Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend Empty D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:33 pm

Ereth will hold true to his word and invite the Marsten and specifically in person Ser Kevan Lyras, a knight of worth and in high hopes some day he could sway him to join his House if he could, and if not at least his friendship. Let us hope he is even here, and to have some breakfast I'm famished...

Stopped by the guards doing their job properly, a smile adorns Ereth's face for their diligence "
Lord Ereth Redwain to see Ser Kevan Lyras"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend Empty Re: D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:55 pm

"
Straight into camp, the first tent on the left, M'lord."
, the guard answered pointing to a smaller tent, which was open with the flaps bound to the tent posts.

As Lord Redwain approached the tent, he could see Ser Kevan sitting inside, a number of tomes lying around him and the knight himself focused on studying a particular one, which appeared to contain some sort of map.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend Empty Re: D7 - MM - Invitation for a new friend

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:34 pm

"
Good Morning Ser Kevan, you are always surprising me. Now you are also a scholarly knight, do you need help in a subject?"
curiously looking at the tomes to see what had the knight so interested "
Yet I'm here to invite you to a tournament and my wedding in person as well as Lord and Lady Marsten if they would so grace my tournament and wedding"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Samurel Entered the very same tent via the back, the Marsten Pavilon had the odd habit of working in Samurels favor on occasion, And such a surprise as this as he so loathed mornings.

With eyes half open and a visable depth to the baggy eyes, Samurel greeted both Kevan and Ereth

"
I hope I am not intruding, the morning light seems to have caught me in the eyes and awoken me... how I do hate the mornings... I don't quite understand how you can be up so early reading books Kevan... And who is this? By the Clothing I'd suspect a noble but I don't very much enjoy making too many assumptions. What may I refer to you as?"

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:00 pm

"
Sam, this is Lord Redwain a vassal of House Frey."
turning to his guest: "
Welcome Lord Redwain. Yes, I am indeed reading, though it is not something I do very often... Our maester helped me to gather some tomes on the great military leaders of the past. I hope to learn something I can use on the field of battle.

A wedding and a tourney? Thank you for the invitation, I happily accept. When and where will it take place?

May I interest you in some breakfast?"

Kevan pointed over to the table in the middle of the pavillon.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Raising an eye brow at such insulting form and manners, but he was here for something better and wouldn't let such trivial thing get in the way, and with an inquisitive look to measure the man no in front of him A noble man, to speak with such balls to me and in such manner as if he was some kind of lord paramount or a son of a greater House in the riverlands?.

"
Perhaps you might have heard of me as Ser Ereth Frey"
Ereth smiles at him "
Perhaps some water to wash off that face you have, and maybe find a better one afterwards a bit more awake and ready Sam"

"
I was a commander during my time in the Stepstones, I was more of a siege master and defending from siege, then open battles, but I am rather well versed in that subject of Leading men in times of war"
shrugging his shoulders "
Happy to know you accepted my invitation, I would be honored to have a House Lyras and hopefully Marsten shields to decorate my Hall in gratitude of your valiant display saving lady Sabitha"

His eyes widen not caring much of the obviousness of it "
Do not mind if I do, I'm famished this morning for some reason"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Looking towards Ereth, Samurel wanted to see what he meant by his words.
[url=Awareness (Empathy)][/url]: 5d6k4 18
(Assumption taken that his TN for noticing such is less then 18)

There comes upon a spark in Samurel's eyes, more like a glint as his face turns to one of regret and shame.

"
I am most sorry Ser Ereth, I did not mean any ill will or misconstrued offense, I'm but a humble second son when compared to yourself Lord. You may call me what you wish, but most refer to me as Samurel, Manderly"

A moment looking towards Kevan

"
Kevan, Do you fancy yourself up for some knife work Sparring? Not your usual choice but I've been feeling rusty as of late"

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 pm

"
I might be able to show yo some or give some pointers, if Ser Kevan does not to talk strategy"
waving off the apology "
No need, you had just woken up, and I earned my place through deed, I'm not even a second born son like you, just a one Frey of many cut of a different cloth like lord Forrest"
eating his breakfast and enjoying every single bite of it, making it look more tasteful than it probably was "
I can't tell you to come join me after all, it is not my table, but the food is delicious, and I won't fight in an empty stomach"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Kevan led the two of them over to the table and motioned for a servant to bring refreshments.

"
If Lord Redwain is interested in sparring with you, that would suit well, as you see, I have some reading to catch up on.
It was a fortunate coincidence. I was stumbling into the fire looking to help and she was the first body I came across. But if you would like to have a shield to decorate your halls, I happily bring you a decorated one to the wedding."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 pm

"
That would be a true honor, and of course your House words in a small parchment to hang under the shield"
Ereth smiles "
Before I spar and while we have refreshments "
What type of warfare interests you Ser Kevan?"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Samurel made his way to the table, grabbing a slice of cheese, taking a knife and carefully slicing it as thinly as possible, an amatuerish attempt at a culinary art but one that fit his purposes.

Rolling it up within a slice of smoked ham and proceeding to eat it, taking a small measure of whatever drink the rest were having to wash it down with.

"
I must warn you Ser, I was never the best among my brothers with a blade, and the rust on my hand's wit is sure to show through even more.

Never was much for Warfare or Strategy either. I do remember my father and the Maester giving me lectures upon lectures on my inattentiveness... simpler times for sure...

Perhaps whilst we eat and drink you two could talk to me or teach me a bit of strategy, I suspect you'll be much better tutors then either my father or the Maester, and good company and good talk is always so hard to find."

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Kevan smiled at his visitor's interest in House Lyras' sigil. "
I will see what I can do. Well, I am interested on anything that helps me to win the battles I fear I will have to face soon, be it open field clashes, seafaring ship battles or sieges. I had one of the best teachers I can imagine regarding my knightly abilities, but my experience in battles is not as extensive as I like."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 pm

"
I can help you with open battles and siege... more siege than anything, but have you ever fought a siege or open battle against professional soldiers, defend a fort from land and sea?"
Ereth is now interested and engaging Ser Kevan like an old friend "
You need engineers Ser Kevan, they are vital in any fight and to repair fortifications, and you must be wise to invest in some siege weapons, preferably light and easy to move unless you are doing guerrilla warfare or expecting to garrison a place for a long period of time than get heavier siege weapons"

"
I believe always that a good infantry with supporting units will win you any battle Ser Kevan, as long as your men can follow command and don't break under your leadership"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 pm

Kevan shook his head, "
No, I have no experience with sieges. My experience includes mainly smaller scale battles and skirmishes. Nothing that would compare to an actual war, fortunately. With sieges, there comes an even greater challenge, the problem of logistics, no? How long have you been at the stepstones? What was your longest siege, Lord Ereth?"
, the Marsten knight leaned forward, eager to hear from someone who had some experience in the subject.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:09 pm

"
Logistics is important, but you should know how long can you withstand a siege, and what areas are expendable and which ones are not, were do you place your wounded, and such things, but all that shifts depending on what your enemy has brought to assail you"
Ereth looks down 'Truly no siege is the same "
All you can do is prepare for the most common things and adapt to the other elements like tunnelers under your walls, trebuchets, or any other thing like bloated corpses to spread disease and the stench of death among your men"

"
My longest siege was a against Faalih Sands the Bastard of Hellgate Hall, I defended the Summer Spire a tower of some importance and we were in those days losing ground, since the Prince had left the Stepstones, but some of us had to defend and garrison such places until his return. Faalih came at us with infantry, archers, trebuchets, ladders, and towers. He lobbed rock at us for 2 days to cause havoc and damage, the third day he sent flaming oil to cover his advance with ladders and towers, followed by a rain of arrows, this lasted for some weeks, rinse and repeat, some times he would send the heads of those unfortunate to have been captured and bloated corpses of animals. I lost count on how many times we destroyed his trebuchets by shooting them down with scorpions, but just like us the brought more men to man them or repaired them, buying us moments or days of respite. I had garrison a garrison, engineers to man the scorpions and our only catapult at the top of the tower, and archers and we build a decent sturdy wall with some stone to reinforce it were needed but it lasted 2 days, it was the first thing they destroyed"
a grim face "
I lost half my archers and garrison by the end of the first week to boulders, arrows or sickness, the rest of the garrison learned to shoot with bows and crossbows before long to keep returning fire, but they never broke. They couldn't. The heads that he lobbed at us reminded them that their fate was to kill as many as they could and maybe live, or surrender and die beheaded or worse, by the end of the week he finally began to assault in earnest of the tower, we set traps and around the perimeter, but some were destroyed by the boulders, but they did the job to slow down the incoming wave of dornishmen and gave us a few extra shots, their tower landed on our side and we kept the gate from being broken for the day, dropping hot oil and their own rocks they so nicely provided us with. Honestly at the end the last charge of Faalih the Summer Spire was half rubble and more a ruin than an actual tower, with only the first two floors fully functioning, and Faaligh never suspected I had one scorpion left standing, I shot him square in his damned chest and we counter-charged them, and thank the seven they broke with the shock of losing their commander and that my men fought like desperate mad men with reckless abandon Ser Kevan, I owe them my life, and we rebuilt as much as we could before we were recalled much to the surprise of the messenger that expected to find just a leveled tower, but instead ended up finding us or a fourth of what I had"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:14 am

"
What a brutal fight and that over a mere tower! Indeed, the battles at the stepstones must have been brutal. I think your story holds more than one lesson and not only for the defenders in a siege. Had that Faalih shown more caution so close to his victory, he would surely have defeated you and leveled that fortification, but his last misstep cost him dearly!

I had the chance to get to know the Wrecker Jon at a Tourney last year, but I could not imagine to meet another hero from the stepstones so soon! I guess you know Prince Daemon personally then?"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:28 pm

"
No, heroes fight under the view of important people and siege important places, or are lucky and become one"
Ereth nods to himself "
I pass for a fair swordsman, Jon was better fighter than me, but I'm a better commander of men. My men were the heroes Ser Kevan, they were all 'wrecker' jon's holding the enemy on crumbled walls with their life, fighting tooth and nail. They were standard bearers holding true despite their loses never letting it fall down. They were 'Red' Raynalds fighting in a gruesome way, giving no quarter and butchering their enemies"
taking a drink of water "
I'm no hero Ser Kevan, just another Frey that has a knack at commanding men"
eating some food and give small pause.

"
Faalih mistake was his desperation to take the tower and over confidence that numbers over quality could give him victory. The fact that we fortified the tower, walls, and set traps inside and outside. My men wore mail, his wore leather or some manner of colorful rags. When you plan to lead, you must consider the quality of your troops, what they can achieve realisticly, morale, equipment, logistics of your campaign, and then what you can do. Will your men fight to their last breath or flee after taking heavy losses, is your presence enough to rally them or what does?"
Ereth keeps eating some more.

"
Know yourself and your men and you can win any battle you fight, because you will know which ones to avoid Ser Kevan. Books and experienced commanders can tell you how or what, but you arent fighting with his men or you like him. Im an infantry man, most like cavalry and that's fine, as long as you can adapt, and dont expect to always win, sometimes you cannot stop fate, luck or whatever from tsking victory from you. Regarding the prince I know him, but only in passing and not much more, only heroes and important knights and lords do"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:59 pm

"
Hero or not, your stories paint the picture of an interesting man, Lord Redwain. But let us leave such a grim topic behind. How are the preparations for your wedding going then? Will it take place on House Longshore's lands or your own? Who is invited and more importantly"
a smile accompanying his word: "
how many knights are expected to participate in the joust? After being the runner-up in Riverrun, I hope forward to compete once again!"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:49 pm

"
The wedding will be in my lands Ser Kevan, I hope to keep it neutral in tone"
meaning politically speaking, he remains neutral despite how things are.

Ereth runs through the names from the top of his head

Lord Jasper Wylde
Lord Gorman Tully
Ser Eoric Tully
Lord Forrest Frey of the Crossing
Lord Jon Charlton of Hollyholt
Lord Rickart Nayland of Hag's Mire
Lord Miraz Erenford of Heronhurst
Lord Perrin Haigh of Broadmoor
Lord Ferris Longshore
Lord Yoren Longshore
Lord Davian Bartheld
Nathaniel Mason
Ser Jon Roxton
Lord Benedict Marsten
Ser Kevan Lyras
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Tymon Lannister
Lord Dunstan Tullison
Ser Theomore Tullison

"
Of course all their lady wives and yours are included, but it's a small tournament, so expect about fifty to one hundred knights or so. My own Castellan the crimson stag will be participating he does quite well so it will be fun to watch the joust. Lord Forrest Frey intends to participate also"
he seems lost in thought "
I think I also invited House Terrick, but not the Mallister's it would be wasting ink and parchment there"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Kevan listens closely, as Lord Redwain lists all the invited nobles. He does not know all of them, but at least he recognizes most of the House's names from his time squiring in the Riverlands.
"
It seems like all of Lord Frey's bannermen will attend! And the master of laws himself, impressive! Lord Frey is a good jouster, that much I remember from the Tourney at Riverrun. I am looking forward to the Wedding and meeting your bride!"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

"
It's natural to have all of the Frey bannermen as I'm also one of them myself and invited most neighboring lords and of course the lord paramount and his son Ser Eoric. A great man and between us hopefully better representation of a Tully than his father has been lately"
drinking some cider at the table "
Yes, lord Forrest is quite the jouster and is looking forward to crossing lances with you more than likely"
Ereth smiles approvingly.

[ooc]Throw me a bone here lol, Ereth does not know Corrine is the boss of House Marsten lol instead of Ben[/ooc]
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm

"
It is certainly a good omen that young Ser Eoric is honoring your wedding my Lord. Not every marriage in the Riverlands can say that. On the topic of invitations: It is actually Lady Corrine Marsten who is the head of House Marsten. I'd suggest to take that into account on your invitation letter"
, Kevan replied with a friendly smile.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Ereth raises an eye brow "
Nothing wrong with that I suppose, to each his own. Do you have what I need to write them a letter Ser Kevan, might as well do the changes here"

lord Marsten must be weak or rather strange, no surprise they are Blacks though

"
Yes, I'm glad they are all coming, I did fear the refusal of some people in the list if I'm honest"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 pm

"
Sure, help yourself Lord Redwain"
, he replied motioning to a small desk in the back of his pavillion, where ink and pen stood.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Ereth is quick to fix things with what he has at hand, taking his time to write it right and proper, before sealing it with wax and his ring "
Lady Corrine Marsten of Hartshorn and her husband lord Benedict Marsten"
This has an awkward sound and wrong ring to it, no wonder the green's don't like it. It even sounds wrong... Ereth shrugs and gives it to Ser Kevan.

"
Fixed the mistake, and thank you for correcting me, I would have never guessed that lady Corrine is the ruling woman of her House. Not very common thing Ser Kevan"
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next