Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son

2 posters

Go down

[D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son Empty [D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 pm

A break had formed in the debates and conversation while lunch was brought out. Septon Arlyn made his way to the corner and waited for Lord Baelon to arrive, his arms crossed on a slightly defensive posture.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son Empty Re: [D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:38 am

"
Ah Septon, good. I wanted to talk to you about an idea I had. I think it could go a long way to making peace in the area last, but it has some hurdles to be overcome. I was hoping to tap into your expertise to see if it is even feasible. There is a man I know in the area, a good and wise man. Further, he has intimate knowledge of the heartbreak that can be caused by this feud. I think he would make for an excellent tutor for Lord Benjicot."

He pauses for a moment, gathering his words.

"
The first issue is whether or not he is willing. Formerly a Brother at the Septry here, he has left the society of men to be a hermit. In your experience with the faith, do those who find solace in solitude ever rejoin society?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

[D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son Empty Re: [D7 MA] A Septon and a Dragon's son

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:09 am

Septon Arlyn listens intently to Baelon before responding, "
there have been those who stay with the brothers for a time, before the gods show them a different path to travel. Perhaps this brother you speak of found the message and serenity he was seeking. Maybe he was being prepared by the gods to be a mentor to young Lord Benjicot Blackwood. The difficultly may lie in convincing those who worship the old gods to let a man of the seven teach their head of House."
Septon Arlyn looks to Baelon with questioning look, "
who is this brother you speak of? Is it brother Turpin?"
I doubt that he would be a good candidate. He has too much hated in his heart.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:35 am

Baelon scratches the back of his neck, looking mildly sheepish.

"
Yes, I anticipate that will be the harder task - I just thought to save us the difficulty if the former was impossible. It may be even harder than you think, for this Brother Kyle used to be Ser Kyle. Ser Kyle Bracken."

He sighs - exhaustion perhaps, or frustration.

"
He chose to serve the gods in part to get away from his family and this feud, which he wisely felt was foolish. Now I going to be asking him to enter right back into the thick of it. If I did not think it necessary for Lord Benjicot to come to know Brackens that are not filled with hate, I would not even consider asking it of him. Still, I can think of no one better for the job."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:51 pm

"
Ser Kyle Bracken?"
questions Septon Arlyn. "
So he is both a man of the seven, and a Bracken?"
Septon Arlyn's brow furrows. if we could accomplish such a thing, then perhaps it would show young Lord Benjicot Blackwood that it is not the family or the Faith that holds the hated in their hearts, but the individual...

Septon Arlyn slowly begins to nod his head, his chins moving in agreement, "
so you think that having a brother and a Bracken teach young Lord Benjicot Blackwood is a good idea."
Septon Arlyn looks deeply into Lord Baelon's purple eyes. "
I think your idea has some merit, if this brother Bracken has truly found peace. However, I would wish to speak with him, and see if he is amniable to such a position. We should also have someone speak with Ser Myles, to find out what his opinion on such a matter would be. I doubt I would be a good candidate for such an endeavor, as they might see it as a Septon trying to push the Faith into a young, impressionable, Blackwood. Perhaps your Lady wife might be suited to such a task?"

Last edited by 167 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 pm

"
You have grasped precisely what I was going for. I have some rapport with Brother Kyle, and feel I would be the best suited to approach him first. Of course, Ser Myles would want to meet him before agreeing to anything, so that would need to be arranged, but should not be too difficult if both men are willing. Of course, it would also need to be made clear to both that Brother Kyle would only be a tutor on secular matters - not to convert Lord Benjicot to the seven."

He pauses.

"
Thank you, Septon, for hearing me out. I think there are many here who would oppose any suggestion I made simply for the fact that it was my idea. Though we have not always seen eye to eye, I had a feeling that you might be one of the more reasonable ones here. I wish first and foremost for peace here."
He chuckles a little. "
If peace weren't enough, it should also be clear that peace here is a victory for Lady Corrine, which bolsters the Black position. Of course I am all for peace, for numerous reasons. On the other hand, that may be why some are so set on tearing apart House Bracken and destabilizing the area...."

He stops himself.

"
... but I did not wish to speak of politics. Let us focus on peace, for that is of higher importance than Green or Black. I will speak with Lady Gwyneth, and perhaps we can convince Lady Sofia of the wisdom of this plan now that she is here. The support of Lord Benjicot's sister would surely help sway Ser Miles."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 pm

"
Peace is our highest priority, but I fear that without the removal of Ser Tyron, even Brother Kyles positive influence might be squandered. As a close cousins opinion very well might matter more then a teachers. I know Lady Corrine favors the wall, and truth be told I would prefer for him to go up there and freeze his balls off as well. Unfortunately you are correct that we can not force him to move. However Lady Drakesons idea of merely a fine will not be enough to stop Ser Tyron Blackwood. I've spoken with him and heard his confession. He feels that he was clearly justified in causing all those smallfolk to starve and suffer, claiming that it was merely a cost of war,"
Septon Arlyn snorts at the thought. "
Ser Tyron will probably chalk up whatever fine we chose to impose on him as another 'cost of war', and will perpetuate the feud as soon as we leave,"
Septon Arlyn looks at Baelon carefully.

"
If our goal is to truly bring peace to these two houses, then we must remove him to a place where he is not able to strike against House Bracken. I am afraid that even removing his son Jojen to House Bracken would not stop his attacks. For he may view it as a challenge, or at worst he might hope to sacrifice his son to draw the rest of House Blackwood into the conflict again. I truly believe that Ser Tyron Blackwoods hatred of the brackens knows no bounds. He was proud of his actions, of damaging the Brackens lands and small folks livelihoods, as well as attempting to draw the Darries into the conflict against the Brackens."
explains Septon Arlyn."
However if we are to move Ser Tyron away from the Brackens, and remove the opportunity for him to strike against the Brackens and gain the 'Glory' then he might be more willing to consider the idea of sacrificing himself by going to the wall for his son,"
continues Septon Arlyn.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 pm

"
I would agree, but now that Ser Steffon is barred from taking the black, we must be rid of the wall clause altogether. Ser Tyron left to wreak havoc would be terrible for peace, but compared to a collapsing House Bracken it would be harmless. One man may do much ill, but to essentially invite the surrounding houses to carve up Bracken properties would create warfare on an even larger scale than has already happened. No, we must strike that clause and deal with Ser Tyron solely on the merits of his own crimes."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 am

"
You are correct, we must be mindful not to weaken the houses too much, as outside influences may wish to divide the lands of Bracken and Blackwood up if we leave them too weak. However, this is the punishment I think would be fitting for Ser Tryon Blackwood.

Ser Tyron Blackwood will be exiled to the stepstones, under pain of death, for ten years or until he repays his debts incurred to House Bracken and House Darry during the course of his tenure as acting commander of the Blackwoods heavy cavalry and forces along the Darry border, whichever come later. His son, Jojen Blackwood, shall also be the squire to Lord Haig. Ser Tyron Blackwood may instead, in acceptance of his crimes against House Bracken, House Darry, and the smallfolk, opt to take the Black as penitence for his crimes, and his son may grow up in raventree hall with his Liege, Lord Benjicot Blackwood, and learn under the tutelage of Ser Myles Blackwood instead.

Also in the treaty I believe it may be wise to add.

In recognition of family that has been lost, and an effort to join the two families more closely together, It is the royal investigators suggestion to bind Ser Myles Blackwood to Lady Kerry Bracken and Ser Wyll Bracken to Lady Alysanne Blackwood in marriage, as recognition that familial ties will strengthen both houses against outside influences that may wish to unjustly claim the Blackwoods or Brackens lands.

That way it is stated in the treaty, and we can work on convincing the various parties after the treaty has been signed."
Septon Arlyn finishes. "
We might also want to throw a celebration for the small folk to give them hope. after all these troubling involvements and near rebellion I think it would do good for us to leave the small folk with a happy memories of when the royal peacekeepers came, as I'm afraid most of the small folk view us rather as an occupying force than an actual peacekeeping mission."
explains Septon Arlyn.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:09 pm

"
That may be enough for Ser Tyron - though I would say that exile from Westeros or even just from the Riverlands would be sufficient and might the punishment seem less unjust. Specifying the Stepstones is problematic as we cannot predict what the conditions there will be for the next ten years. Let him go where he will - even find employment with some other lord - just so long as he is kept removed from both Bracken and Blackwood."

He runs a hand through his silver hair, pondering the Septon's other point.

"
I trust Ser Myles not to hold Lady Kerry's family against her. However, I am concerned that Lady Alysanne would have no such assurances in House Bracken. I would trust Lord Haig not to abuse her, but I do not know his son well enough to say one way or the other. If Ser Wyll were to resent being wed to her, he might do much and worse. Certainly, she would be denied the freedom to pursue her less lady-like inclinations. Of course, should Ser Wyll seek to harm her, it might be his blood on the wedding sheets, not hers. Not that that would be any better for the peace."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Septon Arlyn chuckles darkly at that visual, "
It would end badly for Ser Wyl to try to restrain the freedom of black Ally."
Septon Arlyn nods. "
However, from my conversations with Ser Wyl I believe that he is a good man and true knight. I do not think that he would harm Lady Alysanne, for he is a man who takes his vows seriously. Even In persuing the blackwoods across the border he stated it was to protect the mill that the bracken small folk depend on to grind their gains so that they can make flour to eat with."
Septon Arlyn thinks for a moment, "
I think it would be more difficult to convince Lady Alysanne Blackwood that the marriage would be a good fit, but I doubt the conversation would be a doomed to failure."
Comments Septon Aryn. "
For she has been on the far borders of the Blackwood land, guarding against your very fears of outside houses attempting to divide the Houses lands. If She could be convinced that by marrying Ser Wyl Bracken more of the Blackwoods forces could defend against outside incursions from other houses, and that she could help manage to keep the ceassfire alive that Lord Haig agreed to, then I believe that we might have a chance of seeing that union to fruition."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:30 pm

"
I've not met the lady, but if she is more of Ser Tyron's temperament than Ser Myles, it may not matter how well or ill she is treated. Beyond that, House Bracken is known for putting custom above reason. As unwise as it would be to restrain Lady Alysanne's freedoms, I suspect both Lord Haigh and Ser Wyll would see her actions as too unseemly for a proper Andal lady, and thus believe that such behavior on her part to be lowering House Bracken's reputation. Being inclined as many Greens are to seeing women as little more than mindless chattel they would likely deem it fit to restrict those freedoms, heedless - or rather, blindly and willfully ignorant - of the consequences."

He frowns.

"
She's just a woman - the weaker sex - unfit for rule or leading soldiers. How much threat could she be?"
He adds sarcastically, putting voice to a typical Green mindset.

He scoffs disdainfully at that line of thinking. Woe to any man that underestimates what women can do.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Damn these green and black politicking! If anything is more disruptive to finding peace I don't know what that could be. "
you are correct of course, that the Bracken's may try and restrain Lady Ally's freedom. That in itself may cause certain members of this committee to reject the deal outright."
of course my oversight of politics yet again strangles an adequate solution. "
my thoughts were not on green and Black's though, it was more of trying to merge the Blackwood's line and Bracken line doubly. But as your astute observations pointed out there is more then the fued between these two houses to consider. As far as Lady Ally's heart goes, from my interaction with her she dies not seem to hate the Bracken's as much as Ser Tyron."
I doubt anyone could do that, "
but she has done her duty in protecting the Blackwood's lands, thus has killed summer Bracken's. But I expect the same could be said about Ser Wyl"
finishes Septon Arlyn.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm

"
In this case I think it has less to be about political affiliation as the beliefs and motivations that drive some towards that affiliation."

He shrugs.

"
I fought on behalf of House Bracken with House Marsten, and killed Blackwood soldiers. Lord Benedict on behalf of House Blackwood with House Tullison, and I have no doubt he killed Bracken soldiers. It doesn't mean anything about our politics or our views on women. Every situation is more complicated than Green vs. Black."
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

"
Being more complicated then greens vs Black's might be true, but the fact remains that it is one of the hurdles that must be overcome. Unfortunately I know of no one else in the Blackwood's household that we could marry to a Bracken to help ensure peace. I'm sure that other peace treaties have included marriages before, but I don't know of any including the double marriage of Bracken's and Blackwood's together. Perhaps that would be one of the things that could help tie these houses together so that me can leave the valley more peaceful then when we arrived."
although I doubt that anything could stop them from fighting for good.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:56 pm

"
If I did not fear that the marriage would end in bloodshed, I would wholeheartedly agree. While I do not begrudge Ser Kevan his wedded bliss, Lady Sofia would have been a far better option for this. Alas, what cannot be simply cannot be. No, I cannot agree that a marriage between Ser Wyl and Lady Alysanne would promote peace. One marriage will have to do."

EDIT: spelling.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 pm

"
Then at least this we can agree on. the marriage between Lady Kerry Bracken and Ser Myles Blackwood."
SEpton Arlyn pauses for a moment then states, "
But who should marry them? to marry them beneath a wierwood tree might offend the brackens, yet a marriage in front of a Septon might make the Blackwood's ill at ease. To leave it to them to sort out would certainly be cause for renewed arguments."
Septon Arlyn drums his fingers against his thigh. Perhaps we should have that Fire worshiper Yoren marry them, or a priest to the drowned god incite both houses against whoever marries them. Nothing brings people closer together then a united hatred of a thing Septon Arlyn thinks sarcastically.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Baelon shrugs.
"
This is not the first marraige between the old faith and the new. I'm sure there must be some record of what was done previously. My first thought is to have it done by the a Septon in front of a weirwood. It doesn't seem that complicated to me - but then I've never officiated a wedding, maybe there is some nuance I am missing."

He sees Corrine returning to the front of the tent.

"
It seems the meeting is reconvening. we should probably return to our seats. Thank you Septon;
as I expected your expertise has been invaluable."

[/scene?]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:36 pm

"
Very well, hopefully this process will be over soon. I'm pretty sure I have a new imprint of my chair on my ass."
Septon Arlyn chuckles and makes his way over to the chair he had just chastised, and takes a seat, shifting slightly on order to relieve some pressure.

[/Scene]
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down