Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek Empty [D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:35 am

The day had started out rough and only mellowed slightly if at all. Ben's new assignment with Yoren had left him little time with Corrine. He knew the weight he felt was minuscule to the load his lady wife was carrying. The growing rift between Marsten and Drakeson, the mistrust, the missteps, the deaths, the wildfire attack, the list went on. That is why he felt a short repast was needed.

The fires burned low in their braziers this late in the evening. A small platter of cheese and berries lay arranged on the table along with a bottle or Dornish red. A wrapped package with a note is left on the bed in Lady and Lord Marsten's tent when Corrine arrives for the evening.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek Empty Re: [D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:59 am

Just a little quiet. That's all I want right now. I don't care if the realm butns to ash around me. Just let me not have to worry about it for a while. Gods, each day has been more awful than the last.

Corrine breathed a huge sigh of relief when the tent flap closed behind her, and she removed her cloak, draping it over a nearby chair, and unpinning her hair from it's contained coiff, letting the black waves spill down her back. She noticed the food and drink on the table as she laid down the silver hair clasps.

Well, I was planning on throwing myself on the bed and crying myself to sleep, but this is much better. Best get into something more comfortable first.

She allowed herself a little smile, assuming that this was Ben's doing, and it buoyed her heart a little to think of him. She plucked up a raspberry from the platter, and ate it on her way through to the sleeping area of the tent, enjoying it's balance of sweetness and tartness. She had started to undo her dress when she spotted the package on the bed, and she abandoned the fiddly task to examine it. She took up the note and unfolded it, her brow raised in curiosity.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek Empty Re: [D5,LE-LN] A break at the Bridge over Briar Creek

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:23 am

(ooc:note handled by PM)
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:39 am

Corrine cannot help but smile at Ben's note. His invitation for her to meet him secretly intrigued her.

Oho! A game of yours? Very well then.

As suggested, she partook of the food and wine he had left for her, though was too eager to know what he was planning to tarry too long. She donned the smallfolk garb that the package had contained. A dusky blue shift, roughspun shoes, and a shawl.

In her new disguise, she snuck out past the picket line, to the place Ben said he'd be waiting.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:04 pm

If not for being familiar with Ben's rounsey, Rose, Corrine may have mistook the figure holding her reins. She was saddled and ladden with two full bags. Ben stood at her side, hood up on his dark cloak over, simple breeches. His sword still sat at his hip.

He turns at Corrine's approach. His crooked grin stretching tightly across his face. He offers her his hand to assist her into the saddle.

"
Good evening, Miss."
He says with a wink.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:35 pm

She looked up at him, wide-eyed, then grinned impishly, taking his offered hand to help her up.

"
Good evening, ser,"
she replied, with quiet amusement. "
Where are we off to?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Pulling himself into the saddle behind her he adjusts the reins around them. His body close to hers, is instantly warmed. He draws in a her scent through his nostrils. Then with an exhale he answers.

"
With no 'trophy room' here for our escape, I have found us the next best thing. You will see."
He smiles playfully.

He prodded Rose along down the somewhat muddy dirt road. Their passing stirring little attention, two young smallfolk on a worn Rounsey.

"
This evening we are simply a man and a woman, not Lord and Lady. Leave the weight and troubles remain here."
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:49 pm

She leaned backwards a little against him, as he led Rose into the woods.

"
Some time off from all this would be wonderful. My beloved is such a thoughtful man,"
she grinned, the gesture warming her heart.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:53 am

After a short time some lights can be seen. A few buildings silhouettes can be made out. Ben edges Rose along a small creek bed, that angles towards the growing silhouettes.

Ben leans his lips in close to Corrine's ear to whisper. "
This place is know as the Bridge and the creek is Briar creek. When I left Hartshorn"
he smiles to himself thinking about the dark haired young Marsten girl he thought hardly knew his name. Then frowns thinking of the quick witted blonde one he had mooned over. "
as a knight I came into House Blackwoods service and here is where I served most of my time."

Corrine may recall it is also where he recently aided the late Lord Blackwood in dealing with raids, not long after there wedding and return to Hartshorn.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:35 am

"
It must hold many memories for you then. Happier times?"
she asked, paying more attention to her surroundings, now that she was aware of their significance.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:04 pm

"
Happier than the last few days perhaps, but not happier than my time since our reunion at Riverrun last year."
A silly grin on his face as his eyes cover her in his loving gaze.

The bridge for which the place is named appears ahead crossing over the swollen creekbed. Its stone arch rising only a foot or so over the water. On the Blackwood side of the creek sits three squat buildings. Low light can be seen through the unshuttered Windows.

A lone figure rises from a seated place at the base of the bridge. His light armor and spear mark him as a man at arms.

"
Aye, 'at you Ben?"
the bushy bearded man cocks his head straining to see in the low light.

"
Yes, Martyn. A quiet evening I hope? Thank you again."
Ben rides up next to Martyn and tosses him a stag.

"
Quiet aye. Think you put t'fear in 'em trouble makers."
As if he had forgotten something, he hastily removes his cap and gives an awkward bow. "
Milady."

His busted smile is only slightly hidden behind his scraggly beard, but sincere all the same.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:01 pm

"
Hello there,"
Corrine smiles brightly at Martyn.

Once out of earshot, she giggles to Ben;

"
You've been plotting, I see."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:19 pm

He smiles devilishly. "
Sam is not the only sneaking one in house Marsten."

They slowly pass the group of homes. Ahead looms a large mill on the waters edge and an old barn surrounded by a makeshift livestock fence.

He brings Rose to a stop directly outside the barn, its worn plank door sits ajar to the darkness inside. The smell of livestock is prominent but not over whelming. Sliding from the saddle with silence and caution he offers his hand to Corrine.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:55 pm

"
Clearly! I am impressed!"
Corrine laughs, accepting his hand and deftly dismounting. She continues to hold his hand.

"
Is there anything you need me to do?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:57 pm

"
Not just yet."
Keeping her hand he let's his thumb caress her knuckles. Taking Rose's reins he leads his two female companions into the dark of the barn. Once inside he rustles through his saddlebag.

In the dark it is hard to make out what he is doing as he kneels on the ground. Once the sparks began to fly in time with the grating striking sound it becomes obvious. In seconds a large candle is lit.

The small fire does little to aid in surveying their surroundings. It does create many frolicking shadows amongst the barns depths. Their narrow area of illumination is quite neat and tidy.

"
Now my smallfolk wife, will you help me with Rose?"
Pulling the heavy bags from her flanks he throws them over a stall. Pulling out an apple and brush he offers them out to Corrine.

"
Ser Markus always said small tasks and manual labors helped clear the head and calm the heart."
He gives a challenging smile.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:46 pm

She smiles amusedly, taking the apple in one hand, and the brush in the other.

"
Ser Markus is a fine knight and a good man. I shall trust his opinion,"
she replies, holding the apple, flat-palmed, under Rose's velvety snout. The horse quickly sniffs the offering, and accepts it, munching lazily. Corrine pets Rose's neck with her now free hand, as she begins to brush the horse's hair in long, slow sweeps.

"
She's so good-natured,"
Corrine comments, softly, continuing to gently brush Rose.

"
You're right. Well, Ser Markus is too. It is surprisingly soothing."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Ben watches her every move lovingly, as he methodically removes the worn leather saddle from the horse back. "
She is a good girl, but has had much experience that lends to her calm good-nature."

He continues his duties checking her shoes and rubbing her down. Occasionally popping his head over the horses back or under her belly to to make funny faces at Corrine.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:18 pm

"
Well, she has put up with you all this time. She must be used to it,"
Corrine jests, poking her tongue out at her husband, in response to his face-pulling antics.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:37 pm

He springs around the horse forcefully embracing her from behind. Kissing her exposed neck in quick short bursts so his stubble tickles her skin. "
Are you ready for supper yet?"
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Being grabbed suddenly makes her squeak, her skin bristling at his tickly kisses.

"
Yes! What are we having?"
she replies, trying to twist in his arms to tickle him.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Backing out of their embrace and staying clear of her tickling hands, he moves to the saddle bag. Removing a stoppered clay jug he pulls out the cork, a light steam venting out. Placing his nose close to the opening he inhales.

"
Well I would say leak soup. I also grabbed some hard biscuits and more a-p-p-l-e-s."
He gives Rose a weary I as he spells out apple.

Setting down the soup he gathers out two wooden bowls and then another clay jug. "
I also grabbed this."
He proffers Corrine the jug. "
Redwain Cider. There is word going on about it. No goblets sorry. Or spoons for that matter. We continue our smallfolk game."

Ben quickly throws down Roses's saddle blanket. Then begins pouring soup and laying out the biscuits and apples, tossing one to Rose. He eases his backside onto the blanket looking up at Corrine.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 pm

"
You have put so much effort into this game. It's very sweet. Really, Ben, I appreciate it. Getting away from... all that. I needed to escape. You have rescued me,"
she smiles sweetly.

She sips her soup from the bowl, cupping the rounded wooden vessel in both hands, making a little hum of simplistic pleasure on inhaling the aroma of the nourishing food.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Ben noisily slurps at his soup, pausing to gnaw on a biscuit. "
It is the least I can do, my love."

Bringing the bowl to his lips, he downs his well cooled soup and pops the remaining piece of biscuit in his mouth. Reclining back onto his elbows he gives her a puffed cheek smile.

"
This very barn is where I laid my head most nights."
His eyes scan the loft.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:39 pm

"
Really?"

Corrine was genuinely surprised.

"
Why didn't you have a bed?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:01 pm

He laughs. "
As you saw on the way in, accommodations are few here."
Again he chuckles. "
And you would be surprised how... alluring a knight can be to young impressionable girls and some grown woman."
His eyes widen in mock surprise at the last.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next