Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed) Empty [D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Daveth was travelling with the rest of the party to deliver Athelstan's body to Yoren, but at this exact moment, he and Lord Baelon were off a short distance, so they could have a conversation in privacy.

"
Lord Baelon,"
Daveth begins, in his calm, serious tones, not stressing the title, but its mere presence after Baelon finally broke him of the habit of always using it a bad sign. "
Before I say this, I want to be clear on something: I consider you a friend, and I value your council.

"
However, you are also my -father's banner lord. Your authority here derives from me, just as mine derives from my father. And as such, whether you wish it or not, your actions reflect on me, and my house. Regardless of whether or not you seek my agreement before doing something, regardless of if I even know what you're going to do, it impacts me.

"
So, this time, I am asking you: before you do something as ... impactful as what just happened, discuss it with me first. I was right there. It wouldn't have taken long. To do so shows both prudence, and respect. To not do so ... doesn't."
Daveth's tone is reasonably light, but there is a definite hint of steel beneath his words, gently implying that next time, he may not be asking so nicely. "
And while I do not expect you to accurately foretell the outcome of your every act, I will give you a good rule of thumb: if your plan involves drawn weapons, consider it likely impactful enough that a discussion is warranted."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed) Empty Re: [D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:46 am

Baelon rides along with Daveth, silently - clearly still in a rage against Athelstan, the Septon, the world.
He opens his mouth talk, but stops himself. This happens a few more times.
He rides in silence some more.

"
I won't apologize for what I did. I was right to - it needed to be done. I couldn't risk him running off to alter more evidence, or set off the wildfire, or take Corrine hostage for that matter."

He sighs.
"
How I did it.... well that probably could have been handled better."

He rides along, mulling something else over.
"
That's not a promise I can make, Daveth. There may be times when I deem action necessary - to protect my family, or you, or for some other reason. I'm a killer, Daveth. Every knight, every warrior is. It's not something I revel in, but it is a fact. We live our lives surrounded by killers. Our lives are not safe ones, Daveth, and never will be. If I start second guessing about whether or not to draw my sword, that hesitation could cost me my life. Or Gwyn's. Or yours. Here's what I can promise. I do not, and will not, draw my sword in anger. I may be angry when I draw my sword, but that is not the same thing. If I draw my sword, it is because I feel it necessary, not because I wish someone dead."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed) Empty Re: [D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Daveth sighs slightly. "
I'm not asking for your apology for what you did, Lord Baelon. I know you tried your best - predicting that he would commit suicide, rather than something sane, like simply lie and deny, would require oracular abilities that I do not expect. But this situation we're in is not the usual one - you are here as an addition to the Coldbrook delegation, rather than as a Drakeson delegation in your own right. As such, your actions reflect on me far more than they ordinarily would. And, as such, I am simply asking that, where possible, you make an effort to keep me informed of your intentions before you do something so significant again. If I'm not present"
he shrugs "
fine. Some things can't wait. But when I *am* present, and a few moments will not make a big difference, I don't think I'm asking for too much for you to talk to me."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Baelon considers Daveth's words.

"
That is true, and I am sorry if my actions cause you any trouble. I will try to consult with you in the future."

OOC: Realistically, Baelon would have more to say on the topic, but for the sake of moving on to the main purpose of this thread, I'll keep it simple.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:29 pm

Daveth nods. "
Thank you.

"
Now, let's rejoin the others, and go meet up with Yoren."
he gives a small sigh. "
I've got a good relationship with him. I hope we can retain it."

(OOC: Yoren, I'll let you decide where you are when we meet up with you.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:05 am

Blazing heat streams from the smithy. The familiar noise of metal on metal can be heard, however, it is out of sync.
As Baelon and Daveth enters they can see a huge man, white haired, seemingly effortlessly hammering away with a hammer larger than many people's heads. Next to him, on another anvil, stands Yoren. Although equally tall Yoren seems dwarfed by the powerfully built smith. In proportion to his lesser bulk Yoren uses a hammer that cannot be heavier than two pounds. As Baelon and Daveth walks in Yoren sticks the rod of metal he was working on into a bucket, before he approaches.
"
Your business?"
Yoren asks with barely concealed hostility.

Last edited by 145 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:45 am

[OOC: Wait, who came up to us with barely concealed hostility? Yoren or the smith?]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:19 pm

[My condolences :;
): Yoren approach, I've changed the wording slightly now...]

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Daveth can't entirely hide his surprise from Yoren's tone, though his lapse is brief, and his face is back to its sympathetic look in an instant. If he's already this hostile, I fear how this will go. "
Apologies for interrupting you, Yoren, but we have some bad news that we felt couldn't wait. I suggest you sit down somewhere."
he glances towards the smith. "
Preferably somewhere where we won't be disturbing others."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:15 pm

"
I've heard much, and given what I've heard, I guess I'd have to be stupid to grant you two a private audience."
Yoren starts out aggressively, but after a brief pause he smiles slightly;
"
I guess I am stupid, come, I know of a nice private spot in the garden. We can talk of... our fellow aquintance there."

Yoren walks between Daveth and Baelon and shows them a secluded part of the Bracken garden, all but hidden between some overgrown bushes. On the way he is short on words, but when he arrives he tells them: "
I found this place the first night. It's well secluded, nobody will disturb us here, as long as voices are kept low."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:29 pm

"
Thank you for your trust, Yoren. It is a pleasant spot for unpleasant news.

"
Though I must admit to confusion. We came straight here by horseback, so I can't see how you could have heard our news already. I almost dread to ask, but what *have* you heard that you would feel your life would be at risk from *me*?"
he glances across at Baelon. "
Well, okay, us, but still."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 pm

[OOC: I was under the impression that we were traveling with the body and with the Ironborn guards, so this would have been the first that Yoren heard of it... well, I suppose that Njal or another could have ridden ahead?]

Baelon unbuckles his swordbelt and hands his sword, in it's sheath, to Daveth.
"
Does that help?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Yoren settles down in the grass;
"
Don't worry, I trust you well enough. I heard it from Athelstans lifeguard. I planned for us to be protected for just these sorts of eventualities, though it seems that my preparation was inadequate in this situation..."

Proceeding to speak Yoren tells them.
"
I don't need to know what happened, however, I'd like to hear what you have to say on your judgement of the event. What was done by design and what happened without you wishing it."

"
Daveth, you must remember my warning of you at the inn. I've kept my part, hindering any aggression, why couldn't you do the same? Why do you have so little faith in my judgement? Why did you just stand there watching. From where I am sitting you are just as much to blame as anybody else."

"
Baelon, what rights have you to do any apprehending? You may say that you only rid the world of a bastard, but you do not own the rights of pit and gallow here, and even if you did, you still killed a servant of mine, a horse of mine, and perhaps most important, you did it under protection of guestrights. I've seen dragonseeds before, although few as pure as you, but it does not put you above the law, as far as I know."

Gesturing to them: "
I pride myself in searching for answers, so please, tell me, what justified your actions today?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:05 pm

[OOC: For the sake of time, I've run several conversation topics together into one post - I've tried to make it flow, but it's still a bit awkward.]

"
There are a number of things to say about this matter. First, please understand that the actions taken were done so fully by my decision - I did not consult with Daveth beforeI acted, and the situation progressed much too quickly for him to intervene. Neither Daveth nor House Coldbrook should be considered in any way responsible for my actions."

He pauses.

"
As for my rights - I exercised the right of any investigator to interrogate someone strongly suspected of planting evidence to mislead other investogators. Further, my duty to king and country compelled me to take swift action to ensure that a large cache of wildfire, previously removed from the mines, was not in Athelstan's possession - I had no assurances, until his confession and subsequent action, that he did not have the wildfire and intend to use it. I did not seek his death - if guilty I intended to bring before the assembled investigators to decide his fate - you may say my right of pits and gallows did not apply, I am no legal scholar to argue otherwise... however we certainly could not have relied upon either House Blackwood or Bracken for a fair judgement. If he had been innocent, I of course would have released him."

He shakes his head.

"
I do not consider myself above the law - indeed, I feel that what I did was required by it... and I am the least likely investigator to hold Athelstan's bastardy against him. As for the wildfire... "

Baelon watches Yoren's expression carefully. It's unlikely Yoren knew anything that Baelon did not already, but who knows what Athelstan might have said.

"
...the quantity involved is... disturbing. Sufficient, I think, to destroy a number of villages, or burn the Green Door Inn to the ground. Sufficient to cause significant damage to Raventree Hall, for that matter. The lives lost would be... staggering. More, I think, than any of the incidences we were called on to investigate in the first place. We have a few leads to follow up on regarding what to look for and where to look - starting here in Warrior's Seat, though I doubt to find it here. I was hoping you would join us?"

If there is a fire, being near a fire-priest is probably wise...
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Daveth glances at Baelon before answering. "
While everything Lord Baelon has said about my involvement is true - I am keenly aware of my lack of knowledge and experience of situations where weapons are drawn, and I subsequently have strong instincts compelling me to leave such situations to those who have such experience and knowledge, for fear of making them worse, and bringing down disaster on everyone - I find it difficult to absolve myself entirely. Though, even looking back, I find myself doubting what I could have done that would have helped - pretty much anything I could have done would have undermined Lord Baelon, likely ruined his bluff, and eliminated any possibility of finding the truth. And maybe even provoked Athelstan into attacking, which would have likely been a disaster.

"
So, even in hindsight, I am paralysed by indecision. I simply do not handle these circumstances well. I feel that *that*, at its heart, is my flaw. Maybe, if I were a better man, a more military man, I would have seen an opportunity to avoid bloodshed that escapes me even now. But I'm not. I'm me. And all I can do is my best."

Daveth gives a deep bow to Yoren. "
Still. I am aware you still keenly feel the loss of one brother. I would not willingly inflict on you the loss of another. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I wish things had turned out differently."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:12 am

Gathering a deep breath, blowing himself up to release a storm he starts: "
You did not consult with Daveth, and he still didn't step in, who's the superior of you? Have you..."
Yoren seems to suddenly deflate, much like a wineskin in the hands of a trained drunkard. He sighs, both physically and mentally before continuing:

"
It's not important just now, I can deal with you later."
The menance has clearly left his voice: "
We will have to find the wildfire for now. It's a vile substance, and mere water cannot put it out."

Suddenly less lethargic again he gets up on his feet:

"
Once ignited you'll have to choke the flame, or it can burn through anything. How much is taken, enough to take out raventree hall would be a substantial amount, they'd need to hide in plain sight to get it in. So we are looking at someone with official business there."

"
Daveth: did you take a look at the poison, it may be the same guy, as both are advanced chemical components."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 pm

"
I believe the wildfire was brought in from out of the area, not produced locally. In fact, I suspect that the primary agents behind this plot are neither Blackwood nor Bracken... but that is of secondary importance. More important is to find it and prevent it from being used. I suspect it is being hidden in plain sight, disguised as something innocuous. As we are here, I believe we should start with the cellars of Warrior's Seat to avoid the possible need to backtrack. I intend to search the Green Door Inn and Raventree Hall as well."

He hastily scrawls a note to Lord Haig, then summons a page to deliver it. He takes his sword back from Daveth and puts it back on.
Lord Haig,

I have learned information that leads me to believe that House Bracken may be being set up to take the blame for a vile attack that I believe is quite immanent. In order to prevent the attack and save House Bracken's reputation, I would like to search your cellars - there may be a horrid weapon hidden there without your knowledge. If you could send whomever is responsible for keeping your cellars stocked, it would be quite helpful - the substance we seek is likely disguised, but may not be on an official inventory.

With sincerity and respect,
Lord Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

"
If we know who got it here we'll have a place to start. What poison was it? We might get a better idea of the plot from figuring out where they've found their poison. The wine cellar would be a good place to start, although if you have solid proof of wildfire I thing we'd be entitled to simply remove all the servants from the castle. In case we have an accident with the wildfire... we'll need to take care."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 pm

"
You don't undermine an ally in public, particularly in a tense situation."
Daveth shrugs, slightly apologetically.

Daveth shakes his head. "
I don't want to discuss the poison in a place with as many ears as this, but I will say that what we have found points in a completely different direction to that of the wildfire. We should treat them as independent investigations.

"
I agree that we have to be careful. I am well aware of how deadly wildfire is. But that it could be here is effectively simply a guess. I'm disinclined to attempt to arrange an evacuation over what could well prove to be nothing. We all understand what we're dealing with, so we can be careful and take precautions. If we come across something suspicious, then we can consider if we want to suggest an evacuation to Lord Haig."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:44 pm

"
You think the wildfire may be disguised as wine? Why wine, specifically?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:46 pm

"
Wildire's extremely potent, but also highly unstable. One oaf stumbling over a pot at the wrong time and all your planning, plus huge amounts of material wealth, has all gone to waste. The liquids also should be kept underground, as sweltering heat or much sunlight can cause it to alight. It has to be close to a place where important people mingle, as nobody cares if you burn a few smallfolk. Now, the ideal place for that is the wine cellar. It's also bought in clay flasks, and as few would be foolish enough to open up these flasks there's a good chance that they are in clay containers, although that's just a guess."

"
Have you looked into Darry? They might benefit greatly from this. It has to be someone with great wealth at any rate."

Yorens anger seems to be all gone for now, he has more important things on his mind.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:16 pm

That wasn't much of an answer.
[url=Awareness(Empathy) - is Yoren hiding somthing about the wildfire?][/url]: 3d6 15

"
Yes, great wealth indeed - though I suspect the cost was borne by actors outside the local region, with the greatest benefits to be had in national - not local - politics. Regardless, as I said before, finding it before it is used is more important than finding those responsible."

Baelon leads the way to the cellars.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Yoren hides nothing, he's more scared than what he cares to admit, though.
"
Though if we find those responsible, then it'll be a lot simpler to track down the wildfire."
Yoren follows after Baelon down to the cellar, letting the raging fire die.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 pm

"
True,"
Daveth responds, following them down. "
But wildfire can't hide its true nature, and can't move without help. People can and do."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:28 pm

"
People can, and people do. But not only can people move. They have to. It's easier to see movements. We have criteria for who can and who can not be behind this, but all containers can hold the wildfire. But it's you who have all the pieces of the puzzle, so I'll defer to your better judgement here."

"
I'll wait until after we've gotten this situation under controll, but I hope that you understand that once we have gotten the wildfire I'd like to see a higher authority about the whole mine incident afterwards..."
Yoren shrugs to Daveth apologeticly: "
Nothing personal, I hope you'll understand that. I just want to bring Athelstans death to rest."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next