Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed)

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed) Empty [D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:35 am

Corrine and Nathaniel rode for the seat of House Darry, with the intent of examining yet another of the loose ends of the frayed tapestry of the investigation.
Corrine surveyed the lands as they passed through them, her eyes dull with fatigue and stress.

If I never see the wretched Riverlands again, it will be too soon.

She looked to Nathan;

"
What do you think we are like to find here? Do you expect a warm welcome?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed) Empty Re: [D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 am

"
If my informants are correct and they are seeking to make a name for themselves, I expect you will get an exceedingly warm welcome, my Lady. How sincere it will be, I cannot say."

"
My advice would be to play the charming and inexperienced young woman. If they feel they have an advantage over you, and you dangle a large enough carrot before them, they may topple over overreaching for it."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed) Empty Re: [D5, MA] Visiting House Darry (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:03 am

"
That certainly worked well with Luke Seldon, so I shall adopt it again. After Ser Lionel's... display, last year, I am curious to find where the rest of them stand. Do you think this is linked to any of the other incidents? There seems to be a worrying seam of resentment and revolt running through them all, so far."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 am

Nathan shrugged. "
That resentment may have much to do with House Bracken and Blackwood being at each other's throats since before the Andal Invasion. If you had two neighbours that were always trying to kill each other, AND that feud spilled over onto your lands on a regular basis, how would you feel?"

"
Much of that resentment is pointed firmly at Lord Bracken. He is not called the 'Beast of Bracken' for nothing."
Despite being Green, Nathan obviously shared their opinion. "
I wish the Crown would make Lord Bracken a King's guard or something equally innocuous. If his son were to assume control of the Bracken lands, and with Ser Myles having to step carefully as Regent, it might actually lead to a long cessation of hostility, if not peace."

Certainly the Darrys had nothing to do with the Septry attack or the Blackbuckle poisoning. I highly doubt they had anything to do with Lord Blackwood's assassination either. I think they are using the situation as an opportunity for advancement, although I am unwilling to say it is nothing more until I have more information."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:46 am

"
Fair enough,"
Corrine replied, simply. "
Frankly, I am amazed that the feud has lasted so long without one House wiping out the other. Or indeed any intervention. So much life and resources wasted on maintaining a grudge. I cannot imagine what could be worth milennia of fighting."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:05 am

"
Pride, my Lady. Nothing more. It is the one sin that men have perfected to an art form and all society bend to a man's pride. Knights ride into battle for pride, or compete in tournaments for pride. What is glory, after all, but another word for pride? Ser Olyvar did what he did for pride. Lord Tully held his tournament an hid his failures from pride. A man's pride is nurtured constantly and rigorously guarded. It is House Darry's pride that brings us here today. It's not their borders that was most injured by House Bracken, but their pride. It is out of pride that they wish to elevate their position in the world."

"
If you always remember, my Lady, that a man's pride is the bedrock on which almost all his decisions are based, you will fair very well indeed. There is very little a man will not do to ensure his pride in himself or retaliate when his pride is injured. Cater to a man's pride and he will almost always respond favourably. Certainly, there are women who succumb to the sin of pride, although more often it is vanity. However most men think of pride as a part of their being. There are some men who would sooner starve than hurt their pride. The word 'honour' is often mistakenly used as a substitute for pride."

"
And before you ask, yes, I include myself in that. Knowing the danger does not make me immune. I have had some very close calls over the years because my pride got the better of me."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Corrine nodded slowly, processing the advice, her expression thoughtful.

"
What then is the difference between pride and vanity? I would think those the same."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 pm

"
A good question, my Lady, and if you asked ten different people, you would likely get ten different answers."

"
To me, the main difference between vanity and pride is a matter of perspective. A vain man may enjoy the adoration of others, but at the end of the day, the only opinion that truly matters is his own. Opinions that run contrary to that opinion are often dismissed or ignored. So long as what he sees in the mirror meets his approval, and those around him confirm the image he has of himself, he is usually content."

"
The prideful man, on the other hand, depends on the opinion of others around him, more than his own. It is society itself that is his mirror, and any opinions that disagree with the image he sees reflected in society are a threat. He does not try to change things in himself to make a better impression in the mirror;
he tries to change society to better meet his expectations."

"
Pride is also infectious in a way that vanity is not. Insult a vain lord and he will take action against you. Insult a prideful Lord and the insult may spread to his entire House. If the insult is grave enough, or the pride is great enough, it can even spread from generation to generation as we have seen with the Brackens and the Blackwoods."

"
That is not to say vanity cannot be just as dangerous when taken to extremes. Maester Arran did what he did out of vanity. He believed he and he alone had the right and the duty to exact what he deemed justice in Blackbuckle."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:33 pm

"
And, in a few hours, he shall burn for it. Sadly, I fear it will not serve as the cautionary tale it ought to be. Baelon may have been right to say that trying to form a successful peace treaty is a losing battle."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:11 pm

"
I am afraid I am not objective when it comes to Maester Arran."
Nathan replied softly. "
And I don't think it would be prudent to execute him tonight, as much as I might wish it. All the Houses will want to render judgement and denounce the man. I do not think that will come for several days yet. Still, he should see what his handiwork has wrought while it is still there to see in all it destruction. Perhaps the delay in his death will give him the opportunity to search his soul, if he has one."

"
I am afraid I agree with Baelon, as much as I might wish otherwise. You can impose yourself between two men and prevent them from fighting, or you can remove as many weapons as you can to prevent them from harming each other, but you can do nothing to change the men's hatred for each other if neither are willing to see reason."

"
One House worships the Old Gods, the other the New. One House is Black, the other Green. Each House views the other as vile and dishonourable. Each House has legitimate cause for that belief. Time has not healed these wounds, only helped them to fester. The feud will continue so long as anyone on one side still breathes. I am not wise enough to see a solution that would change that, but as Theomore said, we can at least prevent them from fighting for a short period... until the King dies, that is, and all of Westeros is consumed by pride."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 pm

"
Why bother then? Why has the King essentially given us a task that will fail? I cannot just go home and leave them to their fighting, or tell Lord Tully to deal with his own bannermen. Yet, staying here is going to bring every failure upon my own head."

Her expression and tone belied her increasing desperation, and decreasing grip on her own composure.

"
Why am I here, Nathan? Why are any of us here, if it will solve nothing?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:22 am

Nathan reigned his horse up and faced Lady Marsten. He heard her frustration and tried to couch his words carefully, offending her was not his goal.

"
I do not know why you are here, my Lady."

"
I know why you were sent. The feud between the Blackwoods and the Brackens are increasingly causing problems for the Crown. Perhaps they seek justice, although one would have thought they would have done so long before now. More likely the feud is interfering with their future plans and they seek to contain the damage."

"
I know why I am here. The people of these lands have been grievously mistreated and I would try to save as many as I can. I can't save them all. I can't even save most of them, but I can save many of them. I walked into a raging wildfire last night. I saved some people, should I not have bothered since I could not save them all?"

"
If you think Peace is the one and only criteria for success or failure in this situation, then you might as well go home now. You will be disappointed no matter what the outcome. Most of life is far too big, too messy, and too dangerous to be 'solved'. Success is rarely the result of great strides, but more often a series of one ponderous step after another."

"
And yes, sometimes you must keep walking even when you think you will fail, because if you stop taking that next step, there is no doubt you will fail. Should the healers who thought their patients would die not bother trying to help them? Many did move on to other patients. Some did not. Some of them did die. Many did not, but would have if someone had not tried to help them."

"
I don't know why you are here, my Lady. Only you can answer that question, but perhaps, instead of railing against the storm, you should consider what you will do and what you have already done to protect people from that storm. You may not be able to stop the storm, or prevent it coming again, but you can help people weather the storm, and help prepare them for the next."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:33 am

Corrine listened earnestly, Nathan's words creating an upwelling of emotion that she tried to push down. It would not do to lose her composure in public again.

"
I am sorry, Nathan. I must sound so horribly self-indulgent,"
she eventually responded, her head lowered in shame. "
Of course one should not give up. It is just... One is often taught to have a goal. To believe in it whole-heartedly. And, to strive for it. But the goal we were given is impossible. And I am afraid of the consequences of failure. We have helped people, and we will help more, thanks to you, but that is not the task we were given. I don't even understand why us, not the liege lord of the Riverlands. I am finding it so hard to trust anyone, even myself, so it all culminates in me feeling like this is all some cruel trick."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 am

Nathan smiled softly. "
I wish I had answers for you, my Lady. Perhaps some wish to hold you up as an icon of what a woman can do in a position of authority. Perhaps some hope you will fail miserably and prove that women are not fit to be in positions of authority. Whether that is the reason, or something else, the fact is you do have the authority. It is up to you how that authority is used."

"
If you cannot garner real peace, a symbolic one may be enough for the time being. If both Houses are suitably chastised but escape with their pride intact, you may yet gain a semblance of the success you seek. A handshake between Ser Myles and Lord Bracken would be success beyond what anyone expects. You are a clever woman. If the goal they have set for you is beyond anyone's reach, redefine the goal. If you exceed everyone's expectations, then they can hardly fault you for not reaching a goal they themselves could not attain."

"
Trust is hard. If you have a few people you can truly trust, that is more than most because trust must be on both sides. For example, you trust me to give you my honest opinion, and I trust you not to execute me when I tell you things you don't want to hear."
Nathan gives Corrine as sardonic grin.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 am

She returned the smile.

"
I could never execute you, my dear,"
she laughed. "
You are too pretty."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:56 am

"
Let us hope, should my luck run out, whatever noble I have offended will feel the same."

"
I have no wish to go to the Wall, but I think I would do well enough there if I had to."
he grins.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:21 am

Corrine chuckled amiably, the shift in mood welcome.

"
Well, since they only have a problem with taking wives and fathering sons, I am sure you could get by. I expect it's not your sort of weather though."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 am

"
I don't know."
Nathan said with an impish smile. "
There are always was to keep warm: fur, fire... friends."

"
I think the drabness would bother me more. Hard to keep your spirits up in a place where everything around you is mostly black, white, or grey. All a little grim I would think."

"
Speaking of grim."
his head bobbed. "
We seemed to have arrived. I don't understand why the keeps in this area must all look like gaols. Highgarden is one of the most defensible castles in Westeros and it's gorgeous."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:41 am

"
I like your fur, fire, and friends idea,"
Corrine smirked, a plan for another time concocting in her mind. "
This place looks in need of warming up, certainly. I am sure we can brighten it up with our winning personalities,"
she quipped, following him onwards.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:02 am

House Darry's nearest holding is indeed a drab thing. Forkfort is almost as old as their seat at Darry and scarcely more imaginatively named. The family had paid dearly for its sympathies to the faith militant.

Bread and salt is offered as the party is ushered in, with the sturdy Lord Joffrey Darry and his slender young wife, Clayre.

Ser Kevan Darry favours Lady Marsten with a smile as she enters, while he does not know her personally, he respect her Knight of the Gates, Ser Kevan Lyras.

"
Seven shelter the royal investigators, and welcome to our hall at Forkfort,"
intones Lord Darry piously.

Ser Robb Darry, Lord Darry's second son, looks on cusiously as he stands guard beside his father's throne.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:33 am

"
My Lord Darry."
says Nathan with the precisely appropriate formal bow. "
Allow me to introduce Lady Corrine Marsten. Chief investigator and final arbiter of the Crown's investigative forces. You may know, of course, Ser Jon Roxton, military adjunct and member of Lady Marsten's investigative tribunal. I am Nathaniel Mason, investigation adviser of House Bartheld."

Of course, Lord Darry knew who all of them were, but by the man's tone, a little formality would not go amiss... and if the rumors were true and he wished to elevate his House's standing, subtle reminders of authority would not hurt either.

"
The Seven lay blessings on your House. We are grateful for your welcome. We only regret that our visit was not under more pleasant circumstances."

[General read on the room: [url=House Darry - Awareness (Empathy)][/url]: 4d6k3 12 ]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:41 pm

"
House Darry thanks you for your Blessing and returns it in kind."

"
These are indeed unkind days, with the unkindness stretching even to those who would have no part in this quarrel,"
says Lord Joffrey Darry, sonorously.

"
House Darry has no part in this quarrel, but war seems to find my lands all the same. Winter was unkind and we have no desire to bring sword and flame to disrupt the king's peace, yet I cannot call myself lord if I do not protect my people and borders."

[OOC: awareness result via PM]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Corrine met each of them with a polite smile as she curtsied to Lord Darry. Her tone was formal, but with an edge of empathy and charm;

"
My Lord, thank you for receiving us. You are justified in your concerns. I know I would feel the same if it were my own lands. We intend to investigate the areas that are stages of conflict, and see what can be done to secure your lands, as we cannot rely upon a millennia-long feud ending now, with just the will of a few mortals, though we can but hope."

[url=Persuasion - Charm][/url]: 6d6k5 17[url=Attractive reroll][/url]: 2d6 4
Total = 19
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Lord Darry smiles at Corrine's graces, with Lady Clayre responding warmly too.

"
My Lady Marsten, you will have displayed the wisdom of the Father and the fortitude of the Smith if you can forge even a temporary peace between the horse and the blackened tree."

"
Singers would adapt the songs sung for Jaehaerys the Conciliator himself to praise you if the peace sees out the spring. But what of Darry? As I said, war unbidden visits us. Our restraint cannot last forever."

The latter part was flattery, but not far short of the truth.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Corrine smiles gratefully, though does not bask in the flattery. She continues in an air of amiable efficiency.

"
Of course. I did not mean to imply that House Darry is not a priority. I only meant that I am trying to address both cause and symptom. But yes, let's talk of House Darry itself. Houses Blackwood and Bracken have earned chastisement for letting their feud cause suffering to their neighbours, but that is little use when there is real damage done. Rather than second guess you, why don't you speak to me of what you would like to see happen, to keep the fight away from Darry lands in future, and repair what has already been damaged. If you have accounts of your losses too, that would be useful."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next