but today's arrival is of a different scale and splendour, dampened only slightly by a slight drizzle that marks the Queen's arrival.
Ser Rickard Thorne is resplendent in the white scale and plate of the Kingsguard, carrying the three headed red dragon banner of House Targaryen. Just behind him rides Ser Lorent Marbrand, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and reputed to have the skills to merit his station.
Grandmaester Orwyle rides uneasily on a gentle palfrey, the old maester having made the long journey from King's Landing to oversee the maester's conclave called to accompany the tourney.
Sworn swords and men at arms to the flanks and the rear of the party, but most eyes are drawn to the royal carriage between the soldiers, resplendent in the rich greens of the Reach with scrollwork in Hightower grey, a gift from House Tyrell to the queen.
A regal hand emerges from carriage, causing a great clamour in the audience. Queen Alicent briefly emerges through a canopied window to wave to the smallfolk and guardsmen before returning to her carriage to shelter. Word had already gone round that the Queen's husband, King Viserys I would not be attending, and had already sparked a host of reasons for his absence: a snub to the Tullys for failing to quell the Bracken-Blackwood feud? Sickness in the royal household? Preparations for war in Dorne?
Despite the crowd's enthusiasm for the queen, here and there messengers peel off to confirm the King's absence to their lords and paymasters.
Without warning, a black dog bolts through the crowd and beneath the wheels of the royal carriage, causing the draft horses pulling it to rear and one of the great wheels to emit a loud CRACK as it crushes the dog.
Impressive as the royal party is, a single black dog has eluded the might of the Kingsguard and brought the Queen's elaborate green carriage to an ignominious and muddy halt.

Participants: anyone may participate. Separate characters may attempt each check. Characters may assist instead of attempting either check. Characters may attempt both checks.
- Characters may participate in the thread simply as observors, but please mark rolls clearly.

Challenge:
- Athletics (Strength) (12) to right the carriage.
- Cunning/Knowledge (12) to fix the damaged wheel back in place.
- Potential negative consequences for critical failure.

Consequences:
[Succeed/fail to find out!]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives Empty Re: [D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Baelon leans in the doorway of a baker's shop, enjoying the smell of fresh bread and some flirting with the pleasantly plump baker's daughter - the baker being off on an errand, no doubt stuffing his massive belly with something or other and leaving her to run the shop - when he hears the commotion caused by the approach of the Queen's carriage.

"
Look, dear Alysanne,"
No doubt named after the Lady Alysanne. I wonder how the Lady feels about that? "
the Queen approaches."

He gestures to the carriage. "
Surely we are enriched by her mere presence."

The tinge of sarcasm in that last statement was lost on the maiden - if she was such, Baelon had his doubts - and she murmured something in agreement, though Baelon was not paying enough attention to hear precisely what, for at the moment the dog ran through the road, upsetting the horses.
Stifling a laugh, he turns back to the doughy daughter. "
Pardon my dear, but it seems as though the Queen is in need of assistance. What kind of knight would I be if I didn't help a lady in distress?"

And the look on their faces when they see who is helping will be priceless.
He slides his hand to the small of her back, pulling her close, and gives her a brief kiss on her dimpled cheek.
"
Perhaps I will come by later, and we can continue our... conversation."
He says with a smile, as he steps away from her and out to the street proper.

Approaching the broken carriage he sees a few disapproving looks from the guards, but he simple smiles back and continues, undaunted, gripping the rear of the carriage and lifting it back to it's proper position.

[url=Right the Carriage - Athletics][/url]: 4d6 12

"
Don't just stand there gawking man!"
He exclaims, trying to suppress a smirk, to one of the onlooking guards. "
Grab the wheel and put it back on! You are making Her Majesty wait!"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives Empty Re: [D1, Early Afternoon] The Queen Arrives

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Well wasn't this QUITE the opening event for a tourney? Gwyneth rolled her eyes as Baelon jumped out of the crowd and went right up to the Queen's carriage as if he was the royally appointed Wheelmaster or whatever the title was for someone who...fixed...things...like that. Granted, the bastard had no status to lose by dirtying his hands like that, but still.

On the other hand, he did seem to be taking things in stride. And it wouldn't take much to insinuate that she'd prompted him to take action...if things went well.

She certainly didn't envy whatever poor underling had let that dog slip though. He might be wishing he'd shared the dog's fate before the day was out.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 pm

Nathan watched as they fumbled with the wheel. Sighing he moved to help. The Queen's son would likely be crowned before they managed to fix it.

[url=Cunning Roll][/url]: 4d6 12

With a quick glance, it looked like the wheel's locking pin had snapped. Taking a knife, and with the help of the others, aligned the wheel and slid the knife in to replace the pin. It wasn't perfect, but it would hold till they reached the castle.

Once that done, Nathan quickly disappeared into the crowd.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Ser Jorah watched the Queen's arrival with interest, then horror as the carriage came crashing down. This would not do for the Queen of the Realm he thought and his honour that he help. Considering how little his house was thought of, assisting the Queen could only be of help. With a flourish, he stepped out and bowed.

"
My Queen, if House Coldbrook may be of assistance."

He stood next to Baelon. With a grunt, he lifted the wagon higher, ensuring it was easier for the wheel to be refitted.

As Nathan began inserting his knife as a locking pin, he offered some advice.

"
Twist the knife to the left a little bit so less pressure is placed on the blade. Yes, that's better."

ooc

[url=Lifting the wagon][/url]: 4d6 15

That should be more than sufficient

[url=Assisting fixing the wagon][/url]: 3d6 9

That should be enough to add a plus one to Nathan's roll.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Daveth stood watching the Queen's carriage. It was his first chance to see royalty in person, and he didn't want to miss it.

When the dog dashed underneath the wheels of the carriage, the first thought that came to Daveth's mind was I wonder who set that dog off? Followed swiftly by I should probably help my Queen. Though as he looked, he saw Ser Jorah already on the way to do just that. So, instead, he swiftly went up on tiptoes from his vantage point to scan the crowd for anyone who looked like they might have been behind the incident.

(OOC: Awareness roll? Or no point?)

While looking, he notices the young man who jumped forward to fix the wheel disappearing back into the crowd. Being ready to fix the carriage, in the right place, at the right time, and vanishing without a reward?

...How very interesting.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:51 pm

"
The realm's knights are strong and bold, you have our thanks brave Sers,"
says the queen in a commanding voice as the two knights strain to repair the carriage.

Ser Lorent signals all is well as the furtive figure repairs the wagon.

The queen confers with Grandmaester Orwyle for a moment, unable to shout similar thanks to the elusive young man.

Now furnished with names by the Grandmaester, the Queen offers parting words as the ponderous royal train rumbles on.

"
Ser Jorah, Ser Baelon, this kindness shall not be forgotten. The royal household remembers those who maintain its dignity."

She favours both of you with a smile, and her great beauty causes men and women of half her age to look on with envy.

[OOC: Awareness (Empathy) TN 16 to get the subtext of Queen Alicent's words - tough rolls but these are high stat characters]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:(OOC: Awareness roll? Or no point?)

TN13 Awareness to get a good enough look at me to recognize me again, I would say.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:
Daveth Coldbrook wrote:(OOC: Awareness roll? Or no point?)

TN13 Awareness to get a good enough look at me to recognize me again, I would say.

[OOC: Confirmed but NPCs attempting this have been dealt with privately]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Reader wrote:"
The realm's knights are strong and bold, you have our thanks brave Sers,"
says the queen in a commanding voice as the two knights strain to repair the carriage.

Ser Lorent signals all is well as the furtive figure repairs the wagon.

The queen confers with Grandmaester Orwyle for a moment, unable to shout similar thanks to the elusive young man.

Now furnished with names by the Grandmaester, the Queen offers parting words as the ponderous royal train rumbles on.

"
Ser Jorah, Ser Baelon, this kindness shall not be forgotten. The royal household remembers those who maintain its dignity."

She favours both of you with a smile, and her great beauty causes men and women of half her age to look on with envy.

[OOC: Awareness (Empathy) TN 16 to get the subtext of Queen Alicent's words - tough rolls but these are high stat characters]

Ser Jorah bows to the Queen as he considers her words.

ooc
[url=Awareness of Queen][/url]: 3d6 16

Wow, when needed.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Daveth grunts quietly in frustration. Nothing! And then realises that he spent so long looking for whoever set the dog off that he only has a vague impression of a youthful man from the person who fixed the carriage.

Idiot! You know what you are? You're the dog who tries to chase two hares, and catches none.

I also would have no idea what to do with either hare should I catch them, so I suppose it's no great loss.

He casts one last look over the crowd, in vain, while grinding his teeth slightly.

I just don't like losing.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Baelon smiles.

"
No true knight leaves any lady in distress when such simple actions can remedy it."

It's not like I did it because I agree with your plot to steal the throne for your son.

"
It strikes me as odd that so few would step forth."

Perhaps you don't have as many supporters as you would like to think...
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:17 am

*Now this is something I'd like to be there for.*

Loreia watches with clear anxiety as Jorah approaches the carriage to aid the men coming forward to fix it. After it is done, she listens as the queen, supported by the 'greens'.

[url=Awareness(Empathy)][/url]: 4d6k3 13

As Alicent speaks, Loreia can't help but wonder if she'd be as blessed to keep just as well after spawning three children. She quickly brushes the thought from her mind with mild disgust for herself, but not in time to discern anything beyond the queen 'not forgetting' and remembering Jorah's assistance. This worries her nonetheless, as it concerns Lord Tomas' stance on the dispute over who will inherit the throne(or perhaps the Starks', and him by extension).
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down