Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed)

3 posters

Go down

[D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed) Empty [D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Daveth arrived with Lady Corrine at the Godswood, to meet with Lady Alysane, and her chaperone, Ser Myles. He'd fortunately predicted quite how much time he'd spend fussing over his own clothes, and so they were arriving promptly. Still, he was pleased with the result, projecting a confidence he still didn't quite feel. Better was that the downpour that had so assailed them earlier in the day had died off, leaving a comfortable freshness to the air.

I'm not sure if they wanted to make a political point by arranging for the meeting to happen here, but I'm grateful for it regardless. As they reached the outskirts, he took a moment to rest a palm against the nearest tree, close his eyes, and let the gods support him, as they had done so many times before during difficult times of his life. And compared to those times, this is nothing. He lets the serenity fill him, draining his nervousness away. Offering thanks, he lowers his arm and opens his eyes, throwing a slightly apologetic smile towards Lady Corrine for the delay.

He turns back to the route deeper in, and they continue, Daveth now feeling almost as confident as his clothing implied.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed) Empty Re: [D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed)

Post by Reader Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 pm

[OOC: placeholder]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed) Empty Re: [D8,ME]Matchmaker... (Part 3) (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:02 am

"
All will be well,"
Corrine reassures Daveth with her gentlest voice. "
We have done plenty of praying, between us, and you look very dashing."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Lady Alysanne Blackwood rounded the corner, arm in arm with House Blackwood's regent, Ser Myles, who fell back respectfully with a nod in Daveth's direction.

"
Black Aly"
the famed commander of Blackwood's archers in countless skirmishes against the hated Brackens seemed transformed, her hair up in last season's style and wearing a gown lifted a little off the ground to reveal riding boots, her outfit's sole concession to the weather. She ran a hand through her family's ancient woods in a gesture that would seem affected from most, but appeared to come naturally to the thin young woman. She seemed scarcely broad enough to draw a longbow, despite the rumours of her prowess.

She curtsied gracefully to both "
Lord Daveth"
and "
Lady Marsten"
, without any of the tomboy awkwardness that might have been expected from the tales.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Daveth gives Lady Corrine's words a small smile and a nod. When the Blackwoods appear, and Ser Myles gives him a nod, Daveth gives him a slightly deeper nod in response.

And then he takes in Lady Alysane. Gods. How in the hells is this woman not married yet? He swallows to clear his throat as he bows respectfully in response.

"
Lady Alysane. A pleasure to meet you. Rumour does not do you justice. This evening finds you well, I hope?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Corribe curtsies to Lady Alysanne and Ser Myles, then lets Daveth approach more closely. She edges over in Ser Myles' direction, so that they can quietly talk while they chaperone.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Ser Myles spoke politely with Lady Marsten, discussing various method of debating style, which methods of learning suit various personalities and enquiring as to whether or not she had ever had the pleasure of visiting Oldtown. All the while he took care to keep Daveth and Alysanne within his eyeline - he had heard more than enough of Garret Snow's passions, and there was some recent evidence that he step-brother shared such tendencies. Alysanne was enough of a challenge without rumours of pre-marital affairs dogging her.That, and he loved the strong willed young woman.

"
The evening finds me well Lord Daveth - Spring evenings are too dark for archery practice, although Robb says we should practice under all conditions - one cannot always choose when to land a shot."

Alysanne speeds up as she warms to her topic and leaves formalities behind.

She sighs and inclines her head in apology.

"
Listen to me forget my lessons and harp on about marksmanship. I can but hope we are out of Ser Myles' earshot. Lady Corrine will have charmed him anyway - she would be the darling of a tourney even if a score of Velaryon maids were in attendance."

"
If my lord will forgive me a bold question?"

She pauses, awaiting affirmation or the conversation being steered elsewhere.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Daveth smiles and waves away the apology. It's not like he wasn't used to being around people enthusing over martial pursuits. And he nods at her assessment of Lady Corrine's charm. That and her prestige were a good part of why he'd asked her to come, after all.

At her question, he nods. "
Ask away. If our relatively limited time is to prove fruitful, it is best we avoid dancing around what we want as much as possible."

Why did you sleep with one of my servants?
Why did you want the man who educated me to die a slow, painful death?
Have you ever loved somebody romantically before?

Shut. Up.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:33 pm

"
My thanks."

A delicate pause. Daveth's fears are not fulfilled, at least not yet. Lady Alysanne is perhaps unaware of what Ser Myles knows of Daveth's activities, being only recently returned to Raventree Hall, or at the very least is too polite to hint at such matters or considers them an irrelevance.

[OOC: if you touch on such matters in conversation you can roll Awareness (empathy) at TN 13 to attempt to read her reaction.]

"
You asked me how I found the evening and I confess it set my mind to wondering as we wander."

"
Some men may say it is evening for the ancient House Blackwood and the shadows draw near, yet it is a clear Spring morning for the young House Coldbrook."

"
Whether or not we are a personal match..."

A gentle smile.

"
... Are we not ill-matched in our houses in age and drawing from the same roots for strength? After all, some men say a bow of a single wood is weaker than the Eastern compound bows."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Daveth considers the question for a few seconds, attempting to untie the knot of metaphor she'd wrapped her query in, then slowly nods. "
I could try and talk about old wood and new wood, how the old wood has durability, while the young wood has flexibility, and together they make those compound bows you refer to, but I think it's best to view things another way."

He pauses a moment for emphasis. "
Lack.

"
Now, you asked me a bold question, so I hope you will forgive me for answering in a similarly bold way.

"
You say we draw our strength from the same roots. And it is true that we both follow the Old gods. But, as much as they give me personal strength, they do not give House Coldbrook power, which I judge as the ability to accomplish things within and beyond our borders. It is House Coldbrook's military strength that gives us power - that's what we trade on, that's what we use to gain advantage.

"
In my view, House Blackwood's power comes from its influence - while you have impressive military power, much of it is tied up in protecting your lands, yet there is not a noble in the land who has not at least heard of your house, and many of them share some degree of blood with you as well.

"
While I would not say House Blackwood is seeing shadows draw near, it is certainly true that the recent conflict has weakened you militarily, and the treaty deliberately limits your ability to re-arm. While it does the same for the Brackens, you have other ambitious neighbours, who may well believe that your strength has now reached its nadir and seek to take advantage. Having a house with a strong military reputation newly sworn to protect your lands against aggression would likely do much to make them reconsider.

"
Similarly, as you have noted, what House Coldbrook most lacks is history. Prestige. Respect. Things your house has in ample supply.

"
You are right that our houses lie at opposite extremes in terms of age. But we can both use the other to address what we currently lack."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Alysanne smiles warmly as her own imagery is adapted and deployed against her.

"
As your Lord father is to military matters so you are to oratory it seems?"

Her hand rests on an ancient tree trunk as she speaks, tracing its history.

She frees her hand and offers the arm to Daveth as they walk.

"
I will forgive your boldness as you have so generously forgiven mine."

"
Boldness should be met with boldness, strength with strength, even if it is the strength to withdraw and enfold rather than a headlong rush."

She enjoys the evening air as they walk in silence for some moments.

"
We are but young, much like your house. What do you currently lack?"

"
For my own part I know all too well what men say I lack, but there is naught I can do of that."

"
Would you keep me free to follow my callings? I confess it seems beyond hope to both serve my family by advantageous marriage, or at least a not disadvantageous one, yet not subordinate my own happiness."

She stops suddenly.

"
Such behaviour probably tempts the wrath of the gods - joys oft exist only to be snatched away later and test us."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 am

Daveth smiles and nods thanks at the compliment, and takes her arm when offered.

"
What do I lack, m'lady?"
a younger brother. "
I would say there's a fair few options I could say, but the one I feel that weighs on me most heavily is my complete lack of martial aptitude. Speaking frankly, I have neither the physical nor mental aptitude to fulfil what one day, may it be in the distant future, will be my martial duties. Nor do I have the time or temperament to correct that. It is expected and required of a lord that they be willing and able to lead and fight alongside their armies, along with their master of arms. And I can't, and won't.

"
For an ordinary house, this is a definite disadvantage. For House Coldbrook, focused on martial matters as we are, I believe it to be much worse. A lord who cannot touch the heart of the house is barely worthy of being called such.

"
Our intention is for my brother to be my master of arms, but that alone is not enough. By definition, a master or arms must focus on martial matters, must petition the lord for support of martial matters. Just as the maester, steward, and everyone petition him for attention and resources in matters relating to their areas of expertise.

"
The Lord must have a true and balanced understanding of the martial matters, so as to give it the attention and support it needs, but not lavish resources on it that would better be spent elsewhere. That is the lord's role there. Understanding and perspective. A role I can't fulfil.

"
But you could."

A passionate spark enters Daveth's eyes. "
You ask me if I would *permit* you to continue your martial exploits? No. I don't *permit* them. I *require* them. There will be times when ... your physical condition would prevent you from marching with the forces, but aside from those times, I would need you there. Being my eyes, ears, and voice. Not only winning the existing conflict, but understanding the issues that arise to ensure we win the next, and the next after that, with as few losses as possible.

"
And that is in addition to all the usual duties of a lady. If in truth, you seek a life of leisure, I cannot give you that. Frankly, I will require of you hard work and sacrifice. But, in exchange, we could together forge a strong foundation for our children to build a truly great house on."

Daveth pauses, clearly mentally runs over everything he's just said, and coughs lightly, slightly embarrassed. "
I may have run a little ahead of matters. My apologies. My house is a subject I am rather passionate about."

He continues, quieter. "
I don't know what the future would bring. I can't make any promises."
he pauses. "
No, that's not quite true. I could offer you one. The same one I make to my house every day. 'I'll do my best.' That's all."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:01 am

Daveth is normally inscrutable regarding the depth of feeling towards his dear departed brother, but some nascent bond between the heir to Castle Grenward and Lady Alysanne. She places her free hand on his linked arm briefly in unspoken reassurance.

[OOC: wrong NPC name used and dice pool, but having her spend a DP to hit this dice pool as it feels thematically important and covers my error. [url=Awareness (empathy)][/url]: 5d6k4 17

"
Passion for one's house, for one's duty is something you need never apologise for Lord Daveth."

The two walked for sometime, discussing smaller matters. Briefly they were just two young souls on a wet spring day, taking advantage of a short break in the rain.

The particulars of any betrothal negotiations would need to be left to a subsequent meeting with Ser Myles Blackwood, although he had already given the match implicit endorsement by agreeing to Corrine's suggested walk. House Blackwood's regent was no fool and he knew Alysanne's worth as a bride, despite her eccentricities...

[/scene after any parting words/final question and we can crunch a quick intrigue for the marriage negotiations offstage. Your houses are still a reasonable distance apart in influence, but the couple are well matched in temperament and House Blackwood thinks well of many Coldbrooks, so a match is at least possible.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:57 pm

[ooc: If Daveth wishes, Corrine is happy to assist in negotiations.]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:20 pm

[Lady Corrine's assistance would indeed be very much appreciated. When your main flaw is a lack of status, high-status friends are a very good asset. :;
): Thank you.]

Daveth spends the time pleasantly talking. By the end, he's not overwhelmed by any feelings of passion, rather the feeling is ... comfort. Would that be enough to help him overcome the disadvantage of his house's relatively low status? Only time would tell.

[No particular final words. How should we crunch the intrigue?]
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:23 pm

[Intrigue with Ser Myles and Ser Colyn beckons, perhaps with Alysanne replacing Ser Colyn, depending on how duty tugs at her]

I'll PM default outcome if everyone goes straight to yield alongside outcomes for either side winning]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:12 pm

When the time comes for the wedding negotiations, they go smoothly, with Daveth ably supported by Lady Corrine, making arguments based on logic and reasoning. Ser Myles, however, is a canny negotiator, and favours drawing on historical precedent for his arguments, rather than appeals to emotion.

Despite the revelation of the deal with Lord Tully regarding the warding of his heir, relatively quickly, both sides come to an agreement, with Daveth only mildly wincing on the inside as he shakes on it. He'll have to pay a good sum of money and give some sergeants to House Blackwood, as well as owing them a favour, to make up for the difference in status, but overall, the deal could have been a lot worse for House Coldbrook.

It's right and fitting that the wife's family pay the husband's family a fair dowry, so you're only doing your duty.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down