Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D3,ME] I Dulver Dropby

2 posters

Go down

[D3,ME] I Dulver Dropby Empty [D3,ME] I Dulver Dropby

Post by Luecian LongBow Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Luecian snuck off from the rest of the soldiers of House Dulver after the battle, wanting to clear his head and visit the certain sender of a curious letter. A letter I figured out using me brain! Reckon mayhaps letters aren't as hard as people think but then again Master Nathaniel didn't use his to be making much sense. Perhaps he was in a hurry or concerned to say more in the letter. Most likes its a code and he be knowing I'd come track em down to ask after seeing it. He's a darn right clever one, that one.

Entering Blackbuckle, the scene still looked distressing but not as bad as the Septon had originally described. Clearly someone has taken steps to improve the area as much as possible given the circumstances.

Asking around and showing the letter to a Bartheld retainer, he gets directions to where Nathaniel Mason is currently residing within Blackbuckle.Luecian approaches announcing himself to any present guards.
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

[D3,ME] I Dulver Dropby Empty Re: [D3,ME] I Dulver Dropby

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 am

The guards let Luecian into the camp, their function seemingly to prevent squabbles between the people there than keeping anyone in or out. The camp is large and seems to be filled with Bracken commoners hard pressed by events of recent years. Even at this late hour, the healer's tent seems busy.

While security may seem lax at the camp borders, such is not the case at the large white pavilion. In fact the word excessive would be more accurate, although perhaps not given recent events. Even so, Luecian is announced and quickly given entrance. Inside are three men.

"
Luecian, I am glad to see you."
Nathan rises to meet the young archer. "
I am not sure you know Ser Jon Roxton or Edumund Bartheld. Pleae join us. We were just about to have a late meal."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:41 am

"
Pleased to seeing yerself as well Master Nathaniel. Honored as well to be meeting yerselfs as well Ser, m'lord."
He finishes with his common agile if not practiced bow. Luecian sits down clearly exhausted and looking a bit more worn than normal. "
I'd be appreciating joining ya for any food or drink you could be sparing, if me not be imposing that is. It's been a long and trying day m'lords and I headed this way straight after the battle."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 am

Both Edmund and Ser Jon nod in greeting.

"
By all means take your rest, Luecian. You're welcome to spend the night as well. I'll have a tent set aside for you."

Nathan went to ladle a large helping of stew from the pot. For a man that could afford an army of servants, and did have an army of servants back home, their complete absence was noteworthy. Nathan seemed to stand on little ceremony in private.

"
You can thank one of your countryman, Ser Garred, for the stew. I had the pleasure of enjoying some yesterday, although I think it could have benefited from sage and salt. You will have to tell me if I am right."

Only after serving the men present does he serve himself. "
Which battle do you come from? There seems to be fighting all across these lands today. The Dulver peacekeepers seem to have their hands full."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:49 am

"
A tent would be much appreciated. And I be sure yer changes to Ser Garred's stew be an improvement, as the man himself is more about function than taste from me own experiences. Not a bad sort at all mind you, a good veteran soldier and leader and me own self can attest to him being a selfless man to have with ya in a scrap. Though he's oft a bit gruff and mayhaps a bit bitter and its worse on the days when his old injuries seem to be achin' more than be normal, ye can sense his mood on those days don't ya be doubtin."

As Nathan hands him a bowl of the stew, Luecian thanks him again sincerely gifting him with a tired smile."
Me thanks m'lord, and honored to be eating sharing bread with such men as yerselfs."

"
It surely has been a long day for all the peacekeepers I be expectin but I can speak first hand for the Dulvers and meself. From the confrontation at the mines, to a battle with a few robber knights connected somehow to a Ser Wyll I believe, a few questions asked trying to locate the lost daughter of House Daleford and then finally a battle with House Tullison and House Dulver forces to put down a group of men trying to use this here turmoil and chaos present in these lands to their advantage and add to it to boot."

He proceeds to eat quite in a manner displaying either great hunger or poor manners or most likely both.
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 am

"
I have never found function and good taste to be mutually exclusive,"
smiled Nathan, "
but I suppose that's to be expected from a military man."

"
I heard about the situation at the mine. Unfortunate. I only met Athelstan briefly at the Riverton Inn, but of course I knew him by reputation, however accurate that may be."

Nathan opens a bottle of Bartheld red and begins filling glasses. "
It would seem that there is no shortage of people seeking to seize opportunities for their own gain,"
said Nathan dryly. He was clearly referring to more than just mercenaries and bandits, "
although perhaps House Bracken and Blackwood are in part to blame. They certainly seem determined to provide as many of those opportunities as possible."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:25 am

"
I did not be knowin the ironborn much beyond reputation until the last day or so meself. We exchanged some fair words with ale at the inn and I honestly be hatin to see any man I've fought beside die such a death but we all be knowin death comes for us all at some time and most of us never be welcomin it. Much of it hurts me head too much to be thinking bout it, I'll leave that to others who likely be understanding it more and seeing more. I'll stick to what I can do well with me own skills and that seems to keep me busy enough since we arrived."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 am

"
Speaking of what you do well."
said Nathan smoothly. "
I sent you that note because I am interested in hiring you, although I'll understand if you are too pressed already with your peacekeeping efforts and your duties to House Dulver."

"
I am trying to repair some of the damage to Blackbucke and reclaim the village, or at least properly lay it to rest. Right now I have every able bodied man I can find just trying to dent the mountain of animal carrion that litters the area. Those who are too weak for strenuous labour are foraging in the forest for deadwood or food, although most would not know the difference between a toadstool and a bar stool. Also, the closest source of clean water is more than a mile away.

While this part of the forest is not particularly dangerous, I still have safety concerns as most of those foraging or fetching water are either women or children. I do have men doing patrols, but House Bartheld did not bring a military force and are relying on the generosity of House Roxton and whatever men I can hire from the area. After the situation at the mines, I am sure there will be increasing tensions, which will put even greater pressure on my security. It would give me some relief if I had someone skilled in both conflict and the ways of the forest."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:32 am

Luecian seems to rub his jaw and squint his eyes a bit, lost in thought for a few moments. "
Well to be honest I do be having a lot of duties and these be busy and trying times. But me thinks Septon Arlyn would be supporting the idea surely and the others of House Dulver would most likes be willing to assist. How many men they could spare outside of other activities , others would have to decide but I be thinking they could likely lend a small number of men to assist in protecting these poor souls who be in the midst of such trying times. I could ride to discuss with them or I can stay for the night and you could send something to update the Septon of me whereabouts and ask his assistance to broach the subject to Ser Walton. Meself would be willing to spend time here over the next few days or so, to help as one friend be willing to help another as they can from time to time. With the an understanding that I be having to continue my duties to House Dulver which would possibly take me else where for large pockets of time each day."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:53 am

"
Septon Arlyn is already lending his support, you need not worry on that account. As far as Ser Walton and Ser Garred, they are already sorely pressed with both their investigations and their peacekeeping duties. I have no desire to further burden them. If it was simply bodies in armor I needed, I have many connections that can provide such, and House Marsten has been very generous to lend me armed men in emergencies.

It was mainly your skill with a bow and your knowledge of the forest I desired. I will not pull you away from your duties to your House, but if you do have time to spare, it would be appreciated."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:55 am

"
Ahh well those I can both be offering freely when other duties do not overlap. I will do what I can , when I can to help out as you feel I would best be useful. No doubtin your efforts here a sorely needed good thing these days."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 am

Luecian calls out to Nathan once more, a bit uncertain but pushing past it. "
Master Nathaniel, I also had me a bit of good luck lately that mayhaps could be shared with these folks."
With an careful eye on Ser Jon, he adds a warning to the knight. "
Mind if I take me boot off for a moment Ser, be promisin no ill intent and there be a few shiny pieces of luck that mayhaps might go to helping these folks get their life's back."
Not completely certain of the knight's response, he continues slowly taking the boot off and then shaking a few gold dragons on to the floor. Putting the boot back on, he picks up the 3 gold dragons and offers them to Nathan freely. "
I know ye be having coin in spades but well these be lucky coins and mayhaps they bring a bit of luck to these folks as they did to meself. I got some new lucky ones to be trying out recently and I be thinking me old luck would be a good thing for these folk."
Might be missing my luck, but I better suited to make me own than these folks. I'd do the same for any Dulver smallfolk I knew taking a loss such as this, so no doubt I should try the same for these folk.Besides this doesn't even touch any coin from the Bracken hunt. More than me own self would know how to spend anyway...

Last edited by 183 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:28 am

Nathan was not often caught by surprise, but the coins Luecian offered clearly did. It was a staggering sum for one of the woodsman's means.

"
Thank you Luecian."
he said, accepting the coins. "
I assure you every copper will be spent to relieve the suffering of those here."
Nathan was spending easily ten times as much to do the same, but as a portion of his wealth, it did not even come close to Luecian's generosity.

[Nathan increases to Amiable to Luecian]

"
Have you had an opportunity to see Blackbuckle? I can show you in the morning if you have not, but I must warn you it is not for the weak of stomach. Nearly the entire population was wiped out at a stroke, and for whatever reason, Lord Bracken has chosen to leave the village untouched for a month or more. It was only this afternoon that the well was finally capped to prevent further mishap. Maester Forthwind tells me the poisoned water has likely lessened in strength over time, but the water is still toxic and will remain so for some time to come."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:50 am

(ooc-Trust me while generous you wouldn't want the huntsman as a steward...he can be equal parts foolish or generous with his coin when he has it. Lucky for him he's a simple sort that while needing some coin, doesn't need a ton to be happy.)
Luecian nods to Nathan's assurances. He touches the scars on his face lightly as he continues. "
Well truth be told the most valuable thing I earned the day I made them coins was me own life and the most costly thing I lost was the poor lad's life. I kept some of the hide for meself but many pay highly for a shadowcat pelt so I profited more than felt right all things considered. Been carrying em around for luck since, well truth be told I spent some but the rest I been carrying round for luck."

"
I would like to see the area, the Septon mentioned it but me thinks seeing it with me own eyes might remind meself of why we are here. And as much I will likely find it unpleasant a reminder might not hurt to keep focus on what all our efforts are for. I'll take the savage yet clean brutality of a wolf pack attacking a doe over this type of likely human brutality any day."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:13 am

Nathan nods. "
Make no mistake. What was done here in Blackbuckle was pure evil."

"
The wolf bears no ill-will towards the doe beyond sating it's hunger. It does not covet what the doe possesses, it does not seek revenge for what the doe has done, or simply kill the doe because it feels like it or takes pleasure in the kill. There is no evil in nature."

"
Still, there are few things more dangerous than a starving wolf."
Nathan stares off toward the encampment. "
The people on both Bracken and Blackwood lands are starving, and many have been driven to acts they might not have considered otherwise. Some of the people we fight against are opportunists, but many are simply desperate."

"
I can do what I can in the short term, but none of us will be here forever, and I fear anything I do simply slaps a bandage on a deep festering wound. So long as the nobles of House Bracken and Blackwood are bent on killing each other, the suffering of the people will continue. I don't know if anyone can change that, so I will do what I can to change the lives of individuals and hope that is enough."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 am

(Just from a reference perspective, Luecian is already amiable to Nathan based on his background and previous encounters)
Luecian looks at Nathan, nods and gives a tired smile"
No doubt you be right, and well even if you only be bandaging a fearsome wound, its more than most be doing for the little folk round here. To them and to others like meself, that surely be meaning something."
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 am

"
I suppose you're right. Something is better than nothing."

Nathan refilled everyone's glasses.

"
You must be tired Luecian, after the day you have had. Please don't stand on ceremony. Retire when you wish."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 pm

"
Much appreciated."
Luecian takes the glass and engages in a few more rounds of unrelated conversation regarding Bartheld wines before declaring himself beat and ready to retire. He follows any provided servant to the loaned tent after ensuring his horse was properly cared for as well for the night.
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Nathan sees that Luecian is settled in and returns to the pavilion.

Edmund, flush with drink quips, "
Interesting friends you have Nathan. I wonder where a man like him came by that kind of coin?"

Nathan levels the young Bartheld noble with a flat gaze and begins clearing up the dishes. "
I have no idea."
he remarks "
but however he did, I can guarantee it was far more virtuously than I came by mine."

Edmund clears his throat uncomfortably and begins a somewhat forced and hollow laugh at Nathan's 'jest'.

[/scene]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down