Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D6:ME] Blackbuckle Requiem (Open)

5 posters

Go down

[D6:ME]  Blackbuckle Requiem (Open) Empty [D6:ME] Blackbuckle Requiem (Open)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:51 pm

The first pyre to be lit was the largest. Laying upon it were those who could not be identified, either because they had decayed beyond recognition, the placement of their body had shed no light on their identity, or there was no-one left alive who knew them. The last body to be laid had been the boy in the alley, and Nathan had done so himself.

He also held the torch, waiting for the sign to light the fire as the monks finished their benedictions. The mourners waited too;
candles in their hands to light the soul's way, or pine boughs to lay upon the fires.

When the final chants faded away, silence fell upon the field. Nathan waited for those to give their final silent prayers for the departed and then lit the fire.

As the wood caught and the fire spread through the pyre, he began to sing. His beautiful tenor voice carrying through the field and beyond.

Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle would one day see such upheaval?
Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle would fall to one man’s evil?
Did you know
that Blackbuckle would soon be made anew?
This village that did suffer, delivered unto you.

Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle, the sight that gives such pain?
Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle, the site where horrors reigned?
Did you know
that in Blackbuckle, as we walk on poisoned land,
When we ask why such a thing must be, please help us understand.

Father did you know.. Ooo Ooo Ooo

Those blind shall see.
Those deaf shall hear.
Those numb shall feel again.
The dead shall rest.
The hurt shall heal.
Such Faith we have in you.

Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle to you our Faith sustains?
Father, did you know
that Blackbuckle will one day rise again?
Did you know
that in Blackbuckle we pray on bended knees?
Those forever sleeping shall rest with you in peace.

[OOC: I am not a song writer. I have simply altered the lyrics of the Christmas song 'Mary did you know', the Pentatonix arrangement. I thought it translated well for the situation.]

Rolls for narrative purposes. (Mechanics are based off the singing contest from story 1. viewtopic.php?f=65&
t=657
)

[url=Requiem (Knowledge)][/url]: 6d6k4+3 20
[url=Requiem (Cunning)][/url]: 5d6k4+3 22

[url=Requiem (Persuasion)][/url]: 9d6k7+3 37

Thread is open to anyone who wishes to be present and pay their respects to the people of Blackbuckle.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D6:ME]  Blackbuckle Requiem (Open) Empty Re: [D6:ME] Blackbuckle Requiem (Open)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Corrine stood in silent, sombre observance, hands folded.

So much death and suffering. Too much.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D6:ME]  Blackbuckle Requiem (Open) Empty Re: [D6:ME] Blackbuckle Requiem (Open)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Daveth was present, sombre. The ceremony was understandably aimed at gods he no longer worshipped, but he hoped that witnessing this ceremony, having exposed the poisoner, would allow him to lay the ghosts of the dead here to rest in his own mind.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Terren Dulver Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Terren was in attendance as well, his usual smile non-existent as he watches the procession, his eyes filled with sorrow at the waste of innocent lives.
To think this feud has been going on for centuries, millennia even, how many lives have been destroyed in this endless war and can we even stop the feud between these two houses?
After a moment of contemplation, he visibly shakes his head and his resolve strengthens.
No, we must put an end to this conflict, permanently.

Terren Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:21 am

[I am sure someone could write a melody for the lyrics if they wanted to.]

In attendance with Daveth as his retinue(or with it) are Loreia and her pet. The Shieldmaiden's hound lies bored on the wet ground, lifting his head to the break in the monotony when the pyre is lit. The statue beside him in turn skips a beat when she hears Nathaniel's song. At intervals, her eyes close in silent prayer along to the dirge of Blackbuckle. Badger sighs deeply.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Corrine quietly approaches Daveth, once people begin to disperse.

"
My Lord Daveth. Might we speak?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Daveth is wary, and careful in his words, remembering well her waspish words the prior day. Still, he does his best to avoid seeming overly distant, and hopes his mood would, not entirely falsely, be attributed to their surroundings. He gives a small smile. "
Of course, Lady Corrine."
and moves to give them a little more privacy, without going so far as to invite gossip.

What's on your mind? No, she might take that to imply she only has room for one thought.

How can I help? No, comes across as too needy and self-effacing.

How may House Coldbrook be of assistance? Too formal and distant.

What's the matter? Implies that the only reason she'd talk to me is because there's something she can't handle.

Gah! I swear, it wasn't this hard before.

She's made clear that there's as big a social gap between you and her as there is between her and a Lord Paramount. Just keep quiet until she indicates you should speak. Silence has caused far fewer problems than even the fanciest of words.

Having taken the few steps to give them some distance, Daveth turns to Lady Corrine, obviously giving her his full attention.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Corrine folds her hands and meets Daveth's gaze.

"
Before anything else, I wish to apologise for my rudeness when last we met. I have been under a degree of pressure I have never felt before, but I should have had more self-control. I hope you can forgive me."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Daveth gives a quite obvious sigh of relief, and his smile briefly becomes a bit wider. "
Lady Corrine, I understand completely. I, too, have said regrettable words to close friends from stress."
he makes a dismissive gesture. "
Apology accepted, gladly.

"
So, what is the main subject at hand?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:39 pm

"
Things with Lord &
Lady Drakeson are pacified, for now, but it has come to my attention that other Houses are moving in troublesome ways. Some of them may impact on House Coldbrook. Were you aware that Houses Dulver and Longshore are getting cosy, and Terren Dulver had the nerve to try and garner my support for a blatant Green power grab?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Daveth sighs again, but this time in frustration. "
No. Unfortunately, my attentions have been so focused on the investigation, and doing my best to avert calamities, like the Wildfire Plot and the would-have-been uprising, with varying degrees of success, I've been pretty much blind to all the political manoeuvrings."
he shakes his head in frustration. "
So much to do, and only one body to do it in. I need to get married."
he mutters that last bit more to himself than Lady Corrine.

As he says that, an old conversation drifts into his mind. Lady Gwyneth's words, when he made them the offer of becoming his banner house. "
It's not easy keeping the big picture in mind when you have crises you're dealing with all around you. Even in a House as connected as Marsten, keeping abreast of the kingdom can seem like a distant task. But that, I think, is a good way to be blindsided by developments that seem to be coming from nowhere, but in reality had been brewing for some time."

"
It's a difficult balance, but one that every House, large and small, must be mindful of."

And you clearly still haven't learned it.

"
Still, while I've not met the man, what you say about Ser Terren doesn't actually surprise me. House Dulver seems to be stuffed with lunatics and imbeciles."
he pauses. "
Actually, Ser Jorah mentioned having some dealings with a commoner archer of theirs who seemed to have his head on straight, but that's the only good word I've heard about any of them.

"
Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. Do you have suggestions as to what could be done about them? Ordinarily, I might suggest that I speak with Yoren, but I feel his half-brother's death is still too recent for my presence to be welcome. Once he's had some time to deal with his grief, I might be able to, but not now. I know all too well the irrationality of the pain he's suffering through."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

"
Ah, Luecian Longbow. Yes, he has seemed a decent fellow so far, but, as you say, the leadership of House Dulver seems sadly lacking. I'm not sure if they are malicious, incompetent, or both, but either way, I would strongly advise against agreeing to any deals with them, if they approach you. When the time comes tomorrow to discuss the treaty, be very wary of what they try to push. You should warn Baelon &
Gwyn too. If you have the resources, keep an eye on them. They clearly want to get their slimy tendrils into the other investigators. Probably to influence the outcome of the treaty in their favour. Ben &
I were not the only Black party whom they have targeted. I heard that Walton Dulver attacked Ser Eoric Tully with a greatsword in what was supposed to be a friendly spar! What kind of maniac does such a thing, if not to try to do harm or intimidate?"

She shakes her head and sighs heavily.

"
I would be careful what you say to Yoren too. The word is that he is now in the Dulvers' pocket. I expect he's been promised some manner of protection from the repercussions of Athelstan's actions."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Daveth gapes for a few seconds at the revelation of what Ser Walton did. "
By the gods. I'm no martial expert, but even I recognise the dangers there."
he pauses. "
A martial man skilled in such a weapon would undoubtedly be cognisant of the dangers."
he lowers his voice, and looks Lady Corrine steadily in the eyes. "
Given the colours involved, are we of one mind that that was not a friendly spar? Rather, it was an attempted deniable assassination?

"
However, in House Dulver's defence, I would mention that we did loan them the use of our cavalry to protect against Ser Benjen's Blackguards, and the deal went through without any issues. It seems likely that Lord Harald Dulver himself is competent. Just perhaps not so much so in choosing representatives. Or raising heirs."

He nods at her words on Yoren. "
I am always careful when speaking with Yoren. While I personally consider him a friend, we are both aware that our houses' ultimate interests may lie in different directions. Plus, he has displayed a shocking lack of sense on occasion - I still remember well his arguing with Lord Tully at the tournament last year, so I always try and bear in mind how my words to him may be used against me, wittingly or not."

He frowns. "
Although what repercussions does he fear? As far as I'm aware, Athelstan acted alone, and has already been punished by his own hand as far as he can be. Beyond a bit more embarrassment for his house, about which I doubt much could be done by anyone, at least. Have there been developments on that front?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:49 pm

"
I have had a sharp awakening here, about trust. And I don't trust the Dulvers. I think that colour was very much a factor. I think he wanted plausible deniability. Coupled with Terren's attempts to spirit Benji away to a Green House, I'd say they are trying to absorb or eliminate whatever Blacks they can, amid the opportune chaos of the situation. I am glad you are being cautious. Yoren may just be trying to spare himself embarrassment, but it comes amid talk that he is not fit to inherit, and that he may have known of Athelstan's treachery. He's marrying his sister off to a greenlander who is close with the Dulvers too, so that would give him one less bit of opposition when his father dies."

Corrine fixes Daveth with an earnest gaze.

"
I too have counted Yoren as a friend, but I have deep reservations about his relationship with these grasping Dulvers."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:06 pm

"
One less bit? With Roddric slain, Athelstan having taken his own life, and Lady Alya married off, I don't think he has *any* competition left. People may rumble that he's not right, but he's all that's left, unless they want to completely go against custom."

He sighs. "
Do you think ... I should speak with Yoren? And offer to lend my voice in support that he was entirely ignorant and innocent of his brother's misdeeds? Mayhap if I can help minimise the threat he feels, he might reconsider involving himself too deeply with House Dulver. Given ... the circumstances, I think my voice may carry more weight on that matter than it normally would."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 pm

"
That might help. Perhaps he is not aware of Ser Walton's troubling behaviour. He has been kind to Ben &
I before. I want to believe he is merely misguided in this. And, well, as you say, he may be more likely to listen to you."

She fixes him with a sad look.

"
I am sorry to burden you with such things, but, with the recent difficulties we've had, I wanted to show you that my disagreement with Baelon does not prevent me from looking out for my friends."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:30 pm

Daveth gives a small, sad smile, and speaks in a soft voice. "
I appreciate that. And I'm glad that you were able to settle things between you."
he gives a slightly lopsided smile. "
Maybe next time we meet, we can go the whole period without a flare-up of some kind between our houses."
he adds with a snort.

"
And I'm in no position to complain about burdens, least of all to you. I can only imagine how much stress you're under. I may technically only be the heir, but I still feel the weight of carrying my house as a heavy burden indeed. My House is undoubtedly far lighter than yours, and you've got the ultimate responsibility for the treaty on top."
he shrugs. "
Adding Yoren to my burdens is hardly onerous in those circumstances."

He takes a breath. "
And I'm a friend. Regardless of if you want to reaffirm our friendship or not, know that you can talk to me when you want help. Maybe I can help, maybe I can't. But I can at least listen. And sometimes, maybe all you need is a sympathetic ear and a fresh perspective."
he gives a rather self-effacing grin. "
Although if you do want me to talk, I've heard rumours that I've been known to utter the odd word or two on occasion."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Corrine smiles sympathetically.

"
Now now, Daveth. We both know you are a charming and eloquent man when it matters. Better to say but a few good words than a thousand worthless ones."

She gives his arm a reassuring squeeze.

"
I thank you for your kindness. It has been a difficult week, trying to deal with all this. But, tomorrow, we get to take it somewhat out of our hands, and I think we have a real chance to do some good."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 pm

"
Thank you."
Daveth nods. "
I hope you're right about doing some good."
he sighs. "
And I hope this place has no more nasty surprises left for us."

He steps back and bows. "
Good luck on the morrow. I feel you will need it more than anyone."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:29 pm

"
Thank you, Daveth."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down