Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 pm

"
Athelstan's suicide was regrettable, for many reasons."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed) - Page 2 Empty Re: [D3,EA]Delivering Condolences (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:26 pm

"
I understand the desire for closure. But I do have to ask: what closure do you seek from a 'higher authority' that cannot be arranged between us? There's no deeper truths to be exposed - your men saw and heard the whole thing, and we've made no effort to hide anything. We've explained why we acted the way we did, and you're familiar with wildfire. You understand the situation about as well as you ever will. All that remains is the question of what can make this right between us? And that's something no 'higher authority' can determine for you.

"
While now may not be the best time to make such a decision, if we sort this between ourselves, it's personal. I fear that once you ask for higher powers to get involved, so too does politics. And politics doesn't give a damn about laying things to rest properly."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:39 pm

"
Athelstan's suicide was regrettable, for many reasons."

Yoren stops as he sees some barrels out of place while he speaks: "
What suicide? The suicide performed with an arrow through the chest? The suicide performed with 20 drawn bows aimed at your heart? Yes, that suicide was regrettable... Let's just ensure that nobody stages a mass suicide to wildfire in the near future, I don't want to kill myself to wildfire, I feel like that's a bad way to kill myself..."

Finding little but a few malplaced barrels of rainwater he continues walking next to Daveth.

At Daveths coments he tells them: "
Everything is right between us, but everything is wrong too. I'd want all of the heads on spikes, but I don't want anybody to die. I want Athelstan back, and I want him to be at peace. I want havoc, and I want serenity. I want what I cannot have, and I want nothing... In truth I know less about what I want than anybody..."

Yoren trails off a bit, most likely thinking about what he wants, before, after a good minute of silence he tells them:
"
I want my father to have peace. Give my father whatever assurances and whatever apologies he wants, and I'll be happy with it."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:57 pm

"
They were aimed at his knees, not his heart;
I had even said as much. He chose to attack Corrine. He chose to leap to his death rather than face imprisonment. Those were his choices, not mine. Yes, it was a suicide."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:43 pm

"
Well, I have not disputed the fact that it was suicide. He obviously chose to be shot himself."
Yoren taps his chest: "
His knees I suppose was at chest level? Obviously they were. As said, my primary concern is to ensure than nobody kills themselves by immolation. I may have my religion, but I'm not so fanatic that I wish to commit suicide using wildfire. I'd much rather kill myself by having my throat slit in the night."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:01 pm

"
Drakeson arrows were pointed at the knees, and did not shed a drop of his blood. I countermanded the fire order thinking he was heading in my direction - I intended to subdue him for proper questioning. The chest arrow was fired in self-defense by Lady Corrine, and from what I saw did not look fatal, particularly with two skilled healers on hand and another, it turned out, close by. I would highly recommend that you not speak to her of that arrow in the tone you are taking with me - the repercussions of doing so could be... drastic. House Longshore does not have so many friends that they can afford to make powerful enemies - lest their only allies be those who seek to use them for even worse ends."

He smiles, but it doesn't touch his eyes.

"
It is truly in everyone's best interest that this wildfire be found before it is used - wildfire has no friends or foes, it consumes all with equal relish."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm

"
Is that a threat? I don't think that you are in a position to threaten me, unless you intend to call in your archers again?"

Yoren gestures towards the servants milling around: "
unless you have some particularly buxom archers I guess you are out of luck."

"
Corrine had to protect herself from your unlawful intervention. So if you intend to hide behind her skirts, then I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 am

"
You are reading too more into my words than I put into them. I simply meant that some members of House Marsten can be... let's say, 'overly aggressive'... in defending Lady Corrine's honor. Have you heard of the time that Lord Benedict assaulted Daveth's brother over nothing more than wandering eyes? No, if I intended to threaten you, you would not need to question whether or not I was doing so."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 am

"
They'd be aggressive indeed, if I were to talk of their wrongs. However, they usually take their aggressive stance when any weaknesses or flaws is exposed, and I don't intend to expose any flaws. After the machinations you set up, Corrine had little choice."
Yoren stops for a moment before hurriedly adding: "
I'm not saying she's flawless, I'm not that blind. I don't think I put unfairly responsibility on you. I aknowledge that she probably have more severe flaws than most of us combined, I'm just saying that this is not her fault."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:08 pm

"
Machinations? The only machinations involved were Athelstan's planting of false evidence, and attempting to guide others to that false evidence in order to mislead the royal investigation. Or do you deny his guilt? If so, then I'm afraid we would need to interrogate you and your men as well... if not, then you must admit that my actions treating him as anyone would treat any suspected traitor and possible royal assassin were justified. I regret the outcome, but not my actions."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm

"
That sounded very similar to a threat for me: Either agree or I will interrogate you is about as close to a threat as you can get."

Yoren shrugs and looking at Daveth for support he asks: "
Is it just to me that sounds like a threat? Torture if one voices a different opininon?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:56 pm

"
Torture? I do believe you are beginning to exaggerate. Again, that was not a threat - drawing my sword and holding it at your neck would be a threat. I am simply pointing out that if Athelstan's confession was false, then there is another ironborn guilty of falsifying evidence, and the last I checked there were not many in the area - and none would be above suspicion."

He shrugs.

"
It seems to me that it is in your best interest to condemn Athelstan's actions, state that he was acting alone, and be vocal and clear that you and House Longshore had no knowledge of his actions, and that had you known you would have detained him yourself... you wouldn't want anyone to suspect that you or your house were complicit. Some might see that as treason, and who knows what people might do then? I'm no legal expert, but it seems like it would drive away allies, and open up the door to militant action by those already inclined to do so - peace treaty or no. Who would defend a house guilty of treason against an unjust attack? For that matter, the attacking party might rightfully claim to be doing their duty to the crown."

He shakes his head.

"
No, I am not making any threats. I am simply discussing the facts. That those facts may be threatening is not my doing - it was whomever interfered with the royal investigation."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:27 pm

"
You have yet to give any evidence. You litteraly tell me that it would be in my best interest to say something, regardless of what is the truth? You are making threats, and simply to throw me off showing you how I can make your life difficult. However, it has the opposite effect. I already told you that I'd let my father judge you, that I would not do anything myself, but you are starting to make me regret that decision. Lay off with your threats, lay off with your games, lay off with your poorly construed political arguments, or you may force my hands to stop you."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 pm

"
Now who is making threats? Don't be foolish, Yoren. I do not fear you - I have no reason to intimidate or threaten you. You are not a threat - you could be a useful ally, though, and I'd not see you destroy yourself."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:19 pm

"
You see? You know what a threat is, indeed that was a threat. I guess your own threats were not threats, just like your own murders are suicides?"
Yorens voice starts to grow a little harder edge, as he continues with his comments.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:47 pm

"
I am a killer, I make no bones about that - all knights, all warriors are. A murderer though? Don't be ridiculous - I have not shed Athelstan's blood since his kinslaying trial. If your man Njal told you it was a murder then he is a liar. If you don't want to believe me or any of House Coldbrook, ask Lady Corrine. Though again, I suggest you take a humbler tone with her. I will give your insult a pass - once - but there is no reason to think that anyone from House Marsten will be as forgiving... and if you insult me such again, then after we find and dispose of the wildfire, I will face you in a duel of honor. I have seen you fight;
as I said before, I have no fear of you. Tell me though, do you truly wish to make enemies of those who seek to be allies?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:03 pm

"
Spiders leave their nets to capture insects, although the spider does not need to move a single leg, I'd still say that it's the perpetrator behind the dead insect, if you allow the methaphor. Just like you'd call the man behind the wildfire the murderer, not the wildfire itself. And you propose to face me in a duel of honor to prove yourself? That's just as ridicoulus as anything else you've said. Just because you can beat somebody, does not make you right. Just like it does not make you right if you threaten me long enough."

Yoren continues to walk along, though he seems slightly more cautious.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Baelon barks a laugh.
"
You give me too much credit. I am not some plotting mastermind, a spider that laid a trap for Athelstan."

He shakes his head.
"
I know you are angry, and grieving. Do not let that or the inevitable machinations of my enemies drive you into doing something foolish. They would have you destroy yourself just for the sake of annoying me. It's not worth it."

He sighs.
"
In truth, I have enemies who will seek to use this against me regardless of the truth... but your acceptance of the truth and a show of support would go a long way to preventing me future headaches. In return, I will be open about my belief that Athelstan planted the false evidence without your knowledge and not under orders. That should save you significant future headaches - if not the headsman's block. We can help each other, or you can insist on fighting me. Do whatever you feel is in the best interest of yourself and your house."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

"
You still have not given me any evidence. I will see you at the inn when we find out if it really is wildfire laying about."

Yoren turns and leaves Baelon and Daveth to talk.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:34 pm

(Seriously? I'm busy for *one* evening, and this just completely explodes behind my back. Can I at least have one attempt to salvage this situation, since Daveth would have stepped in IC about 10 posts ago?)

Daveth steps between the other two men, one hand towards each, with his palms facing them. "
I pray you both, *PEACE*!"
he turns his head to Baelon. "
Lord Baelon, your words are well-intentioned, but ill-timed. When I lost my brother, it took me over a *year* to finally fully accept that it had truly happened, and I was not simply living in a macabre nightmare. Yoren has had less than an *hour*. Your words are like you were dancing atop freshly burnt skin - you cannot be surprised when pain elicits an unfavourable reaction."

He turns his head to Yoren. "
Yoren, as much as I doubt you can believe me, I do understand your pain. I understand the desire to lash out, to hurt anyone who could be considered responsible. I doubt I can convince you of the truth of things right now, but we can *all* agree that we have higher priorities than getting under each other's skin. The Wildfire. Let us drop this matter entirely, at least for now, and focus on preventing this tragedy from escalating into something worse by working together to try and find it."
his head turns between the other two a couple of times. "
Okay?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Yoren pauses for a second, moving his jaw, not making a sound, like a fish on land, before muttering out something resembling: "
I'm sorry Daveth, I really am."
Like a child he looks to the ground as he speaks.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 pm

"
Agreed - we have all said that finding the wildfire is the first priority."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Daveth gives a small smile, and rests a hand on each man's shoulder, guiding them all towards the exit, but keeping himself inbetween them. "
Good. Thank you. This has been a dark day. Let us see if we can't salvage some good from it."

[And all that remains are the rolls. We may be able to call in support, I'm not sure what rolls we need.]
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 pm

OOC: repost/collation of die rolls posted in house forum (Yoren, I based your assist numbers off of your Salted Fields investigation, please correct any inaccuracies).

Survival:
[url=survival Track][/url]: 4d6k3 10 for trelane
[url=Wf Hunt Coordinate Roll 1 (TN9)][/url]: 4d6 14 +3 (Daveth)

10+1(Baelon Assist)+1(Yoren Assist)+3(Daveth Coordinate) = 15

Persuasion:
[url=Warrior's Seat - Persuasion(Charm)][/url]: 6d6+2 30 2#1d6 2 6 ->
[url=Wf Hunt Coordinate Roll 2 (TN9)][/url]: 4d6 11 +2

30+2(Yoren Assist)+1(Trelane Assist)+2(Daveth Coordinate) = 35[/quote]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:10 pm

[I would be better off coordinating (will 5) but that works too.]

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next